I Paid My Narawat Bridge Police Tax Today.

rene123

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@rideswings - there is NO turn on left on a red light anywhere in Thailand. Unless there is a sign explicitly allowing it. If you can't read Thai and don't know what that sign looks like (it's one of those small white ones with black text on it) - better stop.

I am not sure what you did there for 30 minutes. I was there about 1 minute before I was on my way to the police station to pay my fine, along with a large group of other people who had to pay their dues. At the station, there's a large list, in English, with fines for different offenses. Running a red light - which is basically what you did - is 400 baht. Most other offenses are 200.

But, when I was there, they let me off with 200 baht, not sure why, maybe they didn't inspect that ticket all that closely. Or because of my nice smile?

You were lucky only 200. I sat in the station for at least 30 minutes after taking a cue number and then being called.

If the law is defaulted to no left on red why do they have a sign at certain intersections that specifically state no left on red? wink.png 20 years I've been turning left on red except where noted otherwise, along with 10's of thousands of Thais and have never been stopped even when there was a cadre of BIB just around the corner. I don't buy that there is a law specifically excluding it unless you can supply me with the law in Thai, no English translation to preclude misinterpretation.

If the law is defaulted to no left on red why do they have a sign at certain intersections that specifically state no left on red? wink.png 20 years I've been turning left on red except where noted otherwise, along with 10's of thousands of Thais and have never been stopped even when there was a cadre of BIB just around the corner. I don't buy that there is a law specifically excluding it unless you can supply me with the law in Thai, no English translation to preclude misinterpretation.

I dont use Apple but this might be good?

http://www.pantip.com/trafficLaw/

But also I am confused if it is just that your questioning what the law default is?

Because it seems they do in fact have a sign there saying no left on red..albeit in Thai

Edited by mania

LOL.

Lots of pictures to complain about being illiterate. rolleyes.gif

This is a popular way to extract fines in Pattaya, too. Though just about all signs are also in English there.

They've also started putting the signs up in Russian too. In Pai the signs for no left turn at red are in English, why can't they do that in Chiang Mai?

LOL.

Lots of pictures to complain about being illiterate. rolleyes.gif

This is a popular way to extract fines in Pattaya, too. Though just about all signs are also in English there.

They've also started putting the signs up in Russian too. In Pai the signs for no left turn at red are in English, why can't they do that in Chiang Mai?

Because it is too lucrative...

Yeah, the 2 tickets I've gotten here in Thailand were both for illegal turns, and both time I never saw a sign until it was pointed out to me. Like duhhhhh! Like you, it's not the fine, which I'd be happy to paid directly to the officer (unfortunately illegal), but it's the time it takes to go to the police station, pay the fine, and wait around until your license shows back up. I do like it when they have the "cashier" close by. Much more convenient. :)

• Like 1

Although I don't really disagree with Winnie, it is easy to fall into the habit of riding or driving like the Thais do... not paying any attention to signs, rules, or traffic lights. I'm scared I might bring back my bad habits to Canada, and the way I ride here. There will be no more riding down between the stopped vehicles, or into oncomming lanes to get to the head of the line at the lights. No more zipping in and out between moving cars either. I think they call that dangerous driving in Canada

Interesting, but here, if you didn't drive like that you'd be driving abnormally. I pretty much do all that, but tend to not zip in and out between moving vehicles. I find you usually catch everyone at the stop light. I just try to get out front, and out-accelerate everyone (Thai are reallllly light on the accelerator coming off the line). Then I put myself in between the mass of vehicles in back of me and the mass of vehicles in front of me, and slow down and enjoy the ride until the next stop light (or person pulling in front of me, u-turner, vehicles on the wrong side of the road, etc). I always consider it lucky to be able to stay in 'the sweet spot' until the next stop light. Rinse and repeat.

You probably have seen this in Canada. At home when I drive and see someone driving down the center line at an erratic speed, with their right turn signal on, and they turn left -- immediately I say, "New Asian Driver". I'm sure that behavior only lasts until after the first or second $350+ ticket. After the second ticket the court would probably make driver education mandatory. wink.png

Edited by connda

There is definately a "wising up" to the fact that a 400bt helmet fine can become quite expensive, and more and more bikers are wearing the helmets. I guess not because of the safety aspect.

At those Huay Kaew lights in the morning last week I counted 28 helmets, and only 1 without, so its having an effect.

But this is at the expense it seems to car/truck drivers as the BIB are pulling them over for the seat belt check (and fine of course) and i fear also the bikers will be scrutinised for licences now, or God forbid low tyre pressure, using mobile handsets to keep the BIBs pockets topped up.

Everytime i drive through one of those checkpoints now, always have a snigger at those pulled up beside the road, and a "twos up" to the BIB "nothing from me today guys"

I get pulled over every once and a while by cops who want to see paperwork. No problem, not even conversation: I just pull out the Thai license, insurance papers, copy of the green book, and point to my yearly tabs adhered to my bike. I've never been pulled over in my car -- I always wear a seat belt. Easy breezy.

