GBP to THB Exchange Rate

Thanks for that ,i like you think its in the lap of the Gods , and to guess what comes next takes not an expert ,but a soothsayer, and they can only be right 50% of the time at best

Edited by i claudius

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The psychology of this thread is fascinating; first of all it must be said that anyone who comes here expecting to find out what the exchange rate is going to be is a mug and deserves everything they get – of course it can’t be done with any accuracy better than 50% of the time and if you ever thought differently, your education was seriously at fault. Yet people still come here to try and find answers, here’s some of the things that happen:

Two or three people may be discussing the economy of say the UK, perhaps a specific event such as trade deficit or GDP growth and someone will make a statements like, “I think that looks Sterling positive” or similar and others may agree. Immediately, in the minds of some posters that is translated into, Sterling’s going to get stronger and because they need to transfer some funds for living expenses they bring the transfer forward. Two days later the exchange rate does the exact opposite of what they had expected and of course it’s the fault of the posters discussing the economic event earlier!

The other thing that happens repeatedly is folk loose there time frame context. People may agree a direction or one person may feel strongly about an economic event and conclude X and he/she may well be right. But then a week later the composition of the picture has changed again yet readers still cling to the earlier conclusion which of course is no longer valid – we’ve seen evidence of this scenario where forecasts of currency direction made earlier were still held to be true years later!

The final thing we see happen here is that many people can’t read and/or comprehend very well, a discussion about specific negative aspects of the UK economy does not mean those same people believe that the Thai economy is the exact opposite, that is not what was said or even implied.

So what should a reasonable person expect from a thread such as this? I think that if enough people provide constructive input from reliable sources it’s possible for folks to draw conclusions about the likely direction of a country’s economy and to increase the odds in their favour from 50% to say 51% or 52%. That in turn may well lead folks to conclude that, on the basis of probability, based on what is known today, all things remaining equal, the future direction of currency X could be this.

i don't possess any wisdom as far as exchange rates are concerned and i mentioned many times that i don't dare making any forecast no matter what timespan it pertains to.

Naam ,a question ,as you are the resident expert on money matters so all say ,i fortunatly made mine not having to know about exchange rates ,or any financials, as the thread is about thai baht to GPB ,do you in your wisdom think the pound will go down a bit ,up a bit ,or stay the same ?

investing in more than two dozen different currencies over a period of 35 years have taught me many -sometimes very harsh sad.png- lessons that forecasts are most of the times futile attempts or at best lucky guesses when they turn out correct.

having said so... i think the Pound is doing not badly vs. major as well as vs. minor currencies. i also think that outspoken pessimists like "mccw" and "chiang mai" use a selective approach to justify their negative thinking.

I think you'd agree that everyone has varying capability limits in different fields, certainly those who have spent their entire adult life working on a subject would be expected to be more capable than others. But if that is true, where are the views of those people and why are they not putting forward corrective advice here and helping everyone else to understand by using their expertise to help steer the debate?

There's a thousand or more critics of the content and style of this thread but there's only about three people who are actively trying to debate the various aspects by presenting data and drawing conclusions from it, everyone else seems to be sitting on the sidelines waiting to say, "you're wrong" but never explaining why! I for one would be most happy to sit back and learn quietly if a willing teacher and able leader were to take the lead here, it would after all allow me to reach my answers more quickly and accurately, but that hasn't happened and I wonder why that is!

The psychology of this thread is fascinating; first of all it must be said that anyone who comes here expecting to find out what the exchange rate is going to be is a mug and deserves everything they get – of course it can’t be done with any accuracy better than 50% of the time and if you ever thought differently, your education was seriously at fault. Yet people still come here to try and find answers, here’s some of the things that happen:

Two or three people may be discussing the economy of say the UK, perhaps a specific event such as trade deficit or GDP growth and someone will make a statements like, “I think that looks Sterling positive” or similar and others may agree. Immediately, in the minds of some posters that is translated into, Sterling’s going to get stronger and because they need to transfer some funds for living expenses they bring the transfer forward. Two days later the exchange rate does the exact opposite of what they had expected and of course it’s the fault of the posters discussing the economic event earlier!

