On The Bones Of Ones Bum In Thailand....

Chittychangchang

Hypothetical scenario which i'm sure many members have given thought to in light of the strong Baht and the recession.

You came to Thailand solvent cutting all links with your past and gave it your best shot, but through circumstances beyond your control you are now on the bones of your arse without a baht to your name, clothes on your back and no friends or family to call on for help.

You have no welfare system to rely on in your native country.

You are in good health at the moment.

What would you do???

You carn't afford to go home, you have nothing to go home for in fact you now regard Thailand as your home.

A couple of possibilities are working in The Timeshare industry or some Bangkok boiler room.

Any other possibilities.

Edited by Chittychangchang

this already happened to the infamous bangkok homeless brit who lived at soi 7/1 sukhumvit subway for a while. search out that thread, it's quite a saga. he started out as an english teacher, became homeless and still taught english from time to time. he drank changs every night that he bought or stole and slept in the chair outside the subway sandwich place for more than a year. he'd steal books and other things to sell. he eventually got caught stealing for the umpteenth time at an emporium shop and story stops there. he had been in jail prior and court released him in spite of being on multi-year overstay.

You carn't afford to go home, you have nothing to go home for in fact you now regard Thailand as your home.

A couple of possibilities are working in The Timeshare industry or some Bangkok boiler room.

Any other possibilities.

so, you reckon boiler room jobs are available at the drop of a hat for any vague waster out there?

maybe 10 years ago, i suspect it isn't that easy anymore, folks i knew from that era are either minted, dead, or gone

Any other possibilities.

It would depend a lot on the individual skills of the bum.

Well the hypothetical isn't so far off from reality. In the us there is no "fall back"...no "council homes" no "national health care system".

I suppose the old fallback I guess would be teaching English. Age doesn't matter for the profession and there are always places (rural schools or private tutoring) that would hire you even if not very qualified.

• Like 1

Well the hypothetical isn't so far off from reality. In the us there is no "fall back"...no "council homes" no "national health care system".

I suppose the old fallback I guess would be teaching English. Age doesn't matter for the profession and there are always places (rural schools or private tutoring) that would hire you even if not very qualified.

I'm not so sure. For me the US is my fallback position. For anyone 65 or older there is medicare, and for the poor there is medicaid. It remains to be seen what "Obamacare" will be. I plan to always "maintain a residence" in the US and keep my Medicare Advantage in force. It costs me just $125 per month for full coverage including prescription meds. If I'm not too sick to fly, I'm heading home if it comes to that.

No hospital in the US can refuse care due to a lack of ability to pay, no matter your nationality. Granted, they only have to "stabilize" you, but if that includes heart surgery and staying for recovery they have to do it. If you can get your butt onto US soil and get someone to dial 911 for an ambulance, you're golden.

There are food stamps for the poor. There are lots of charities with places to sleep.

One of the TV networks ran an expose' of some beggar on the street with a cardboard sign. They followed him. He walked a couple of blocks, got into a nice car and drove to a nice home. They rang the doorbell and he talked to them. He flat out admitted that he could simply make more money with that sign that he could with a job.

I don't see how I'll ever be broke, but I don't trust the Western economies, the printing of money and therefore the value of money. I don't trust the Thai government for certain. I just don't know the future for certain, so just for me I want that fallback plan.

• Like 1

Well Id hate to find work in Submaniacs avatar position!.....biggrin.png
  • Like 1

I'm not so sure. For me the US is my fallback position. For anyone 65 or older there is medicare, and for the poor there is medicaid. It remains to be seen what "Obamacare" will be. I plan to always "maintain a residence" in the US and keep my Medicare Advantage in force. It costs me just $125 per month for full coverage including prescription meds. If I'm not too sick to fly, I'm heading home if it comes to that.

No hospital in the US can refuse care due to a lack of ability to pay, no matter your nationality. Granted, they only have to "stabilize" you, but if that includes heart surgery and staying for recovery they have to do it. If you can get your butt onto US soil and get someone to dial 911 for an ambulance, you're golden.

There are food stamps for the poor. There are lots of charities with places to sleep.

One of the TV networks ran an expose' of some beggar on the street with a cardboard sign. They followed him. He walked a couple of blocks, got into a nice car and drove to a nice home. They rang the doorbell and he talked to them. He flat out admitted that he could simply make more money with that sign that he could with a job.

I don't see how I'll ever be broke, but I don't trust the Western economies, the printing of money and therefore the value of money. I don't trust the Thai government for certain. I just don't know the future for certain, so just for me I want that fallback plan.

I still find it hard to believe America doesnt have free healthcare for all. Pretty crappy me thinks.

Ok back to the topic, easy, off to the temple with my newly shaved head or start begging on the streets Ive heard that pays well or even busking perhaps. Good buskers are on a few thousand baht a day.

