Missing Swiss Student Tourist Alive And Well, In Thai Prison

Lite Beer

Unfortunately, there's no way to know what actually transpired between the girl and the officer.

Maybe she was a kleptomaniac? Who knows?

I suppose a good place to start would for the Swiss authorities to pull up her records in Switzerland.

If she has a history of minor offences, such as stealing/shoplifting, it's quite possible she did actually steal the camera.

If not, MY version of the story would be:

Girl overstayed, immigration guy told her to pay the fine, girl got pissed off about the fine, immigration guy said no need to pay the fine, if she gave him her camera, girl refused again, immigration guy locked her up for overstay and twisted the story around.

I love the oxymoronic title, "Alive and well, in a Thai prison"

Is it possible to be both at the same time?

Seems it all started with overstaying. In all my 25 plus years living the expat life I never understand why people overstay visas. It's asking for trouble everywhere. When you're overseas adhere to your visa conditions. It's easy.

• Like 1

Occams Razor again:

Of all possible explanations,

the simplest one is usually correct.

1. She heard stories of kick-backs and corruption, thought she was being scammed into paying excessive or false over-stay fine(s), took offense and decided not to pay.

2. The camera may have been used to photograph her for legal purposes to support documentation for recorded offense, etc, maybe she thought to destroy photos, maybe keep camera to even the exchange when she finally pays the over-stay fine.

I doubt she stole anything. She most likely gave the officers attitude and they retaliated. Those officers think they're above the law, as do most across the globe. Unless there's CCTV proof of a theft, (and why wouldn't there be CCTV in an immigration office?), then this is total BS. Also, why would personal belongings be accessible to tourists in the first place? What a waste of everyone's time. Think it was a mistake not to notify her family after a week? They're punishing her. A-holes.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, there's no way to know what actually transpired between the girl and the officer.

Maybe she was a kleptomaniac? Who knows?

I suppose a good place to start would for the Swiss authorities to pull up her records in Switzerland.

If she has a history of minor offences, such as stealing/shoplifting, it's quite possible she did actually steal the camera.

If not, MY version of the story would be:

Girl overstayed, immigration guy told her to pay the fine, girl got pissed off about the fine, immigration guy said no need to pay the fine, if she gave him her camera, girl refused again, immigration guy locked her up for overstay and twisted the story around.

clap2.gif now thats more like it

Perhaps the real story is that the girl had a nice new camera that was coveted by the immigration officer??

You can never give benefit of doubt to a Thai Police or Official. Never.

She probably mouthed off.

That pissed them off and they put her in jail on some sham charge, didn't bother to contact the Swiss Embassy.

It will be interesting to get her side of the story later.

a 22 year old swiss girl on overstay ........ i believe that part

a 22 year old swiss girl stealing a camera in a immigration facility ..... NOT A CHANCE I WILL BELIVE THAT

It would be like believing every time we get pulled over for tea money we have actually done something wrong w00t.gif

hope she gets home soon

Seems it all started with overstaying. In all my 25 plus years living the expat life I never understand why people overstay visas. It's asking for trouble everywhere. When you're overseas adhere to your visa conditions. It's easy.

when your on holiday do you really keep count one what day of the week it is blink.png personally i go on holiday to Chill out day of the week don't matter to me

it only happened once but i managed to miss a flight whistling.gif I WAS A DAY LATE WHEN I GOT TO AIRPORT whistling.gif TG staff was kind enough to just put me on the flight anyway at no extra cost tongue.png lucky me

She had entered Thailand on December 8 with a tourist visa, which allowed her to stay for 15 days

Never heard of a 15 day Tourist Visa. unsure.png

Where have you been? You dont have a visa you get 15 days. Unless you are being silly by posting a blog over the words Tourist Visa!!!

when your on holiday do you really keep count one what day of the week it is blink.png personally i go on holiday to Chill out day of the week don't matter to me

it only happened once but i managed to miss a flight whistling.gif I WAS A DAY LATE WHEN I GOT TO AIRPORT whistling.gif TG staff was kind enough to just put me on the flight anyway at no extra cost tongue.png lucky me

When I'm away from my home country I am always aware of when my visa expires and plan my travel accordingly. It isn't something people should take lightly. "Oh sorry I lost track of time" doesn't cut it. Countries tend to take their immigration laws seriously.

