What Do You Love About Thailand?

cdnvic

Okay, alot of us have been slagging off this place lately, which is one of the ways you deal with forgien environments, by having a place to blow off some steam.

However, there has to be things keeping us here, so lets see what everyone has to say about the other side of the story:

Only In Thailand....

Siam square, warm summer night, relaxed atmosphere, kids playing, people milling about.... an elephant strolls by...

Parking lot attendant in Phrae telling me to park over there "...next to chicken"

The newspaper vendor that was having long friendly Thai language conversations with me every morning, long before I learned any Thai.

When I walk down Loi Kroh road many women say hello and tell me how handsome I am.... very kind of them :D

Eating a bowl of green chili paste to impress some Akha friends who dared me to taste it. Spending the rest of the evening "snacking" on baking soda :o

Samlor drivers. Never been ripped off by one, and those guys work bloody hard for their $$$$

Puttering down Doi Saket road at 1am, and getting passed by four screeching katooeys precariously balanced on a Dio.

The lady at my favourite foodstall always gives me an extra large helping (without any additional price) because she says "farlung bigger, need more food".

The police seem to be actually friendly to me, if not exactly ambitious.

Getting a wai at KFC.

When I go to Pizza Hut for the all you can eat buffet, they actually keep trying to feed you more after you're full.

Even when you pay too much, things are usually cheap :D

Everyone who's anyone gets a motorcade (fun to watch)

Best of all: It's 3degrees back home, and 32 here :D

cv

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, cdnvic.

This is on the "private" side.

On the business side, once you gain the trust of the Thai people, they are some of the most dedicated employees/workers I know.

And believe me, Toyota which is one of the smartest and most successfull company in this world does not invest a lot of money in this country for nothing,...

True, I had Thais work for me in NZ. They were by and large hard workers but I noticed a bit of a gender divide with ALL the women I saw working very hard, while the males tended to be a lot more slack. You seen anything like that?

cv

True, I had Thais work for me in NZ. They were by and large hard workers but I noticed a bit of a gender divide with ALL the women I saw working very hard, while the males tended to be a lot more slack.

In fact, this is partly true. The girls are more "naturally" dedicated while the men need a more "disciplined" environment,...

Guest IT Manager

Getting up in the morning, to greet the day when it's still black outside, so I can take my boy to school.

Being waved at by the neighbours kids as catch the song taew to their school.

Being waved at by the neighbors.

Watching the footy and cheering when our team scores.

Watching the takraw and wondering how the he1l they do that. Cheering when our side scores.

Getting my washing machine fixed for 15 baht.

Buying a frig for 120 bucks... new.

Paying the power bill. 600 baht.

Paying the water bill. 48 baht.

Paying for 3 months supply of gas. 235 baht.

Living here

Loving here

Missing my wife here.

Watching my kid stay healthy.

Meeting people without ever seeing them.

Making new mates daily on Thaivisa.

Marveling at the intelligence of new friends.

Wondering why new friends are challenged to become new friends.

Having a beer with a few friends for 100 baht.

Not having a lot of money, living well,

Not being thought cheap because I only buy 1 round of drinks.

Playing pool at the village bar. Watching the balls slide the last 3" in a new direction, and not caring, just because it's fun to do it.

Feeding 5 people for 180 baht including 1 beer.

Watching Loong Yen being a big pooying, then laughing when he says Jaow and tries to kiss me.

Not feeling strange about supporting a queer community on a big web site.

Not being afraid.

Being proud of what my wife and I have been able to do in our small community.

Not feeling bad because I don't want to go out at night all the time and get smashed.

Being proud of peoples' trust in me.

Not being afraid.

Not feeling bad because I don't want to go out at night all the time and get smashed.

You have way of writing that is very moving, IT.

Getting up in the morning, to greet the day when it's still black outside, so I can take my boy to school.

Being waved at by the neighbours kids as catch the song taew to their school.

Being waved at by the neighbors.

Watching the footy and cheering when our team scores.

Watching the takraw and wondering how the ###### they do that. Cheering when our side scores.

Very true, IT. The business side is just an added "bonus", ...

