Thailand Records 22.3M Visitor Arrivals In 2012; Targets 24.5M In 2013

webfact

Not 100% of expats need to do border runs every three months! 1,000,000 of 22,000,000 is only 2.2% where do you equate the other 1.8% - 2.8%

2.2 million is 10% of 22million so what would 1 million be? perhaps half of 10%?

Sorry your correct about 2.2 mil but like i said not 100% of expats do border runs every 3 months. Your an expat, How many border runs do you do each year ?

i never said all do, i said some do, and those with TR visa do something like 6, and then those who also travel for business, plus the 15 day visa runners.

I do not do any, because i am on extension, so only need to report, but have left the country twice last year

for that reason your X4 is less exact than you stated

! The expat factor dosn't really have a significant facter in the equation!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, those with TR visa, how many runs they do per year?

15 days border runs?

Rest assured no matter how hard you try, those numbers are fake, if not fake-not calculated correctly because it's just a total of everyone and everything, ie the same person is counted up to whatever many times, those in transit and thousands crossing over from Lao, Burma and Cambodia just for the markets daily

15 days border runs?

Rest assured no matter how hard you try, those numbers are fake, if not fake-not calculated correctly because it's just a total of everyone and everything, ie the same person is counted up to whatever many times, those in transit and thousands crossing over from Lao, Burma and Cambodia just for the markets daily

I'm not trying hard to do anything! The figures are calculated on arrival cards at airports and border crossings! Burmese, Cambodian and Lao people use travel permits to do business between the various countries and are not counted in the tourist arrivals! A great majority of expats are like yourself and do not do border runs and the majority of tourists do not exit and reenter the Kingdom on 15 day visa's! the % will be very low if not minute. And can you show me where the numbers are fake? Not just you saying it, Some document or artical, Theosis, News artical?

15 days border runs?

I'm not trying hard to do anything! The figures are calculated on arrival cards at airports and border crossings! Burmese, Cambodian and Lao people use travel permits to do business between the various countries and are not counted in the tourist arrivals! A great majority of expats are like yourself and do not do border runs and the majority of tourists do not exit and reenter the Kingdom on 15 day visa's! the % will be very low if not minute. And can you show me where the numbers are fake? Not just you saying it, Some document or artical, Theosis, News artical?

Can you show me what exactly they count? not what you and i think but actual procedure manual?

What do you mean the 15 day visa runners do not exit and reenter, of course they do and use the very same cards, just as i am sure the neighbors use the cards entering and leaving

Now you want proof that the numbers are fake, well for starters the whole world is in recession,and tourism is on decline everywhere due to lack of funds, and yet Thailand is on the rise, yes you can argue the Chinese and Russians, but i can assure 98% of Russians hardly have enough money to buy food let alone travel for a holiday overseas, just as Chinese

15 days border runs?

you sure they are ONLY counting arrival cards ??????Do you believe also that bordering country folk all have business permits Ha Ha,

A great majority of ex pats do NOT do border runs YOU SAID, or apply for Visas--I think you ought to look every day at the Thai/Con in Laos, and thats apart from Nong Khai, So what are all the other borders dotted around Thailand.

Ask a few Visa run bus services ????? So instead of show me the numbers are fake------ You prove that they are true and give us a split on the types of entries, Impossible isn't it ???? it's you either want to believe OR you keep an open mind on the subject, Why not question the figures, because of the B/S thats given out every day---most DO doubt

Edited by ginjag

Can you show me what exactly they count? not what you and i think but actual procedure manual?

What do you mean the 15 day visa runners do not exit and reenter, of course they do and use the very same cards, just as i am sure the neighbors use the cards entering and leaving

Now you want proof that the numbers are fake, well for starters the whole world is in recession,and tourism is on decline everywhere due to lack of funds, and yet Thailand is on the rise, yes you can argue the Chinese and Russians, but i can assure 98% of Russians hardly have enough money to buy food let alone travel for a holiday overseas, just as Chinese

what do you mean 15 day visa runners do not exit and reenter,

I did not say that! I said "the majority of tourists do not exit and reenter the Kingdom on 15 day visa's!" and Neighbours, ie Cambodia, Burma, Lao use entry permits same as brothers of my wife use to travel to those countries doing their business!

