Barking Buddha Dog Store In Australia Irritates Thai Netizens

webfact

Barking Buddha dog store in Australia irritates Thai netizens

By Coconuts Bangkok

150990_328600603923545_1320709622_n.jpg

Photo: Do and Don't on Buddha

BANGKOK: -- A Facebook page in Thailand is up in arms about an Australian dog accessories store that uses “Buddha” in its name.

The public page “Do and Don’t On Buddha” posted a photo condemning Buddha Bar Healing Clinic in newsjs Newton, Australia for inappropriate use of the name of Buddhism’s founder. They were specifically enraged at the name of a dog store connected with the healing clinic called Barking Buddha.

“They have set up Barking Buddha, selling products through the Buddha Bar Store,” wrote the page admin. “Their concept aims to heal their clients to be happy and free but this is not a proper act, especially regarding the products for dogs.”

Barking Buddha says on its website [more...]

Full story: http://www.coconutsb...-thai-netizens/

-- COCONUTS Bangkok 2013-01-30

footer_n.gif

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Buddha Bar in NY is one of my favorite hang outs when in New York. Thai people refere to me as "farang" in all other places in the world outside of Thailand. I am not offended.

And I'm not offended by this barking Buddha dog in Australia.

• Like 1

Maybe some of the people offended by the canine connection to the Lord Buddha might want to take on these folks in Amsterdam.

I am sure the visitors to this company will feel they have achieved nirvana after a little seed.?.Holy smoke!

post-9891-0-74990400-1359517952_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Who cares.

The clue was in the headline...

Exactly, Thai Netizens. My question again Who???

If they would like to get offended by something, they should get offended by all the Thai men with wives and 2 or 3 girlfriends or Thai's with Buddha amulets around their necks, drinking whiskey and smoking cigarettes.

Edited by ThaiRich
  • Like 2

Your right, because we can all pretty much guess what Hitler and the Nazi's would of done with them.

You evidently mean to say "you are right" (commonly abbreviated to you're) but "your right" conveys a different meaning, inferring that it is the poster's right to have an opinion on the subject. Clearly it is his right to have an opinion but that's not what you meant to say is it? Similarly "would have" not "would of"; would of makes no sense at all... glass houses and all that eh?! whistling.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Oh dear - Google Translate........

It's soooo easy (and it never makes mistakes, honest, trust me, never)....

• Like 1

Your right, because we can all pretty much guess what Hitler and the Nazi's would of done with them.

You evidently mean to say "you are right" (commonly abbreviated to you're) but "your right" conveys a different meaning, inferring that it is the poster's right to have an opinion on the subject. Clearly it is his right to have an opinion but that's not what you meant to say is it? Similarly "would have" not "would of"; would of makes no sense at all... glass houses and all that eh?! whistling.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist!

You just validated my comment. Although there were grammar mistakes you were able to understand my post. If you hadn't understood it you wouldn't have been able to correct the grammar.

I'm offended by the Swastika and constantly being referred to as a 'farang' even though I live, work and pay taxes here in Thailand. It offends me, but I'm always welcome to leave Thailand. I choose to grin and bear it. I advise the Thai netizens to do the same.

Why is the word falang offending you? It's basically the Thai equivalent to caucasian!

I'm offended by the Swastika and constantly being referred to as a 'farang' even though I live, work and pay taxes here in Thailand. It offends me, but I'm always welcome to leave Thailand. I choose to grin and bear it. I advise the Thai netizens to do the same.

Why is the word falang offending you? It's basically the Thai equivalent to caucasian!

Doesn't it originally mean French? (Farang-set = France)...

And even if it means caucasian, I find it a little offensive/discriminating to group people according to their race, same with black people, etc...

I don't like picking on Thai people when these kinds of misunderstandings occur. As far as the dog store and bar, we don't know to what extent it is an issue of not understanding western humor, or to what extent it may be possible that someone sincerely tries to bring Buddha spirituality into every aspect of their lives. I think the latter is more possible with the dog store than the bar.

If Thai Buddhists directed their outrage at all the abuses and misuses of Buddhism in Thailand, like the garbage sold at temples in the name of Buddhism, the ridiculous mixing of superstitions with Buddhism that is seen everywhere, and the state-run Buddhist hierarchy and its geriatric nonsense, they would have my support. This kind of petty targetting of foreign takes on the Buddha, however, makes them look like idiots and gets my contempt.

As well monks who aren't ashamed to ORDER meat....twisting the teaching till they can eat the steak and still claim that they would never ever kill any living thing.....

Actually from the teachings of Buddha a HEALING CLINIC (a place that helps living creatures) would deserve the name a lot more than some monks who sell the lottery numbers....

• Like 1

Maybe we should have a thread for all things Buddha related/offensive. Australia and Holland have faced the wrath of the Thais this month for toilet/dog/Buddha related offences. However, after reading the backlash from these 2 incidents i googled the Bhuddist Precepts and this is what I found:

The first five precepts are mandatory for every Buddhist, although the fifth precept is often not observed, because it bans the consumption of alcohol. Precepts no. six to ten are laid out for those in preparation for monastic life and for devoted lay people unattached to families. The eight precepts put together number eight and nine and omit the tenth. Lay people may observe the eight precepts on Buddhist festival days. Ordained Theravada monks undertake no less than 227 precepts, which are not listed here.

I undertake to observe the precept to abstain from ...

1. ...harming living beings.

2. ...taking things not freely given.

3. ...sexual misconduct.

4. ...false speech.

5. ...intoxicating drinks and drugs causing heedlessness.

6. ...taking untimely meals.

7. ...dancing, singing, music and watching grotesque mime.

8. ...use of garlands, perfumes and personal adornment.

9. ...use of high seats.

10. ...accepting gold or silver.

(adapted from The Word of the Buddha, Niyamatolika, The Buddhist Publication Society, 1971, p xii)

Since nearl every Thai I know breaks at least one of the first 5 precepts, I wonder if they should look at cleaning their own house before complaining to another nation?

• Like 1