Lowering Blood Sugar With Exercise

Kalbo

Due to my Managing Director being recently 'officially 'diagnosed as being diabetic, I'd like to ask if anyone knows the best exercise methods of lowering blood glucose levels. eg, is weight training better than cardio, or vice versa or is doing both the way to go. I've done some homework and as always on these matters, there are many conflicting pieces of information out there. Information will be accepted with alacrity, particularly from those who have had experience with such matters, (i.e. Tropo) . For what it's worth, according to his glucose monitor thingy, fasting glucose levels seem to be always around 120. I am not too aware of his post prandial levels, but I saw him do one test after coming back from a lunch of Thai food with rice, with some orange cake for dessert, and his glucose level was 252.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd give the nod to cardio as the best way to lower blood sugar. Even gentle exercise like walking has an impact.

BUT... SERIOUSLY!!.... if the guy cannot learn how to eat correctly for his condition all the exercise in the world won't save him.

He ate a Thai meal with rice... and then orange cake for dessert?? That doesn't sound like a guy very interested in helping himself, does it?

Fortunately there's lots of effective drugs available to help people who don't want to help themselves. My mother is 82 and diabetic and she still manages ok on drugs even with a high carbohydrate diet.

PS. His levels are still low enough to be controlled by exercise and diet. When I was first "diagnosed" (self diagnosis), my FBS was 255, a lot worse than his.

Edited by tropo

There is no magic exercise that is supposed to reduce blood-sugar levels; but, walking 30 minutes a day is most often recommended. Eating watermellon, pineapple and cinamon help to keep blood-sugar levels down.

Watermelon and pineapple will raise blood sugar too. There's a lot of sugar in those fruit.They can easily push a diabetic's blood sugar into the high 100's and beyond depending how much they eat.

There's so many old wive's tales about eating this and eating that to lower blood sugar. In the end, the only fool proof method is to keep carbohydrates low, and includes fruit.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

There is no magic exercise that is supposed to reduce blood-sugar levels; but, walking 30 minutes a day is most often recommended. Eating watermellon, pineapple and cinamon help to keep blood-sugar levels down.

Watermelon and pineapple will raise blood sugar too. There's a lot of sugar in those fruit.They can easily push a diabetic's blood sugar into the high 100's and beyond depending how much they eat.

There's so many old wive's tales about eating this and eating that to lower blood sugar. In the end, the only fool proof method is to keep carbohydrates low, and includes fruit.

Thanks for that. Are there any fruits that are ok for diabetics. I'd have thought the less sweet fruits such as berries, apples, oranges etc would be ok, but have found nothing definitive about it all.

As for him eating badly, well, yes you're correct there, as he didn't believe me that glucose levels would rise so much after what he considered a 'normal' meal. He seems to have got his diet more or less under control, but is still having some problems with slightly high blood glucose levels. e.g. his FBS level this morning was 128.

Thanks for that. Are there any fruits that are ok for diabetics. I'd have thought the less sweet fruits such as berries, apples, oranges etc would be ok, but have found nothing definitive about it all.

As for him eating badly, well, yes you're correct there, as he didn't believe me that glucose levels would rise so much after what he considered a 'normal' meal. He seems to have got his diet more or less under control, but is still having some problems with slightly high blood glucose levels. e.g. his FBS level this morning was 128.

You need to be more concerned about postprandial readings than FBS. FBS is nearly impossible to control and will come down very slowly with extreme dietary control and exercise IF HE IS LUCKY. Having said that, an FBS of 128 mg/dl is nowhere near under control - IT'S DIABETIC!!!!

His blood sugar was 250 mg/dl after what he considered a "good" meal. That is very high. You start pissing blood sugar out when it gets over 180 mg/dl. It starts destroying cells over 140 mg/dl.

How much fruit and what fruit he can consume will depend on how bad his condition is, and considering the numbers you've given me, he won't be able to consume much fruit at all without creating significant spikes. The only way he will know is to eat the fruit and test.

I have type 2 diabetes that I inherited from my mother and activated when I started eating poorly while under a lot of work presure. Food and exercise are important.

Below are good suggestions for exercise.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/fitness/ideas-for-exercise/types-of-exercise.html

In terms of food, I have read about Glycemic Index and Antioxidant rich food. I had read somewhere that pineapple and watermellon were high in antioxidants for lowering blood sugar. They have certainly been working for me; but can't find them mentioned anywhere now

http://www.deathtodiabetes.com/Antioxidant_Rich_Foods.html

I have type 2 diabetes that I inherited from my mother and activated when I started eating poorly while under a lot of work presure. Food and exercise are important.

