Bts Longer Trains

Kananga

I looked out of my living room window at 2 am last night and noticed a 6 car train on the Silom line. The Silom line currently runs 4 car trains.

It just about fitted in the station.

Not sure how long they test these for, but it will be a welcome addition to the rush hour squeeze.

• Like 1

Wow, haven't seen one yet. It will sure be nice. They have already been adding the number of 4 car trains. I only see a few 3's left.

The Sukhumvit has started running 4 car trains too. Although there are still plenty of 3 car ones during the day. The 6 car one looked like a monster in comparison. Although I am not sure if this will cause more congestion at Saphan Taksin.

Wow, haven't seen one yet. It will sure be nice. They have already been adding the number of 4 car trains. I only see a few 3's left.

The Sukhumvit has started running 4 car trains too. Although there are still plenty of 3 car ones during the day. The 6 car one looked like a monster in comparison. Although I am not sure if this will cause more congestion at Saphan Taksin.

That station is due to close, so that won't be a problem.

If it "just about fitted in the station", it wasn't a 6 car train. The stations are designed to fit 6 car trains.

It was probably an 8 car train - 2 x 4 car trains hooked together - to move them around.

Believe it or not, I am capable of counting to 6. There were 6 cars. If it was an 8 car train it wouldnt have fitted in the station at all.

I said IF. Did the 6 cars fit or not?

If it "just about fitted in the station", it wasn't a 6 car train. The stations are designed to fit 6 car trains.

It was probably an 8 car train - 2 x 4 car trains hooked together - to move them around.

Believe it or not, I am capable of counting to 6. There were 6 cars. If it was an 8 car train it wouldnt have fitted in the station at all.

I said IF. Did the 6 cars fit or not?

Just about. the 6 cars took up the full length of the platform.

"Just about" sounds like they didn't fit.

The platforms are designed for 6 carriages, so if there were only 6 carriages then the train DID fit in the station.

If the train was hanging out the end of the station (ie it did NOT fit) then it wasn't a 6 car train.

The platforms are designed for 6 carriages, so if there were only 6 carriages then the train DID fit in the station.

If the train was hanging out the end of the station (ie it did NOT fit) then it wasn't a 6 car train.

I can't believe I am arguing with someone who wasn't even there. There were six cars. End of story.

I can't believe I'm discussing something with some that can't read. Did the train fit or not?

"Just about" means that it didn't. Which is very confusing given that the stations are designed for 6 carriages.

Edited by whybother

If my somewhat objective opinion counts, it was perfectly clear to me that it was 6 cars and they just about fit in the station.... eg "we drove 180 km and were just about to make it to our destination when.....". I think it signifies coming short (of fitting in this case).

Anyway, I find this a hopeful development. It is hard to get any news so somebody that can report from a balcony with a bts view is nice indeed :)As mentioned, I have been seeing more and more of the 4's, which makes jack a very happy boy.

About saphan taksin, I know they announced that, but I don't think they will close it. Just an opinion mind you.

Edited by utalkin2me
  • Like 1

If my somewhat objective opinion counts, it was perfectly clear to me that it was 6 cars and they just about fit in the station.... eg "we drove 180 km and were just about to make it to our destination when....."

Anyway, I find this a hopeful development. It is hard to get any news so somebody that can report from a balcony with a bts view is nice indeed :)As mentioned, I have been seeing more and more of the 4's, which makes jack a very happy boy.

You just about reached it, but you hadn't. It just about fit, but it didn't.

About saphan taksin, I know they announced that, but I don't think they will close it. Just an opinion mind you.

If they don't close it, it will affect the service levels on the rest of the line. I don't think they'll close it for a while.

Edited by whybother

Back to the topic, they just took the "new" looking trains from the silom line to the other one. Trains on the Silom line are now new the ones that used to serve the sukhumvit line and they added two cars to make the old trains as long as the new looking trains.

I can't believe I am arguing with someone who wasn't even there. There were six cars. End of story.

I can't believe I'm discussing something with some that can't read. Did the train fit or not?

"Just about" means that it didn't. Which is very confusing given that the stations are designed for 6 carriages.

Just about means that it fit with nothing left over.

Just about means that it fit with nothing left over.

Exactly.

Although it was amusing watching a pedant at work...

Edited by Kananga
  • Like 1

Exactly.

Although it was amusing watching a pedant at work...