And I know you technically don't have a visa when you're a tourist here, but your stay is limited and they even help by putting the actual date in your passport ...

Edited by sfbandung
  • Like 1

She had entered Thailand on December 8 with a tourist visa, which allowed her to stay for 15 days

Why is a Tourist Visa only valid for 15 days ? if she came overland with NO Visa she would have been given 15 days........ so say in the report. she had a Tourist Visa

I agree, either the reporting is very poor or she did not have a visa. If she did have a visa it should have been good for 3 to 6 months. If she arrived by air she is exempt form the visa requirement and could have stayed for 30 days or 15 days by land. If the information that has been reported is accurate, she was justly charged for overstay.

Did I miss something?

Where is the evidence that this young lady stole a camera, and is now or was required to pay 130,000 baht for its replacement?

I'd like to know what kind of immigration officer can afford a 130,000 baht camera to sit in his/her office - cos a top Nikon with zoom lens and additional lenses is only 70K !!!

-mel. ohmy.png

130,000 bail, not replacement cost of camera.

I doubt she stole anything. She most likely gave the officers attitude and they retaliated. Those officers think they're above the law, as do most across the globe. Unless there's CCTV proof of a theft, (and why wouldn't there be CCTV in an immigration office?), then this is total BS. Also, why would personal belongings be accessible to tourists in the first place? What a waste of everyone's time. Think it was a mistake not to notify her family after a week? They're punishing her. A-holes.

Apparently she thought SHE was above the law.

If we are to believe anything it would be more like a typical example of Thai spitefulness. The immigration officer was slighted and perceived that he lost some face. He was going for pay back and planted the camera. That makes more sense to me than the story as reported.

If in fact she did violate the overstay and refuse to pay the charge, and was asked to wait in the immigration room and then pocketed the camera which just happened to be laying around with no one else in the room, then she has herself to blame. Thais seem to be more spiteful than most and especially when they may have lost face. Traveler beware. With so many other options available, Thailand is not ever welcoming or just to foreign travelers when the moment of truth arrives.

The tipoff to unravel this event is the 130,000 baht bail / ransom, as well as failing to notify the Swiss

embassy of her incarceration. The other tipoff may be the city, Ranong.

It appears the army, navy, and police there are all bent given the incredible bad news about the selling of the Burmese refugees.

So if immigration ( who are police by the way) were bent as well, it would not be a shocking revelation ...wai2.gif

Hate to always think the worst of the police, but they bring this upon themselves with bad behavior.

I look forward to hearing her side of the story. Am sure she will be on the talk show circuit in Switzerland.....

• Like 1

The governments of these young tourist really need to do more to educate these ones before they travel. Especially the younger ones. They grow up in the society that condition them to think I AM THE CUSTOMER AND THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT

Also many young think its cool to abuse any official they want because in most cases the officials in their own country are trained properly in confrontation and are not allowed to retaliate to these brats and must cop it sweet.

Then they will come over here with their haughy taughty attitude and think they are superior to all...them will find themselves in VERY hot water if they try it on with the wrong official here.

Regardless of who is right and wrong there is a time to shut up and toe the line. I guess this is where the folly of youth does come to a big downfall. I suspect this one probably sitting in the cell right now pondering these things

• Like 2

It could also be that the Swiss girl had a fight with her mother. Maybe she didnt want to be rescued. Maybe she denied to take the phone call that she was allowed to by the Thai authorities. .

Maybe she just wanted to rot in a jail .

And maybe the moon is made of green cheese. That doesn't make the story told any more plausible.

Does anyone have anything positive to add instead of opinionated crap?

I am sure the Thai Visa will be sad to hear about opinions made on their discussion boards being referred to

as " opinionated crap "..... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Gee I wonder if the negative comments being made about the actions of Thai government officials could be based

upon the experiences of long term expats here....hmmmmmm....

This has the smell of extortion all over it, held incommunicado against international rules. Makes one wonder what pics were on that 7 year old camera.

I have a question about police procedures. If I get arrested, for theft or whatever, and I ask the police not to inform the embassy or anybody else, does the police nevertheless have to call the embassy according to the rule book?