The other thing that happens repeatedly is folk loose there time frame context. People may agree a direction or one person may feel strongly about an economic event and conclude X and he/she may well be right. But then a week later the composition of the picture has changed again yet readers still cling to the earlier conclusion which of course is no longer valid – we’ve seen evidence of this scenario where forecasts of currency direction made earlier were still held to be true years later!

The final thing we see happen here is that many people can’t read and/or comprehend very well, a discussion about specific negative aspects of the UK economy does not mean those same people believe that the Thai economy is the exact opposite, that is not what was said or even implied.

So what should a reasonable person expect from a thread such as this? I think that if enough people provide constructive input from reliable sources it’s possible for folks to draw conclusions about the likely direction of a country’s economy and to increase the odds in their favour from 50% to say 51% or 52%. That in turn may well lead folks to conclude that, on the basis of probability, based on what is known today, all things remaining equal, the future direction of currency X could be this.

Thanks for that...........

So what should a reasonable person expect from a thread such as this? I think that if enough people provide constructive input from reliable sources it’s possible for folks to draw conclusions about the likely direction of a country’s economy and to increase the odds in their favour from 50% to say 51% or 52%.

and with this 1 or 2% acquired additional knowledge it's a piece of cake to make the right decisions.

coffee1.gif

So what should a reasonable person expect from a thread such as this? I think that if enough people provide constructive input from reliable sources it’s possible for folks to draw conclusions about the likely direction of a country’s economy and to increase the odds in their favour from 50% to say 51% or 52%.

and with this 1 or 2% acquired additional knowledge it's a piece of cake to make the right decisions.

coffee1.gif

No of course not and you know that, the point is that all a person can hope to do is improve the odds marginally, it's all about managing your own expectations.

EDIT: the other thing that happens from being involved and/or following a discussion such as this is that people begin to understand what factors are involved in currency movements and their appreciation and understanding of economics in general is hieghtened, any education along those lines, no matter how small, has got to be a postive thing.

Edited by chiang mai

Assuming they can be bothered to follow and read all the jargon, links and lengthy posts and exhaustive chest pumpimg that appears to come from predominently 3 individuals who seem to have a problem keeping on track of gbp/thb and prefer to argue over who knows more and who got the biggest d**k!

Give it a break guys ! Its becoming very tedious !........IMHO

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 1

There is an ignore button. Use it on the 3 and problem solved. Enjoy the remaining thread content of guesses with out analysis, zero links or wider learning.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There is an ignore button. Use it on the 3 and problem solved. Enjoy the remaining thread content of guesses with out analysis, zero links or wider learning.

no way i would want to miss any 'anal'-ysis wink.png

Thanks for that...........

Tell me that you didn't just translate "many people" to mean you personally, if so thank you for proving my point.

Assuming they can be bothered to follow and read all the jargon, links and lengthy posts and exhaustive chest pumpimg that appears to come from predominently 3 individuals who seem to have a problem keeping on track of gbp/thb and prefer to argue over who knows more and who got the biggest d**k!

If you are being forced to read this thread you must tell them no, you don't want to, it's your right not to do so.

• Like 1

Oh look the pound is still strong.. Rule Britannia

50 is strong?

25% under the rate pre QE/ bail outs.

I'd say mediocre at best.

43 only a few months ago, a drop of 17% hanging there as a historic range/ possibility with out even any further QE needed to push it.

If you are being forced to read this thread you must tell them no, you don't want to, it's your right not to do so.

The thread isnt the problem, your persistent verbal diarrhoea and relentless arguing IS ! Just remember that its better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

there... there... Gentlemen! let's agree that some of us disagree. but in a civilised manner suitable for Members of the British Empire and a lonely Hun Jerry.

laugh.png

British Empire? I think you need to get out more.

honi soit qui mal y pense! wink.png

9_arms_of_the_most_noble_order_of_the_ga

My Old School Motto--Goodness Gracious.

The thread isnt the problem, your persistent verbal diarrhoea and relentless arguing IS ! Just remember that its better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Logitech sells a mouse that is capable, which, after minimal instruction, is capable of avoiding these threads - PM me and I'll help you find a nearby stockist!