Yeah it's also the small things that keep you here........

Getting to work for 20 baht on a motobike taxi

Eating dinner for 20 baht a night

Thai food- som tam, sticky rice, namtok, kai yang, tom yam etc

Small villages up country

the mountains

mai pen rai

the green jungles and forests

the people

a quiet temple

buing fruit and other foods from the songthaews that go past my house

when a person as me if Hobbits are real ?

the little girl in my soi who calls out to me everyday and runs to meet me and hold my hand on the way home......what a leader is she and she is 4 !!

Thai food is the best food in the world my favourites being, Somtum (pet), Moo Kapow, Gang Keo Wan Gai, Pla Dug, Tom Yum Goong and of course Khow Tom with the little mince pork balls for breakfast and still after all these years for 20 baht.

The smile on their face when I can eat hotter food than what they can. :o

Also the way they take care of their elderly by not just shoving them into a nursing and never visiting them.

Sod this BS..you wanna know what I don't like about Thai?...

Being unemployed and the money running out...

Being unemployed in a place where there is nothing to do other than spend meager resources on local liquor and becoming convinced that there is a brain tumour from the hangover...

finding that you are the only white face in a country place and that the locals scream '###### you, falang' as if it was a greeting...

terrible upcountry food from the food stalls, and the supermarket 20 miles away has no ground beef or canned beans...

nowhere to go and nothing to see other than the odd funeral at the local wat and then the mozzies bite the shit out of you...can't even pray or burn incense properly

when coming to the airport you head directly for the Burger king as that is exotic food...later when you have missed your flight because of some Thai booking agent ###### up you hang around because of the glamour of the airport...

wondering when it will ever end...

But, there are worse places. I got a roof over my head that is paid for and my wife still loves me...nice roast chicken or loin of pork with mustard sauce once per week. The kids think I am nuts but they still cuddle up to their uncle falang. What more could anyone ask for?

Small gifts in small packages...

Riding a motorcycle at sunset, on a country road and following the cranes, flying over red clouds and palm trees.

The almost total uselesness of socks...

All the :o

Dinner with my GF at the local Ninja on Phanat Nikhom and feeding the black dog sitting on the other side of the fence.

The evening thunderstorms, come to think of it... all the thunderstorms.

Getting lost on purpose ,without a roadmap, and find my way back home.

The sweet squeak and fading in and out of so many different AM radio stations at night.

Never a cold ceramic tile under my feet.

It goes without saying that being surrounded by such friendly people is great. I am also impressed with their ability to accept all the cultural differences that foreigners bring here. The locals may sometimes laugh at some of the things we do or the way we do them, but it is never in a nasty way. I know that my own country isn’t so accepting. :o

Not being afraid.

You have way of writing that is very moving, IT.

Totally agree - seriously IT every time you write like that you get the tear ducts working. :o

2 folding chairs

+1 folding table

+bucket of ice

+6 beer chang

= New pub

+ Umbrella

= fancy new pub :D

Trying to explain the concept of a snowmobile to my father in law when there was no common language between us and he's never even seen snow.

VIP buses :D

Watching farlungs who are totally without a clue, like me once. (Ok, that sounded kind of mean, but let's face it, a girl trying to walk into a temple in a bikini top is funny, almost as funny as the look on people's faces as their 'romantic' cycling trip through thailand meets Bangkok traffic, or the people who think that speaking english with an asian accent helps them be understood) :o

cv

2 folding chairs

+1 folding table

+bucket of ice

+6 beer chang

= New pub

+ Umbrella

= fancy new pub :D

Trying to explain the concept of a snowmobile to my father in law when there was no common language between us and he's never even seen snow.

VIP buses :D

Watching farlungs who are totally without a clue, like me once. (Ok, that sounded kind of mean, but let's face it, a girl trying to walk into a temple in a bikini top is funny, almost as funny as the look on people's faces as their 'romantic' cycling trip through thailand meets Bangkok traffic, or the people who think that speaking english with an asian accent helps them be understood) :o

cv

My, my, my, 6 beer Chang. No wonder, you like it here, cdnvic.