You and gingang state the figures are fake! I ask for something other than your words, Something written somewhere to back up your allegations. And your answer is to tell me give you proof? I agree that the number of arrivals would be close to the 22,000,000 stated as arrivals are calcuted on arrival cards. You are the one who says it is fake and even give stats about Russians and Chinese

yes you can argue the Chinese and Russians, but i can assure 98% of Russians hardly have enough money to buy food let alone travel for a holiday overseas, just as Chinese
Back up your own words! Don't shuffle the deck.thumbsup.gif

I did not say that! I said "the majority of tourists do not exit and reenter the Kingdom on 15 day visa's!" and Neighbours, ie Cambodia, Burma, Lao use entry permits same as brothers of my wife use to travel to those countries doing their business!

You and gingang state the figures are fake! I ask for something other than your words, Something written somewhere to back up your allegations. And your answer is to tell me give you proof? I agree that the number of arrivals would be close to the 22,000,000 stated as arrivals are calcuted on arrival cards. You are the one who says it is fake and even give stats about Russians and Chinese

yes you can argue the Chinese and Russians, but i can assure 98% of Russians hardly have enough money to buy food let alone travel for a holiday overseas, just as Chinese

So no official link to how numbers are calculated?

Going off topic, but since you asked. 26% of Russians live below poverty line, which does not mean the rest 74% are rich.

Also note that 26% is quoted by the president, which means the numbers are double if not triple.

Same goes for Chinese, unless of course you want to argue that majority chinese are rich by now.

Clearly there is no way to prove the numbers are fake without an admission from the TAT,which will never come, in which case one just has to use common sense and think rationally.

1. The world is in recession, people loosing jobs, houses and eveyrthing else they owned

2. Currency exchange is one of the worsts its ever been

3. Prices in Thailand rising

4. TAT always meets its targets

5. Hotels, bars, shops empty for most of the year, besides the high season

6. Airplanes are empty(as i posted earlier, i flew back from Australia on 11 January and the aircraft was half empty)

7. Condo's are being delayed in being completed

Analyze all of the above plus add a few of your own and you can make up your own mind.

Surely you can continue with your blind belief, but thats entirely up to you

Con/Distorted would be a better word, I gave other examples --in fact many--you cannot answer, only asking other people to prove the numbers are Fake, if you believe them to be true, so be it.

I gave you just one border post at Nong Khai, and its numbers doing border runs, and to add the big money spinner at the Thai consulate, 300 a day applications at 2,000 bht a time, ??? any comment, as I say this is only one inlet outlet. If The truth be known and backed up with splits on entries. Sorry to dissappoint you for not agreeing with the numbers and how they are counted.

6. Airplanes are empty(as i posted earlier, i flew back from Australia on 11 January and the aircraft was half empty)

your post is all opinion based and is only in relation to your life. Other posters might visit other cities and shopping areas and notice that they are more crowded.

Personally, on my flight into Thailand there was one empty seat, and on my flight out of Thailand, every seat was full. Boeing 747 each way.

Lemoncake

So no official link to how numbers are calculated?

Going off topic, but since you asked. 26% of Russians live below poverty line, which does not mean the rest 74% are rich.

Also note that 26% is quoted by the president, which means the numbers are double if not triple.

Same goes for Chinese, unless of course you want to argue that majority chinese are rich by now.

Clearly there is no way to prove the numbers are fake without an admission from the TAT,which will never come, in which case one just has to use common sense and think rationally.

1. The world is in recession, people loosing jobs, houses and eveyrthing else they owned

2. Currency exchange is one of the worsts its ever been

3. Prices in Thailand rising

4. TAT always meets its targets

5. Hotels, bars, shops empty for most of the year, besides the high season

7. Condo's are being delayed in being completed

Analyze all of the above plus add a few of your own and you can make up your own mind.

Surely you can continue with your blind belief, but thats entirely up to you

Ginjag

Con/Distorted would be a better word, I gave other examples --in fact many--you cannot answer, only asking other people to prove the numbers are Fake, if you believe them to be true, so be it.

I gave you just one border post at Nong Khai, and its numbers doing border runs, and to add the big money spinner at the Thai consulate, 300 a day applications at 2,000 bht a time, ??? any comment, as I say this is only one inlet outlet. If The truth be known and backed up with splits on entries. Sorry to dissappoint you for not agreeing with the numbers and how they are counted.

