We All Have Seen The 7-11 Drinking But Whats With Friendship Supermarket Drinking

lemoncake

Ah! Right! So just because you've never seen something, it doesn't exist....? in spite of the fact that plenty of people posting here have seen Thais drinking on the streets?

You probably are living in a different Thailand to others....it sure sounds like it juding from your posts....

Right, so if urinating in the middle of the street is acceptable in some village because they do not have toilets or can not be bothered to find one, it must be acceptable in a developed city?

Good to see you have what is appropriate and what is not in check

You really are uptight aren't you!!! Or do you you just like an argument?? The old adage about arguing with some people, is like wrestling with a pig in mud,,,,,,sooner or later you'll realise the pig is enjoying it!!!whistling.gif

Nobody (apart from yourself) has tried to compare having a beer in public and outdoors (heaven forbid, shock, horror, imagine the embarassment it could bring on fellow foreigners) with urinating in the street!!!clap2.gif

What is the big deal with having a beer in public??? Jesus, have you seen half (or any) of the things that go on in this city??? It's not exactly Provence is it??

Who really cares, or finds it mildly important or annoying if some folks want to save a few Baht whilst having a chat over a beer or two outside a 7-11, Family Mart, Friendship, Foodland, or elsewhere for that matter, if that's what they enjoy, as long as they're not hurting anyone?? They aren't breaking the law are they??

The action itself is irrelevant, what is relevant is knowing what is appropriate.

It is bad enough being a foreigner in the eyes of Thai's and the crap they see. Adding drinking day time outside shopping mall or 7-11 store, really does not help the image.

You might not care, but i do! Being a yobo/redneck or whatever its called back in your home country is not exactly the respected or desired trait and i fail to see how its different here.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lao Khao now comes in red bull bottles?

35B a pop. Yah Dong as well.....

Don't say you never learn nothing on Thai Visa.....

Those yaa dong stalls are getting harder and harder to find these days, they used to be all over, here in Bkk the only place I see them now is in places like Prasamut Chedi or Prapadaeng.

The low kao up my way costs 25 per bottle, comes in M roi or Red Bull bottles, also available at 10 baht a shot, I seem to remember the shot glass is called a,bek, I hear the locals ask for bek neung.

Ah! Right! So just because you've never seen something, it doesn't exist....? in spite of the fact that plenty of people posting here have seen Thais drinking on the streets?

You probably are living in a different Thailand to others....it sure sounds like it juding from your posts....

Right, so if urinating in the middle of the street is acceptable in some village because they do not have toilets or can not be bothered to find one, it must be acceptable in a developed city?

You really are uptight aren't you!!! Or do you you just like an argument?? The old adage about arguing with some people, is like wrestling with a pig in mud,,,,,,sooner or later you'll realise the pig is enjoying it!!!whistling.gif

Nobody (apart from yourself) has tried to compare having a beer in public and outdoors (heaven forbid, shock, horror, imagine the embarassment it could bring on fellow foreigners) with urinating in the street!!!clap2.gif

What is the big deal with having a beer in public??? Jesus, have you seen half (or any) of the things that go on in this city??? It's not exactly Provence is it??

Who really cares, or finds it mildly important or annoying if some folks want to save a few Baht whilst having a chat over a beer or two outside a 7-11, Family Mart, Friendship, Foodland, or elsewhere for that matter, if that's what they enjoy, as long as they're not hurting anyone?? They aren't breaking the law are they??

They aren't breaking the law are they??

I believe they are, but it doesnt seem to be enforced.

The action itself is irrelevant, what is relevant is knowing what is appropriate.

And all except you know that drinking outside a 7/11 or Foodland is in fact appropriate in Thailand. Thais don't care, police don't care, businesses encourage it. Why not?

In all your posts and tiresome thread--which is a troll thread, really--you've never identified any problem except that YOU don't like it and are unhappy for some unspecified reason. So, move back to a nanny state.

It is bad enough being a foreigner in the eyes of Thai's and the crap they see. Adding drinking day time outside shopping mall or 7-11 store, really does not help the image.

But doesn't hurt it either. Sorry.

You might not care, but i do! Being a yobo/redneck or whatever its called back in your home country is not exactly the respected or desired trait and i fail to see how its different here.

A number of posters have already explained why it's different here. You're unable to comprehend. And we get that, and nobody cares what you fail to see or pretend to fail to see.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 2

And all except you know that drinking outside a 7/11 or Foodland is in fact appropriate in Thailand. Thais don't care, police don't care, businesses encourage it. Why not?