Logitech sells a mouse that is capable, which, after minimal instruction, is capable of avoiding these threads - PM me and I'll help you find a nearby stockist!

Assumptions AGAIN! Who says I'm using a PC ? (or one that requires a mouse).

You really do like humiliating yourself in public dont you, and just what has any of this got to do with the Gbp/thb rate? Once again you demonstrate the inability to focus and keep on track of the actual thread.

• Like 1

Assumptions AGAIN! Who says I'm using a PC ? (or one that requires a mouse).

You really do like humiliating yourself in public dont you, and just what has any of this got to do with the Gbp/thb rate? Once again you demonstrate the inability to focus and keep on track of the actual thread.

Moderator: the customer has a complaint and his "device" can't see the "report" button in his post, can you help him locate it?

OP: Sorry for the above, you were saying something about assumption and humiliation?

Just remember that its better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Please apply this wisdom to yourself and zip it.

Total hypocrite!

We are all just carrying on our normal chat around gbp THB, related strategy and economies, until you open your trap diverting the flow to boring personal attacks and generalised moaning. Try following your own prescription and stay on topic, comment or link to something economic related at least.

i don't possess any wisdom as far as exchange rates are concerned and i mentioned many times that i don't dare making any forecast no matter what timespan it pertains to.

Naam ,a question ,as you are the resident expert on money matters so all say ,i fortunatly made mine not having to know about exchange rates ,or any financials, as the thread is about thai baht to GPB ,do you in your wisdom think the pound will go down a bit ,up a bit ,or stay the same ?

investing in more than two dozen different currencies over a period of 35 years have taught me many -sometimes very harsh sad.png- lessons that forecasts are most of the times futile attempts or at best lucky guesses when they turn out correct.

having said so... i think the Pound is doing not badly vs. major as well as vs. minor currencies. i also think that outspoken pessimists like "mccw" and "chiang mai" use a selective approach to justify their negative thinking.

I think you'd agree that everyone has varying capability limits in different fields, certainly those who have spent their entire adult life working on a subject would be expected to be more capable than others. But if that is true, where are the views of those people and why are they not putting forward corrective advice here and helping everyone else to understand by using their expertise to help steer the debate?

There's a thousand or more critics of the content and style of this thread but there's only about three people who are actively trying to debate the various aspects by presenting data and drawing conclusions from it, everyone else seems to be sitting on the sidelines waiting to say, "you're wrong" but never explaining why! I for one would be most happy to sit back and learn quietly if a willing teacher and able leader were to take the lead here, it would after all allow me to reach my answers more quickly and accurately, but that hasn't happened and I wonder why that is!

Bump!

So here we are, it's early evening in TH and GBP/THB is back pretty much where it started the day, HR and 52 are busy cleaning the stains from their garments following this mornings excitement yet much later, not much has changed, what more can be said.

By way of thread entertainment for the evening I'm going to call my withdrawl from this thread, not because I now feel differently about the subject matter but because much of the "companionship" here has become, tiresome, troubling, I don't know, worrisome I suppose is the best way I can describe it.

There seems to be precious little interest by members in exploring the subject matter seriously and the chaf from peanut gallery is way past boring - most disturbingly, more senior and knowledagable members have, in over seventy pages, refused to educate lead or steer.

Never mind, off you go, I predict a brief slew of abusive uncomplementary posts followed by a flat line of silence , sad really.

• Like 1

555 flounce alert!

flounce?

A strip of decorative, usually gathered or pleated material attached by one edge, as on a garment or curtain.

have mercy with us non-natives FiftyTwo! is Chiang Mai "pleated"? huh.png

flounce (third-person singular simple present flounces, present participle flouncing, simple past and past participle flounced)

1 To move in an exaggerated, bouncy manner.

2 (archaic) To flounder; to make spastic motions.  [quotations ▼]

3 To decorate with a flounce.

4 To leave a group dramatically, in a way that draws attention to oneself.

Number 4, not Number 3 that you suggested.

Edited by FiftyTwo