The way yourself and some other posters including Lemoncake are trying to make it sound that the expats doing border runs are the backbone of the figures. Having one day at Nong Khai dosn't give you a big picture of the other 364 days of the year. Strange conversation with yourself and Lemoncake ! you both make allegations about how the numbers are fake and give stats of your own makings then tell me I need to prove what you both alledge is incorrect. The onus is usually on the person making allegations or stating facts to give proof

your post is all opinion based and is only in relation to your life. Other posters might visit other cities and shopping areas and notice that they are more crowded.

Personally, on my flight into Thailand there was one empty seat, and on my flight out of Thailand, every seat was full. Boeing 747 each way.

well sherlock, i can only comment on my observation, i am yet to posses powers to comment on yours.

i did say when i flew, the date and direction, do you have a problem with that observation? while yours sounds like load of crap, did you walk around the airplane and found ONLY 1 empty sit?

Over 15 years i have watched the #'s of tourists visiting going up. Word of mouth and all the TV and movies that showcase Thailand around the world..

Now i am seeing a much greater number of tourists staying permanently, rather than bringing their new loves home, they are settling here.

What does it mean??

it means that its cheaper to stay here then to bring the loved one back, not to mention less chance of being fleeced by the loved one here than back home

Lemoncake, we agree!!! That's exactly what it means. Anybody who brings a 'loved one' to Australia, or one with a similar Family Law Act should be certified as insane. There are many stories of a 'loved one' spending a couple of years copping it from a guy three times her age, then dragging him through the FLC here, and retiring to country Thailand a relative millionaire. Let me say it slowly. Anybody who brings a foreign girl to Australia is NUTS!!

Edited by F4UCorsair

It would be interesting to see statistics on nights spent in Hotels. This is a better way to judge.

From what many people say, as well from what I see, I'd say numbers are down.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Again I see your defence is attack with insults! Maybe you are smarter than myself ? I have given reasons why i think the figures would be close to the mark. You are the one saying that the figures are false, Fake, Fudged. Giving stats that the Russion and Chinese tourists are just poor people who do not spend any money and that the Expats doing all these border runs are the reason that the figures are so high. Really do you think that expats like yourself contribute that much to the Thai economy ?? I would say it is insignificant to the overall economy and the government does not even blink with the figures about expats. Why dont you give some reasonable, Even if not hard facts to support your claims! Not figures you just conjure in your mind but something that you can argue with that can be checked and then you really do have a debate

AGAIN, if you unable to hold a debate-do not debate!

there are 2 different people, making different posts and points, address each one individually instead of again posting the same rubbish.

your reasoning is simply foolish because you are basing it again on the figures provided by the same TAT.

Simple version Lemoncake. The figurers are calculated on arrival cards from all over the country from all entry points around the country (And do not include neighbours crossing the border on a daily basis to do business as they use a travel card) ! Not just Suvarnabhumi Airport where you happen to be on a plane that was not full on that particular day! I combined yours and Ginjag comments as you both had similliar comments! Sorry if that upset you :( I didn't know there were rules stating that was offensive to some. Your statements arguing that expats and tourists doing border runs does not stand up! Most expats LIVING in Thailand like yourself do not do border runs! And most tourist do not skip over the border whislt they are on hollidays! And also like i have stated 8 out of approxamately 190 countries make up nearly half the entries ( even the USA and Aus are not included and both countries have a significant expat population ) Calling what I have said is rubbish, foolish, Maybe it will make me smarter ? Is a childish attemp at debate! Again you have stated that the figures are fake, False. It's up to yourself to prove where and why and how not just ramble on with a beleif that you have conjured up in your mind And give a reason why the TAT need to falsify these figures. I have been pretty consistant with what I have said. Yourself have only attempted to be just argumentative! wai.gif

Again I see your defence is attack with insults! Maybe you are smarter than myself ? I have given reasons why i think the figures would be close to the mark. You are the one saying that the figures are false, Fake, Fudged. Giving stats that the Russion and Chinese tourists are just poor people who do not spend any money and that the Expats doing all these border runs are the reason that the figures are so high. Really do you think that expats like yourself contribute that much to the Thai economy ?? I would say it is insignificant to the overall economy and the government does not even blink with the figures about expats. Why dont you give some reasonable, Even if not hard facts to support your claims! Not figures you just conjure in your mind but something that you can argue with that can be checked and then you really do have a debate

there are 2 different people, making different posts and points, address each one individually instead of again posting the same rubbish.

your reasoning is simply foolish because you are basing it again on the figures provided by the same TAT.