In all your posts and tiresome thread--which is a troll thread, really--you've never identified any problem except that YOU don't like it and are unhappy for some unspecified reason. So, move back to a nanny state.

But doesn't hurt it either. Sorry.

A number of posters have already explained why it's different here. You're unable to comprehend. And we get that, and nobody cares what you fail to see or pretend to fail to see.

does not hurt according to whom? you?

appropriate according to whom? you?

Seems a number of posters also expresses their opinion on how inappropriate it is, and yet you do not seem to understandrolleyes.gif

"Thais don't care, police don't care, businesses encourage it. Why not?"

I should add, probably 99% of farang here don't care either. We appreciate a freer (in many ways) society.

Many a Thai would love to sit there drinking as well if he had time and a farang were paying.

Seems a number of posters also expresses their opinion on how inappropriate it is, and yet you do not seem to understandrolleyes.gif

On the contrary, I quite understand your sanctimonious little opinion and hence expressed no incomprehension--unlike yourself.

But theirs, and yours, is merely a subjective opinion inherited from nanny state upbringings and Puritan influences. It lacks any justification, validity (except for yourselves--and so you may go leave LOS or avoid 7/11 and Friendship), or significance in this society in which we farang are mere outsiders.

Meanwhile, a couple of days ago I saw an old grey-haired farang couple sitting at a table outside Friendship each drinking a big Chang that he/she was free to enjoy there. Good for them. Cheers! tongue.png

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

Not looking for an argument, just interested, and to save me time searching, do you possibly have a link to this law?

I would say the action itself is very relevant to the topic, why else would you start a thread on it otherwise??

Yes, I have seen many locals not just drinking during the day, but absolutely hammered!! If you know anything about the Thais (in general) they prefer to go out very late at night, and normally carry on into the following day! Would you say it was worse to go out for a beer outside a 7-11 with your friends, and pay your way, or as has happened to me (and others) go out with Thai professionals and watch them skip rounds whilst ordering all sorts then disappear all together before settling (or even pretending to offer) settle a bill?

As for your yobo/redneck comment, I'll have you know that I'm employed in an engineering middle management position, which means it comes with middle management salary, needless to say, I don't worry about where I or other's choose to buy their bottled water!!

I suggest you get of your high horse (named Moral of course) and just live and let live. I promise you'll be happier! Peace brother!

Lets not forget the high rollers in town, a big Chang with a straw and go for a perv up and down WS.

Oh yes! I saw one while I was perving perambulating down Soi 6 the other day. Shades tipped back on his head, scoping the tarts languidly while sipping his CAN of Chang through a long straw. Dead hansum he was.

Something i just cant get use to here in TL. Drinking beer thru a straw! <deleted>???? its all foam! How can one drink that swill?

Some terribly sad individuals there already early morning...But they can be found allover Pattaya....But City Hall will turn it into a high class resort town anytime now...thumbsup.gif PF.

I know what you mean.

So see you there again tomorrow at 9AM? :D

Is it your turn or mine to buy the beer?

• Like 1

Not looking for an argument, just interested, and to save me time searching, do you possibly have a link to this law?

Sorry, not a lawyer, something to do with drinking in public places.

If you ever go to Khao Yai national park, just outside the enterance is a sign written in Thai that says, no alchol allowed, everyone ignores this law, same with other parks, I have never heard of the law being enforced.

Surprised Pattaya finest havent latched onto this yet.

was in TOPs last month and witnessed one OAP standing outside on the edge of the footpath quietly puking on to the road ....he then wanders back inside to the sitting area to continue drinking his Chang blink.png

... another day, see this guy coming out of the 7/11 at about 10 in the morning.. ...cracks open a can of chang and guzzles it down in one go...must have one hell of a hangover.biggrin.png

Edited by dec

If you think all Thais see crap when they see a foreigner, I'd say you're probably going off your own personal experiences of how Thais depect you yourself. I'd also say you know few Thais. Very few indeed.

Off the top of my head I can think of at least 6 places I'll pass on my way for a few ales this evening, where there will be Thais sitting around having a nice evening drink after a hard day's work.

One is a mangy old noodle stall, two are tables and steps outside convenience stores, the rest are merely convenient and pleasant places to shit and shoot the breeze with pals over a few beers/whiskeys.

In my experience, those who cry the loudest about people 'letting the image down' tend to be the worst offenders yet look for scapegoats in every shadow. Just look at those iffy fake Rotarian types which infest the Pattaya "Press" for evidence of this...

FYI as far as I can gather, drinking in public is only forbidden is certain specified zones such as public parks in Bangkok etc.

