Gymkhana Club

jackr

Is it ok or <deleted>? Don't want anything serious as haven't done any swinging for 3 years anyway, but as long as they have club hire and golf shoes rentals? Shorts ok or is full attire required?

Refreshment stops and beer?

How much for 9 holes - Green fees?

cheers

Its a veyrelaxed informal club Jack. You can wear shorts/trainers if you want.

I have played there twice, before my back went.

Not sure how much , I think about 400B for 9 holes, not sure if that includes the Caddy, but they are not dear. They have clubs for hire too.

There is a 19th hole, excellent Coffee, never had a beer there but have eaten too, very impressive. I am 99% sure you can buy a beer there though.

Cheapest Club in town

I took my son there to play his first game.

Very simple course to play and they have everything you need. There is a place after nine where you can get something to eat and drink. The caddies were very kind and helpful. Nice food at the club house and they have beer too. Price was also good. Must have closed toe shoes, no sandles unless they are the golf shoe type. I had to rent golf shoes because I had on sandles and they don't have size 12 .... ouch.

They also have a driving range which we should have used prior to playing.

We played there in August so it was dry.

Edited by frankafey

Better than you do right now mate!!!

yep, I do have a face like a twisted sandshoe at the mo...

...i thought "face like a bulldog licking p1ss off a thistle" was more on the money ole mate :o:D

Aye, good looking caddies would be good. Need something to take me mind off how crap I am :D

Better than you do right now mate!!!

yep, I do have a face like a twisted sandshoe at the mo...

...i thought "face like a bulldog licking p1ss off a thistle" was more on the money ole mate :o:D

Aye, good looking caddies would be good. Need something to take me mind off how crap I am :D

Think you may be in a a let down on that front from what I have seen, anyway the guys make better Caddies as they certainly know their stuff

You should realise that the course is more or less unplayable, after the floodings in august and september it is unbeleivable how little progress has been made to restore it.

I played there a couple of weeks ago and stopped after 9.

The greens are o.k as most of them are somewhat elevated, the fairways are for a large part mud/sand with some green stuff at some places.

Hole 6 is the only one that is in normal condition, hole 9 is in part in very good condition, but I was not allowed to use it but had to tee-off in the direction of hole 1 and play it against the traffic. The repaired parts are also used as cricket field and restored for the Chiang Mai Sixes in april.

For the rest you tee-off, the caddy finds the ball and start looking for something green within walking distance and gives you a smile and a jai yen yen and off you go again.

It seems they charge normal prices still.

Was ther again last week but no change visible, so settled for lunch. It really is a pity as it was/is such a charming place.

Bit of Intro. :D

Chiengmai Gymkhana Club

Unique charm and tranquillity is the setting for the of the Chiengmai Gymkhana Club, located within a one mile circumference of 102 rai (40.8 acres) of parkland right in the heart of this northern Thai city.

The club was formed in 1898 by teak loggers and British expatriates who at that time defined the objectives of the club as being "... the encouragement of sport in Northern Siam".

At that time sports facilities included polo, horse racing, shooting, athletics, a 9 hole golf course; tennis courts; squash courts; football and cricket; and darts.

It is the oldest club in Thailand and one of the oldest clubs in Asia.

For over one hundred years the Club has continued to host sporting events and its park setting ensures a congenial atmosphere, not only for sport, but also for the Club's many regular social functions and to enjoy sophisticated or interesting company.

The Club welcomes members, new members and visiting sports teams and their families.

Today the Club has a friendly mix of Thai and British expatriate membership and many members from around the globe from a variety of backgrounds.

Many are glad to share their field of expertise with newcomers as well as their local knowledge. Friday nights (after 18:00) and Sunday lunchtimes are the best times where you are most likely to meet them in larger numbers.

A sense of humour and fun is always welcome. :D:D

Interesting Facts

One recent peculiar tradition is the "cheese run".

Members on leave to countries with cheese making traditions bring back slabs for other members to enjoy with crackers on Sunday afternoon.

The tree. Probably the most remarkable attraction of the club is the 150+ year old tree.

Seldom can a first-time visitor depart without favourable comments about this stunningly unique rain-tree.

The club's annual Christmas party is hosted under this natural marvel.

Imagine 300 festive frolickers enjoying a fine meal and great company under its awesome span!

No photographer has captured the trees outstanding beauty - it simply must be seen to be believed.

Trophy cabinet (include Bobby Charlton's ball)

Stepping back in time - noted by many other Asia based expats

The club is over 100 years old and one of the founder's son's is a current patron.

