I-Mobile Iq5 & Iq6

oz457

Just found a site with the ROM's for the IQ6 so it can be rooted.

Need to get the screen warranty fixed tomorrow then I will give it a try.

Did you manage to root it? What instructions did you follow?

Unfortunately I fell for the lies/incompetence of the shop staff in the I-Mobile shop so the wife's IQ6 is currently on a 4 week holiday to BKK to get fixed.

I did however follow the instructions and have all the required ROM's and porting software ready to do for when it gets back.

The instructions were written in Thai but for a change Bing made a very good translation. Good enough for anyone to follow. Here is the link.....

Rooting i-Mobile IQ6.

They also have the ROM's for the IQ6A

I have not tried this to completion and do not accept ANY responsibility for the contents of the translated Thai site. As always rooting iffers many rewards but do so at your peril ;-)

It's unfortunate that Imobile almost cannot be found in the regular small phone shops.

I always buy my phones in the same shop and get service above and beyond what the manufacturer offers.

And for example Samsung can be just as slow (multiple weeks) for repairs/replacement.

Had one instance where I needed outright replacement due to manufacturing fault, after the initial 7 days outright replacement period, Samsung service center said they have to send to Bkk, estimated 3 weeks, the shop I bought exchanged straight away out of their stock and absorbed the 3 week wait for a replacement unit.

See all this useful info after I have sent mine away but at least I am well armed next time as we all know there will most certainly be a next time,

The *LMFAO* after service here in Pattaya is disgusting. I have always been a Nokia man and they are not so bad at least you get a loan phone while yours is being fixed. What I am furious at is I found the supposed main i-Mobile customer/service shop for Pattaya on Pattaya Nua they quoted 4 weeks, I made a *bleep* point of asking if I was able to take it to BKK myself and they said it would also take 4 weeks. A kind TV BM pointed me towards MBK and in 30 seconds I found out they would fix the phone in 1 hour. I am fuming. No loan phone and her's is away for 4 weeks.

Don't suppose you wish to share the gem of a dealers you have do you?

Live and learn, live and learn.

Actually I do...

TukCom.

First floor (phone floor), taking the escalator up you'd walk straight into the shop (unless they moved direction of escalators again).

They also have a big selection of 2nd hand phones, and previously with another repair (of an older phone) they gave me a loaner out of their extensive 2nd hand collection, free of charge...

Must say I probably bought over 8 phones there in the last 5 years...

And, as mentioned before, no I-mobile.

And I'm seriously considering one, the one with the IPS screen has an extremely good price/specification level.

I like my Samsungs, but even with them I never went top level (can't justify for my needs), but relativly speaking they are way more expensive...

Sounds like a lucky find. I have been using various phone shops/counters since Tukom opened. I actually remember having to wait 2 years for them to build it thats how old I am.

I have a few friends with S3's and they love them but at 18-20k especially for the wife its too expensive. ThaiCBR put me onto the IQ6 and she was very happy with it. Only problem is the IQ6 doesn't support 3G on 1-2-Call it does on all the others. They recently brought out the IQ6A to rectify this but I'm guessing you knew this already.

For a 6000THB phone its great (until it breaks)

Edited by Para

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ThaiCBR put me onto the IQ6 and she was very happy with it. Only problem is the IQ6 doesn't support 3G on 1-2-Call it does on all the others. They recently brought out the IQ6A to rectify this but I'm guessing you knew this already.

For a 6000THB phone its great (until it breaks)

Isn't the IQ6 8500 THB?

Did compass apps work on it?

Also, did Skype work on it? I couldn't get the microphone working in Skype, but it works in normal calls.

Edited by hyperdimension

Found the work ticket and looks like i was wrong she has the i-mobile i-STYLE Q6. Crazy naming convention IMO.

Really happy you guys pointed this out as I would of rooted it with the IQ6 ROM's when it came back.....

Bought an iq6a and really happy with it. Price is great.

Can you please try a compass app like Smart Compass and tell me whether it works?

Please also try Skype and tell me whether microphone works in it.

I couldn't get these things working on my IQ6A.

Have you been back to the shop to get them to test?

