Officials To Inspect Business Licenses Of All Foreigner Owned Tourism Businesses In Phuket

george

farang owned tour businesses eh?

next it will be farang owned restaurants... farang owned bars... farang owned guesthouses...

That’s always been my complaint about living here in Thailand there are far too many aliens in this country, time they all went home and left Thailand to us Thais only.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

next it will be farang owned restaurants... farang owned bars... farang owned guesthouses...

That’s always been my complaint about living here in Thailand there are far too many aliens in this country, time they all went home and left Thailand to us Thais only.

I agree! And all those Thais that live in other countries, lets kick them back to Thailand too. In fact lets have all the countries in the world make it illegal to live in another country full stop.

Apparently free enterprise competition=causing trouble, in Thailand.

ASEAN here we come!

It's the same the world over. In the UK, many want to get rid of immigrants that are legally working there. They think they take their jobs and want them gone. They don't believe in free enterprise. Many people just want to protect themselves. They don't agree with free enterprise at all. Even at a local level, they don't agree with a similar company opening in the same street, even if it's run by a UK citizen, as they say they were there first and no-one should be allowed to come ans steal their customers, or their job. This isn't a Thai problem; it happens all over the world. Just look at Greece - they beat foreigners up in the street because they don't want them there - even if they are tourists. Yes, Thailand has problems, but don't forget that many other countries have similar, or worse problems.

You mean the British police and mafia keep taxi prices high for indigenous British people?

Quite clearly British people can't compete with cheap labour from around the world and don't want unlimited immigration as i damages their standard of living.

Your analogy is utterly bizarre, wrong and outright brainless and could come right from the Guardians comments forum.

No, it's the government that keep prices high for British people by not allowing free trade. Free trade is allowed in some industries but not others. Personally, I think people should be allowed to work, travel and live wherever they want in the world. The world should be for all people. Not for government, mafia, and the select few.

British people don't want competition, because they are too lazy. I know Polish builders that charge £50/hour. There's no reason why a British builder can't compete with that. But they still complain. The majority are too lazy to do a hard day's work and get the job done. I've hired plenty of both, and the differences are vast. I'd rather pay more for a Polish builder because I know the job will be done on time and will be of high quality. With most British builders, they will give flimsy excuses about why they can only work 30 mins a day (lost my screwdriver, LOL). They can compete, but they won't. SO they complain. That is exactly what the Thais are doing in this case. The situations are the same.

When the 2004 tsunami hit Phuket, all the Aliens did leave, and did stop coming. Thai's begged Aliens to return, so we did. Seems like your fellow countrymen do not share your view. I think money may have something to do with it. :) :)

• Like 2

@ davejones

Many say they will leave Phuket - not Thailand. A lot of problems on Phuket do not exist in other provinces of Thailand.

Many of the Phuket Germans and Scandi's have already moved to Hua Hin.

It's the way Phuket is being "managed" - not Thailand, that is causing some problems at the local level.

That is fair enough. But many keep saying they are moving and then go on to give examples of better countries. And their complaints seem to be about Thais in general, not just Phuket. I have lived in many towns around the world that I didn't like, so I just left. I didn't complain endlessly on forums about the towns. It's simple enough to move to another town or country, so I don't know why people constantly complain. If things are wrong, just move. I doubt things will change any time soon, so don't see what these people have to gain by constantly complaining. Seems like complaining makes them happy. Seems like a pretty sad life to be complaining every day instead of doing something about it.

@ davejones

You've NEVER been to Phuket???????? How would you know what effect the lack of transport and the Thai mafia have here on people if you have never been here.

Tourists, expats and locals would give their right arm for metered taxis like you have in Bangkok. It would fix many of the island's problems, overnight. The fact Phuket doesn't have them means Phuket may as well be in another country.

Maybe you should stick to posting on the Bangkok forum.

Phuket has a lot of "issues" at the local level that is effecting everyone who lives here, some more than others, but still a negative effect.

Come to Phuket for a week and then post of your experience here getting around the island. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

The reason I haven't left already is I still like it here.

I think you have missed my point. I have no desire to visit Phuket. All I'm saying is that if things are so bad, then you have the option to move to another area of Thailand. Why stay in the one area that has all the problems? I was pointing out that I had a good experience living in Bangkok in response to those that keep suggesting other countries to live. I'm saying don't leave Thailand, just move to a part of Thailand that doesn't have all the problems than many keep constantly harping on about. If you prefer to stay and try to change Phuket, then good luck with that.

Edited by davejones

And on the cause of the grievance from the locals towards the tour companies? Why can the governor, now that the subject is once again in the open, use his authority and impose a set taxi fare across the board for all companies to follow, with a proper complaint system in place for people who think they have been wronged?

Check the family relation between either the Governor of Phuket or the Mayor of Patong (can't remember which one) and then the person who runs the taxi mafia, then you will have the answer :-)

Yeah, of course. British people being protectionist and racist is different from Thais doing the same thing.

