Bodyline - 80Th Anniversary

Chicog

As Australian batsman Bert Oldfield collapsed, his skull fractured by a lightning-fast ball, the booing from the 50,000-strong Adelaide Oval crowd became a deafening howl.

The England players, mouths dry with fear, looked for escape routes - or even potential weapons - in case the mob fell on them.

Bowler Harold Larwood, the focus of the fury, turned to team-mate Les Ames. "If they come," he said, "you can take the leg stump for protection - I'll take the middle."

Never before or since that moment, 80 years ago to the day, on 16 January 1933, had cricket - and arguably any other sport - seen a contest which fired such anger, which reached so far and echoed for so long, as the Bodyline tour.

In fairness I think England has been punished enough, what with Kylie and Neighbours.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...mshire-21013615

Edited by Chicog

Only because they didn't think of it first!

From Agger's comment in the above link

the Australian administrators - who made such a meal of Gardiner's tactic at the time - were noticeably quiet when their own fast bowlers Dennis Lillee and Jeff Thomson were terrifying batsmen with short-pitched bowling in the 1970s.

Don't recall many batsmen complaining about Lillee and Thompson either; they just got on with it.

Ditto with the Windies pace attack and their bouncers in the '70s and 80's

Only because they didn't think of it first!

From Agger's comment in the above link

the Australian administrators - who made such a meal of Gardiner's tactic at the time - were noticeably quiet when their own fast bowlers Dennis Lillee and Jeff Thomson were terrifying batsmen with short-pitched bowling in the 1970s.

Don't recall many batsmen complaining about Lillee and Thompson either; they just got on with it.

Ditto with the Windies pace attack and their bouncers in the '70s and 80's

There was acutally quite a bit of fall-out over this bowling session.

If I recall, it virtually ended Close and Edrich's careers.

The umpires also came under fire. It was mentioned in depth in a book

called "Grovel" which made reference to Tony Greig saying England would

make the WI grovel in an upcoming tour.

These days with helmets, and all of the added and more efficient padding,

the batsmen haven't really got much to complain about.

Regards

Will

Aussies are great at dishing it out - but can't take it! Same in cricket and rugby. A noticeable recent decline in their sporting achievements of late, including a poor show in the London Olympics. Just poor losers and ungracious winners! wink.png

Edited by Baerboxer

Yes, whingeing Aussies (again!). Some of us are old enough to remember the onslaught on English batsmen by Ian Meckiff and Gordon Rourke. Not just short pitched but both of them blatant chuckers!!

Still, Trueman, Statham, Snow and Willis in his prime sorted them out good and proper!

Well, in that case you're old enough to know that Australia have won the Ashes 12 times

out of the last 21, including 8 in a row from 1989 to 2003.

Yes, the wheel has turned but some of you whinging POMS have selective memmories methinksrolleyes.gif

Edited by Will27

Yes, whingeing Aussies (again!). Some of us are old enough to remember the onslaught on English batsmen by Ian Meckiff and Gordon Rourke. Not just short pitched but both of them blatant chuckers!!

Still, Trueman, Statham, Snow and Willis in his prime sorted them out good and proper!

Well, in that case you're old enough to know that Australia have won the Ashes 12 times

Yes, the wheel has turned but some of you whinging POMS have selective memmories methinksrolleyes.gif

Can\t disagree with you but what i would say is that the aussies really do need to man up and understand that if you like to give it out so much you need to learn to take it and further more stop yer whinging. Honestly, accusing others of being whingers <deleted>!

Funny when you were kicking our buts for years it was all good old fashioned banter with the poms. Now theres the reverse you don\t seem to like it anymore. sick.gif

remember, Its the greatest rivalry in cricket. So, a plea to aussie cricket fans. Please don't spoil it by being bad losers because you don't do yourselves or the ashes justice

Can\t disagree with you but what i would say is that the aussies really do need to man up and understand that if you like to give it out so much you need to learn to take it and further more stop yer whinging. Honestly, accusing others of being whingers <deleted>!

Funny when you were kicking our buts for years it was all good old fashioned banter with the poms. Now theres the reverse you don\t seem to like it anymore. sick.gif

remember, Its the greatest rivalry in cricket. So, a plea to aussie cricket fans. Please don't spoil it by being bad losers because you don't do yourselves or the ashes justice

Yes, I agree that the Aussies can/should be more graceful, both in defeat and victory.

It is the greatest rivalry in cricket so I hope we can put up a good show but it ain't looking great.

Regards

Will

• Like 1

Thats the thing though Will. Its the Ashes and i think the aussie team will step up for it and i reckon it will be very close.

Current situations dictated by two main factors. One, that England are a very good side and the inferiority complex nutured for years under the likes of Nasser Hussein has long gone but secondly the quality of australian side, with the likes of Warne, McGrath, Waugh, Gilchrist, and all was a once in a generation side and never going to be replaced. Any side is relatively ordinary compaired with that lot and australia has lost its air of invincibility.

• Like 1

I see the number 2 Aussie is whingeing about it on Australia Day http://www.telegraph...-Deputy-PM.html

This bit especially made me laugh:

"What the Bodyline series showed was that while we refuse to put on airs and graces, Aussies are not a ruthless, 'whatever it takes' people," he wrote.

"Rather, we are a plain-speaking lot, who play hard but fair, and expect no less. Ours is not a gentleman's code; it is a democratic code."