If you think all Thais see crap when they see a foreigner, I'd say you're probably going off your own personal experiences of how Thais depect you yourself. I'd also say you know few Thais. Very few indeed.

Off the top of my head I can think of at least 6 places I'll pass on my way for a few ales this evening, where there will be Thais sitting around having a nice evening drink after a hard day's work.

One is a mangy old noodle stall, two are tables and steps outside convenience stores, the rest are merely convenient and pleasant places to shit and shoot the breeze with pals over a few beers/whiskeys.

In my experience, those who cry the loudest about people 'letting the image down' tend to be the worst offenders yet look for scapegoats in every shadow. Just look at those iffy fake Rotarian types which infest the Pattaya "Press" for evidence of this...

FYI as far as I can gather, drinking in public is only forbidden is certain specified zones such as public parks in Bangkok etc.

Mate, may i suggest you spend few days with/amongst working(little educated) Thai's not taxi drivers, builders or bar girls/boys, and learn basic Thai, then you might learn what they think and speak about foreigners at 7-11, foreigners in the bars, foreigners walking around with females 1/2 the age, the ones who wait for 1 baht change and ones who argue over price increase of 5 baht. and so on

I should add, probably 99% of farang here don't care either. We appreciate a freer (in many ways) society.

Many a Thai would love to sit there drinking as well if he had time and a farang were paying.

On the contrary, I quite understand your sanctimonious little opinion and hence expressed no incomprehension--unlike yourself.

But theirs, and yours, is merely a subjective opinion inherited from nanny state upbringings and Puritan influences. It lacks any justification, validity (except for yourselves--and so you may go leave LOS or avoid 7/11 and Friendship), or significance in this society in which we farang are mere outsiders.

Meanwhile, a couple of days ago I saw an old grey-haired farang couple sitting at a table outside Friendship each drinking a big Chang that he/she was free to enjoy there. Good for them. Cheers! tongue.png

The ones who have the time to even noticee stuff like that are very classless in my eyes.I purchase water from 7/11 purely because i am having a good walk and its more enjoyable to drink.Are we judging people on where they drink,because if so an expensive go-go is for perverts in my eyes.sitting there ogling half naked flesh,its disgusting lol lol.They are supposed to be classy cos they drink a 150 baht tiger lite,pathetic isnt it.

Edited by somtampet

Mate, may i suggest you spend few days with/amongst working(little educated) Thai's not taxi drivers, builders or bar girls/boys, and learn basic Thai, then you might learn what they think and speak about foreigners at 7-11, foreigners in the bars, foreigners walking around with females 1/2 the age, the ones who wait for 1 baht change and ones who argue over price increase of 5 baht. and so on

to be honest i couldnt give a flying hoot what u,thais, muslims,catholics,think of me. I dont drink outside momma poppa shops,7/11 or even friendship,but if i did would i care what you thought of me,not one bit.

• Like 1

I hope many people on this thread don't get nosebleeds on their lofty towers. These "I'm so much better than those other scummy people" threads say a lot more about the originators and followers than they do about the objects of the threads.

+1

You mean the thais who spit down on poorer Thais (isaan people) and hate falangs because their skin is more white and usually have more money than them ? I couldn't care less what they think, my visa allows me to stay here and if they really don't like falangs why don't they move out of Pattaya ? coffee1.gif

You mean the thais who spit down on poorer Thais (isaan people) and hate falangs because their skin is more white and usually have more money than them ? I couldn't care less what they think, my visa allows me to stay here and if they really don't like falangs why don't they move out of Pattaya ? coffee1.gif

yeah the ones who actually get up and go to work and do so every day. Not the ones who sit around and spounge off their kids or looking for ways to scam someone.

I see, so because you have a visa you now have the right to do whatever you wish and if locals do not like it, they need to moveclap2.gif

That is an undeniable logic!blink.png

And if he did, he'd learn that such Thais don't notice or don't know or don't care about such behavior. Now, "nice" Thais are indeed repulsed by some of the farang/bargirl immodesty. Having sex on the beach is routinely discouraged by the police, though there's typically a crowd of Thais who enjoy watching. Yet I've seen a Thai girl grabbing a farang man's crotch in public, on a bus. Still, this wouldn't be a major concern for Thais, who tend to mind their own business, do have some idea of who's who, have some sense of humor, and quickly forget unless there's a matter of self-interest--money, face, family. Certainly they'd never lie awake at night, post in a forum, and relentlessly obsess over it as you do.

Plenty of older Thai men are seen walking around with much younger women. (I'm sometimes envious!) Nothing shocking or unusual there.