I knew this thread would be a laugh a minute.

But the British aren't being protected, his analogy is utterly ridiculous.

Try going to Blackpool, Brighton, Bournemouth and you will see the local police and mafia are not colluding to keep taxi prices artificially higher for British taxi drivers.

COMPRENDE?

The British people are being protected by he government, who are against free trade. Most British people constantly complaint about immigrants taking their jobs, The fact is that many British people (3-5 million) are too lazy to work.

When the 2004 tsunami hit Phuket, all the Aliens did leave, and did stop coming. Thai's begged Aliens to return, so we did. Seems like your fellow countrymen do not share your view. I think money may have something to do with it. smile.pngsmile.png

Money has everything to do with it.

Thailand is not a grazing ground for the destitute populations of the West as an escape destination from they’re mundane lives, or those seeking to earn income by wheeling and dealing.

The bottom line is that Thailand only welcomes foreigners that are going to give and not take, will benefit the country and not cause any problems.

These are the facts that too many farangs are unable to comprehend or get through into their thick skulls. Thailand is not a Multi racial, multi cultural country as such as in other countries. How Thais are treated in other countries is totally irrelevant, as each nation has it`s own different attitudes, laws and policies. If a foreigner believes that a system is fairer abroad, than go there instead, as today even the furthest destinations are only 12 hours away.

These days, sadly, it`s all about money, because no one is going to give us everything. The Thais are deadly serious when they say; no money, no honey, and again I will repeat, take all this into consideration become plonking yourselves here.

Edited by Beetlejuice

UPDATE

Crackdown begins on illegal foreigners in Phuket

Tanyaluk Sakoot

pol.jpg

Maj Gen Choti Chavalviwat, Commander of Phuket Provincial Police.

PHUKET: -- Twelve foreigners, including people from Australia, Finland, Indonesia, Myammar, and the UK, were arrested yesterday (January 31) for working illegally in the island’s tourism industry, police said.

Their arrests came as Maj Gen Choti Chavalviwat, Commander of Phuket Provincial Police, announced an investigation into tour agencies, massage parlous and restaurants, as well as other businesses which are foreign owned or employ many foreign staff. This was prompted by a protest on Monday in Bang Tao by Thai businesspeople, who said illegal foreign businesses were undercutting the market.

The Department of Labour, in conjunction with Phuket Immigration and the Phuket Police, started checking companies yesterday (January 31) based on random checks or tip-offs from the public.

The main focus will be on businesses that are foreign owned or operated, but Thai businesses that employ large numbers of foreigners will also be checked.

Beginning the crackdown, 12 foreigners were arrested yesterday for either not having a work permit, or doing a different job to what their work permit states.

Many were working in the tour industry as tour guides, taxi drivers or masseurs, police said. Their cases have been referred to the Phuket Provincial Court.

“I understand that foreigners want to work in Phuket, but they have to work correctly,” Maj Gen Choti told The Phuket News.

Mr Choti said the officials were also checking Thai shareholders in foreign-run companies. Thai people listed as shareholders might need to show they genuinely had enough money to have been able to have invested in the company.

“The Bang Tao mob were very angry, and it is their right to be angry,” Maj Gen Choti said.

“Russians coming to travel is fine, but if they take Thai people’s careers and livelihoods by working illegally, that is not fair to the Thai people.

“Foreigners who live and work here have to show us their work permit if we do a check. If they have the correct permit, it is not a problem.”

Source: http://www.thephuket...huket-36754.php

-- The Phuket News 2013-02-01

footer_n.gif

At last these talks about clampdowns are not just a load of hot air, and now the authorities are actually putting actions and enforcements into their warnings.

The word on the street is, that this will go nationwide within the next two years. It is well known that even the so-called legal farang businesses are not legal, a lot of shady deals in order for them to gain a foothold here, these guys know the score and are not protesting for the sake of.

Anyone who abides and lives in Thailand strictly in accordance by the laws, have no concerns and can enjoy and live in peace in Thailand. All very simple, if you cannot support yourself in Thailand without contravening the laws, than you should not and have no rights to be here.

As a retiree I believe I’m getting a wonderful deal in Thailand compared to other retirement destinations. All my income comes from abroad and all my income is spent here in Thailand. So I gain living in a beautiful warm climate, living far cheaper and have a better standard of life than I would in the States, Europe or the UK and the Thais benefit from my legally obtained foreign incomes I spend here, I try my best to give back as much as I take, it`s the perfect balance, as I am not treading on any Thais turf. My 3 children are all doing well and prospering here, one son a policeman in Chiang Mai. Each received a first class education at the International schools and Universities, something that I could never had afforded for them back in the West. There are many other farangs with families living in similar situations as myself here in Thailand, who have no worries, no concerns and are liked and tolerated here, many like me, who have become a part of the Thai communities in which they live, even if we will also be considered as the novelty farang, which is no big deal.

