I Bought Them ,was The Price Right?

billyboy

On my last visit to Pattaya ,i bought my Mum,and the family those dressing gowns,short sleeves,you know the coloured dressing robes,night robes or whatever you call them,you know the ones im talking about dont youse? The ones advertised outside all the tailors ,there different colors,there a night robe,or dressing gown or whatever you want to call them.Anyway i done a bit of haggling and ended paying 700 b each for 5 of them from a indian tailor in walking st.gOTdifferent colors.

I checked the other tailors all wanted around the same price.I think there made of silk or something.

Anyway i brought there back here and told my stupid brother that i paid about 700 b which is about $22 australian each."My god "he says surprised,he says he saw them at the sydney markets for $5 each about 150 b????????////

The point is did i get ripped off? Theres no way i reckon there the same dressing gown for 150b?

700b is around the right price isnt it? Would it have been cheaper in Bangkok?

Prob could have got them for a bit less around 400-500bht range. If we are talking silk, I don't think one could find genuine silk for much less than that - granted since you are buying multiples should even be a bit cheaper.

Anyways if you think you got a good deal this is what matters. :o

No chance of only bt500 for a real silk gown, also at 700 I'd expect some very thin material I wouldn't recommend.

Can't comment further since I haven't seen what you bought. But it's not something to have made at a tailor's, unless you want a special design.

No chance of only bt500 for a real silk gown, also at 700 I'd expect some very thin material I wouldn't recommend.

Can't comment further since I haven't seen what you bought. But it's not something to have made at a tailor's, unless you want a special design.

Prefab - 1size fits all can be bought for 400-500bht (thin silk), tailor made - mate bought one for his gf and if I recall dbl lined it was around 1500bht.

Those robes all the tailors have, chinese style with a dragon or something on the back? They say they are silk but it looks more like 100% polyester to me.

Right! Couldn't be real silk for those prices.

And, most Indian tailors are 'rippers' :o

You can check the quality yourself with a match or lighter. Polyester fibre will turn into a hard end, whilst silk will stay smooth.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Why bother worrying about the price after you've already bought it? If you're happy with what you got then forget it. You're always going to find someone who got it cheaper or knows where to buy it for less.

My mother-in-law drives me nuts with this. If I buy a plastic cup for 5 baht she undoubtedly knows where to get it wholesale for 3. But, then again, she's Chinese and this is to be expected....

Those robes all the tailors have, chinese style with a dragon or something on the back? They say they are silk but it looks more like 100% polyester to me.

Spot on madsere....they are made of Rayon.

Also folks if you are buying an item which says Thai Silk.....this usually means it only has a 50% silk content....usually the rest is cotton.

If you see an item marked with an attached label 100% silk and are purchasing from a reputable outlet then it is probably 100% silk. i.e. from Bowling or Manchester outlets.

The ties which you see outside the tailors shops stating Thai silk are 50% silk and 50% cotton. :o

I stand corrected, then, haven't bought one for a couple of years, and that was in Bangers.

I bet TTM won't settle for less than 18.000 to get decent quality, though.

I don't know wabout those Chinese gowns. I know of Thai kimonos and pyjamas.

At Jim Thompson shop they were 1500 to 2800B if I remember correctly, the last one I bought was 3 years ago.

Those that were for me are still serving me well.