Chiang Mai or Chiengmai? :o

General the city's name is spelt "Chiang Mai". The founder used "Chiengmai" and this spelling was, and still is, used at the club. :D

Give it a miss for the time being until they have sorted the course out, it is worth a visit in the right circumstances. We played last August, about 2 weeks before the flood, my mate went there 3 weeks ago and had the same comments about its condition as rcjoop. How about trying Lanna, they have 27 holes to choose from there, you can hire clubs there and just play 9 holes.

> but sometimes fancy giving it a go.

Yes, me too, but that thought for me mostly goes like: "Well, thousands of people rave about golf, it's mostly expensive the world over, but I happen to live in a place where it's actually pretty affordable, and it would get me outdoors for a bit, provide some exercise at least compared to sitting at a desk or at a bar, so I guess I might as well give it a go, sometime."

Then I don't do it. :o

The days when the Gymkhana was the only place in town to get a gin and tonic are long gone. The service there is appalling and their traditional welcome for non-members wishing to use the facilities has been, in my experience, snooty at best.

While many families and small businesses along the Ping were devastated by the floods last year, the Gymkhana is merely concerned with redoing its bloody golf course. (The course has always been regarded as one of the worst in CM, anyway.) They have even been hawking cheap 'social' memberships in order to raise funds. So much for community.

I suggest that if you applaud anachronistic elitism, and wish to support the myth of tradition, this club is the one for you.

The tree is very nice though.

• 3 weeks later...

Polecat's extreme prejudice against the Gymkhana Club is surprising as I doubt he has been there more than once or twice. The club is in dire need of support, members have been bending over backwards to attract visitors and new members (membershp at an all-time and post-flood special at 5000 baht for life membership). Members are actually dead friendly if you don't arrive with a chip on your shoulder and there is a party being held to raise funds to help support the club Friday 24th March in the evening: raffles, live music, food, drinks and fun. Tickets are 300 baht and you can get them at the door.

Just to correct a few mistakes earlier. The member mentioned whose father founded the club, Dick Wood, actually died three years ago. Between him and his father they were members for over 100 years. The raintree is well well well over 150 years old, having been nearly its current size when the club was formed in 1898. But yes, the golf course is definitely below par, but we are working on it.

Basically members own the club. No one else does, that is why we have struggled with funds to get it back on its feet post floods. What the club needs is some positive support - not misinformed slagging off - as it is the oldest sports club in the country, with over 100 rai of green green land in the city centre (wouldn't it be horrible if it went backkrupt and had to be sold to build condos?) Please give it a chance, support it, come for dinner - great Chinese and Thai food as well as decent international stuff - a game of golf, or just a sundowner.

As I said, members are most friendly and welcome anyone.

Polecat's extreme prejudice against the Gymkhana Club is surprising as I doubt he has been there more than once or twice. The club is in dire need of support, members have been bending over backwards to attract visitors and new members (membershp at an all-time and post-flood special at 5000 baht for life membership). Members are actually dead friendly if you don't arrive with a chip on your shoulder and there is a party being held to raise funds to help support the club Friday 24th March in the evening: raffles, live music, food, drinks and fun. Tickets are 300 baht and you can get them at the door.

Just to correct a few mistakes earlier. The member mentioned whose father founded the club, Dick Wood, actually died three years ago. Between him and his father they were members for over 100 years. The raintree is well well well over 150 years old, having been nearly its current size when the club was formed in 1898. But yes, the golf course is definitely below par, but we are working on it.

Basically members own the club. No one else does, that is why we have struggled with funds to get it back on its feet post floods. What the club needs is some positive support - not misinformed slagging off - as it is the oldest sports club in the country, with over 100 rai of green green land in the city centre (wouldn't it be horrible if it went backkrupt and had to be sold to build condos?) Please give it a chance, support it, come for dinner - great Chinese and Thai food as well as decent international stuff - a game of golf, or just a sundowner.

As I said, members are most friendly and welcome anyone.

Well said. I couldn't agree more.

I am not currently a member, but intend to join as soon as I am able to get down there to complete the formalities.

Who else?

This is the reply I got about three months ago to an inquiry regarding Social Membeship....

Many thanks for your enquiry. Presumably you've heard that the Entrance Fee for Social

Members has been temporarily reduced. The full story, as I've been telling others, is as follows,

although you may know most of this already.

The Club has a 9-hole golf course and driving range, two tennis courts and a knocking wall, two

air-conditioned squash courts, a full size cricket field and practice nets, a large snooker table, a

library, darts board and a small gym. There is a members' bar, a restaurant (excellent Thai food,

limited western menu), a terrace for drinks, a massive rain tree for sheltering parties and a separate

bar by the cricket field.

