What Do You Love About Thailand?

cdnvic

Well I guess the level of enjoyment depends a great deal of how much money one earns or can spend.

But what I loved in Thailand and will love again as I am moving back in 2 weeks are:

* Driving your motorbike on Phuket and going to the lookout point as sunset and thinkng to yourself : "What a lucky guy I am!"

* Seeing a police road block for helmet checks and trying to speed into some small soi so as not to have to pay the fine for not wearing a helmet.

* Sitting in a bar and thinking you are gods gift to woman

* Going to the market and discovering some new fresh fruit or vegetable like yellow watermellon.

* Having a drinking contest with my inlaws and see them passing out one by one or start kicking each others asses because of the boox (esp this nasty red locally brewed whiskey

* Going to different Wat's and enjoy the immense feeling of the place

* Trying to haggle with my local cd/vcd dealer as he still thinks I am a tourist

There are too many things to mention.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not wanting to go home

Skuba diving

Snorkleing

My Girlfriend riding 2miles to buy me chicken cos i said i liked it better than fish

Being able to order food in a club

My girlfriends smile as she sleeps & dimples when she smiles

Someone telling you you have a good heart

The smile on kids faces as then soak you during song kran

The smile on kids faces when they see that your knakered after only 2minutes of playing football with them on a beach

Buying a drink for the owner of the bar, they buy you a drink back, you buy one, they buy you 1 back, this goes on all night, you fall asleep on the bar.

Making a new friend every few minutes.

Walking home

Winding roads

No helmets

Riding and dodging elephant poo

Being called hansum man

"Where you come from" "What u do now?" "Where you go" "I come wit u". "no money no problem i cum wit u for free" :o

I could go on all day

• 3 weeks later...

Slag.....siam....ok

NZ-MD was ripped off by Metro-police on Sukhumvit at 2am ...for walking

UK-xBuddhist Monk was ripped off by Chulalongkorn 'Senior' student

Iranian-xCommando was run-over by thai motor-cyclist on Sukhumvit

Kasikorn ThaiFarmers Bank's 2nd Chairman is Pol.Gen. Pow Sarasin

Pow Sarasin's son works for Narcotics Suppression's Chairman

Narocotic Suppression's Chairman is Pol.Gen. Adithep Panjamanon,

who will kill another 3000 'bad-guys' in 2004...in bangkok

Narcotic Suppressions's 2nd Chairman will be the new Director of Immigration

Thai Tourist Police are under the TOT...and will only help 'tourists'

Thai Tourist Police will service with a smile, their only function

all thai banks are under the BOT=bank-of-thailand, the TOT has no written laws.

Thonburi Metro Police will fix any problem if you give them a 'budget'

1/2-price Watsons sale, the bottle is 1/2 full @ special discount from 200%

...slagged enough, or need more

Im not living there yet, but i have a few from travels;

-Having my fiancee snuggled up close to me when i wake up, and not minding moving so I can use the toilet :o

-Seeing a gorgeous sunrise while helping a random bloke from Devon clean the beach up from the hordes last night

-Knowing I can ask someone the time and not get looked at as-if I was scum (unlike London)

-Meeting someone you wouldnt talk to at home and spending the night talking about random nonsense

-Getting your beer brought to your table and paying at the end of the night (not like trying to force your way to the bar in a pub, only to find you dont have enough for that one more! lol)

-Seeing my fiancee smile and be especially happy about the day, even thought its no different than any other

-Knowing I dont have to avoid every slightly shady looking person in fear they might mug me

-Being able to get drunk for less than the price of a couple of pints!

-Sitting on a beach on Phi Phi Don looking at more stars than ive ever seen in my life

-The complete sense of happiness you have every day when you wake up, for absolutley no reason at all

-The thought of everyone back home wearing 7 layers of clothes, while im still wearing shorts & a T-shirt at 4am

-Meeting the love of my life, and knowing we'll be happy for the rest of our lives

-One last one; the realisation that England has nothing left to offer me

All I can say is I cant wait to join you guys there soon.

Peace and Love,

Rik

• 2 weeks later...

