We All Have Seen The 7-11 Drinking But Whats With Friendship Supermarket Drinking

lemoncake

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope many people on this thread don't get nosebleeds on their lofty towers. These "I'm so much better than those other scummy people" threads say a lot more about the originators and followers than they do about the objects of the threads.

You can always start a social program for those less fortunate who feel the need to move to another country and be role models.

Of course there are also tourists who find it relaxing to fly few thousand miles to represent their country outside of 7-11.

There must be something very relaxing in doing that

Of course there are also tourists who find it relaxing to fly few thousand miles to represent their country outside of 7-11.

Again, just some sanctimonious farang's point of view. But for those who know how to live, 7 Eleven is an essential part of monger and Southeast Asian culture lol

A couple of months ago, 'nongkrong,' an Indonesian slang for 'hanging out,' made it to the New York Times after it’s mentioned in an article about how 7-Eleven conquered the national market. The Jakarta-based author, Sara Schonhardt, described nongkrong as the activity of "sitting, talking and generally doing nothing."

Hanging Out in Convenience Stores Is the New Cool in Jakarta

7 Eleven: Hong Kong's favorite brand

Edited by MongersSyndicate
  • Like 1

Again, just some sanctimonious farang's point of view. But for those who know how to live, 7 Eleven is an essential part of monger and Southeast Asian culture lol

A couple of months ago, 'nongkrong,' an Indonesian slang for 'hanging out,' made it to the New York Times after it’s mentioned in an article about how 7-Eleven conquered the national market. The Jakarta-based author, Sara Schonhardt, described nongkrong as the activity of "sitting, talking and generally doing nothing."

Hanging Out in Convenience Stores Is the New Cool in Jakarta

"Nongkrong" has even made it into the New York Times...

7 Eleven: Hong Kong's favorite brand

for those to know how to live? are you trying to be funny?

since when drinking cheap beer outside a convenience store became cool?

While you trying to convince yourself that a destitute or appearing like one by being cheap charlie is the new cool thing, rest assured the rest of the population does not think so.

Just the looks from the shoppers is enough of a shame not to do it.

Do not see any Thai's hanging out side friendship or 7-11 drinking the cheap beer, so i guess it may not be as cool as you like to believe.

And if one is "less fortunate" perhaps giving up drinking is a wise option

As I said, there are plenty of beach resorts in California, Italy, Malaysia and even in Thailand where all the mainstream rules and 'good manners' are followed to a fault. So if you don't like it, why would you precisely come to the very one place that is known the world over for being the headquarters of those who just don't give a shit? biggrin.png

Seems some people want to take advantage of the freedom and cheapness here, but without letting go of their good-white-boy's moralizing stances for a while.

Get over it and enjoy the trashiness. It's part of the scenery smile.png

sorry remind me again where and when you see locals drinking cheap beer at 7-11? so hence its not the norm, what makes you think its ok?

it is not ok to walk or ride around shirtless, yet no doubt you also think its cool.

Been going on for years, just more Westerners in Pattaya now, therefore more noticeable. Foodland is a reasonable location, you do not have to put up with boring BGs.

Yep, exchange rates and price increases have some expats watching their budgets more closely. And yeah, some guys already have a GF/wife, so they just want to meet and talk with friends.

Several new Cheap beer places, Katesiree on Soi Bukao and Beer & Coffee on Khatalo, offer low priced drinks and no bar girls. There are many stone table outside small Mom & Pop stores over here on the Dark Side and they seem to have many customers drinking there smile.png

I live on the Dark Side and wife tells me the guys at the Mom & Pop stores sometimes call out to her to join them when she is shopping, she doesn't. Interestingly sometimes their GF call out & ask my wife if she knows anyone interested in being introduced to their BF's friend/s. She says no, men drinking beer in the day, "low style"smile.png

yeap see it all over Thailand in the villages, still night or day up to the individual but more Thai daytime drinkers than farnags I would say. I went into Friendship the other day and it did not look appealing having all these guys hanging around boozing near the entrance. Edited by marstons

I, like anybody else, have some problems with some individuals; for me: those men walking with a nude upper body, those people(mostly Russian I assume) drinking their beer strolling in the streets, the countless English speaking people using the words f.ck and f.cking at least 3 times in one sentence, smoking people who have not any consideration for other people and start immediately to whining about their freedom if you dare to address them any remark..but :

"Tolerance is the price we pay for living in a free, pluralistic society"

and as mention before :

"L'enfer c'est les autres"

• Like 1

Aren't these men sitting outside smoking whilst the wife/gf does the shopping inside?

