Social Security Website Usa

zippydedodah

the SSA has forced everyone to create new passwords and logins... and the site keeps timing out for me.

Been trying for a couple of days, on and off and not able to create new signin and access my info.

anyone else able to login?

This has been an ongoing problem for years. you may, or may not, be able to connect with the SSA,gov home page, but as soon as you try to connect to a linked https: (secure) page it times out or is blocked. Apparently this is a Thai Government thing. A couple years ago the U.S. Embassy said they would try and remedy this situation, but still haven't.

I connect using a VPN connection through a free program called Hideman. It makes it appear as though I am connecting from within the USA. This however is a topic in itself. I also have sometimes been able to connect from a different ISP, I use 3BB, or another location.

As for what is available, almost all SSA services are available. I was able to signup for my pension with no problem at all. After filling out the application form and waiting a couple days for a return email, I had to make one phone call to a number they provided. Absolutely trouble free, and the SSA Representative couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. She even comes in to work at 6AM EST to make it more convenient for her overseas customers, she said.

I just tried and was unable to connect to other than the home page until I turned on the VPN, I was then able to reach the new signin and new password page.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

Yes good luck. Many years ago had dealings with them. I had called them and gone in to talk with them and all I could get was the book says and nothing we can do about it. When I moved over here I was able to communicate with them by e mail of course to no good end. What it was is they told me the amount of my pension and I filed and received about 65% of it. There comment was the book say's ...................Just made me so happy. Like talking to a telephone pole. But they were nice in there ignorance. It turned out there was an option but you had to know it they were not going to tell you but they were nice to me.

Be sure you have your ducks in a row when dealing with them.

Edited by hellodolly

Be sure you have your dicks in a row when dealing with them.

Was wondering how this was Thailand related until this bit.

Is this a new op available here? Turning them inside our seems easy when compared to creating a new one. I might like to have another, just in case the better half gets a bit angry.

• Like 2

Well, Zippy, like the other members, I also had to use a VPN to get to the sign in page using True cable broadband. They do specify that you must have a US address to use this online system, so that kinda leaves me out.

New Users

You must be able to verify some information about yourself and:

Have a valid E-mail address,

Have a Social Security number,

Have a U.S. mailing address, and

Be at least 18 years of age.

I was warned a number of years ago not to bother contacting Baltimore as they know next to nothing about citizens living abroad. All my contacts have been with Manila, who has been very helpful.

Higgy

Hey Higgy:

Yes, i can jump thru all their hoops and last year i just logged in and pulled up my benefits statement and got my details for my tax return. Otherwise, i might wait 2 months for their mail to reach me here in thailand.

as i mentioned i already had an acct created there LAST year, and the official notice now says I need to create another one. I can get to the https page that says create/login here...but that is when the timeout occurs.

well, just keep trying and see which happens first... the mail or the website login

I live in CM and was able to setup my account last year. I don't recall if they asked for my mailing address. I know I use my Thai address when filing my 1040. I just logged into my SS account but see no option to see my mailing address or even change it. I checked my SS statement that I downloaded which looks just like the mailed version but it also didn't include my address. If I needed a US address, I would have used my brother's.

well, didn't you have to create a new login?

anyways, i was able to use spotify and get into create a new acct,,,, but it did not like me (my info, for some reason - it "verifies" and i don't verify in some area, i guess)... so now i am locked out for 24 hrs....

again...did you just use your login/pass from last year? i did not even try that...

btw... vtunnel and ultrasurf did not allow me access

http://manila.usembassy.gov/us-agencies2/the-social-security-administration-division.html

DARRIN K. MORGAN, Regional Federal Benefits Officer

Social Security Administration

United States Embassy

1201 Roxas Blvd., Ermita

0930 Manila, Philippines

Contact Information:

Phone: (632) 301-2000 ext. 9

Fax: (632) 708-9723 and (632) 708-9714

E-mail: [email protected]

• Like 1

thanks for the philippines suggesion, but they won't give info over phone or email... not what i need anyways... i have been very successful in my communications with them on other matters (like just getting my address straight) and such, but i don't think they will have my tax statements.

I have been having a similar problem. I need to find out how many more quarters I need to qualify for SS and Medicare and couldn't register online to get the report. Tried an online proxy with no luck. Said I need Java enabled. I'll try the VPN. Thanks!

