Insurance For Motorbike

Konini

We've been told so many different things by different people I want to scream. We've just bought a little run-around bike and looking for a source of what the law in Thailand actually is. We have travel insurance which covers us for medical and some personal liability, but people have told us it's a legal requirement (as in UK) and others tell me it isn't (as in Australia).

Any pointers appreciated.

Best take your 'little run-around bike' to the Vehicle Registration office in Hang Dong opposite and near the end of the airport runway. That way they can assess the category. Very efficient office. They can then determine if both your 'little run-around bike' and yourself need registration and/or driver's license.

You may well also wish to determine whether or not your travel insurance covers damages when riding moto-assist bikes/motorcycles; many do not. BlueCross for instance, does, but at 50%.

As for screaming, you're on vacation; what's with the drama?

Edited by tango
  • Like 1

Thank you all for your replies and the link. My husband got his drivers licences a couple of weeks ago and I'm going to sort mine out soon, no excuse about not having transport for getting around anymore. We are legally and officially based in Australia where motorbikes are fully covered by insurance as long as you're legal and not racing, unlike the UK where at times insurance companies won't even cover you if you're a pillion. It's always the first thing I ask when looking for quotes, and in Australia they look at you a bit funny with comments like 'Why would you not be insured to do that if you're holding the correct licence and not breaking local laws?' I always check the small print anyway - I used to write it for a living, so I don't accept anything blindly.

Geoff - is that insurance sufficient? In Australia (Victoria at least) 3rd party person in included with your rego or tax disc but not 3rd party property - I'm assuming this is the same? We'll get some anyway, all to be sorted on Monday when the office in Hang Dong opens.

Thanks again.

Edited by Konini

All vehicles require the government insurance. This insurance covers very little, no mechanical damage, about 50,000 baht/person for hospital costs. Whilst you are legal this insurance is almost worthless in the event of an accident. Personally I have never found any insurance company to offer a more comprehensive insurance for these smaller 125cc bikes. Most folks have to sort out a personal type policy back in their home country. I find that Thailand is not very insurance friendly.

Thanks, Interesting to note that insurance companies don't want to get into what could be a very lucrative (splutter and mouth your comment now). As an investor, I've never liked insurance companies as there's too much risk. I imagine that a good policy would ruin a company very quickly with the quality of riders here claiming against each other, and that's without including the car drivers who all seem to live in their own worlds when comes to driving or pedestrian crossings.

And an even bigger thanks to Dellboy for the link provided - I've just had a quick look and there's a buy and sell forum. Just what we need - he is looking for a 'proper' bike and was disappointed by what was on TV classifieds. What he really wants is one he thinks I won't ride. Meh. Only one of us is 50, and until later this year it's not me. If I can balance it, I can ride it (or so he thinks, it's been far too many years since I was on a real bike, I really don't think I could control them now). As long as he doesn't com back with a plastic pig, I'll be happy. We actually saw one when back in UK last year, old, yellow and of course it had Trotters Independent Traders painted in the appropriate colour in the appropriate spot. Made us laugh a bit, but then we saw a red one which can't have been much more than 10 years old!

u need to cover yourself for 3rd party in case of an accident with a thai who may try to take u to the cleaners or even get u locked up where u have to pay several hundred thousand baht bail bond to get out

this thread deals with a basic 3rd party ins and 100,000 bail bond for 1699 baht,,,,,,,,,better than nothing at a cheap price for a small scooter

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/583819-bike-insurance-a-good-deal/

also a company called thai SRI that sell policies thru the Harley shop in wualai rd

they want 2700 for 3rd party with a 400,000 bail bond

u need to cover yourself for 3rd party in case of an accident with a thai who may try to take u to the cleaners or even get u locked up where u have to pay several hundred thousand baht bail bond to get out

this thread deals with a basic 3rd party ins and 100,000 bail bond for 1699 baht,,,,,,,,,better than nothing at a cheap price for a small scooter

http://www.thaivisa....ce-a-good-deal/

also a company called thai SRI that sell policies thru the Harley shop in wualai rd

they want 2700 for 3rd party with a 400,000 bail bond

Not for much longer. The shop is moving to a new site between Global and the underpass on the middle Ring Road

Last week I got the brochure for Bangkok Bank's Personal Accident Insurance Package (PA Happy 45+) which includes riding or being passenger on a motorcycle:

2. loss of life Plan1 -Plan4 100K-350K

3. loss of body parts/ or disability 400K-1M

4. loss of body parts/ or disability 200K-700K

Annual Premium Plan1 -Plan4 3,180B-7,070B

Stipulates Work Permit or Permanent Resident

Have yet to re-visit to determine if Non-Resident status applies.

Tel Karn at 081-5953110 or kpantawong@gmail (Thai lang)

Last week I got the brochure for Bangkok Bank's Personal Accident Insurance Package (PA Happy 45+) which includes riding or being passenger on a motorcycle:

2. loss of life Plan1 -Plan4 100K-350K

3. loss of body parts/ or disability 400K-1M

4. loss of body parts/ or disability 200K-700K

Annual Premium Plan1 -Plan4 3,180B-7,070B

Stipulates Work Permit or Permanent Resident

Have yet to re-visit to determine if Non-Resident status applies.

Tel Karn at 081-5953110 or kpantawong@gmail (Thai lang)

What a load of rubbish re your status - get onto the sponsores AA Ins Brokers as they can sort you out and in English !