I took some pictures this morning of the place I got nabbed by the police.

This was an innocent enough looking intersection. Turn right and theres the bridge, turn left towards Thae Pai Gate. I turned left on red last week and then saw a militia of police right around the corner. They kindly informed me that they were the bridge trolls and there was a 400 baht fine for left turn on red in Thailand. That fact is still debatable. Im not sure what the signs say but I dont see any clear sign saying no left on red light. But I dont read Thai. This is facing north with the bridge on the right.

IMG_1412.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1415.jpg

This is where the cops hang out.

IMG_1416.jpg

If youre guilty you will spend some time here which is 500 meters from the intersection. I spent 30 minutes there.

IMG_1417.jpg

This is on the other side of the bridge facing north. There is a left turn arrow but again I dont see any signs saying no left turn on red light.

IMG_1418.jpg

IMG_1419.jpg

Just over the bridge and past the traffic light is where the police bridge trolls hang out. My blood runds cold here at the end of every month after I cross the bridge.

IMG_1420.jpg

The left turn on to Taphae reads:

Literal:

Vehicle turn left

Please stop. Wait signal light.

In English:

Vehicles turning left. Please stop and wait for the light signal.

The red arrow sign just says: Chiang Mai Traffic Police. If you see this sign, you know you are somewhere where they routinely set up roadblocks.

I'd get use to looking for similar signs at traffic lights. Remember by rote memorization. The only difference is ขวา for right, and ซ้าย for left. In your third picture on the bottom sign, look for ซ้าย. Memorize the characters like you would a picture.

Paid my "tax" today. The police were pulling over nearly every motorbike - Thai and Farang a like and coming up with reasons to charge us. Mine was the left turn on a red light. Sigh. I suppose stay away from Narawat on Saturdays!

Paid my "tax" today. The police were pulling over nearly every motorbike - Thai and Farang a like and coming up with reasons to charge us. Mine was the left turn on a red light. Sigh. I suppose stay away from Narawat on Saturdays!

But....the reason to charge you was a valid one not a tax/tea money etc.

Roll the dice pay the price. Same anywhere when you break a law & your caught.

Except here it cost you like $12 instead of $50-$100...no increase in insurance premiums & no loss of right

to drive after you amass enough points against you for breaking driving laws.

I guess you could as you say "stay away" or learn the law/rule from it & not have

to pay it next time.

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

The sign says essentially, "Wait for the light." If ya can't read it - opps! But like I said, memorize the signs by rote memory. Left turn are legal in Thailand at most stop lights, as is turning right from a one-way on to a road with traffic moving from left to right -- except if there is a sign saying not too.

Caught once -- shame on them (for not posting a sign in English)

Caught twice -- shame on you for not educating yourself!

I took some pictures this morning of the place I got nabbed by the police.

This was an innocent enough looking intersection. Turn right and theres the bridge, turn left towards Thae Pai Gate. I turned left on red last week and then saw a militia of police right around the corner. They kindly informed me that they were the bridge trolls and there was a 400 baht fine for left turn on red in Thailand. That fact is still debatable. Im not sure what the signs say but I dont see any clear sign saying no left on red light. But I dont read Thai. This is facing north with the bridge on the right.

IMG_1412.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1415.jpg

This is where the cops hang out.

IMG_1416.jpg

If youre guilty you will spend some time here which is 500 meters from the intersection. I spent 30 minutes there.

IMG_1417.jpg

This is on the other side of the bridge facing north. There is a left turn arrow but again I dont see any signs saying no left turn on red light.

IMG_1418.jpg

IMG_1419.jpg

Just over the bridge and past the traffic light is where the police bridge trolls hang out. My blood runds cold here at the end of every month after I cross the bridge.

IMG_1420.jpg

The left turn on to Taphae reads:

Literal:

Vehicle turn left

Please stop. Wait signal light.

In English:

Vehicles turning left. Please stop and wait for the light signal.

The red arrow sign just says: Chiang Mai Traffic Police. If you see this sign, you know you are somewhere where they routinely set up roadblocks.

I'd get use to looking for similar signs at traffic lights. Remember by rote memorization. The only difference is ขวา for right, and ซ้าย for left. In your third picture on the bottom sign, look for ซ้าย. Memorize the characters like you would a picture.

nearly caught me last week,but he was arguing with a tuk tuk driver,he had stopped so i reversed back to the lights quick,and he must have forgoten me when i came round on to thape rd on green,phew lucky.

The sign says essentially, "Wait for the light." If ya can't read it - opps! But like I said, memorize the signs by rote memory. Left turn are legal in Thailand at most stop lights, as is turning right from a one-way on to a road with traffic moving from left to right -- except if there is a sign saying not too.

no, the reverse is true. It is illegal to turn left on a red light unless there is a sign to say you can "with caution", and it is a blue sign with a white "turn left" arrow.