Doing nothing in Issan. Feeling I am busy doing nothing in Issan. Being draged around the village by the kids. Farong this... Farong that... Being dragged off to demonstrate my Thai dancing on every and any occasion. The endless neighbours. Laos whiskey at 6 am. Cheap beer. Sticky rice. All you can eat reastaurants for 70 baht. Sharing the back of a ute with 15 other people. Grandma. Buying whitegoods for the folks. Giving everything away cos I never really wanted them anyway. Thai Bar girls whose chatter keeps me sane and insane simultaneously. Knowing my girlfriend will cut my throat if i ever lie or take them home. Having zero interest in white women. Never being bored. Letting Buddha sort everything out. Fishing in the ponds. Thai Beer.....

Roast squid on a stick

the smell of squid roasting over the charcoal fire

the alternating aromas of diesel fumes, cooking , and blooming flowers, and the sewer like klong water.

the joy on the face of the sweet bar girl when she sees you for the second or third time.

real thai massage

riding a 100cc honda scooter around Phuket

the fine white sand at kata beach.

seeing a giant turtle or a shark while scuba diving.

drinking beer at the aussie bar looking down bangla road at the mass of humanity passing by.

the honk honk of the fruit vendors coming down the street.

waking up, relaxing at home, checking email etc playing with the dogs fixing bikes and truck, go out on the bike in the country, getting some shopping, going home play with the wife, go to work at 930pm, do the accounts, have a good drink, go home at about 3am after eating excellent thai food.

being able to afford to go to any restaurant or bar in pattaya and not worry about cost, unlike london.(except tonys disco, shithole)

wake up, same again

(although being out everynight is a pain in the arse) but i would'nt change a thing, i love it here :o

Going to the market and buying 3 bags full of fruit and veg, for 120 baht - :o

I love sailing my boat around Koh Yao Islands, the prettiest views of Thailand!

I love filling my truck up for half the cost of most countries.

I love that things arent the same as my country - like the roads, the language, the simplistic ways of life, the genuine smiles, the bewilderment of the kids when you speak to them in Thai, haggling prices with a smile and the high morals of the average Thai - lovely.

I also love that I am about to build a resort on an Island, where I will see out my days in a hammock on a beautiful beach with my wife, my kids and a smile.

When built, let us know the address !... :D

The sex :D

The bars

The food

The raves

The afters

The discos

The techno

The pool bars

The gogo bars

The show bars

The blo*job bars :D

The foot massages

The afternoon bars

The massage parlours

The low prices & affordability

The real massages as well (oil & Thai)

The availability for "all you can dream of"

The flexibility on "everything that is forbidden"

...and all this with... :o

The non confrontational way

The website of Thaivisa

The sense of happiness

The strengh & courage

The relax atmosphere

The extreme violence

The sense of humour

The happy-go-luck

The perseverance

The Mystery (!) :D

The tolerance

The Culture

The odours

The people

The reality

The smiles

The help

The love :D

For some of us here in the early 70's, the joy of Thailand was many, and often in contrast to its neighbors. Four stick out;

-- No AAA

-- No karst mountains hiding in the clouds

-- Secure bases

-- Great RR

And today it's still great -- for different reasons, although great RR still pertains, even if the bones are a lot older.

For some of us here in the early 70's, the joy of Thailand was many, and often in contrast to its neighbors. Four stick out;

-- No AAA

-- No karst mountains hiding in the clouds

-- Secure bases

-- Great RR

And today it's still great -- for different reasons, although great RR still pertains, even if the bones are a lot older.

From the way this sounds, you must have served in a military capacity in Laos. Am I right?

Things I love about Thailand:

1. Waitstaff actually appreciating tips you give them and returning your tip with a huge smile and a wai. Back in the states, you'll get a dirty look if they feel the tip wasn't large enough. :o

2. The fact that I feel its comfortable outside when all the Thais think its freezing.

3. The security gentlemen being asleep in the lobby of my condo building and I am never worried about safety.

4. The genuine friendliness I feel from most of the Thai people.

5. Not worrying at all about not having a car because I know the public transportation will get me where I need to go for next to nothing.

6. The whole country being relatively inexpensive.

7. Going to get a haircut and always being offered a glass of water.

8. 150 baht 1-hour foot massages in Udon Thani.