I agree that it is pretty stomach-churning.

One wonders how the wives/gf ever get used to the constant smell of booze and stale smoke.......it MUST be love. wink.png

............unless of course, they too smell of booze and stale smoke.

Edited by uptheos

There are also some really sad Brits that drink beer out of paper bags in the food hall at Central.

How low can you get. Deport them please and stop dragging our Brit reputation down. As a Brit I am ashamed to think people think all Brits are low lifes and live in the gutter!

Edited by Rimmer

I went into Friendship the other day and it did not look appealing having all these guys hanging around boozing near the entrance.

Looks appealing to me. Shows a certain freedom from nanny state rules and makes me glad I'm in Thailand.

ot

Why not just grab yourself a Chang, sit down with the guys, relax, and shoot the breeze for a while? Be good attitude adjustment, lose some of the rigidity and intolerance.

can always NOT be a cheap charlie and go have a drink IN THE BAR!, but if you can not afford it, either go back home get a job or stop drinking.

Reading your post, one might even start to believe that drinking outside food supermarket is something most people do back in home country or want to dorolleyes.gif

I went into Friendship the other day and it did not look appealing having all these guys hanging around boozing near the entrance.

Looks appealing to me. Shows a certain freedom from nanny state rules and makes me glad I'm in Thailand.

ot

Why not just grab yourself a Chang, sit down with the guys, relax, and shoot the breeze for a while? Be good attitude adjustment, lose some of the rigidity and intolerance.

can always NOT be a cheap charlie and go have a drink IN THE BAR!, but if you can not afford it, either go back home get a job or stop drinking.

Up 2 me, no? Fortunately, nobody appointed you in charge or cares what you think.

Reading your post, one might even start to believe that drinking outside food supermarket is something most people do back in home country or want to dorolleyes.gif

Nothing implied "most people." Pointless to speculate about the source of such exaggeration.

But some would want to do so, no doubt about it. Nanny state rules prevent them nowadays. Hence the sight here in Thailand seems odd--to farang.

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't see much thais sitting outside supermarkets or 7-11 drinking cheap beer. However almost every night I see at several of the motorcycle-taxi stands (near 7-11) there are several thais some looking like the taxibikeriders sitting and drinking sang-som (and some beer) . The moment when I see a westener outside supermarket with sang-som bottle in their hands then that is a step down from cheap beer. I sometimes sit outside 7-11 with a waterbottle much cheaper than any chang. Maybe I am a truly lowlife scum.

I could care less about the drinking . But all these smokers ghettos in front of all the supermarkets is disgusting

Like what is with these people who go to supermarkets to sit around in front smoking ??

I agree smoking is a disgusting addiction. But I try to cut them some slack. They are just too weak to quit. more than 90% say they want to stop, and no longer enjoy it.

disgusting addiction in whose opinion? smoking has been around for centuries.

Too weak you say?, have you smoked and tried to quit? while it does require some mental power it is a total change of life style, because your "best friend" is not longer there when you have a coffee or drink or food etc.

Why is it that for centuries smoking was not a problem and now the smoking nazi is making a big fuss? including your post

The quiting business has become a bigger business than smoking business. All the nicabates, nicarettes , gums, sprays, etc etc etc and all of it is very expansive.

Perhaps some are making just as much money in advocating how "disgusting" it is, if not more money.

You can try to argue with medical point of view of all the death related to smoking, but i can just as easily counter that with deaths related to alcohol, pollution, just cancer, stress etc etc etc

Sorry I did not see this post sooner. In answer to your question I smoked non filter Camel 11 years and non filter Pall Mall Red 9 years. That equals 20 years. I quit 27 years ago. It is an insidious addiction. I feel fortunate I was strong enough to quit. I have first hand knowledge of smoking up to 3 packs a day. Of waking up at 2:00 Am to have a cigarette, Of smoking my first cigarette of the day before my feet hit the floor in the morning. Anyone who in under the impression it is not an addiction is deluding themselves. Your " best friend" does contribute to heart disease and lung cancer.