Clerks on the front lines of retail dealing with farang tourists will be shell-shocked from dealing with all the crazies. Misunderstandings abound. Yet many still manage to respond well to polite, smiling behavior.

And all Thais understand the reasonable expectation to pay a fair price and receive correct change from a payment. Withholding part of the change for the purpose of stealing it is known as "cheating style." Honest vendors give correct change. Despite the pretensions to superior understanding, you've chosen the wrong issue entirely. The issue wouldn't be the expectation to pay a fair price or to receive correct change. It would be the issue of whether the expectation is expressed calmly and politely or not.

Your false impression actually derives mostly from your experience with "taxi drivers, builders or bar girls/boys." But, to pop this new balloon, neither "working(little educated) Thai's" nor "taxi drivers, builders or bar girls/boys" care about farangs drinking beer in front of 7/11 or Friendship. Truth is, you've never heard any derogatory comment at all about it from a Thai (unless he/she was just being agreeable). It's all you, not them.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 2

Been going on for years, just more Westerners in Pattaya now, therefore more noticeable. Foodland is a reasonable location, you do not have to put up with boring BGs.

It makes a lot of sense for people who want to drink outside the house but don't want to be bothered or pressured by BG's looking for business.

@lemoncake

I have seen plenty of guys drinking here in front of houses (on the sidewalk) and on little tables near shops. This is in the outskirts of BKK not a white face in sight but mine. Just an average village. Thais don't really care about it seen Thais being too lazy to walk to the toilet an d urinate against a tree. Thais are not the model citizin that you think they are. It does depend of course who you are looking at but normal people not hi so will not have too much problems with this.

The bit richer guys walk with their giks / mia nois of half their age too they just do it a bit less conspicious and they know its a money thing. They don't fool themselves like some Westerners doo. Also Thais do visit or get hookers too, just look at all the "curtain" hotels there are even here where i live no foreigner in sight.

Seems more that you like to say what is normal and what is not, what is normal for one is not normal for an other. I have walked enough times with an ice tea or something sipping it while walking. (sorry don't drink alcohol) Now i wonder what other sins i have committed in your eyes. I say live and let live, I bet you the Russians are 10 times worse anyway.

• Like 1

I almost forgot to add, at the fishing lakes that i go to Thais consume enormous amounts of alcohol all sitting at tables and little huts there. I been there early in the morning a few time and saw them take away all the bottles in a wheel barrel. Somehow i doubt that kind of people (normal average people) would mind it much if you were drinking your beer in front of a 711

@lemoncake

I have seen plenty of guys drinking here in front of houses (on the sidewalk) and on little tables near shops. This is in the outskirts of BKK not a white face in sight but mine. Just an average village. Thais don't really care about it seen Thais being too lazy to walk to the toilet an d urinate against a tree. Thais are not the model citizin that you think they are. It does depend of course who you are looking at but normal people not hi so will not have too much problems with this.

The bit richer guys walk with their giks / mia nois of half their age too they just do it a bit less conspicious and they know its a money thing. They don't fool themselves like some Westerners doo. Also Thais do visit or get hookers too, just look at all the "curtain" hotels there are even here where i live no foreigner in sight.

Seems more that you like to say what is normal and what is not, what is normal for one is not normal for an other. I have walked enough times with an ice tea or something sipping it while walking. (sorry don't drink alcohol) Now i wonder what other sins i have committed in your eyes. I say live and let live, I bet you the Russians are 10 times worse anyway.

in all your examples are of people on the outskirts NOT in the heart of the city.

also all your examples are of people drinking outside their homes with friends around the table

friendship supermarket is in the heart of the city, NOT on the outskirts, there are no tables and no food is served, not to mention its day time.

I live in a Thai area, a house with no bars or condo's insight, 7-11 on one side of the soi and family mart on the other.

Not even once i have seen any thai sitting or standing outside either of the stores day time drinking. In the evening some food sellers set up tables and chairs and yes then have people sitting, eating and drinking, but thats a totally different matter.

If you think day time drinking in public place in the heart of the city is acceptable behavior, then all the power to you

I almost forgot to add, at the fishing lakes that i go to Thais consume enormous amounts of alcohol all sitting at tables and little huts there. I been there early in the morning a few time and saw them take away all the bottles in a wheel barrel. Somehow i doubt that kind of people (normal average people) would mind it much if you were drinking your beer in front of a 711

what does a fishing lake have to do with day time drinking at a shopping mall?

If you want to compare the 2, perhaps comparing fishing lake to a bar on the beach would be much more appropriate, do not you think?