Below are good suggestions for exercise.

http://www.diabetes....f-exercise.html

In terms of food, I have read about Glycemic Index and Antioxidant rich food. I had read somewhere that pineapple and watermellon were high in antioxidants for lowering blood sugar. They have certainly been working for me; but can't find them mentioned anywhere now

http://www.deathtodi...Rich_Foods.html

You say they've been working for you but how did you determine this. Do you have figures to show that eating these fruits brought a steady lowering of your blood sugar levels? FBS, HbA1c and postprandial?

I agree, there are beneficial nutrients in these fruits, but if they raise your blood sugar levels too high after eating them it would be better to stay away from them.

People (diabetics) do vary in their response to foods. The only way to know is test, test, test.....

Quick question. I have put on A LOT of weight recently. I do very little exercise. Friends have suggested I may be diabetic. Is there a simple kit to do an initial test before seeing a doctor.. any advice taken. Thanks

sent from my Q6

Quick question. I have put on A LOT of weight recently. I do very little exercise. Friends have suggested I may be diabetic. Is there a simple kit to do an initial test before seeing a doctor.. any advice taken. Thanks

sent from my Q6

There's always a good chance if you're putting weight on quickly that you're diabetic or prediabetic. A friend of mine found this out recently. He was asking me for advice on losing weight. I suggested he get an FBS and HbA1c test down at the local lab first... and then to buy a glucometer to check his postprandial (after meal) blood sugar levels.

The problem here was that his FBS and HbA1c levels were still just inside the normal lab values. The glucometer revealed that he is prediabetic. A lot of doctors would call this "insulin resistance" so as not to alarm patients.

My suggestion is to first get a FBS reading from a lab (about 50 baht). It must be done after fasting for at least 8 hours, but preferably 12. Also get an HbA1c test (300 - 500 baht depending on lab).

If those readings are really good (not close to the high end of normal) then you're clear. If they are near the high end, further testing is recommended.

Edited by tropo

sent from my Q6

There's always a good chance if you're putting weight on quickly that you're diabetic or prediabetic. A friend of mine found this out recently. He was asking me for advice on losing weight. I suggested he get an FBS and HbA1c test down at the local lab first... and then to buy a glucometer to check his postprandial (after meal) blood sugar levels.

The problem here was that his FBS and HbA1c levels were still just inside the normal lab values. The glucometer revealed that he is prediabetic. A lot of doctors would call this "insulin resistance" so as not to alarm patients.

My suggestion is to first get a FBS reading from a lab (about 50 baht). It must be done after fasting for at least 8 hours, but preferably 12. Also get an HbA1c test (300 - 500 baht depending on lab).

If those readings are really good (not close to the high end of normal) then you're clear. If they are near the high end, further testing is recommended.

Thanks for that. Looks like an early morning trip to the lab. Is that what I ask for or do they have Thai names?

sent from my Q6

sent from my Q6

Thanks for that. Looks like an early morning trip to the lab. Is that what I ask for or do they have Thai names?

sent from my Q6

FBS = fasting blood sugar. It's also called FBG = fasting blood glucose.

HbA1c should be well know by any lab technician.This test does not require fasting.

sent from my Q6

sent from my Q6

FBS = fasting blood sugar. It's also called FBG = fasting blood glucose.

HbA1c should be well know by any lab technician.This test does not require fasting.

Thanks. I think I had that done about 1 year ago. Doctor recommended it. He said OK. But I will go back to the same Lab and ask for those. Just in case I'm wrong. Thanks.

PS. What's the high end of normal???

sent from my Q6

Edited by thaicbr

I have found that guava and papaya provide roughage and maybe enzymes or such chemistry, and if I eat these fruits after a meal I feel refreshed and dont spike . I have found that taking a brisk walk for at least 20minutes after a meal helps my bg reading to come down to below the 7 /120 level . I spike when I eat bread , rice , potatoes ,pasta and drink beer . I have to add that feeling awful with a high bg count is nothing compared to going hypo.

Thanks. I think I had that done about 1 year ago. Doctor recommended it. He said OK. But I will go back to the same Lab and ask for those. Just in case I'm wrong. Thanks.