Wonder what the Kiwis think of that:

Its called selective memory!!! Also seems he forgot about the short pitch barrage England in particlar faced against Lillee and Thompson. Oh well hey ho...

And Greg Chappell is totally unrepentant about the underarm ball to this day! Thats the worst aspect of it for me. You'd have thought after he'd had time to sit back and reflect.......

I kind of feel sorry for the aussie players that wanted no part in that shameful act yet are nonetheless tarnished by it. I'm sure most of them were horrified at such bad sportsmanship.

Edited by carmine

Actually I'm warmly looking forward to the Ashes series.

No series captures the attention of the Australians (well me anyway) then the Ashes being played in England.

For me Lords is hallowed turf ... though the Oval is supposed to be a better ground for the game.

Sure we want to beat you Poms ... but that's the secret to the success of the series and the ongoing and associated passion.

Then there is the charm of the Barmy Army ... we have nothing of that scale to retort with.

The underarm ball incident aside ... I believe the animosity which is written above is more fertilized by media reporting selectively then the general feelings of Australians winning or losing.

This might be the opinion of just one member ... though I think you'll find it closer to the truth for many of the cricketing fans.

There are very good reasons why Australians excel at sports. A great climate for one, which means that kids are encouraged to get outside and participate. And most importantly of course, absolutely no intellectual stimulation to distract them. wink.png

Obviously you are not Australian ...

Australians due excel in some sports (relative to their population) ... but not for the reasons that you state above ... ermm.gif

The City with the greatest sporting passion is also the one which is often referred to as Cultural City of Australia ... Melbourne ... plus it's probably have one of the worst weathers for an Australian major city.

One of the reasons that we have a passion and aptitude for sport is that ...

We actually have reasonably sized 'back yards' ... where we can kick a football or roll the arm over.

If no backyard ... town planning as mandated that, in housing estates, a certain area must be set aside for a park.

Also there is a passion for sport in our country. I still play squash and regularly ride my bike.

How many of the readers here still are actively participating in a regular sporting event?

Lastly, there is a sporting program ingrained within our school system.

So, while the above comment was supposed to a smart assed remark in relation to Australia, it's well wide of the mark ... jerk.gif

The umpire has signaled a wide ... dry.png

Actually I'm warmly looking forward to the Ashes series.

No series captures the attention of the Australians (well me anyway) then the Ashes being played in England.

For me Lords is hallowed turf ... though the Oval is supposed to be a better ground for the game.

Sure we want to beat you Poms ... but that's the secret to the success of the series and the ongoing and associated passion.

Then there is the charm of the Barmy Army ... we have nothing of that scale to retort with.

The underarm ball incident aside ... I believe the animosity which is written above is more fertilized by media reporting selectively then the general feelings of Australians winning or losing.

This might be the opinion of just one member ... though I think you'll find it closer to the truth for many of the cricketing fans.

I agree with all of that. I also as i've said on here before quite recently think it will be a close hard fought series. Any cricketer who can't get totally motivated for an ashes series doesn't deserve to even be selected.

• Like 1

Its called selective memory!!! Also seems he forgot about the short pitch barrage England in particlar faced against Lillee and Thompson. Oh well hey ho...

And Greg Chappell is totally unrepentant about the underarm ball to this day! Thats the worst aspect of it for me. You'd have thought after he'd had time to sit back and reflect.......

I kind of feel sorry for the aussie players that wanted no part in that shameful act yet are nonetheless tarnished by it. I'm sure most of them were horrified at such bad sportsmanship.

A good reason why politicians should stick to politics methinks.

I beg to differ about Greg Chappell though. Did he have a "brain snap" ? Of course he did.

Has he apologised and expressed remorse? More than once. So I'm not sure what else he can do.

And as far as the Lillee/Thompson "barrage" on the POMS, IMO, that was just aggressive extremely

quick bowling and not like the Bodyline series or the latter West Indies attacks where they were continually

bowling at the throat.

The sad part is, our all conquering netballers also got smashed by England 3 nil.

I'm running out of sports to watch.

Regards

Will

Edited by Will27

I beg to differ about Greg Chappell though. Did he have a "brain snap" ? Of course he did.

Has he apologised and expressed remorse? More than once. So I'm not sure what else he can do.

And as far as the Lillee/Thompson "barrage" on the POMS, IMO, that was just aggressive extremely

quick bowling and not like the Bodyline series or the latter West Indies attacks where they were continually

bowling at the throat.

The sad part is, our all conquering netballers also got smashed by England 3 nil.

Regards

Will

One of the reasons Joe Public has a relatively dim view of politicians is that they don't care where to draw the line and will use whatever to further their own agenda.

i really don't have a problem with greg Chapple tbh. Why? Its well back in the past and won't happen again With regards the ashes, having watched all the ashes series in recent years there has never been anything other than exemplary sportsmanship shown from both sides. All the players seem to have an understanding of how important the ashes our to the game of cricket and treat it accordingly

bowling at the throat.

Regards

Will

One of the reasons Joe Public has a relatively dim view of politicians is that they don't care where to draw the line and will use whatever to further their own agenda.

i really don't have a problem with greg Chapple tbh. Why? Its well back in the past and won't happen again With regards the ashes, having watched all the ashes series in recent years there has never been anything other than exemplary sportsmanship shown from both sides. All the players seem to have an understanding of how important the ashes our to the game of cricket and treat it accordingly

I think this magnificient pitcure taken in 2005 says it all.

post-69328-0-63165800-1359437078_thumb.j