Thailand Pleads Case For Hosting World Expo 2020

webfact

Kingdom pleads case for hosting World Expo 2020

BAMRUNG AMNATCHAROENRIT

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- Thailand yesterday argued its case for hosting the World Expo 2020, amid a controversy over the country's possible disqualification as a candidate for failure to meet certain key criteria.

On Tuesday, nine delegates of the Bureau International des Expositions (BIE) Enquiry Mission met with Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, and some sources said her pitch failed to impress them. However, Chiruit Isarangkun Na Ayuthaya, director for domestic MICE (meetings, incentives, conventions and exhibitions) of the Thailand Convention and Exhibition Bureau (TCEB), argued that the outcome of the meeting was positive.

The BIE Enquiry Mission's official visit to Thailand began on Monday and ends tomorrow.

Some media have reported that the chance of Thailand hosting the event is fragile. One criterion the country is reportedly weak on is a commitment to provide free support to underdeveloped nations exhibiting at the expo. Also, there may be a lack of cohesive effort from state agencies on streamlining visa regulations and custom duties.

Yesterday, the TCEB invited the media to visit Ayutthaya, the proposed venue for the expo. Thongchai Sridama, the bureau's acting president, did not appear at the event, claiming illness. On the same day, BIE Enquiry Mission members announced cancellation of their plan to meet with the media today, citing their tight schedule.

Today, they will meet with Opposition Leader Abhisit Vejjajiva. The Kingdom's Expo 2020 bid was his brainchild while he was prime minister. It is one of the BIE's criteria that all major parties support the event.

During the visit, the delegates will also talk with private-sector representatives, civil-society groups and other concerned stakeholders.

They will consider 14 issues identified in Thailand's Bidding Dossier. One of the key items is the government's mechanism for event management and community support. Chiruit is confident that Thailand is qualified on all of the issues. Also, a simple way of life is a strong point of the Kingdom under the proposed theme of "Redefine Globalisation: Balanced Life, Sustainable Living".

Thailand will compete head-on with four other candidates, Dubai, Brazil, Turkey and Russia. Turkey is considered to have a competitive advantage because it has bid for a World Expo before, and knows how to lobby the BIE members to vote for it. Brazil is also accepted internationally for its ability to organise international events like the soccer World Cup. Dubai is internationally well known. For Thailand, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs will play a key role in lobbying members to vote for the country.

Thailand is the first nation on the BIE delegates' inspection tour.

The government expects to spend Bt40 billion to prepare the historic city of Ayutthaya to host the expo. It projects a Bt60-billion boost to the economy from the event but, more important, it would be a platform to promote the Kingdom in the international arena.

Ayutthaya is prepared to set aside 2,400 rai (384 hectares) for the main venue, along with 2,000 rai for related uses and 800 rai for the Bangsai Arts and Crafts Centre. Highway improvements are under way to connect it with other cities.

Thailand will make another presentation of its bid this June. The winner will be announced in November.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-31

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif You mean THAILAND is bidding for a DROWNING EXPO....cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

There are so many infrastructure deficiencies in this country as well as complicated issues such as Visa regulations, etc, and "haven't-you-ever-heard-offs in government-lost-in-translation-terms that will be very confusing for the international communities who would be coming here, only to become frustrated by the "Thai Way" of handling problems for the sake of SAVING FACE.

Other issues that come into factor:

1. ENGLISH, 90% or more in Thailand don't speak it, don't bother with, won't EVER bother with it, don't have a motivation to speak it or learn it.

2. Education in Thailand as a general scope compared to other nations, SUCKS, no matter how many promises or short term attractive-on-the-surface-looking-programs the ministries promise, it will ALWAYS SUCK, and kids will always be MIND PROGRAMMED to FOLLOW ORDERS, AND NOT THINK; COMMON SENSE IS GETTING ERADICATED OUT OF THEIR MINDS, it will heavily affect their social behavior and acceptance towards people from different cultures with different points of views. And BESIDES, getting a beating by teachers in Thai government kindergartens and schools from an early age onwards, (something that I witnessed as a volunteer English teacher), kids will grow up becoming violent and resenting TEACHERS, PARENTS, and LEARNING anyway.

3. Referring to point two, social and multicultural behavior with common sense is EXACTLY what is VITAL, but LACKING in a FACE SAVING ORIENTED AND STATUS CONCERNED SOCIETY like Thailand; in short people in power BLOODMONEY-BUY their way to power with cheating and corruption by all means even if it means MURDERING SOMEONE; I guess the WORLD EXPO committee has also read about a couple of articles, with cases of political or Stardom murder cases, which include "accidental murder" by gun shots, intended murder by speeding cars or a shooting in underground parking lot.

4. Oh yes, and don't forget natural disasters like floods and heavy rains, in the coming years Thailand is gonna be known as FLOODY-WOOD if the government keeps on protecting Bangkok and keeps on SH*****TLOADING on other provinces LIKE AYUTTHAYA WHERE THE EXPO IS PLANNED TO TAKE PLACE by their Megaprojects which will never be finished because the taxpayers money always goes to politicians first right under the table...

Talk about Expo, I'd rather prefer to say EXPO(sed) cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by MaxLee
  • Like 2

It would be a very sick man to take this bid serious.

The political situation in Thailand would not allow it.

I highly doubt that the BIE would consider a nation that has protests at the drop of a hat and the government actively supports some of them if the color is red and if not suppresses them. I am quite sure that political reliability would be high on there list of priorities.

Also the current Government has not really done any thing to make that country safe from flooding. The only thing being done there is for industry and a lot of it industry is footing the bill out of knowledge of the governments uselessness and self preservation.

On a positive note Thailand has the knowledge to pull it off. The question being would they be using it as a guideline or more concerned with filling there own pockets resulting in inferior workmanship and products.