PS. What's the high end of normal???

sent from my Q6

For HbA1c most labs have the normal range between 4% and 6%. I've seen as high as 6.5% as the cutoff and as low as 5.7%.

It is important that you understand the difference between a normal reading and an optimal one. Truly normal is 5% or lower. 6% puts you in the prediabetic range.

"Normal" FBS is below 100 mg/dl. Optimal is below 90 mg/dl. Even if you're in the 90's you're showing signs of insulin resistance. Perfectly normal is around 83 mg/dl.

It's also important to note that doctors must be extremely conservative with labels such as "prediabetic" and "diabetic". The reason being that insurance companies will freak out when they hear a person is "diabetic" and increase premiums considerably. I don't think doctors will even use the term "prediabetic", preferring the term "insulin resistance". It is less alarming and doesn't freak people out. I prefer to freak people out and use the term "prediabetic" because it takes a shock to get people to change their eating habits.

Do yourself a favour and read this:

http://chriskresser....t-normal-part-1

You don't really need a doctor to figure this out. For starters he'll say you're ok when you may not be, and if you aren't good he'll likely write you out a script for diabetic medication that you can do without.

Even if the above 2 tests are in the normal range, there's still a chance you have a problem and spike after meals. This was the case with my friend recently. I've seen recent research (A PubMed article I linked recently) that shows that 70% of diabetics go undiagnosed using the above tests alone. This is probably for the very reason that close to the top end of the normal or at it is still considered OK by doctors and they don't test for postprandial response to carbohydrates.

This is a tragic situation because the person will go away thinking he's ok and probably not get tested again for years at which time he finds out he's well and truly diabetic and suffering from the effects of years of high blood sugar (retinopathy and nerve damage). Diabetes is the number one cause of leg amputations in the US and many people go blind. This is all totally preventable.

Edited by tropo

Bloodsugar101.com and test, test, test.

Of course this requires the purchase of a glucometer and self testing. Cheapest about 2000 baht with strips at about 800 baht per 50.

Edited by tropo

I did what @tropo suggested, one blood sugar test before breakfast, and another exactly 2 hour after breakfast, they were around 80 & 90 respectively.

They are very good results. What did you eat for breakfast? Were these lab or home tests?

I had kao pat moo, (fried rice)

i did it at the lifecare lab just as you come down from pratamnak into 3rd rd.

glucose

blood sugar 84

after 93

Hb A1C 5.2%

Estimated average glucose 103

Edited by poanoi

. I have to add that feeling awful with a high bg count is nothing compared to going hypo.

Of course, because going hypo is life threatening. Are you Type 1, requiring insulin injections?

I am type 2 . When I was diagnosed in February my HbA1c was 13% but over this year I have got it down to 5.5% on the last test , mid December . My hypos are mostly to do with mismanagment of my medication , for example; working on the building site , taking a metfornin 500 mg and then missing a meal and then going wobbly late on in the day . I guess I could cut out the metfornin now if I made better choices with my diet . I try to follow a GI type diet , but fail in that I am a beer monster . Roughage , raw vegetables with any meal help me keep the bg count down . I test test test and test .

I tested too and was at first a close to pre diabetic. Bought a gluco meter and saw that it was caused by the huge carb meals i took. I thought oats would be good.. lessons learned its still carbs and 100 grams of it is too much. Now with 60 grams i have no problems. I don't test that much any more because i know what i eat and since my last tests im out of the danger zone. Next month i will test my HbA1c again and think it might even be lower as last time.

Anyone who is in the danger zone should have a glucometer it will give you a good idea how you respond to certain foods.

I had kao pat moo, (fried rice)

i did it at the lifecare lab just as you come down from pratamnak into 3rd rd.

glucose

blood sugar 84

after 93

Hb A1C 5.2%

Estimated average glucose 103

Exceptional results! I'd be very happy with those.

If that is your BG after a bowl of fried rice, you're perfectly normal.... and to find this out you spent what? 400 baht?... and just a little effort.... and due the fact you had them lab tested, you've got more accurate results as compared to using your own glucometer.

I would suggest you do this once a year just to keep an eye on it.

A Glucose reading of 103 is in the normal range but at the high end, I don't understand the significance of the HbA0 and HbA2 tests.

I agree, normal but high end. I think the OP wanted an other test not HbA1c test and they did other tests, these two tests i don't know never heard of them.

But your in the normal range, but if you want to loose weight because its high normal you might benefit from low carbs.