Facebook Privacy

Route21

I've just received the attached note from a Facebook family member who implies that, despite you restricting your posts to FRIENDS ONLY", if they "like" or "comment" on your post, it is immediately broadcast to all THEIR FRIENDS (of whom you may have no knowledge/control!) and potentially the world.

Your info is then in the public domain, whether you like it or not.

They propose a solution to stop your posts being indirectly shared with "friends of friends" (and thence the rest of the world), based on using a mouse but, if you use a smart phone, you may not have the availabilty of a mouse.

Does anyone know how to stop "friends of friends" seeing and indirectly sharing your posts with the rest of the world in such cicumstances (or others) if you're using a device such as a smart without a mouse?

Regards

R21

post-77561-13596193994564_thumb.jpg

Yeah, there is a sure-fire way to prevent this from happening; completely delete your FaceButt account. The terms "Facebook" and "privacy" are mutually exclusive.

I completely deleted by FaceButt account over 2 years ago, and I am a much happier person as a result.

• Like 2

Not really true. Best to familiarise yourself with your FB settings. If you uses some kind of mobile device/ application you need to check your settings there. If there would be really such a problem, it would be something to do with an apparent inability to control your settings on such a device.

If you use a standard browser and you know what you're doing it should be reasonably safe.

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

Not really true. Best to familiarise yourself with your FB settings. If you uses some kind of mobile device/ application you need to check your settings there. If there would be really such a problem, it would be something to do with an apparent inability to control your settings on such a device.

If you use a standard browser and you know what you're doing it should be reasonably safe.

You're only focusing on the "front end" privacy considerations. If you believe ZuckerDork isn't selling your FaceButt info on the "back-end", I have some excellent used Pet Rocks and Magic Crystals to sell you at a steep premium...
  • Like 1

Yeah, there is a sure-fire way to prevent this from happening; completely delete your FaceButt account. The terms "Facebook" and "privacy" are mutually exclusive.

I completely deleted by FaceButt account over 2 years ago, and I am a much happier person as a result.

Apart from liking this post I did the same. I encourage everyone to do the same.They are indeed mutually exclusive.

On all these social networking sites face book, arsebook etc, one should use a false e-mail address

and supply false information so tracking is practically impossible. NEVER give personal information on to these websites. You are responsibe for what you put on the internet

There is enough problems with spam. Accounts may not be able to be deleted along with the information contained within them.

Edited by electau

On all these social networking sites face book, arsebook etc, one should use a false e-mail address .......

I don't believe you can sign up with a false email address, as, if I remember rightly, they send you an email, to which you have to reply before they allow you to sign up.

If you sign up with a valid email, but are actually subsequently able to change it to a false one, or simply cancel your previous email, and then forget your password, I believe you have just lost access to/control over your Facebook account?

R21

Not really true. Best to familiarise yourself with your FB settings.....

Yes. My wife and I both use Facebook to share what's going on with all our friends and relatives, worldwide. It's so easy and convenient.

Although we both restrict distribution to "friends only", we try not to post anything that would create problems if distributed more widely. We would similarly not share or comment publically on a "friend's" objectionable post. It's also possible to "protect" a source by using an appropriately cropped screenshot and cut & paste.

You can set the system to ensure that you vet postings before they appear on your wall and, if a "friend" starts posting/sharing objectional matter - it's "adios amigo"!

I'm satisfied that I have sufficient control over what needs to be kept private vs what isn't a problem.

R21

• Like 1

If anyone has an interest in seeing photos of my wife, family, farm and out and about pics ....... they are most welcome to look.

Why would I worry?

The only person who might worry about a TV members Facebook page would possibly be their "ex", when they see how pleasant life out here can be.

:D:D:D

Regards

R21

• Like 2