Gasohol And Carbs

OmegaRacer

Hi

I was wondering if my Keihin CR38 carburetor, which is about 2-3 years old, would be able to take Gasohol instead of Benzin91. I ride a 1998 Yamaha SR400.

What about the other rubber/plastic parts in my bike?

I heard of some SR riders in Thailand who have been using Gasohol for a while without problems, but I think it's just a matter of time before something happens.

Any ideas? What are you guys with older bikes doing?

Without any exact manufacturing dates it would be hard to tell if your carburetor is equipped with ethanol resistant plastic and rubber parts. The good news is that Keihin has for almost all carburetors they ever made a kit available which includes all parts that need to be replaced to make your carburetor ethanol resistant.

• Like 2

Thanks Richard! That makes me feel better already.

Here is a picture of my carb....

Do you have a contact/ link I could use to get those parts?

You can ask for customer information at Keihin Asia in Bangkok 02-261-0251. They not sell to you directly, but they can point you in the right direction.

• Like 1

Thanks Richard! That makes me feel better already.

Here is a picture of my carb....

Do you have a contact/ link I could use to get those parts?

Small detail should the Yamaha SR400 not have a Mikuni VM32 carburetor?

Edited by Richard-BKK

Yes, but I upgraded to the Keihin CR38 which is far superior...

If you're technical enough you can disassemble the carburetor and wipe the float with a cotton clote which you dipped in E20 Gasohol (just buy a liter at the local petrol station). If the clote show any residue from the floats material your carburetor is not ethanol ready. If the clote shows no residue of the floats plastic material your carburetors plastic is made with ethanol resistant materials...

Caution this does NOT mean you can use E20 fuel, just stick with Gasohol 91 (10% ethanol).

Why risk it? They say benzine 95 is either already available or coming soon almost everywhere in Thailand, so there is no need to put that awful stuff (gasohol) in your bike. The savings in baht over a year would be negligable, and it is reputed to get worse mileage anyway.

Why risk it? They say benzine 95 is either already available or coming soon almost everywhere in Thailand, so there is no need to put that awful stuff (gasohol) in your bike. The savings in baht over a year would be negligable, and it is reputed to get worse mileage anyway.

If you think 20% or more is nothing and believe that over 100 million cars in america are going to crap from gasohol. Then by all means spend that extra money. I am sure the oil companies wont complain.

• Like 1

If you... believe that over 100 million cars in america are going to crap from gasohol. Then by all means spend that extra money. I am sure the oil companies wont complain.

The kind of cars I like - very old cars - probably are going to crap from gasohol. But none of this really has anything to do with the oil companies - its more of a political/agriculture boondoggle. I'm sure the oil companies would prefer to sell people what they actually want - plain, real gas (leaded too, for that matter), but the government and the agricultural constituency won't allow it.

• Like 1

If you... believe that over 100 million cars in america are going to crap from gasohol. Then by all means spend that extra money. I am sure the oil companies wont complain.

The kind of cars I like - very old cars - probably are going to crap from gasohol. But none of this really has anything to do with the oil companies - its more of a political/agriculture boondoggle. I'm sure the oil companies would prefer to sell people what they actually want - plain, real gas (leaded too, for that matter), but the government and the agricultural constituency won't allow it.

Oh Yes...That evil government and agricultural constituency pared off against those benevolent oil companies. Did you know that in by 1918 farm prices for corn were up to $2.00 a bushel yet during the 1980's corn farmers often received less than $1.50 a bushel? Did you know that in 1980 U.S. President Jimmy Carter initiated a grain embargo against the Soviet Union that all but killed US. export grain exports with the sole purpose of punishing the Soviet Union for its invasion of Afghanistan? (lesson to be learned here that it's okay for the U.S. to invade Afghanistan but not okay for the Russians to do so) so that the American farmer could be the main weapon against the Soviets during the Cold War? Needless to say that grain embargo taught the entire world that the U.S. could not be considered a reliable grain farmer (the U.S. was producing roughly half the world's supply of corn) so not only did the U.S. lose its best customer, the Soviet Union, entire agricultural economies were created to compete with the U.S., notably in Brazil. The U.S. farmer was made into almost the sole offensive weapon against those evil Soviets as the U.S. consumer benefited by the resulting basement prices. Did you know that farmers were all but forced to sign into agriculture programs in which they had to raise non-revenue producing crops such as alfalfa and clover on 20 % of their corn acres which they then had to plow under after having to mow those cover crops with lawn mowers all summer long? I'd like to know where all these powerful agricultural constituencies were back then. May I suggest that if it weren't for gasohol that the American agricultural infrastructure would have been destroyed and that by now you could be buying all your grain overseas as well as nearly all your fuel and that you could now be paying a lot more for your food than you are now.

This little graph which I got from the Washington post should give you a hint of how good we Americans have had it compared to the rest of the world. Note that these figures are shares of expenditures paid out in several of the world's more affluent countries. consumer%20expenditures%20us%20canada%20uk%20japan.jpg?uuid=TW004HxxEeGSEyGJkDrcGw

As for today's high grain prices, they have been caused by the worse drought in nearly 70 years and that has caused them to nearly double in a year's time. Your so called political/agriculture boondoggle had nothing to do with it.

I have an old 2 stroke 150 cc Phantom but have been using gasohol for about 3 years now.

recently having problems getting it started. maybe the carburator ???????

thoughts please.wai.gif

Might well be. Start by opening the float bowl at the bottom of the carb and look if there's any residue there. Then check the main jet.

http://www.perr.com/tip14.html

Edited by OmegaRacer

I have an old 2 stroke 150 cc Phantom but have been using gasohol for about 3 years now.

thoughts please.wai.gif

If your Honda Phantom 150 has problems with starting, I would probably not directly look at the carburetor. When was the last time you cleaned the exhaust pipe?

The Honda Phantom 150 is a two-stroke, and two-strokes engines are known to choke up the exhaust pipe with a substance what closely resembles asphalt...

When a two-stroke has an exhaust pipe which is almost completely blocked you have serious problems starting it and the other symptom is that it will not reach its high-rpm redline (due to the nature of a Honda Phantom 150 you maybe not push it often to the redline for full performance).

The fix is to disassemble the exhaust pipe and burn it with a good amount of petrol, after this the asphalt like substance with be as hard and easily chipped of with a few soft blows of a hammer... Reassemble the exhaust pipe and you are good to go for another few years....

thoughts please.wai.gif

Maybe you have to buy a new carburetor. I wonder if it will cost more than you saved by buying gasohol instead of real benzine?

thoughts please.wai.gif

Maybe you have to buy a new carburetor. I wonder if it will cost more than you saved by buying gasohol instead of real benzine?

I doubt it.