Should I Do A Tour Package? (Young Solo Traveler)

LionMG

I'm a young solo traveler visiting Thailand for the first time in April, and I'm trying to decide if I want to have a tour guide or not. Or even try to contact a group of young like-minded travelers beforehand to hang out. I don't think I'd enjoy myself if I visit a cultural destination by myself and wander around aimlessly. I'd rather have someone to share it with and who I can talk and ask questions to.

I'm also considering instead trying online dating and having my date act as my tour guide which might make things more enjoyable. Profiles looking for friendship/cultural exchange.

I'm looking for excitement, great food and some culture. Mainly excitement though - I'm someone who prefers fun activities over sight-seeing/educational. But I'd like to do some cultural sight-seeing too.

I'll be in Bangkok on April 3rd.

If I do a private/group tour I'm thinking it's something I'd set up for my second or third day there. The 1st day I'd unwind and explore by myself.

I'd appreciate any comments!

Missing two peaces of information:

- how long will you stay in Thailand?

- are you bound to BKK (i.e. due to existing hotel reservation) or do you want to travel?

With regards to online websites, their are plenty, but for a "date" acting as tour guide, expect to have a daily rate associated with... you could put some adds on craigslist when time comes...

No go do your own thing plan where you want to go in thailand and do it, you will find this much better

than being tied down to one tour guide as you put it and paying for one tour guide.

I like variety and when young man in thailand live it up!

remember life is like a box of chocolates the next one tastes even better.

You should check out couchsurfing. There are loads of travellers on there and there are regular meet ups all over Thailand with like minded travellers who all have different stories to tell. They do a weekly meet up in Bangkok and then there are always people posting int he forums asking if anyone fancies meeting up to check out a certain place or anyone who fancies an adventure to somewhere.

As for tour packages. They're cool if you want to do stuff within a certain amount of time but they do limit the amount of time and freedom you have to spend at one place/landmark etc.

If I was you, I'd arrive in Thailand and then weigh up your options once you're there. There are plenty of travellers in the Khao San Road area of BKK and loads of hotels/hostels to choose from that don't need to be pre-booked beforehand. Also you will surely meet other solo travellers a long the way. This is what i did when I first came to Thailand.

Can't help with the online dating thing as I've never done it.

Have fun though!

Not 100% sure what kind of a tour you are looking for. Exploring the entire country for a few weeks or just a day trip or two out of Bangkok???

Best of luck with dating websites...many Thais don't travel much. So other than the language issue (which is really NO issue at all), not sure how much they'd help.

My recommendation is to get a guide book, decide what you want to do and just do it.

Khao San Road would be your best place to stay. Every guest house has a variety of tours...most full of young travelers like yourself...and most are not what they seem. Plenty of scams there. I know, I've been had a few times there....

Travbuddy is also good for finding people visiting the same city at the same time. Lots of cool normal people. Sometimes you kind find meetup groups in the city you are visiting. Or look on your countries Thai forums for travel companions and try to organize a meet up.

I think tours are a bad idea. Packaging anything usually waters down the experience. Instead try to read reviews and stay at social young hotels/hostels and you can book trips with other people. If you are planning on staying for a long time you can take a toefl course. I met some great friends that way that I've kept in touch with over the years.

My first few visits to Thailand I always did stuff like that and had great experiences even when solo. Good luck.

Thanks guys, I think I'll avoid the tours. I'll just play it by ear. I have an entire month... so if something isn't working, I can always try something else.

That is exactly what you should do.

Go to a bar and you will start chatting to others your age. You will hear lots of stories of what to do and what to avoid. May even end up going with your new friends on the next adventure.

Just go with the flow and you'll wake up somewhere new and wonderful each day.

Have fun.

Not 100% sure what kind of a tour you are looking for. Exploring the entire country for a few weeks or just a day trip or two out of Bangkok???

Best of luck with dating websites...many Thais don't travel much. So other than the language issue (which is really NO issue at all), not sure how much they'd help.

My recommendation is to get a guide book, decide what you want to do and just do it.

Khao San Road would be your best place to stay. Every guest house has a variety of tours...most full of young travelers like yourself...and most are not what they seem. Plenty of scams there. I know, I've been had a few times there....

Second this. I think this is good advice.

Note especially the bit on Thais and travelling.

Thais, in particular people you can meet through a dating site, know very little about Thailand (except from their home village).

When I say "about Thailand" that includes, history, geography, politics, public administration, the lot.

Yeh don't travel with a Thai female, forget that. Do it lonely planet style off the beaten track, you'll easily meet other folk and next thing you know there's a small group of you having some great times!

Edited by enyaw

If you are even the least bit sociable you will have little or no problem in meeting some fellow backpacker young types to travel around with...many of them will have been in Thailand for a while and know the ropes somewhat. The first thing you should do is READ a LOT about Thailand and make sure you end up in a guesthouse or hotel with a lot of other young backpacker types....many guest houses have a lounge area to hang out and finding people to travel around with is as simple as asking who is going where or doing what. You will no doubt meet people from all over the world and some will be wonderful and some will be complete idiots...choose carefully and if you end up with the idiots move on quickly.

In my opinion trying to find a 'guide" on internet dating sites is almost surely a recipe for problems/hassles though i suppose anything COULD be possible. But hopefully you are aware that many of the people on the dating sites are not exactly what they represent themselves to be....I would be extremely careful about "hiring" a tour guide from a dating site and expect it to turn out well.

A good start would be sites that backpackers use...

Try this one http://www.travelfish.org/country/thailand

• Like 1

Go to a bar and you will start chatting to others your age.

But don't become a tourist that spends a month in an air con room because some 'princess' (or prince) who has fallen madly in love with you doesn't like the heat, but she'll gladly drag you around the air con malls at night........and that's all you'll see.

• Like 1