Jellyfish In Maenam

Quite common to see around a number of beaches around the islands... w00t.gif I've never known anyone to be stung by one of these...

But a good idea to carry a small bottle of vinegar .... which will take out the sting... (I am not sure if this on does or not! .... and I am not going to go touch one to find out!!! tongue.png )

It's the small ones that can be annoying sometimes... that varies from time of year and beach...

The big suckers are harmless (unless you eat one).

The vinegar is for the small blue ones. Called bluebottles in Oz and called portugese-man-o'war elsewhere (I believe).

post-79343-0-69883400-1358780439_thumb.j

post-79343-0-15826900-1358780430_thumb.j

I was at the beach in Sydney talking to a guy who was rubbing vinegar on his stings. (They have it in tubs on most beaches during bluebottle season).

The guy said "this is the sixth time that I have been stung today! I think that I'll give swimming a miss." Duhhh

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1

Well lets be thankful we don't have leeches on the islands (not that I have ever seen anyway!)

When Anguid and I were flower searching the other day, in Khao Sok Park, our tour guide was attacked by these little critters.... You have to burn them out .. that is tobacco he then rubbed in ..... w00t.gif

Khao%2520Sok%2520Nat%2520Park%252019%2520Jan%252C%25202013%252011-18%2520AM.JPG

Edited by samuijimmy

Well lets be thankful we don't have leeches on the islands (not that I have ever seen anyway!)

When Anguid and I were flower searching the other day, in Khao Sok Park, our tour guide was attacked by these little critters.... You have to burn them out .. that is tobacco he then rubbed in ..... w00t.gif

Where's the critters?

Where's the critters?

Cooked with a cigarette !!!! I did not see the leeches, this picture, was after the fact.... we were too busy at the time! tongue.png

Why do I have this vision of you an Angiud chasing butterflies through a forest & with flowers in your hair. Not a pretty picture .

Here is the song we both sang ... be sure to listen all the way through ...tongue.pngbiggrin.png

That's what I was afraid of.

Jellyfish -> leeches -> butterflies -> tulips blink.png

Very interesting, but I would actually like to hear a bit more about the jellyfish. I thought the medium size (around 20 cm diameter) white jellyfish are totally harmless, but the big ones (around 50cm diameter) are dangerous. Anybody?

The vinegar is for the small blue ones. Called bluebottles in Oz and called portugese-man-o'war elsewhere (I believe).

Better take a minute to check yourself with Google before posting that kind of info.

You should not use vinegar against bluebottles, but against box jellyfishes and irukandji. Bluebottles stinging can be stopped with hot water.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_man_o'_war#Venom

Vinegar is not recommended for treating stings. Vinegar dousing increases toxin delivery and worsens symptoms of stings from the nematocysts of this species. Vinegar has also been confirmed to provoke hemorrhaging when used on the less severe stings of nematocysts of smaller species.
Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

No they are harmless.

both those tiny ones and the big onse can sting, i have been stung many times by the big ones on while wakeboarding koh phangan (dont crash!!), the stings are not severe, but they are uncomfortable for a while.

i believe those tiny ones cause minute stings and irritation. to me they feel like a tiny pich and the sting does not linger, but they irritated my small daughter though not badly.

Better take a minute to check yourself with Google before posting that kind of info.

You should not use vinegar against bluebottles, but against box jellyfishes and irukandji. Bluebottles stinging can be stopped with hot water.

From http://en.wikipedia....'_war#Venom

Vinegar is not recommended for treating stings. Vinegar dousing increases toxin delivery and worsens symptoms of stings from the nematocysts of this species. Vinegar has also been confirmed to provoke hemorrhaging when used on the less severe stings of nematocysts of smaller species.

Hmmm I am sure that you are correct. Thank you for the update smile.png

I only passed on info given to me by lifeguards in Oz - before Google was invented.whistling.gif

Amazing really how so many of us oldies actually managed to survive before Google and Wikipedia wink.png

By the way - Wikipedia is written by people like you and me. Do you believe everything that you read on the internet?wai.gif

Edited by Tropicalevo

Tropicalevo

I trust only referenced statements from Wikipedia. In this case there is also info about first aid on other sites.

And also many references on other sites that do not agree with you. It does not make you wrong, but does also not make you right, there is an awfull lot of conflicting information about this in all area of the media.

• Like 1

Tropicalevo

I trust only referenced statements from Wikipedia. In this case there is also info about first aid on other sites.

I was serious when I said thank you for the update.

As a kid, my mother regularly gave me Friars Balsom on a spoon of sugar as treatment for breathing problems. sick.gif It was 30 years later that I found out that you were supposed to dissolve it in hot water and breath in the steam.bah.gif My mother was trying to kill me? sad.png

But I do not always believe what I read on the internet. eg - google 'how many meter taxis in Bangkok'. The answer is between 50,000 and 200,000. sorry.gifofftopic.gif