The 'Entrance Fee' for new Social Members has been temporarily reduced from 12,000 Baht to

5,000 Baht. However, the monthly subscription remains at 400 Baht per month. (Both amounts

are subject to 7% tax.) So, after paying the up-front 5,000 Baht, you would have an annual cost of

4,800 Baht (plus 7%). The Club like a minimum of three months monthly subs. with the

application.

The reduction in Entrance Fee is for Social Members only. The fee for Full (Golf) Membership

remains at 50,000 Baht, and 400 Baht monthly, plus 18% tax.

Social Members have full use of the squash and tennis courts (2 each) at members rates. These

are 40 Baht per hour. Members guests pay 80 B/hr, Visitors 100 B.hr. Social Members can, of

course, use the Club House restaurant and Members bar.

Only one member of a family need join. The spouse and children unde 21 are

automatically members.

The current reduction, which will be short-lived, was prompted by a need to stop the decline in

membership and, more importantly, to get in some cash quickly to compensate for the loss of

income from the golf course after the floods. The golf course has been re-opened but it is still very

rough. I'm told it is playable, if you like an adventure! (I'm not a golfer!)

The tennis courts are usually well used on Friday evenings and Sunday mornings. At other times

they are quite slack, as are the squash courts.

Membership application forms are available at the office. (The office staff speak very little

English!) I will be happy to propose or second your application, after we've met. After a few

drinks on the terrace you will certainly find another member to support you, although you may

know one already.

Best regards

Polecat's extreme prejudice against the Gymkhana Club is surprising as I doubt he has been there more than once or twice.

Quite wrong. I used to play squash there pretty much every week and have been to various functions over the years.

Apologies if my opinions disrupt your little advertising push, but it would be a dull world indeed if all we had to really on were the words of those with vested interests (I presume you are a member Sao Jiang Mai).

Look again at my post and enligten me as to any inaccuracies.

Polecat's extreme prejudice against the Gymkhana Club is surprising as I doubt he has been there more than once or twice.

Quite wrong. I used to play squash there pretty much every week and have been to various functions over the years.

Apologies if my opinions disrupt your little advertising push, but it would be a dull world indeed if all we had to really on were the words of those with vested interests (I presume you are a member Sao Jiang Mai).

Look again at my post and enligten me as to any inaccuracies.

So you think Ajarn has a vested interest too?

So you think Ajarn has a vested interest too?

That's irrelevant: he didn't start crying about me having a different opinion.

so what.that's not the question I asked.

do you think he has a vested interest or not?

I have no idea if he has a vested interest or not. That is none of my concern as he has done nothing more than pass on information that he has at his disposal.

Does that answer your question Senator McCarthy chuchok?

Edited by polecat

I have no idea if he has a vested interest or not. That is none of my concern as he has done nothing more than pass on information that he has at his disposal.

Does that answer your question Senator McCarthy chuchok?

yep.

How can I have a vested interest when I don't own the club? NO ONE DOES. Should the club become bankrupt and has to be sold, all proceeds go towards hospitals in Chiang Mai. I will dare to say here that for the majority of members our interest in the club, hence our support, is to see that this historical landmark, this green lung in the city centre, does not get covered by a forest of condominiums.

And ###### right I am advertising the club. Some of us happen to care a great deal for it (if you had any interest in the history of Chiang Mai, then try reading the Gymkhana centenary book, you will learn a lot) and will do everything within our personal limitations to see to it's survival. Nothing wrong with that Polecat. It's good to be passionate, but in your eyes we seem to be elitists in trying to keep the club going - don't quite get that logic.

And I don't quite see your point here: "While many families and small businesses along the Ping were devastated by the floods last year, the Gymkhana is merely concerned with redoing its bloody golf course." Of course the club tried to get back on its feet. We don't have reserves of cash to help anyone else, let alone ourselves, though I know for a fact that many of the members, whether affected by the floods themselves or not, donated and helped out with flood relief. Once again, you are confused; the club is owned by members, people like me, and we do our own bit for society, the club doesn't. The club just fuctions, there is no evil group of elitists here, we are all regular members of the community. The club struggles enough to survive from month to month, and with the floods, has been bleeding money. You say we have been "hawking cheap membeships to raise finds...so much for community." What is your point? That the club should just fold and die? You make no sense, hence my comment about the chip on your shoulder.

Your other comment is just plain nasty: "I suggest that if you applaud anachronistic elitism, and wish to support the myth of tradition, this club is the one for you."

Get that chip off your shoulder, and get your facts strait before you start your slandering.

Sorry for being a bit strong, but your comments just pissed me off because they were so ignorant and completely lacked any appreciation for all the work which members have selflessly put into the club to see to its survival.

Won't be seeing you at the Sixes then.