Thailand has the people that can speak English to pull it off as well as some other languages and by 2020 there will be more. The big hang up with language would be do they have the people who could speak the various Chinese dialects?

I for one would love to see it happen. I was in Seattle when they had there 1961 exposition it gave Seattle a huge boost and the grounds are still being used for various uses. Most famous the space needle.

How ever this Government is showing no interest in the project. It is more important to them to white wash the PMs brother and let him set up a dictatorship. All though they won't admit it all there actions speak for themselves.

Spelling and a slight rewrite.

Edited by hellodolly
  • Like 1

Thailand is very good at running the con. They are great "hustlers." Double talk, blackmail, ratting out each other, coverups, bribery, corruption, law breaking with impunity, no standards and regulations..and on and on. Yet they consistently are able to fool the outside world. Everyone knows but they fail to accept the obvious. It is a land of hustlers, shakedown artists, and con men. Everything is for sale and once the money is in, it's open season on the grab. Give them the World Expo and repeat the same thing expecting the results to be different.

• Like 2

It's a great idea, good for the economy, world perceptions of Thailand, employment, everything.................How can you guys be so consistently and constantly anti anything that could be good for thye kingdom ???

• Like 1

.............How can you guys be so consistently and constantly anti anything that could be good for thye kingdom ???

Experience?

Don't get me wrong I am in no way calling anyone a pig, I'll leave my ex-wife out of this, just a comparison. You can dress up a pig in an Armani suit and Stuart Weitzman shoes, but underneath it's still a pig.

Now Davy boy don't get your nose in a twist this is another satire post.

Edited by Pimay1

I don't know. I think Thailand could be ready by then. What with the high speed train and BTS extensions all completed by then. Traffic congestion will be greatly reduced as motorists commute to work by mass transit. A lot more people will be speaking English by then. Who knows, corruption might even be in check. 8 years is a long time......

.............oh, who am I kidding sad.png

• Like 1

Remember a few years ago when this Expo bid was being proposed that Pattaya was raising it's hand to compete against Ayuthya to be the Thai bidder.

A big chuck of land out the back of Pattay and down the road a bit was the proposal, and so Pattaya could bid in confidence that the land would be available the local authorities bought it with tax payer monies.

Now the swamp was an ear marked World Expo 2020 site it shot up in value of course, before the sale.....

I don't know. I think Thailand could be ready by then. What with the high speed train and BTS extensions all completed by then. Traffic congestion will be greatly reduced as motorists commute to work by mass transit. A lot more people will be speaking English by then. Who knows, corruption might even be in check. 8 years is a long time......

.............oh, who am I kidding sad.png

Thailand is long way from playing international host to any exhibition.... Security, corruption among the police, attitude to foreigners, double price systems for locals and foreigners.... Language barriers!

I think they have a lot of laundry to do first and I don't mean washing thier money. If you want to host a world expo then 1st you have to get yourself up to world standard and not the Thai equivelent of world standard. You will need a body of people who have Thailands interest and not self interest and how much money you can scoop off in this, to run the show. Start cleaning your house and get rid of corruption from top to bottom in all areas then put in an application for 2075 and you may have an outside chance.

• Like 1

It's a great idea, good for the economy, world perceptions of Thailand, employment, everything.................How can you guys be so consistently and constantly anti anything that could be good for thye kingdom ???

Read the posts agaijn we are all on your side. It would be great as I pointed out in my post but if you look at the whole picture you will see it is a great idea but unatainable given the state iof the political situation here in Thailand. The people's reactions are really unknown some huge protests are allowed and small ones not well it was allowed but actively discoureged with over the top security measures.

I hear talk of a coup which I highly doubt would happen but it still shows the instability of the country. The people doing the choosing are not saying well that is OK because in 7 years Thailand will change. They are not basing there decision on a crystal ball. They look at Thailand today and see a country with a government that is possed with the idea of white washing the PMs brother. They don't give a sh-t if Thaksin never comes back or not. They are looking at the infrastructure this they are going to take into consideration that there is work to be done and the host will do it.

What they see is a flood prone area with no plans to water proof it. The only work being done is by the Industries them selves. They are not stupid people they know that the years of hands on experience the Dutch have is far and away superior the the Thai academics who never get of there campus. Give them credit for average intelligence if not better. On the other hand if Thaksin sees enough money into his pocket he will try to buy them. I have no idea if they can be bought or not. But I would highly doubt it the competing countries would certainly make a lot of noise and they would find themselves in a very uncomfortable situation.

In closing we all want it but many of us are being realistic about it unlike the government.

• Like 1

I hope they get it. If only because they'd have to clean things up.

i.e. At a World Expo, each country would need lots of their own nationals to have work permits, and without the crappy rules about supervising 4 Thais, or huge amounts of capital.

At a World Expo, you can't charge different prices based on nationality (or as usually happens, the colour of your skin).

Each country is responsible for it's own section, so expect whatever building companiea are involved to have foreign oversight of the progress. i.e. Any delays should get picked up on a lot faster than they were with the Futsal stadium, although obviouly, there would be a dependency on infrastructure (roads, sewerage, water, electricity supplies) so there's still a possibility of delays.

Where other countries either have the expertise, gained by real education, or they re willing to import professionals fro certain projects . . . Thailand doesn't and wouldn't.

It's unfortunate that Thailand is riddled with corruption, this lies at the heart of most of the country's ills

• Like 2

Great idea that about having the Expo 2020 in Ayuthaya. Look forward to visiting it in 2025. smile.png

They could start by building lots of hotels in Ayuthya in anticipation of the event... (worked in ChiangMai, didn't it)

That'll be ready then by the time they move the capital back there . . . cos BKK will be under water by then apparently.