Upgrading A Yamaha Nouvo Elegance.

wackysleet

I am looking for information please. I have the 2009 Nouvo with 26,000kms, serviced monthly with engine and gearbox oil changes and in the three years I have owned it had no problems apart from a new battery.

I do quite long journeys on it but find that it tramlines quite badly with the tyres on it, replaced new at Yamaha as per original {I presume} front tyre is 70/90-16-MC-36P NF59 tubeless, rear tyre is 80/90-16-MC -48P NR76 tubeless I have to confess means very little to me, can I use a bigger and better tyre from a known maker which would afford a better all weather grip and avoid the tramlines.

A Thai friend told me that he read somewhere that the 133cc engine can be increased by a kit to about 160cc, has anyone heard of this kit, he thinks it's a Yamaha item but not sure, better still has anyone experience of this if it actually exists. Thanks for any replies.

You know by the time you get done with putting on the kit (probably under 8000 baht) The bike will still be a 2009 nuovo that will not get back any money you spend on mods . I have a 2011 nuovo & the only good mods I did to it was re- doing the seat for comfort & the rear shocks are now gas shocks. The problem with modifying a small bike is that a gust of wind will still peg your bike over the same as the 135 engine it already has. If anything it may decrease the value when you sell it. Most people are leary when they here it has a rebuilt or punched out top end Myself included.

For a little more you can get a low kilo-age Honda CBR250 or a CBR150 or if you like sleeker the 250 Kawasaki Ninja is worthy & has balls of steel comparing to the Nuovo. And when you sell it your price you get in return will be a better number & the amount of satisfaction will be greatly increased. I just jumped up to a 650 Kawi ER6N & love the power. Even a 250 would be a jump up . The 150 CBR is pretty snappy to. For about 30,000 baht & your bike you could get a 150 & they do have a lot more get up & go . With a back box you can still use it as a shopper bike.

The CBR 250's are going for 80,000-90,000 second hand & A 250 Ninja similar to the CBR 250. If you would rather have an upright bike there are some cheap ways of doing the mods to make them not pitched. I have my Kawasaki set up to be more of a cruiser.

If you keep the nuovo you can gain a bunch more horsepower by having the transmission tightened up. You will lose mileage doing it though. But you would also decrease the mileage with a top end punchout. Even a rejet kit for the carb will give you an increase in power without bastardizing the engine,And real cheap remedy. Vocal Neil could probably clue you in on more details as I am more into building super cars 600-1100 hp & bikes(not so much these days- but still race in the U.S. Every year)

Good luck on your decision whichever way you go.

P.S. there are other great bikes you can get fairly cheap that I didn't mention that are awesome & a true pleasure to drive compared to "just a scooter" . I still kept my nuovo but now it is the service bike for plumbing pipe & other assorted tasks that I don't want to tote on my 650.

Barry

Edited by Beardog

I am looking for information please. I have the 2009 Nouvo with 26,000kms, serviced monthly with engine and gearbox oil changes and in the three years I have owned it had no problems apart from a new battery.

I do quite long journeys on it but find that it tramlines quite badly with the tyres on it, replaced new at Yamaha as per original {I presume} front tyre is 70/90-16-MC-36P NF59 tubeless, rear tyre is 80/90-16-MC -48P NR76 tubeless I have to confess means very little to me, can I use a bigger and better tyre from a known maker which would afford a better all weather grip and avoid the tramlines.

A Thai friend told me that he read somewhere that the 133cc engine can be increased by a kit to about 160cc, has anyone heard of this kit, he thinks it's a Yamaha item but not sure, better still has anyone experience of this if it actually exists. Thanks for any replies.

I got wider tyres on mine, 20mm wider on back and 10mm wider on front Dunlop tt900's and back Irc ss530 (same tyre honda use on silverwing but smaller)

Feels like a different bike, much safer

Also there is big bore kits for the mio which go up to 250 or even 300 which may work but you don't have the frame strength, brakes or traction for that much power

And you will for sure give the engine a much shorter life

Not worth it when you count the cost of everything to do it properly you would be safer picking up a cbr250 for 70k

Beardog.

Thanks for the advice Barry, I have looked at both the CBR and Ninja 250s but feel at my age they are too uncomfortable to ride for any long periods as I can ride my Yamaha to Bangkok from Lampang every two weeks {600k} and back two days later, albeit with a sore and aching arse but your seat mod seems as though that may fix that problem along with the gas shocks.

I'm not or will never sell the Nouvo as eventually it will be a family runabout so am not concerned about resale value. The reason I asked about the cc upgrade was that I tend to stick to speeds of between 80/100 when safe to do so and thought with a few more CCs it would be easier on the bike.

I have to say that I go home to London twice a year for a couple of weeks where I own several old bikes but all in mint condition with the two I ride there all the time being a 500cc Gold Star B34 which I bought new in 1958 when I was 16 yrs old and a Velocette Venom 500cc both the bees knees in their day but were never very comfortable even at 16 yrs old but for comfort I like the Nouvo and it suits me now that I'm no longer a head down arse up rider.

