GBP to THB Exchange Rate

Mr Waffley objects.

Have you ever considered contributing to the subject matter Yosh rather than constantly telling all and sundry that every debate is nothing but hot air! Your idea that posters must always back up any subject matter with firm action rules out the possibility of accademic debate ever, and anyway, what makes you so certain that people have not!

Idle discussion cannot be labelled academic debate, but nice try. Hot air is just talking for the sake of it. Oh I am certain alright. I only know one person who has acted significantly recently and profited from taking a position. Finally sold his apartment for over 5 million baht and jumped to convert when the £ dropped below 45 baht. He made a few thousand on that one. Its called skin in the game. Most of you are just nickel and diming so your 'predictions' should be treated as confetti.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^ when the music stops, same like last time, they type in a few more magic numbers and buy their own debt and presto it starts again. Based on last time £ could drop by 30% or more maybe if its a worse crises since banks and sovereign in trouble together. Life will probably role on though. Buying opertunity for riding the next wave.

Mr Waffley objects.

Have you ever considered contributing to the subject matter Yosh rather than constantly telling all and sundry that every debate is nothing but hot air! Your idea that posters must always back up any subject matter with firm action rules out the possibility of accademic debate ever, and anyway, what makes you so certain that people have not!

Idle discussion cannot be labelled academic debate, but nice try. Hot air is just talking for the sake of it. Oh I am certain alright. I only know one person who has acted significantly recently and profited from taking a position. Finally sold his apartment for over 5 million baht and jumped to convert when the £ dropped below 45 baht. He made a few thousand on that one. Its called skin in the game. Most of you are just nickel and diming so your 'predictions' should be treated as confetti.

My post/confetti/skin in the game from one week ago:

"First car cashed out and profit already take, bought CRV new for 1.2 mill at 70 baht per Pound, sold two years ago for 670k and converted back into Pounds at 45, cost of ownership over seven years, GBP 2,250. CM Condo bought for 6.4 mill at 70, sold for 6.4 mill at 51, now renting". thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gifthumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif

From this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/665914-is-thailand-in-trouble-or-not/page-4

Except you know, I think it's kinda tacky to post too much of that sort of thing! Now perhaps we can get back to the debate.

There's lots of possibilities but the central theme is that the Fed will begin to taper QE and that will cause USD to strengthen as funds flow out of THB into USD, causing THB to weaken. It should be a good test of how strong or not THB really is based on the degree of movement and intervention.

Here's a test, what's going to happen to GBP/THB this week as a result of the next meeting of the Fed, where will the pair end the week, up or down and by how much?

my bets are in ,it will be either stronger or weaker ,

Yes, another pointless question. A more relevant question might be if someone was right in the middle of the process of buying a property for say 3 million and the money was sitting in the bank waiting to be converted to baht, should the buyer convert now or wait 1 week/1month? That's the question. The answer? Convert now. Take what's on the table.

One of the great things about social forums such as this is that people can sit back and simply pour poo on what ever another person had said, completely out of context, six, twelve or even sixty months ago, without ever having to exercise any of their own grey matter or stick their neck out even a millimeter - as far as mass media entertainment for the uneducated masses goes, no wonder the concept is so sucessful.

I've read back about six months, what stands out to me is that your predictions were always 100% wrong.

Maybe you just happen to be unlucky!

@Yoshi

I agreed to buy my gf a house in January, converted the money last Friday at 50, saved myself 14% since I agreed to buy.

(Assuming she doesn't kick me out after we transfer next week)

Edited by FiftyTwo

Here's a test, what's going to happen to GBP/THB this week as a result of the next meeting of the Fed, where will the pair end the week, up or down and by how much?

Yes, another pointless question. A more relevant question might be if someone was right in the middle of the process of buying a property for say 3 million and the money was sitting in the bank waiting to be converted to baht, should the buyer convert now or wait 1 week/1month? That's the question. The answer? Convert now. Take what's on the table.

Id say now as opposed to 1 month, this few weeks of propaganda will come to an end shortly and the reality that UK government debt is rising by 130 or so billion a year will come back to fore of the debate.

The exercise is about making people think about the process and what's involved in it rather than any answer to the question!

Id say now as opposed to 1 month, this few weeks of propaganda will come to an end shortly and the reality that UK government debt is rising by 130 or so billion a year will come back to fore of the debate.

Agreed, very much.

A number of different angles on this:

The first is the retiree whose income is fixed and when the exchange rate becomes so unfavorable they will have no choice but to leave.

The second is that there are those who want to see a really strong Baht in order to make the switch and finance their UK objectives.

There's no choice for the first group and the second group certainly wouldn't have any regrets, if their financial objectives had been met - I'm in the second group. :)

A number of different angles on this:

The first is the retiree whose income is fixed and when the exchange rate becomes so unfavorable they will have no choice but to leave.

The second is that there are those who want to see a really strong Baht in order to make the switch and finance their UK objectives.

There's no choice for the first group and the second group certainly wouldn't have any regrets, if their financial objectives had been met - I'm in the second group. smile.png

By 'make the switch' I assume you mean return to the UK ? Personally, I cant imagine what that first Winter would be like for a returning expat after decades in the tropics, but I guess that's just me. Having just come out of my last Winter in Oz (and a mild one at that) I won't miss slate grey skies and subzero mornings one bit : YMMV.

Edited by MrWorldwide

USD has weakened against GBP but THB has strengthened against GBP, perhaps THB can stand on its own two feet after all! But increasingly there are those who claim that GBP is over valued, time will tell, me, I'm going to spend some GBP and buy USD.

Edited by chiang mai

looking at the charts on the bbc today I see the £ is up against the $ yet £ is down against the bht, strangely it looks like the rate in the UK is better than here! Still its above 50 so hey ho.

On primarily blind faith, and a bit of amateur technical analysis I think there's some growth left in the £, I think $1.62 and B$52 within the next 30 days.

One of the great things about social forums such as this is that people can sit back and simply pour poo on what ever another person had said, completely out of context, six, twelve or even sixty months ago, without ever having to exercise any of their own grey matter or stick their neck out even a millimeter - as far as mass media entertainment for the uneducated masses goes, no wonder the concept is so sucessful.

I've read back about six months, what stands out to me is that your predictions were always 100% wrong.

Maybe you just happen to be unlucky!

And of course if you never made a prediction then you'll never be wrong!

BTW flaming is against forum rules!

Edited by chiang mai

The other problem of course is the BOE do not want it to go higher ,but if it would get to 55baht to the pound then that would be nice ,but its hard to really judge What shape Thailand is in (forgeting their large fund of dollars) but i do think that there might be problems ahead ,and a housing bubble ,still what do i know