Wrong. "Just fit" means fit with nothing left over, while "just about fit" would indicate that it did not fit but was only a bit over. Pedants unite!!!!

Still, a silly argument because I am sure you can count, unless you only have one hand. wink.png

The service this morning on the Sukhumvit line at 8:30 a.m. sucked big time. The time between trains was so high so they were all packed. Ten minutes late for work because I could not get on without trying to commuter surf. Something that is very rare for me, both being late and commuter surfing.

Edited by GarryP
  • Like 2

Wrong. "Just fit" means fit with nothing left over, while "just about fit" would indicate that it did not fit but was only a bit over. Pedants unite!!!!

I'll admit the ridiculousness of this debate, but that is just not true. You guys are ignoring 2 points, already pointed out. Something that doesn't fit can be either too big or too small. And, it was clear from what he wrote it was in fact not hanging out. All "just about" means is "close". If it wasn't clear I have no idea how I magically came to that conclusion anyway, unless i'm clairvoyant smile.png

Edited by utalkin2me

I'll admit the ridiculousness of this debate, but that is just not true. You guys are ignoring 2 points, already pointed out. Something that doesn't fit can be either too big or too small. And, it was clear from what he wrote it was in fact not hanging out. All "just about" means is "close". If it wasn't clear I have no idea how I magically came to that conclusion anyway, unless i'm clairvoyant smile.png

Common sense?

Maybe if Kananga had just answered "Yes" or "No" to a simple question put to him very early in the thread, it would have been clear what he meant.

As you said, "just about" could have two meanings. In your example above. You were "just about" there, meaning you were NOT there. The train "just about" fit, meaning it didn't fit. Whether "just about" means that it was too small or too big is not clear, which was why I asked for clarification. A simple Yes or No would have stopped this 15 posts ago.

Maybe if Kananga had just answered "Yes" or "No" to a simple question put to him very early in the thread, it would have been clear what he meant.

As you said, "just about" could have two meanings. In your example above. You were "just about" there, meaning you were NOT there. The train "just about" fit, meaning it didn't fit. Whether "just about" means that it was too small or too big is not clear, which was why I asked for clarification. A simple Yes or No would have stopped this 15 posts ago.

It means he estimated that it fit but didn't feel the need to get out the surveying equipment in order to satisfy the pedantic among us.

It means he estimated that it fit but didn't feel the need to get out the surveying equipment in order to satisfy the pedantic among us.

I didn't ask for exact measurements. I asked if it fit. He said "just about", which, as shown in this thread, is not clear.

I didn't ask for exact measurements. I asked if it fit. He said "just about", which, as shown in this thread, is not clear.

Perhaps thats because I was looking at the train from a window away from the track. I wasnt on the platform with a ruler and tape measure. I did mention this in my original post. And if you think that just about fits means it almost fits and that you are sure the train platform can only take 6 cars how did you come to the conclusion that it was most likely 8 cars which would have had a whole car sticking out of either side of the platform? It was probably an 8 car train - 2 x 4 car trains hooked together

I can't believe you are still arguing about this with other people and you didnt even see it. Hilarious! There were 6 cars. End of story. Accept it and move on with your life.

Perhaps thats because I was looking at the train from a window away from the track. I wasnt on the platform with a ruler and tape measure. I did mention this in my original post. And if you think that just about fits means it almost fits and that you are sure the train platform can only take 6 cars how did you come to the conclusion that it was most likely 8 cars which would have had a whole car sticking out of either side of the platform? It was probably an 8 car train - 2 x 4 car trains hooked together

I can't believe you are still arguing about this with other people and you didnt even see it. Hilarious! There were 6 cars. End of story. Accept it and move on with your life.

I didn't say it WAS an 8 car train. I said IF it didn't fit in the station then it was probably an 8 car train.

I accepted it was a 6 car train. "The platforms are designed for 6 carriages, so if there were only 6 carriages then the train DID fit in the station."

I even posted an explanation for it.

I was just trying to clarify whether it was too big for the station or not.

I didn't say it WAS an 8 car train. I said IF it didn't fit in the station then it was probably an 8 car train.

I accepted it was a 6 car train. "The platforms are designed for 6 carriages, so if there were only 6 carriages then the train DID fit in the station."

I even posted an explanation for it. http://www.thaivisa....s/#entry6051407

I was just trying to clarify whether it was too big for the station or not.

I already told you, it just about fitted.

Edited by Kananga
  • Like 2