Falang Food Thais Love Eating....

krisb

Thought I'd start a list up of falang foods Thais I know love eating!... If theres any others you know, please feel free to post....

Scrambled eggs...pour a little milk in the mix and served on toast. Wife loves em!

Spaghetti bolognese!...this is a winner big time. Had the ladies in the village come round and made me show them how I cooked it!

Pancakes with jam....could have sold these in the village. Winner big time.

Mashed potato!...yes, believe it or not. Mashed spuds with butter and milk. My wife took a masher back to the village to show the whole family. w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif Sap der!

Surf and turf...Thats just a juicy steak with prawns served on top!..mmmmm....served with veg.

Cauliflower and or broccoli cheese. She had never seen or had it before. Really liked it though.

Wraps. Like chicken salad wraps in that flat bread rolled up like a kebab. They really like em.

Magnum ice creams. Well thats probably a no brainer. What girls dont like these ice creams?...None I know.

Ok, theres a few I can think off the top of my head. These are dishes my wife really really likes to eat. Its kinda not that easy cooking for Thais cause their food tastes full of flavor. Anyway, add to the list!wai.gif

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My list would be almost exactly the same as yours krisb.

My missus also go nuts over shortbread, iced buns and ravioli.

Yes in fact any sweet bread with fruit inside from the bakery wifey loves but strangely not so much the chocolate donuts etc. On the bakery thing theres also the potato/steak pie. Shes discovered em and doesnt mind em.

Heres 1 that a few of us have discovered Thai girls love and thats the humble Aussie bbq snag with bread and sauce. My wifes def not the only 1 to love these things.

• Like 1

Shepards pie. Everyone loves it.

Had to show my mate how to cook it who bought an oven , first time he used it. After all the sweat from the heat of the oven I don't think he ever used it again. biggrin.png

Basically anything really depending on the person. Usually the more westernised they are they more western food they eat.

Spaghetti bolognese here again. Even had one of the workers kids asking for more when normally it's a struggle getting him to eat anything, but as he doesn't eat spicey rice and omelette does get boring. Eggy breads is another he will eat.

And as much as people say on here Thais don't like Indian food, the wife and friends love it. My homemade onion bhajis and mango chutney was scoffed down by the BIL. Felt sorry for his Missus in bed that night. sick.gif

Scrambled eggs and mashed potatoes as you say.

English chips. English sausages.

• Like 1

I agree on the Indian food arthurwait. My wife loves it (the hotter the better of course). The first time she ever ate it was under protest about 20 years ago at the end of Soi Post Office? in Patong and hardly a week's gone by since when she hasn't had at least a curry or two. And naan bread, gotta have the naan bread.

As for Vegemite, she hates the stuff. She tried it once and has never eaten it again despite the fact the kids and I have always had a jar of it in the house.

She doesn't mind dairy products but wouldn't crawl over broken glass for it. A little cheese now and then maybe, but she can down a tub of yoghurt like water.

Contrary to many threads here the number one has to be anything with lamb in it. Closely followed by UK style Indian Curries. Loves my homemade biscuits and scones but complains about the extra weight they cause.........doesn't stop them vanishing from the plate though.

Edited by RabC
  • Like 1

Fried potatoes for breakfast with a generous addition of onions, black pepper, and cheese.

I also cook Thai food, but I westernise a lot of dishes. I add honey and pineapple to Geng Massaman Gai, and my Thai friends go nuts over it.

• Like 1

This is something that maybe is mor typical for us scandinavians but the dish "Janssons Frestelse"; potatoes sliced like french fraiche shape together with onion, salt and pepper, anjovis, and the anjovis-spade and cream. Than in with it in the owen for like 2 hours or when readycooked.

Here in Isaan people just love it.....maybe the similarity between our fermented herring and their Plaraa makes the trick. They also loves the pizza I am making.. plus a lot of the list from the threadstarter.

Glegolo

Peet-saa; No 1 in my family; has to be the horrible Pizza Co variety with the horrendous cheesey sausage bites around the edge. Proper NY Italian pizzas (Marcos in Ubon) are dismissed as falang rubbish.

No 2 Suchi (but that's not falang!)

No 3 KFC

Philistines! (apart from the suchi).

• Like 1

Vegemite on toast with a fried egg on top. The vegemite is Better than slashing maggi all over it

Wait, i dont even know of any assie that like vegemite!

but I only know some americanized aussies.

To answer the question.... Pizza!

but i'm sure someone already mentioned that.

Vegemite on toast with a fried egg on top. The vegemite is Better than slashing maggi all over it

Love the nationality assie, I think if you don't mind I may continue to use that?

Love the nationality assie, I think if you don't mind I may continue to use that?

I dont know any Aussies that dont like vegemite. Its delicious! thinly spread or thick for some. My wife hates it.

Yes pizza and sushi she loves especially tuna sushi

Opps, freudian typo :)

just kidding. ameraicans generally like aussies, kiwis, canucks, and even brits and our friends over on the emerald isles.

we generally like everyone,,,,, except the dutch. :D

1. Chilli-con-carne
  2. Mince and tatties
  3. Chicken fajitas
  4. Chicken domoda (West African)
  5. Scrambled egg
  6. British fried breakfast
  7. Roast dinner
  8. Messaman curry (my style)

Yes, I enjoy cooking biggrin.png

wai.gif

From the above, 1,3,4,5, 6 and 8.

Also loves, Korean, Chinese, Indian, Italian and Mexican, makes a mean chip butty and knocks out awesome Buffalo Wings.

This is something that maybe is mor typical for us scandinavians but the dish "Janssons Frestelse"; potatoes sliced like french fraiche shape together with onion, salt and pepper, anjovis, and the anjovis-spade and cream. Than in with it in the owen for like 2 hours or when readycooked.

Here in Isaan people just love it.....maybe the similarity between our fermented herring and their Plaraa makes the trick. They also loves the pizza I am making.. plus a lot of the list from the threadstarter.

Glegolo

try to make Salon pudding, my staff loves that more than Janssons.

Here's a receipt for you non Swedes.

http://easilygoodeats.blogspot.com/2011/05/salmon-pudding-laxpudding-recipe.html

Also they like my beef stew.

And of course the spaghetti bologneise.

Use allot of of shitake mushrooms, garlic and chilli.

• Like 1