Stamped Crete (Concrete) In Chiang Mai

DaamNaam

I think I will have to get them out to quote me since my driveway is already there so they just have to add a layer on top and then stamp it Im guessing that since the driveway is already there it will be cheaper ?

Please let us know, as I have a cement driveway and also interested.

I think I will have to get them out to quote me since my driveway is already there so they just have to add a layer on top and then stamp it Im guessing that since the driveway is already there it will be cheaper ?

It should be cheaper, but being where we are i have my doubts.

I'll ask about it though.

I'm sorry but unless your existing driveway is scabbled http://www.surfprep.co.nz/construction/scabbling/ and prepped for a minimum of 80mm of concrete with very good reo then I would not consider it at all.

I'm sorry but unless your existing driveway is scabbled http://www.surfprep.co.nz/construction/scabbling/ and prepped for a minimum of 80mm of concrete with very good reo then I would not consider it at all.

Why is that. A driveway is not going to slide off of the first one. I knew of one city that only required 75 mm of concrete for their sidewalk.

The one thing to watch out for when pouring on an existing slab is that if the old one has a crack the new one will develop one on top of it.

Why is that. A driveway is not going to slide off of the first one. I knew of one city that only required 75 mm of concrete for their sidewalk.

The one thing to watch out for when pouring on an existing slab is that if the old one has a crack the new one will develop one on top of it.

Partcially correct, the depth of the under lying concrete would not matter as long as the total depth is around 100mm for a slab with no traffic and around 125-150mm for a driveway.

Concrete does not "Reflect" cracks like asphalt, what happens is that during the initial cure of a concrete slab, the concrete starts in an expansion mode due to the amount of free water in the concrete. As the concrete loses this free water slowly (28 day cycle) it moves from Expansion to contraction (Shrinkage). When you place one slab on top of an older slab (already cycled from expansion to shrinkage), any inperfections become stress points and cracking "Might" occur. Preparation before placing your concrete becomes critical, fill in significant cracks with a mortar mixture, place a bond break (Plastic sheeting) between the existing and new slabs.

An alternative is to use a tile/sand wash in lieu of another concrete slam, an option I chose. You con't need a bond break or repair on exiting cracks. The sand wash has so small of a mass that any shrinkage will be at the contact with the tile so the cracking becomes controlled (by design).

post-21996-0-64188400-1358727842_thumb.j

post-21996-0-35778400-1358727475_thumb.j

Edited by Diablo Bob
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looks very nice Diablo Bob.

May consider doing something like that. My only worry here is the sand wash goes green almost instantly with rain.

How is yours holding out?

Haven't experienced that yet..... but then again sand wash can be purchased that has an additive for wet environments (Swimming pools) which is less porous than standard, which is what was used on my application. Actually had an oil leak from a visitors car that washed away with no staining!

That being said, depending on how a contractor places concrete ready mix or hand mixed concrete will also determine how a concrete performs. Concrete that is wet (High slump) will be more porous than a stiffer concrete. Concrete containing air entrainment is less porous than a concrete without. Having concrete is no guarantee of a performing surface, materials and workmanship are significant parts of an integrated system.

Check back in a few years and see what I think!

• Like 1