I could care less about the drinking . But all these smokers ghettos in front of all the supermarkets is disgusting

Like what is with these people who go to supermarkets to sit around in front smoking ??

I agree smoking is a disgusting addiction. But I try to cut them some slack. They are just too weak to quit. more than 90% say they want to stop, and no longer enjoy it.

disgusting addiction in whose opinion? smoking has been around for centuries.

Too weak you say?, have you smoked and tried to quit? while it does require some mental power it is a total change of life style, because your "best friend" is not longer there when you have a coffee or drink or food etc.

Why is it that for centuries smoking was not a problem and now the smoking nazi is making a big fuss? including your post

The quiting business has become a bigger business than smoking business. All the nicabates, nicarettes , gums, sprays, etc etc etc and all of it is very expansive.

Perhaps some are making just as much money in advocating how "disgusting" it is, if not more money.

You can try to argue with medical point of view of all the death related to smoking, but i can just as easily counter that with deaths related to alcohol, pollution, just cancer, stress etc etc etc

Sorry I did not see this post sooner. In answer to your question I smoked non filter Camel 11 years and non filter Pall Mall Red 9 years. That equals 20 years. I quit 27 years ago. It is an insidious addiction. I feel fortunate I was strong enough to quit. I have first hand knowledge of smoking up to 3 packs a day. Of waking up at 2:00 Am to have a cigarette, Of smoking my first cigarette of the day before my feet hit the floor in the morning. Anyone who in under the impression it is not an addiction is deluding themselves. Your " best friend" does contribute to heart disease and lung cancer.

Only i never said it was NOT an addiction? the only comment i made in regards to addiction is being "disgusting"

Yes it may contribute to heart disease and lung cancer, but so can alcohol, too much caffeine, prescription drugs, strong sun, and list goes on.

Only i never said it was NOT an addiction? the only comment i made in regards to addiction is being "disgusting"

Yes it may contribute to heart disease and lung cancer, but so can alcohol, too much caffeine, prescription drugs, strong sun, and list goes on.

http://www.patient.c...g-The-Facts.htm

I might have a beer outside a 7-11 or a supermarket every now and then - but I'm not stupid enough to be a smoker.

Oh and by the way, BAT are a 64 Billion GBP company.

ot

Up 2 me, no? Fortunately, nobody appointed you in charge or cares what you think.

Nothing implied "most people." Pointless to speculate about the source of such exaggeration.

But some would want to do so, no doubt about it. Nanny state rules prevent them nowadays. Hence the sight here in Thailand seems odd--to farang.

yes it is up to you! if you want to be the representative of low life .

I'm always just representing myself, pal. I'm not much of a politician (as my posts here would attest). And far as I know, nobody's granted you the authority to appoint who's representing whom. Delusions of grandeur?

the only problem is your "desires" affect the image for everyone else who does not wish to be s show piece of low life

In your case, perhaps you'd better protect your insecurities about your image by NOT drinking outside 7/11. How's that?

The nanny state comments are becoming boring and old. There is such a thing as self respect and respect for others

I can see no relevance whatsoever to my self-respect. Nor would your opinions ever affect it in the slightest. But I agree with your second point in that I quite respect the freedom of others to drink outside 7/11s and Friendship, the commercial right of those businesses to provide the opportunity to do so, and the benevolence of the Thai government for not abrogating that freedom and right. Land Of Smiles! smile.png

Edited by JSixpack

why do not you have a drink outside immigration office? or may be a dental clinic? why limit yourself to just 7-11 or a supermarket?blink.png

With such an intellect, I'm surprised you can't figure this one out. Immigration and dental clinics don't sell beer. If they did and provided some seating outside then . . . heh. smile.png I'd quite like to have a beer while waiting on my yearly extension and still be able to hear my number coming up in the queue!

• Like 1

When I'm sitting in front of a supermarket either two things have happened.

I've travelled back in time to when I was 17.

Or it's seriously time to assess my life and what is happening in it.

Or you are rebelling against the nanny state, its certainly worth a trip to have $1 beer laugh.png