Simple version Lemoncake. The figurers are calculated on arrival cards from all over the country from all entry points around the country (And do not include neighbours crossing the border on a daily basis to do business as they use a travel card) ! Not just Suvarnabhumi Airport where you happen to be on a plane that was not full on that particular day! I combined yours and Ginjag comments as you both had similliar comments! Sorry if that upset you :( I didn't know there were rules stating that was offensive to some. Your statements arguing that expats and tourists doing border runs does not stand up! Most expats LIVING in Thailand like yourself do not do border runs! And most tourist do not skip over the border whislt they are on hollidays! And also like i have stated 8 out of approxamately 190 countries make up nearly half the entries ( even the USA and Aus are not included and both countries have a significant expat population ) Calling what I have said is rubbish, foolish, Maybe it will make me smarter ? Is a childish attemp at debate! Again you have stated that the figures are fake, False. It's up to yourself to prove where and why and how not just ramble on with a beleif that you have conjured up in your mind And give a reason why the TAT need to falsify these figures. I have been pretty consistant with what I have said. Yourself have only attempted to be just argumentative! wai.gif

Let me make it even more simple for you .

I asked you already 3 times to provide link or manual on how TAT counts, all 3 times you either ignored it, diverted or brought up other irrelevant points.

So to support your claim please provide official guide on how numbers are calculated.

tourismEnd2012.gif

Does seem a bit odd the last few years the numbers went through the roof, even though major political turmoil and a major flooding event. Not to mention a good part of the world being in a recession.

Edited by dcutman
  • Like 1

tourismEnd2012.gif

I expect next year's chart to read 25 million and " Alien invaders destroy the eastern seaboard with high powered lasers from their mothership as Godzilla wreaks havoc in downtown Bangkok and the dead rise from their graves and begin to eat the living in Chiang Mai and Phuket"

• Like 2

tourismEnd2012.gif

I expect next year's chart to read 25 million and " Alien invaders destroy the eastern seaboard with high powered lasers from their mothership as Godzilla wreaks havoc in downtown Bangkok and the dead rise from their graves and begin to eat the living in Chiang Mai and Phuket"

you forgot Anaconda appearing for a walk down at the beach at 4amtongue.png

• Like 1

Simple version Lemoncake. The figurers are calculated on arrival cards from all over the country from all entry points around the country (And do not include neighbours crossing the border on a daily basis to do business as they use a travel card) ! Not just Suvarnabhumi Airport where you happen to be on a plane that was not full on that particular day! I combined yours and Ginjag comments as you both had similliar comments! Sorry if that upset you sad.png I didn't know there were rules stating that was offensive to some. Your statements arguing that expats and tourists doing border runs does not stand up! Most expats LIVING in Thailand like yourself do not do border runs! And most tourist do not skip over the border whislt they are on hollidays! And also like i have stated 8 out of approxamately 190 countries make up nearly half the entries ( even the USA and Aus are not included and both countries have a significant expat population ) Calling what I have said is rubbish, foolish, Maybe it will make me smarter ? Is a childish attemp at debate! Again you have stated that the figures are fake, False. It's up to yourself to prove where and why and how not just ramble on with a beleif that you have conjured up in your mind And give a reason why the TAT need to falsify these figures. I have been pretty consistant with what I have said. Yourself have only attempted to be just argumentative! wai.gif

I asked you already 3 times to provide link or manual on how TAT counts, all 3 times you either ignored it, diverted or brought up other irrelevant points.

So to support your claim please provide official guide on how numbers are calculated.

Can you supply anything to support your claims!! I havn't claimed anything ! Just agreed with the figures! Is that simple enough for you. Stop trying to get me to disprove your claims mate. It's your job to prove what you say! Or is it that you just ramble on with assertions, Figures you imagine in your mind and cannot back up what you claim? Boring conversation with a person that acts like a spoilt child! I'm out

Can you supply anything to support your claims!! I havn't claimed anything ! Just agreed with the figures! Is that simple enough for you. Stop trying to get me to disprove your claims mate. It's your job to prove what you say! Or is it that you just ramble on with assertions, Figures you imagine in your mind and cannot back up what you claim? Boring conversation with a person that acts like a spoilt child! I'm out

so yet another diversionrolleyes.gif , not tired yet?whistling.gif

I have given you simple reasoning in a point form including simple maths, at which you by the way failed.