Regarding the compass I will say for some reason her i-STYLE Q6 (see I now know what she has!) took so long to get a GPS lock. Wondering if a firmware UG is needed. Don't think I will bother with the clowns at Pattaya Nua will have a day out in MBK and get it done in 1 hour.....

I bought i-mobile IQ6. Price is 8,290 baht.

1.Compass Catch.com
2.Smart Compass Smart Tools co.
3.Z - Device Test

I installed compass apps and tried them.
any compass apps don't work at all.

Skype(ver.3.0.0.6181) is no problem.
I can talk with friends.

• Like 1

I paid 8300 but big c and tesco do for 8500 I notice.

I think I just got lucky the 200 was not a consideration but being AIS compliant was.

So difficult to find one in stock it took me three days as the Thais love them.

This really feels like a top end phone and camera is fantastic.

Used GPS first time tonight finding new restaurant and was less than impressed to be honest.

I think I just got lucky the 200 was not a consideration but being AIS compliant was.

Used GPS first time tonight finding new restaurant and was less than impressed to be honest.

Cheers for sharing that Britgent.

I noticed on her i-Style Q6 (why do they gave to make the model numbers so bloody similar?) that GPS locking was VERY bad even with both A-GPS and E-GPS. Maybe this is the reason Hyperdimeonsion is struggling with his compass apps as they need a GPS lock.

I bought my Nokia N8 as soon as it came out and to a degree still love it. The picture quality with the Carl Zeis lens is as good as I will ever need but I paid over 18k. Shows how technological leaps are getting bigger and bigger.

Can any Q6 users comment on GPS locking please.

On a slightly different note does anybody know how I can tell which Bluetooth keyboards will work with the iq6?

Bluetooth is Bluetooth mate any keyboard and or mouse will work.

Nokia has a cute one that folds in half and has a stand to place the hone on fairly cheap on eBay or use a full sized. I bought one of them tiny micro keyboards which mostly works but with sausage fingers keep having to make corrections. Only advantage is I can pair it with my desktop and use it as a remote. Remember I am using Nokia Symbian right now so aint blessed with the remote options you Android guys have.

Can you please try a compass app like Smart Compass and tell me whether it works?

I tried Skype again.

I usually use headset.

1.launch skype

2.I call friends, microphone no work

3.microphone works after attach headset

4.When I recieve skype call from friends, microphone works without headset.

My IQ6 information

System settings > About phone >

Baseband version : MAUI.11AMD.W12.22.SP.V19.F1.P, 2013/01/29 17:40

Build number : i-mobile IQ 6_T11

I tried Skype again.

I usually use headset.

1.launch skype

2.I call friends, microphone no work

3.microphone works after attach headset

4.When I recieve skype call from friends, microphone works without headset.

My IQ6 information

System settings > About phone >

Baseband version : MAUI.11AMD.W12.22.SP.V19.F1.P, 2013/01/29 17:40

Build number : i-mobile IQ 6_T11

Smart move on posting the Baseband version at least others can check theirs against yours.

I noticed on her i-Style Q6 (why do they gave to make the model numbers so bloody similar?) that GPS locking was VERY bad even with both A-GPS and E-GPS. Maybe this is the reason Hyperdimeonsion is struggling with his compass apps as they need a GPS lock.

I bought my Nokia N8 as soon as it came out and to a degree still love it. The picture quality with the Carl Zeis lens is as good as I will ever need but I paid over 18k. Shows how technological leaps are getting bigger and bigger.

I have found that to be true. Gps on the Q6 is rubbish. I was waiting to back to the UK to test it.. still rubbish.

I'm going to take it up with I-mobile :D

I have found that to be true. Gps on the Q6 is rubbish. I was waiting to back to the UK to test it.. still rubbish.

I'm going to take it up with I-mobile biggrin.png

Right so you get me to buy one now the GPS is crap cheers mate!

Just kidding that aside the phone is great. Wondering if a rooted Q6 with new ROM's would have better GPS locking? I remember back in the Nokia N95 days GPS was awful then a s./ware upgrade offered A-GPS and it was locking in sub 10 seconds.

