Ram For Macmini (Early 2009)

Ratsima

I want to buy a couple of 4GB SO-DIMMs for a MacMini. They need to be DDR3 PC8500 (1066). No one in Korat seems to have them. I will be in Bangkok next week.

​Does anyone know of a specific shop, preferably in the lower Suk area, that is known to have these in stock? I will be there only briefly for a medical checkup, so don't have time to travel far.

TIA

That sounds like the same kind of RAM I needed for my Mid-2010 MBP. I could not find it anywhere in Thailand (1333 only) so I had to get it from OWC instead (US based).

http://macsales.com/

Well, Memory Today has it at 1,590 baht per 4GB stick. OWC charges US$62.00 for a pair plus US$18.00 for International Priority Mail.

So, we're talking about a hundred bucks from MemToday vs. eighty bucks from OWC.

Now the question is: Did you get hit with customs duty on your OWC order?

Hello All, I ordered my ram from OWC and delivered to my door

here in Korat, no problems. 2012 Mini.

If your in a rush or need to go to BKK, otherwise do it from home.

How much would a BKK trip cost+ram?

rice555

No VAT charges.

Edited by rice555

That sounds like the same kind of RAM I needed for my Mid-2010 MBP. I could not find it anywhere in Thailand (1333 only) so I had to get it from OWC instead (US based).

http://macsales.com/

The 1333-speed RAM will work just fine.

Memory Today is one of the easiest places to get RAM in Bangkok as they are at Fortune Town, which is next to the MRT.

The 1333-speed RAM will work just fine.

Nope. I learned the hard way that not all Mac models can downspeed RAM. I bought a couple of 1333s from a dealer here in Korat who convinced me they would work. They did not. When I returned them he asked me what sort of computer it was. When I said, "Mac Mini", he said, "OK. Not support." He was right.

I've ordered a pair of 1066s from Memory Today.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All, Ratsima have you got your RAM and installed it yet?

Any problems??

rice555

Mission accomplished. RAM arrived via EMS in a day, installed in minutes and all is well. Performance improvement is significant. No more pageouts. Safari is, for the most part, behaving very well.

Would have done it long ago, but I always thought that this model of MacMini maxed out at 4GB. Turns out a late 2009 firmware update bumped that to 8GB. It needs it.