Yorkshire Pudding

phutoie2

Anyone like to share their ideas on Yorkshire pudding?. I 've had two goes now and both attempts sort of so-so, certainly not like my old Mums ones from blighty.

My (old) Be-Ro cook book states you should cook the mixture in dripping or lard?, I just use a light cooking oil.

Not sure that would make a huge difference, maybe its just my batter!

I use veg oil. When I used to use local white flour they were never good. My local supermarket then started stocking Aus and UK plain flour and they now turn out great. Make sure your oven is actually reaching the correct temp as well, a lot of the cheaper ovens here are hit and miss with temp control.

The key thing with making Yorkshire puddings is to make sure that the oven is fully up to temperature (220 C), and that the metal tray (must be metal) and oil or fat are then left in there for about 15 minutes to become blazingly hot. The mixture, when you add it, should spit and sizzle - if it doesn't, things just aren't hot enough.

If using oil, make sure it's one with a high smoke point - lots of oils will break down and smoke at 220 C. Palm, sunflower and peanut oils should all be OK.

The key thing with making Yorkshire puddings is to make sure that the oven is fully up to temperature (220 C), and that the metal tray (must be metal) and oil or fat are then left in there for about 15 minutes to become blazingly hot. The mixture, when you add it, should spit and sizzle - if it doesn't, things just aren't hot enough.

If using oil, make sure it's one with a high smoke point - lots of oils will break down and smoke at 220 C. Palm, sunflower and peanut oils should all be OK.

Totally agreed. The secret to Yorkshire puds is HOT HOT HOT.

When you take the baking tray out of the oven, to put the mixture in the very HOT oil, place it on a gas hob with the gas on high to maintain the temperature. The extreme outside edged will be already cooked by the time you get the tray back in the HOT oven.

As the others have said HOT HOT HOT!

And local flour isn't great, try and get something imported and I always let the batter stand for 30-40 minutes before a final blast in the blender then into pre oiled & heated baking tray.

I would argue with the metal tray statement as I now use silicone and actually believe they turn out as good if not slightly better, otherwise I agree HOT, HOT, HOT.

Try a ceramic dish as it holds the heat better when it's out the oven. Use duck fat for a better flavour. As other posters have said HOT HOT HOT.

7/11 sell packs of frankfurter style cocktail sausages with maybe a dozen of them in the pack. Toad in the hole? I've made it a couple of times at a friends house (I don't have an oven), it's not going to win any awards but it's ok with a nice thick onion gravy. Kids love it anyway.

Edited by notmyself

Try a ceramic dish as it holds the heat better when it's out the oven. Use duck fat for a better flavour. As other posters have said HOT HOT HOT.

7/11 sell packs of frankfurter style cocktail sausages with maybe a dozen of them in the pack. Toad in the hole? I've made it a couple of times at a friends house (I don't have an oven), it's not going to win any awards but it's ok with a nice thick onion gravy. Kids love it anyway.

Oh how I love onion gravy but no naked flames anywhere near me once I have ingested. I make toad with sausages I get from the local butchers and my partner loves them , calls them sausage cakes.

• Like 1

Oh how I love onion gravy but no naked flames anywhere near me once I have ingested. I make toad with sausages I get from the local butchers and my partner loves them , calls them sausage cakes.

Easy dinner and good practice for the OP as the sausages can be eaten even if the pudding fails to rise. I really should get an oven.

Use equal amounts of flour, milk and eggs by volume not weight plus a good pinch of salt. I use a tea cup as a measure. The flour should be plain, bread flour or general purpose flour, never use self raising flour. The liquid can be 50% milk and 50% beer or all beer, it gives a more robust flavour. Sieve the flour but hold the sieve high above the bowl to trap as much air as possible.. After whisking all together put into fridge for about 30 minutes. I use a muffin style dish for about 12 individual puddings, add a high temp fat or oil to the dish and preheat the oven and the dish with the oil to about 220C. When the oil is HOT take the dish out and if available place on a heated hob to maintain the temp and add the mixture after a quick whisk. Individual puddings take about 25-30 minutes. For Toad in the Hole, put the raw sausages into a roasting tin and cook for about 15 minutes at 220C in a pre heated oven. Add the mixture quickly to maining the heat and bake for a further 40 minutes. Individual puddings freeze well, I put them into a freezer bag and then reheat them from frozen in a preheated oven for about 4 minutes just as the roast has finished. I have success everytime following these method.

• Like 1

As above equal flower eggs and splash of milk

Shove mix in fridge for 20-30 mins

1cm of cooking oil in muffin pans really hot, should sizzle straight away. Once in I crack nutmeg and pepper on lids after about 15 mins in oven.

Edited by stiggy

Use equal amounts of flour, milk and eggs by volume not weight

Funnily enough, Yorkshire pudding was one of the problem items for contestants on last night's Masterchef Australia. Marco Pierre White suggested exactly these proportions, so they must be good.

Measuring cup? Start with the eggs, break them into a measuring cup. Record the volume and make everything else match. Easy or did I miss something?

Edited by wayned

Funnily enough, Yorkshire pudding was one of the problem items for contestants on last night's Masterchef Australia. Marco Pierre White suggested exactly these proportions, so they must be good.

Marco Pierre White is a genuine Yorkshireman having been born in Leeds. He's also a Michelin rated chef (although I understand he returned his Michelin stars when he joined the media circus) no doubt Marco makes a mean Yorkshire pud.

Weight I can understand - how do I calculate the volume to use ?

Just fill a small container, cup, glass etc to the top with each ingredient and then you have the same volume for each.

Use equal amounts of flour, milk and eggs by volume not weight plus a good pinch of salt. I use a tea cup as a measure. The flour should be plain, bread flour or general purpose flour, never use self raising flour. The liquid can be 50% milk and 50% beer or all beer, it gives a more robust flavour. Sieve the flour but hold the sieve high above the bowl to trap as much air as possible.. After whisking all together put into fridge for about 30 minutes. I use a muffin style dish for about 12 individual puddings, add a high temp fat or oil to the dish and preheat the oven and the dish with the oil to about 220C. When the oil is HOT take the dish out and if available place on a heated hob to maintain the temp and add the mixture after a quick whisk. Individual puddings take about 25-30 minutes. For Toad in the Hole, put the raw sausages into a roasting tin and cook for about 15 minutes at 220C in a pre heated oven. Add the mixture quickly to maining the heat and bake for a further 40 minutes. Individual puddings freeze well, I put them into a freezer bag and then reheat them from frozen in a preheated oven for about 4 minutes just as the roast has finished. I have success everytime following these method.

Hmmm. Can we all come round for dinner?? I can see, smell and taste my old Mum's massive Sunday Yorkshire puds. Thanks for posting this.