I'm going to take it up with I-mobile

Right so you get me to buy one now the GPS is crap cheers mate!

Just kidding that aside the phone is great. Wondering if a rooted Q6 with new ROM's would have better GPS locking? I remember back in the Nokia N95 days GPS was awful then a s./ware upgrade offered A-GPS and it was locking in sub 10 seconds.

Sorry about that. I didn't realise until a few weeks ago. And I have been away on an unwanted 14 day holiday :D

I'm going to try and contact the I-mobile service center see what they say.

Sorry about that. I didn't realise until a few weeks ago. And I have been away on an unwanted 14 day holiday biggrin.png

I'm going to try and contact the I-mobile service center see what they say.

LOL! Just kidding mate she loves the phone I'm the one that wants GPS locking so I can see where she wanders off to on occasions!

1.Compass Catch.com

2.Smart Compass Smart Tools co.

3.Z - Device Test

I installed compass apps and tried them.

any compass apps don't work at all.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's the same for me.

Can other IQ6 / IQ6A owners confirm that compass apps don't work?

GPS works on my IQ6A, including without a data connection. I tried it in Kuala Lumpur over the weekend. I don't mind that it takes some time to "fix" as I'm just glad that it works, unlike my experience with compass apps, which don't work regardless of whether it has a GPS lock. A compass should not need a GPS lock as it uses a magnetometer in the phone, not satellites. Having a compass would allow for automatic rotation of maps when you navigate using a map. I wonder why they wouldn't include a magnetometer in this phone when they cost so little these days:

they reached a watershed moment in 2009, when the price of three-axis magnetometers dipped below US $1 per device. "Six months ago, magnetic sensors were selling at $1.50 each, but the price is coming down rapidly," says Laich. "They're now at the sub-$0.50 point and look to get even cheaper as production volumes increase."

Source: A Compass in Every Smartphone

Just yesterday I tried the bubble level tool in the Swiss Army Knife app, and it worked!

swiss_army_knife_spiritlevel_250.jpg

So GPS works, bubble level works, accelerometer works, but there's no compass?!

Edited by hyperdimension

GPS works on my IQ6A, including without a data connection. I tried it in Kuala Lumpur over the weekend. I don't mind that it takes some time to "fix" as I'm just glad that it works, unlike my experience with compass apps, which don't work regardless of whether it has a GPS lock. A compass should not need a GPS lock as it uses a magnetometer in the phone, not satellites. Having a compass would allow for automatic rotation of maps when you navigate using a map. I wonder why they wouldn't include a magnetometer in this phone when they cost so little these days:

>they reached a watershed moment in 2009, when the price of three-axis magnetometers dipped below US $1 per device. "Six months ago, magnetic sensors were selling at $1.50 each, but the price is coming down rapidly," says Laich. "They're now at the sub-$0.50 point and look to get even cheaper as production volumes increase."

Source: A Compass in Every Smartphone

Just yesterday I tried the bubble level tool in the Swiss Army Knife app, and it worked!

swiss_army_knife_spiritlevel_250.jpg

So GPS works, bubble level works, accelerometer works, but there's no compass?!

Interesting. My N8 locks within 30 seconds with data I gave up on hers after 30 minutes with data. Others are also having GPS problems so I am not alone. I never knew that about the compass not needing GPS my N8 needs a lock.

The bubble level is 100% dependent on the accelerometer right?

So I guess the next test is if you get a GPS lock then try the compass eliminating as we go?

Interesting. My N8 locks within 30 seconds with data I gave up on hers after 30 minutes with data. Others are also having GPS problems so I am not alone. I never knew that about the compass not needing GPS my N8 needs a lock.

So I guess the next test is if you get a GPS lock then try the compass eliminating as we go?

I'm not sure whether the bubble level is dependent on the accelerometer or a gyroscopic sensor.

Compass apps on my IQ6A do not work even with a GPS lock.

I'm not sure whether the bubble level is dependent on the accelerometer or a gyroscopic sensor.

Compass apps on my IQ6A do not work even with a GPS lock.

Wanna buy a Nokia N8? thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...