Yip Yip Ya 123.

Thanks for your input and the info on the tyres, are they readily available and apprx how much?

the dunlop tt900 was750 thb 80mm width x 16"

the IRC SS 530 was 1180thb 100mm width x 16"

they are both much softer and better grip than those terrible cheap stock tyres that came with the bike

the shop fitted them for free and gave us free drinks and the owner speaks better english than many farangs :D

its in chinatown ,bangkok just off that famous roundabout but dont know what its called

• Like 1

Yip Yip Ya 123.

Thanks for your input and the info on the tyres, are they readily available and apprx how much?

the dunlop tt900 was750 thb 80mm width x 16"

the IRC SS 530 was 1180thb 100mm width x 16"

they are both much softer and better grip than those terrible cheap stock tyres that came with the bike

the shop fitted them for free and gave us free drinks and the owner speaks better english than many farangs :D

its in chinatown ,bangkok just off that famous roundabout but dont know what its called

It is called Wong Vien Yipsong - 22

All the major tire distributers in Bangkok are located there and i buy all my tires from there too with good discounts all the time and stop at Chinatown for a delicious fish maw soup:lol:

Edited by loserlazer

• 4 weeks later...

Feb 17, 2013

Whacky: saw you thread from last month and wanted to share my 2 satang. I bought an Elegance new last Feb. I'll be taking it in for 12,000km service tomorrow. I've driven cross country quite a bit: Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Nongkai, etc. I've read some accounts of people getting 110-120kph top speed but i've seen only ~106. I usually hold it to ~90 as the fuel economy is much better there.

I recently upgraded the tires, adding 10mm width to: 100/90 rear, 90/90 front Michelins. I can't remember the model designation, but it was basically the only street tread Michelin catalog showed in this size tire. 1850 baht the pair. Noticeably much smoother on the bumps and holes. Safer if you hit a pothole at speed too I believe. Plus they look cool. I run 34/30 PSI rear/front.

I'd like to throw this thought out for comments:

The 16" rims on the Nouvo is an oddball size. Down the road when my current tires need replacement, I've thought of having the hubs re-laced with 17" rims which are common on many semi-automatic and other bikes. Assuming no clearance problems with the front fender, it would be geared a little higher, maybe gain a little in fuel economy and top end, and, well, bigger is better. Wadaya think?

Here is a 250baht upgrade I HIGHLY recommend to any biker in a tropical climate: a mesh seat cover. You may have seen them. These provide about 1cm air space between rider's pants and the vinyl, preventing sweat build-up and maybe rash. They come in a variety of sizes and install quick quick on most scooter seats. I also had one installed on my Honda CBR front seat which took a some effort by the shop, but turned out nice.

Ride safe!

post-174911-0-32599000-1361084381_thumb.

Vocal Neal could probably clue you in on more details as I am more into building super cars 600-1100 hp & bikes(not so much these days- but still race in the U.S. Every year)

Thanks for the vote of confidence I have sent him a PM. I don't have anything currently for Yamaha Nuovo. But can do something.

Edited by VocalNeal

I would like to replace or reupholster the seat on my 09 Nuvo. Any recommendations for a shop in BKK. Any place that you think has quality workmanship. Thanks.

There are so many and BKK is such a big city. Where do you live?

One I used before on my Honda Airblade is located on Sukhumvit 71 just after soi 25 on the left side.(Coming from the Sukhumvit end)

They did my seat about 4 years ago and it still looks great. Cost was about 500B.

I would like to replace or reupholster the seat on my 09 Nuvo. Any recommendations for a shop in BKK. Any place that you think has quality workmanship. Thanks.

There are so many and BKK is such a big city. Where do you live?

One I used before on my Honda Airblade is located on Sukhumvit 71 just after soi 25 on the left side.(Coming from the Sukhumvit end)

They did my seat about 4 years ago and it still looks great. Cost was about 500B.

I know that place. I had never heard any word on them. I will give them a try. Thanks.

Digressing slightly, what fuel are you Nouvo Elegance drivers using now benzene 91 (red) is gone? Having always used benzene 91, I switched to gasohol 91 and after several tank fulls I noticed while idling, the engine sounded about to conk out and duly did yesterday while my girlfriend was driving!

Was sure my manual (and petrol cap) said gasohol 91 could be used and looked closer. The cap says "benzene or gasohol (E10)" on a green sticker with a big "91" on it. I took this to mean the green pump of gasohol 91 (as it's E10) would be ok. Obviously not.

The Yamaha garage says use gasohol 95 (orange) but I read that gasohol soaks up moisture from the air so it could cause a layer of water to build up causing some problems getting/keeping the engine running. Sounds familiar. Not sure I should use gasohol at all then!

Is everyone using benzene 95 yellow?

...If you keep the nuovo you can gain a bunch more horsepower by having the transmission tightened up. You will lose mileage doing it though....Vocal Neil could probably clue you in on more details...

Have done the research and sent another PM.