9. The wai. I love the wai and I know there was a big topic all about it before. I much prefer it over shaking hands simply because I am very concerned about germs and bacteria and do not much like to touch everybody elses hand. It is one of the biggest ways people spread disease and virus' and I try to wai to everyone while I am in-country. I care not if other farang feel it is silly for me to do so.

• 3 weeks later...

Im really sorry to say this but i love nothing here, i have been looking at this topic daily, and i feel jelous of most of you people who are posting what you like and love about thailand to be honest and not to start slagging anyone off, i have to say there is nothing i love about this country or its people, i dont want to go on about my dislikes its just that i have no love, before you all slate me remember that i already know im sad and that im happy for you all who are so in love with thailand

What Do You Love About Thailand?

that I am here and some of you are not :o  :D  :D

There you go again, Gent...but what's this about taking your ill-gotten booty out of Thailand? Thinking of heading back to OZ? Georgie'll miss you... :D

Here are some reasons to love Thailand . Compare it to Britain is a good one :

1. The sky is not always grey

2. You dont get speeding fines 3 times a week from cameras hidden in the undergrowth.

4. You dont get hypothermea everytime you take a shower

5. A one bedroom flat doesnt cost a quarter of a million quid.

6. The environment doesnt look like it is a creation from he#ll

7. You dont have to read the British tabloid press

8. You dont have to watch mindless soaps on TV to get you through the night.

9. You dont have cctv and security guards watching you 24/7 wherever you go

10 . Your govenment arnt nazis

11. You dont have to travel 150 miles to find a whore house.

Id say you have some advantages really.

I was in Bangkok for a month a few months there and took Thai language lessons at Somchart Thai language school - highly recomended.

I loved the fact that the teachers (all 7 of them) were constantly teasing me and trying to embarase me - it makes studying fun.

I also met a cute as a button little Japanese girl there. Her English sucked, so we'd spend a lot of time going to lunch and speaking Thai together - very innocent, but also fun.

I like getting in a taxi and not having to stare at the meter every second to see when I was about to go bankrupt.

Getting up every day and riding on the back of a motorcycle taxi to get my Latte at Starbucks before Thai language class.

Buying a suitcase at the Bangkok night bizzare, and having the pretty shop girl ask for MY phone number!

River taxis.

Being able to have all my clothes washed and ironed.

Fruit vendors.

Being able to speak better Thai then 90% of all the Farang I meet - even people who've lived there for decades (my Thai is not that great - people are just lazy)

I really like the sky train. It makes Bangkok a lot easier to get around than when I lived there.

Im really sorry to say this but i love nothing here, i have been looking at this topic daily, and i feel jelous of most of you people who are posting what you like and love about thailand to be honest and not to start slagging anyone off, i have to say there is nothing i love about this country or its people, i dont want to go on about my dislikes its just that i have no love, before you all slate me remember that i already know im sad and that im happy for you all who are so in love with thailand

Why, oh why are you continuing to stay on in Thailand ?

You are happier than Sweetest Mango, at least. :o

What happened with your girlfriend, by the way?

Im really sorry to say this but i love nothing here,  i have been looking at this topic daily, and i feel jelous of most of you people who are posting what you like and love about thailand to be honest and not to start slagging anyone off, i have to say there is nothing i love about this country or its people, i dont want to go on about my dislikes its just that i have no love, before you all slate me remember that i already know im sad and that im happy for you all who are so in love with thailand

Why, oh why are you continuing to stay on in Thailand ?

Another masochist. Club is getting quite big,.... :o

Im really sorry to say this but i love nothing here,  i have been looking at this topic daily, and i feel jelous of most of you people who are posting what you like and love about thailand to be honest and not to start slagging anyone off, i have to say there is nothing i love about this country or its people, i dont want to go on about my dislikes its just that i have no love, before you all slate me remember that i already know im sad and that im happy for you all who are so in love with thailand

You are happier than Sweetest Mango, at least. :D

What happened with your girlfriend, by the way?

I knew you'd miss old Sweetest Mango Cutey. He had a way about him didn't he ?

Our loss in India's gain. :o