Zip,

When moving to a new Thai address last year about this time, my1099 seemed to be lost. Contacted Manila by email, and they not only snail-mailed me a new one, but emailed the info, too (in a different format, if I remember). Eventually the original 1099 for tax purposes also showed up. Very happy am I with Manila.

Guys,

Would be nice if, upon receivng your 1099 in Chiang Maiai each year, for the first ones with success, to post the news about the receipt here. Then those of us who have not gotten it will know to prompt Manila again. No problem with Manila, and maybe not with the Thai post office either; perhaps with the procedure used by my apartment complex.

I dunno...I just read this thread a few minutes ago, and signed up for the new "my Social Security"

They run the verification through Experian, so use your last address in US.

They ask questions to verify- be aware the answer might be "none of the above"

I established a new online acct- took about 5 minutes total

Be sure you have your dicks in a row when dealing with them.

Was wondering how this was Thailand related until this bit.

Is this a new op available here? Turning them inside our seems easy when compared to creating a new one. I might like to have another, just in case the better half gets a bit angry.

You guys are quick that was only there for a minute before I cought it and changed it. I did consider butting the mistake down as an add on. Well done lads.

I have been having a similar problem. I need to find out how many more quarters I need to qualify for SS and Medicare and couldn't register online to get the report. Tried an online proxy with no luck. Said I need Java enabled. I'll try the VPN. Thanks!

40 quarters for SS can't say for medicare. I know that one, one of my quarters only showed a income of $5

40 quarters for SS can't say for medicare. I know that one, one of my quarters only showed a income of $5

What I wrote was confusing. I know how many quarters are required. I don't know how many I have been credited. Only way to find out now is online.

I've been off the grid most of my life! :)

Edited by ricklev

I dunno...I just read this thread a few minutes ago, and signed up for the new "my Social Security"

They run the verification through Experian, so use your last address in US.

They ask questions to verify- be aware the answer might be "none of the above"

I established a new online acct- took about 5 minutes total

wow..how do you know they run it thru Experian?

Mornin' Zippy

This morning I went right into the site, no VPN needed. Go figure.

What will we do with your information?

We use the information you give us to verify your identity. We verify the information you give us against our records. We also use Experian, an external authentication service provider, to help us verify your identity. Experian verifies the information you give us against their records. We do not share your Social Security number with Experian. Experian keeps your information only for the time period permitted by Federal laws, Regulations, or guidelines. We use Experian's fraud prevention services to protect you from identity theft.

When we make a verification request to establish your account, Experian may use information from your credit report to help verify your identity. As a result, you may see an entry called a “soft inquiry” on your Experian credit report. This will show an inquiry by the Social Security Administration with our address and the date of the request. Soft inquiries do not affect your credit score, and you do not incur any charges related to them. Soft inquiries are displayed in the version of the credit profile viewable only to consumers and are not reported to lenders. The soft inquiry will not appear on your credit report from Equifax or TransUnion, and will generally be removed from your Experian credit report after 25 months. Once you have registered for an online account, you will not generate additional soft inquiries by logging in to access our services.

• 1 month later...

Two months ago, I used a VPN (TunnelBear) to access and set up an account in the (new) My Social Security Account.
I now have more info on my account that I'll ever need!

Haven't tried to access this account without the VPN yet, but will do that soon.

I emailed SSA in Manila three times in the last three weeks asking about changing my address and still have not received a reply. Guess I'll have to call them.

i found that typically, Manila takes 3-4 weeks to respond to my emails... but they always do.

wow..how do you know they run it thru Experian?

Yep, And best to have a copy of your Experian credit report (free every 12 months), as they'll ask you something like, "what year did you get a credit card with USAA Savings?" Then, you'll have a multiple chose of 6 or so years. Heck, it had been several years ago when I got the card -- and I couldn't remember the exact year. So I flunked -- and was told to try again in a couple of days.

Next time, I had the Experian report in front of me -- and I needed it, as basically the same question came up again. The several other questions, like which of the above is a former phone number, were simpler (the phone number question was simple, as all choses had an area code I'd never heard of -- thus "none of the above"). Easy, anyway, before dementia sets in.

I emailed SSA in Manila three times in the last three weeks asking about changing my address and still have not received a reply. Guess I'll have to call them.

Had not thought about "asking" them; just gave them particulatrs of 2 addresses, in other words, "told" them, and in time, they confirmed. Have received repies to different situations in 24, 19, and 13 days. Good luck---I find them very helpful.