2013 All Food Related.restaurants,recipes, Suggestions Etc...

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Mole, but just to show my ignorance on places on the island - where is this? Which village /town?

"New place just opened opposite Ruang Thong Pharmacy near Dao seafood market."

As I have said previously on the forum - I do not get out much nor travel far from Plai Laem/Bangrak/Choengmon. (I have only lived here for 13 years!).

Hi, I'm looking out for THE best Ham/cheese burger. Hopefully that comes as a set with fries and under 300 bt.

Any place you recommend?

Today a friend recommended a place for a nice burger to me. So naturally I had to try it out.

The Cable Grill

Its a take-away only place, situated by the Samui Outlet shopping precinct.

Go to the end of the lake road where it meets the beach road, turn left, and its about 50 metres along, on the right hand side.

It is designed to look like an old fashioned San Francisco tram car. Next to it is an old London bus, which is a take-away cocktail bar.

I had the Double Cheeseburger meal, with fries and a Fanta - 199 THB - so comparable to McDonalds prices.

It was a little greasy (they cook on a hot plate, not a grill), but very very tasty indeed. Very much like the taste of a homemade burger (their slogan is "Homemade Burger and Beyond").

Will definitely go back again.

It was closed when i drove past. Does it only open in the evening?

Hi, I'm looking out for THE best Ham/cheese burger. Hopefully that comes as a set with fries and under 300 bt.

Any place you recommend?

Today a friend recommended a place for a nice burger to me. So naturally I had to try it out.

The Cable Grill

Its a take-away only place, situated by the Samui Outlet shopping precinct.

Go to the end of the lake road where it meets the beach road, turn left, and its about 50 metres along, on the right hand side.

It is designed to look like an old fashioned San Francisco tram car. Next to it is an old London bus, which is a take-away cocktail bar.

I had the Double Cheeseburger meal, with fries and a Fanta - 199 THB - so comparable to McDonalds prices.

It was a little greasy (they cook on a hot plate, not a grill), but very very tasty indeed. Very much like the taste of a homemade burger (their slogan is "Homemade Burger and Beyond").

Will definitely go back again.

It was closed when i drove past. Does it only open in the evening?

I've seen that place and was tempted to try it out. Now with your report, I'll be there asap.....thanks for that!

It's finally opened. Everything is home made.

I ordered chicken döner kebab and falafel in durum bread both very good and their yoghurt sauce is excellent.

Took a while to get my falafel, so their routines are not in order yet.

The owners are from Istanbul, so you can't get more authentic than this. Unfortunately they all spoke minimum English.

They open very late, so you better go around 9-10 at night.

It's in Soi Green Mango, Chaweng. When you get into the soi, it's the first shop to your immediate left.

post-17753-0-47480700-1387725276_thumb.j post-17753-0-63082400-1387725314_thumb.j post-17753-0-04827700-1387725355_thumb.j post-17753-0-17783200-1387725371_thumb.j

Edited by Mole
  • Like 1

It's finally opened. Everything is home made.

I ordered chicken döner kebab and falafel in durum bread both very good and their yoghurt sauce is excellent.

Took a while to get my falafel, so their routines are not in order yet.

The owners are from Istanbul, so you can't get more authentic than this. Unfortunately they all spoke minimum English.

They open very late, so you better go around 9-10 at night.

It's in Soi Green Mango, Chaweng. When you get into the soi, it's the first shop to your immediate left.

That is a HUGE chunk of chicken to be leaving out in the warm. Looks lovely but my worry is that they will reheat it on the vertical spit and sell it the next day, that can kill people. You unequivocally cannot sell chicken after it has been at less than 165C for 6 hours (unless refrigerated for the entire time), the following day. Looks wonderful but I wouldn't touch it.

It was a bit pricey, IMO. Everything was over 100 bt. The cheapest on their menu was 120 bt.

That döner in box to right cost 190bt and was the most expensive. You're supposed to get rice or french fries with it, but when I was there, they just opened and the rice nor fries was apparently not ready yet.

The falafel in dürüm cost 140bt, still a bit pricey IMO since it doesn't even contains any meat.

It was a bit pricey, IMO. Everything was over 100 bt. The cheapest on their menu was 120 bt.

That döner in box to right cost 190bt and was the most expensive. You're supposed to get rice or french fries with it, but when I was there, they just opened and the rice nor fries was apparently not ready yet.

The falafel in dürüm cost 140bt, still a bit pricey IMO since it doesn't even contains any meat.

Do you know this story?

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2013/oct/28/kadir-nurman-invent-doner-kebab

Of interest to Divers, Medics, Muscle Mechanics & Sting

ORS (Oral Rehydrant Salts) are on sale @ Macro (checkout no 2) @ THB 126 for a box of 50 sachets. They are the "dechamp' brand marked at 8 baht per sachet but are often dearer for unsuspecting tourists.

Look for Orange box around the size of a sliced loaf.

Definition of Oral rehydration salts - MedTerms

Edited by evadgib

Marmite

125g seen today on the bottom of the shelf mentioned in post #256. I bought the last 2 bottles but hopefully more will appear shortly:)

Vegemite

Seen in Big C today while looking for Marmite the proper stuff. As the Aisles aren't numbered the easiest directions are:

- Stand & face the watermelons

- Turn left

- It's immediately behind the shelf that is now in front of you.

There are "Foreign Imports" signs hanging from the roof above the aisle if that helps.

Save people having to search for 256.

Sound like they are out of stock. The very top shelf is generally for overstock so if there was none there they would have to order more. They may well have already ordered since everything is computerized but on a very low selling item they may just order when it's finished.

On an unrelated note... The Indian restaurant opposite Weekender on Lamai beach road has changed hands. Went past a week or so back and asked if they had lamb samosas which they did, take away no issue (is it ever?). Fella said have a seat and I was given a glass of cold water, 2 papadums and a couple of dips while I waited. Very nice. 170 Baht, only two but a decent size and lots of lamb inside. Didn't even think about picking up the 30 Baht change.

Another place I went to and neglected to post about was a Thai buffet toward the top of Lamai soi 1 (the road which goes past Coco Splash). Huge selection of currys, seafood, vegetable dishes, noodles, rice, fresh veggies and fruit. Not seen many farangs there but most days it's teeming with locals. Has a paddling pool which might be of interest to parents and is open for lunch. It think it was 11:00 - 15:00

[Edit} I think the buffet place was called Thai Pot.

Edited by notmyself
  • Like 1