Bought A Vespa

paulringer

Where is home? If home is in Chiang Mai, no problem. If home is in the United States you can simply forget shipping it.

No problem at all getting it out of Thailand, for that matter, other than religious artefacts there is almost no restrictions on what you can ship out.

Its getting things into a country that can be sticky and that starts with knowing what country you plan on getting it into.

Sorry, for the US you can break it down as far as you want but the engine is going to end up in beer cans. EPA wont allow those things in, but you could get the rest of it in as a wonderful lawn ornament or clothes stand.

UK does have a grey market but its not easy, dont know all the details. Sounds like donkeykong has the program.

• 8 months later...

If you are planning to export to the UK you must chaeck if it has engine and frame numbers!!!

If not you WILL NOT be able to get it on the road!!!!!

Friends of mine were caught out buying from Vietnam.The scooter looked fantasic but they could not register them as there were no numbers present.

If the numbers are present it is quite simple to register.

The Vespa clup of Great Britain will give you a dating certificate and all you have to do is pay the DVLC the fee,sorted. They even give you a nice black plate and no tax to pay...

I have and riden some quality scooters in Thailand and I must say they ride as good as a new px.

The level of resoration is as good if not better than the uk.

A good GS 150/160 would go for £4000-£5000 here if its a minter.Most are not!!!!!

Bridlington this weekend in the UK for Vespa show.....

I asked about this in the business section.

My brother and his friends want half a dozen HOnda Raider 150's to race around a local go kart track.

I would like to also stick my two classic Hondas in the container as well.

Would I need to split them into parts or can I ship them as complete bikes?

Jeeze, here we go again.

Where are you shipping them to?

For all newbies and dreamers please take note. Exporting is never a problem with a few small exceptions that most people already know about.

Importing is always a problem. So if your asking about importing problems, it helps to know what country your trying to import to.

Jeeze, here we go again.

For all newbies and dreamers please take note. Exporting is never a problem with a few small exceptions that most people already know about.

Importing is always a problem. So if your asking about importing problems, it helps to know what country your trying to import to.

I just imported something to Thailand.

The rates quoted varied massively, from $20k USD from 3 western firms, to $2k USD from a Thai firm.

On top of that, upon arrival and departure, charges to get the container somewhere it could be loaded and unloaded. Insurance. Paperwork. Shipping company overseas was disorganised. Shipping company here was disorganised.

Extra charges for loading, checking, lifting, etc - only freebie was them bringing the container to me because they forgot that I had told them I needed them to place the container on the ground, NOT leave it on the trailer in order to unload it.

Having said all that, the duty on the item was exactly as expected, with an additional $500USD in 'processing charges' or various sorts, and extra shipping fees beyond the intial quote a few extra $$.

In total, thought it would be $2k, came in closer to $3k; but still ended up 1/2 the price of buying the same marine item here in Thailand.

Do it once, and you'll figure out what i mean; double what you think it is going to be, and that will be about right. :o Have fun, take some aspirin, and it may be well worth it

Jeeze, here we go again.

My questions wasn't actually about whether or not I could ship them it was aksing should I ship them in parts or as complete bikes.

A typical ThaiVisa smart arse know-it-all I've seen and done everything reply that. Thanks much appreciated.

It's to the UK by the way just to make you happy.

6 months in a leaky boat then, steve?

:-)

The weird thing was we had a language difficulty at customs, and he just smiled and handed me a vegemite sandwich?!

OP - you didn't provide much detail; however check the customs rates as in my case, if I had included an engine, I would have had to pay duty on that, and associated parts, but without an engine my own import was duty excempt (into Thailand that is). Do your homework, and you may save $$$.