Remind me of the Frank Sinatra's saying, which I posted somewhere else on this forum before:

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink - because when they get up in the morning that's the best they will feel all day." :D:D

The weather. Its fun walking in the rain even!

Unknown five year old kids grabbing you by the hand and leading you to the toilet in a newly discovered place (market etc).

Kids giggling, cheering and laughing - and jumping into klongs - can but not smile whatever mood you were in before.

People chatting in Thai to you knowing you can't speaqk Thai. Their joy when you utter your few new Thai phrases. "Pood pasa Thai Dai. Pood dee mark. Shallart, geng mark....". Just makes you feel more like a plum, but who cares.

Listening to farang men putting 'Ka' at the end of every sentance (Thai or English) :o

Mother-in-Law thinking I must need at least 4 meals per hour, and thinking that I don't want to ever go out (and leave the aircon) so sends youngest son out for everything and orders my wife to bring me unending cups of ice water.

Allways being noticed in the sea of Thai faces at shows, comedy clubs, Thai music bars etc. Went to a comedy show last year in BKK - there were about 10 commedians each doing their pieces one after the other - I got picked by every one of them (the only white face). Even when one was a certain ex-Scot farang!

The weather - oh said that, never mind, its worth mentioning again.

Songkran in BKK - water fights in the back of pickups and Thais running up and covering you in jasmine scented paste.

The way a smile and a slight bow appeases everyone and gets you out of untold trouble. Try that in Manchester cit centre at 2 in the morning to the six thugs wanting to hammer you into a new shape!

The fun of waiting for the next comical episode of "Thaksin at the helm".

The way 'Mai ow' stops hawkers in their tracks, they saunter away to the next hopeful, no hassle - try that in most of Asia!

Oh, and the weather of course. :D

Watching 3 girls ride a moped, one side saddle and one bunched up at the front and all with gorgeous legs and faces (and none with a helmet to protect their lovely heads, but we won't mention that). :o

Sitting and stuffing your face with khao tom at 4.00 am after a mega-sesh and getting back home just as the monks are filing out on their alms round. :D

Wandering up and down the night market stalls and wondering which of the 500 hundred types of food you're going to sample. :D

Watching an Isaan festival parade where everyone is having a good time without exception and you can just about put up with the obnoxious drunk in your face, saying "whiskey Thai, you drink me". :D

Being remembered by someone you met briefly 5 years ago and long forgotten, but they can remember every detail as if it was yesterday. :D

Aye, it can be a bloody lovely place on occasions.

My, my, my, 6 beer Chang. No wonder, you like it here, cdnvic.

Remind me of the Frank Sinatra's saying, which I posted somewhere else on this forum before:

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink - because when they get up in the morning that's the best they will feel all day."

I like that one BlueCat.

--------------------SomTam Poo!!!!!!!!!!!!------------------

No cold weather.

Remote dirt roads in Isaan where you can still drink and drive at 5 mph and watch your Golden Retreiver chase rice feild rats in circles around you as you do so.

Moo Nam Tok!!!

Lots of MOO---(VERY Important once you've spent 14 months in an Arab country without it!)

And MOST IMPORTANTLY-------being on the other side of the planet from my boss & home office!

Gotta give my super sweet wife credit as well. I've had who knows how many farang girlfriends back in the USA, but my beautiful wife here is everything I ever dreamed of.

cheap friends (pay by the night)

and its warm

Silly little worm. You should stay at bangkoksexy where everyone thinks that would have been quite the funny thing to write, sitting, I assume, in a Kao San Road internet cafe.

Get a life.

Edited by IT Manager

cheap sex and cheap sex and cheap sex cheap sex and cheap sex and cheap sex

and its warm

:D:o

and its warm

:D:D

Come on guys, can't you lie like most of us?

A believable lie is better than a stupid fact. Italian Saying

:o

this is serious folks...when I was young in california I used to surf...and any surfer will tell you that a good ride is better than sex. So...how are we to judge when it comes to middle age and cheeseburgers? Can't surf no more...can hardly get it up even when presented with flowering Asian beauties but a cheeseburger and beer hits the spot every time.

Don't mess around...this is a serious matter...