Edited by krisb

You could become a monk if things really get tough.

I hear they give out food for people who is so poor they cannot eat.

Dont know myself but maybe possible to find a temple to live and study for free in some place.

If not, find a nice temple near some quiet bushland..buy a tent and become part time monk thumbsup.gif

Any other possibilities.

It would depend a lot on the individual skills of the bum.

Are we still talking gigalos here ?

Hypothetical scenario which i'm sure many members have given thought to in light of the strong Baht and the recession.

You came to Thailand solvent cutting all links with your past and gave it your best shot, but through circumstances beyond your control you are now on the bones of your arse without a baht to your name, clothes on your back and no friends or family to call on for help.

What would you do???

Hypothetical scenario - Really, is this not a "real world" scenario?

Someone who could not make it at home come to Thailand and get his bones of his arse exposed.

Then he blames Thailand for his predicament!

Should Thailand be accommodative of all failures?

Home (your native country) is where you belong!

It is a scary thought. Best not to burn all those bridges and keep a bit in reserve. If one is in a relationship with a Thai, they would hopefully take care of you as a family member..my Mrs is under instructions never to feed me balaat when I'm senile or old or I will come back and haunt her.

My thoughts are that "retirement "is , in my case anyway , is always going to involve earning a bit by work/business for the rest of my life as I hate depending on anyone or anything. What I am doing in Thailand is getting the staples sorted so that we are self sufficient should the need to be arise. Cash is always needed of course , so an avenue to earning needs to be kept open.

Chittychangchang...when are we going to see you up in Phetchabun? PM me if your coming up here, cheers,

PP

• Like 1

Any other possibilities.

so, you reckon boiler room jobs are available at the drop of a hat for any vague waster out there?

maybe 10 years ago, i suspect it isn't that easy anymore, folks i knew from that era are either minted, dead, or gone

And good riddance too!

What would you do???

Hypothetical scenario - Really, is this not a "real world" scenario?

Someone who could not make it at home come to Thailand and get his bones of his arse exposed.

Then he blames Thailand for his predicament!

Should Thailand be accommodative of all failures?

Home (your native country) is where you belong!

You sir are the winner for today of the post displaying the most ignorance and mis-comprehension of the discussion you are attempting to contribute to. Please turn off your computer and find something else to do where you don't look quite so stupid.

Thank you for been the judge, Sir!

Each has his/her way of "comprehension" and the definition of stupidity is always related to the train of thinking of the accuser.

wai.gif

Become a drug mule while hoping and praying you're not the patsy the traffickers have set up to take the fall while the other mules get through customs.

Seriously though, while this hypothetical catastrophe has yet to befall me after 5 years and counting, in the event that it did, I guess I'd have to head home to England, put on a suit every day and run with the rest of the rats through the London Underground to my white collar cubicle.

Actually, being a drug mule doesn't sound so bad compared to that. laugh.png

Become a drug mule while hoping and praying you're not the patsy the traffickers have set up to take the fall while the other mules get through customs.

Seriously though, while this hypothetical catastrophe has yet to befall me after 5 years and counting, in the event that it did, I guess I'd have to head home to England, put on a suit every day and run with the rest of the rats through the London Underground to my white collar cubicle.

Actually, being a drug mule doesn't sound so bad compared to that. laugh.png

Haha. I do know a guy who about 30 years ago used a rented private plan to make just two trips from Mexico to the US with full loads of MJ. He landed in the desert, off loaded to people waiting for him, and then flew home. He got lucky, got away with it, and retired handsomely from just two trips. He said he delivered well over 1/2 ton in those 2 trips - about 600 pounds per trip.

Me? I wouldn't risk prison in the US, much less in Thailand or wherever those drugs were coming from for all the money in the world. I'm a pilot and I was "invited" to do it too. No thanks. At least my friend was smart enough to quit after 2 trips. Most people aren't and get caught. sad.png

this already happened to the infamous bangkok homeless brit who lived at soi 7/1 sukhumvit subway for a while. search out that thread, it's quite a saga. he started out as an english teacher, became homeless and still taught english from time to time. he drank changs every night that he bought or stole and slept in the chair outside the subway sandwich place for more than a year. he'd steal books and other things to sell. he eventually got caught stealing for the umpteenth time at an emporium shop and story stops there. he had been in jail prior and court released him in spite of being on multi-year overstay.

I don't know if that was the same guy I saw yesterday, cuts on his legs staggering over one of the overpasses. It was around soi 7 and the Thais that had never seen him before looked quite shocked. Then again it is Sukhumvit so he could have just got off the plane :)

I never burn bridges back home ie have a property there and always have enough money to at the very least return and live for awhile. If I got down to my last money, having only enough for a plane ticket with no work, I would be off home, once you are in that situation I can imagine it being very hard to get out of.

• Like 1