Another poster gave you live accounts of the facts

Both of us asked you by now 5 times at least to provide any evidence or anything really to support your claim that the numbers of correct and all you come back now with is "i have not claimed anything"?

Well you have, you claimed the numbers are correct, so please provide evidence to support your claimwhistling.gif

You even tried to mix up the money being spent into the thread, which was totally irrelevant, so now stop dodging, but either provide solid or any evidence or stop replying just for the sake of trolling

Seems the TAT does distort the numbers a bit. At least in this demographic.

True number of Medical Tourists in Thailand

Through acknowledging that most foreign patient seeking medical treatment in Thailand are not so called fly-ins, deliberitely coming to Thailand with the main purpose of a surgery, wellness treatment or dental care, the previous numbers of medical tourists can be vastly reduced. The former statistics deriving from the Tourism Authority of Thailand of around 1.5 million medical tourists flocking Thailand each year shows that the true number might be closer to 600,000 medical tourists in Thailand for 2011, and with an estimation of about 673,000 medical tourists for 2012.

http://www.novasans.com/blog/2012/08/new-figures-numbers-for-medical-tourism-industry-in-thailand/

Edited by dcutman

Through acknowledging that most foreign patient seeking medical treatment in Thailand are not so called fly-ins, deliberitely coming to Thailand with the main purpose of a surgery, wellness treatment or dental care, the previous numbers of medical tourists can be vastly reduced. The former statistics deriving from the Tourism Authority of Thailand of around 1.5 million medical tourists flocking Thailand each year shows that the true number might be closer to 600,000 medical tourists in Thailand for 2011, and with an estimation of about 673,000 medical tourists for 2012.

so that would mean that TAT doubled the actual number, which in turn makes you question if the quoted 22 million is also double of what the actual numbers are.

so that would mean that TAT doubled the actual number, which in turn makes you question if the quoted 22 million is also double of what the actual numbers are.

One could make that assumption I suppose.

IMHO I believe these numbers have inreased so dramatically in the last few years, is because of who they count as tourists. BKK is a major travel hub for this region, many travelers do not continue on to there destination the same day or have an 8 to 10 hour layover. Many I would guess would check through immigration and either get a hotel or take a few hour tour, witch by the way many airlines arrange for you and is included in the air fair. Either way they need to fill out the arrival/departure card. Also I would not doubt they fudge the numbers as well in one way or another.

That is my theory anyway.

IMHO I believe these numbers have inreased so dramatically in the last few years, is because of who they count as tourists. BKK is a major travel hub for this region, many travelers do not continue on to there destination the same day or have an 8 to 10 hour layover. Many I would guess would check through immigration and either get a hotel or take a few hour tour, witch by the way many airlines arrange for you and is included in the air fair. Either way they need to fill out the arrival/departure card. Also I would not doubt they fudge the numbers as well in one way or another.

i agree with your theory. the coincidental increase of numbers to Thailand happens to take place at the same time as neighboring countries experience huge tourist number increases.

I also believe there are more people doing the visa runs, as it use to be 30 days, and now 15 days, plus TAT fudges some 10% or so.

Edited by lemoncake

i agree with your theory. the coincidental increase of numbers to Thailand happens to take place at the same time as neighboring countries experience huge tourist number increases.

I also believe there are more people doing the visa runs, as it use to be 30 days, and now 15 days, plus TAT fudges some 10% or so.

To add to my theory, and being a regional hub, many travelers that have only plans of visiting our neighboring countries will save the money, and go overland from bkk to Lao, Cambodia or Myanmar. that would account for a huge number, and are being counted as tourist to Thailand.

I myself only need to report, but almost everybody I know does visa runs and many of those are running every 15 days.

Well AoT reported just over 18.6 million Disembarkations through the international airports for 2012 and some 1.4 million Transit [i'm assuming that the differential is transit never leaves the airport and Disembarkation does but could be just for one night]. Now how many of those are tourists [yes I know the headline is visitors, but the spin is tourists isn't it]? How many land border [plus sea I guess] crossing tourists do we need/have to get to the TAT figures?

Regards

Airports are BKK, DMK, CNX, HDY, HKT, and CEI

Edited by A_Traveller