For those who are not able to hack it here and than blame the country for all they’re problems, can seek alternative destinations to plonk themselves down, it`s that simple, as we all have choices. The people that are abusing the system are not doing themselves or the long-term farang residents here any favours, it just places all of us under greater scrutiny by the authorities and a risk of the tightening up of Immigration regulations.

As far as I am concerned, I thank my lucky stars for the type of lifestyle my family and I are now living, far removed from the shitty housing estates back in the UK and I’m grateful for it, therefore, will support and defend Thailand up to the hilt, which has made my life complete.

For the Thai bashers on here, who appear to be suffering from some kind of persecution complexes, curse and criticise as a means of trying to cover up their own incompetence’s, can go and tell it on a mountain, because no one is interested in your hard luck stories and they’re out to get me complaints.

People like you make me worry for the future, you have a sick mind, have you heard of the Irish saying don't judge a man till you have walked in his shoes, you can only see this situation from your own perspective. You really don't understand how difficult it is to make a life here.

Some people came here at a young age, not middle aged with an offshore income. Also don't throw back you could go back to your own country when that point is irrelevant because of the nature of embassy’s not granting visa's to young Thais married to young foreigners of a similar age, when i first came here 18 years ago it took 4 years to get my wife a visa to visit the UK, i was young with no right to work here with two young children, and the constant visa runs and stress of having to make a living while not legally being allowed too, you have no idea how difficult life can be for some of the young foreigners here.

After 17 years marriage to a thai and two thai children I still have no right to live here, im not looking for a thai passport, just the right to stay, i'm too young for a retirement visa, and I don't want to start a business just for a work permit.

I make my money abroad and bring back to thailand and support many people here and still I have no right to live here, I speak fluent thai and have a spotless track record, but still no right to live here.

I fed up of jumping through hoops and doing visa runs just to stay here, so I have to leave at some point.

You are very smug in your own opinion.

And also I would not be proud of my son joining the Mafia, you have a warped sense of what is right and good.

• Like 2

UPDATE

Tanyaluk Sakoot

pol.jpg

PHUKET: -- Twelve foreigners, including people from Australia, Finland, Indonesia, Myammar, and the UK, were arrested yesterday (January 31) for working illegally in the island’s tourism industry, police said.

Their arrests came as Maj Gen Choti Chavalviwat, Commander of Phuket Provincial Police, announced an investigation into tour agencies, massage parlous and restaurants, as well as other businesses which are foreign owned or employ many foreign staff. This was prompted by a protest on Monday in Bang Tao by Thai businesspeople, who said illegal foreign businesses were undercutting the market.

The Department of Labour, in conjunction with Phuket Immigration and the Phuket Police, started checking companies yesterday (January 31) based on random checks or tip-offs from the public.

The main focus will be on businesses that are foreign owned or operated, but Thai businesses that employ large numbers of foreigners will also be checked.

Beginning the crackdown, 12 foreigners were arrested yesterday for either not having a work permit, or doing a different job to what their work permit states.

Many were working in the tour industry as tour guides, taxi drivers or masseurs, police said. Their cases have been referred to the Phuket Provincial Court.

“I understand that foreigners want to work in Phuket, but they have to work correctly,” Maj Gen Choti told The Phuket News.

Mr Choti said the officials were also checking Thai shareholders in foreign-run companies. Thai people listed as shareholders might need to show they genuinely had enough money to have been able to have invested in the company.

“The Bang Tao mob were very angry, and it is their right to be angry,” Maj Gen Choti said.

“Russians coming to travel is fine, but if they take Thai people’s careers and livelihoods by working illegally, that is not fair to the Thai people.

“Foreigners who live and work here have to show us their work permit if we do a check. If they have the correct permit, it is not a problem.”

footer_n.gif

At last these talks about clampdowns are not just a load of hot air, and now the authorities are actually putting actions and enforcements into their warnings.

The word on the street is, that this will go nationwide within the next two years. It is well known that even the so-called legal farang businesses are not legal, a lot of shady deals in order for them to gain a foothold here, these guys know the score and are not protesting for the sake of.

Anyone who abides and lives in Thailand strictly in accordance by the laws, have no concerns and can enjoy and live in peace in Thailand. All very simple, if you cannot support yourself in Thailand without contravening the laws, than you should not and have no rights to be here.

As a retiree I believe I’m getting a wonderful deal in Thailand compared to other retirement destinations. All my income comes from abroad and all my income is spent here in Thailand. So I gain living in a beautiful warm climate, living far cheaper and have a better standard of life than I would in the States, Europe or the UK and the Thais benefit from my legally obtained foreign incomes I spend here, I try my best to give back as much as I take, it`s the perfect balance, as I am not treading on any Thais turf. My 3 children are all doing well and prospering here, one son a policeman in Chiang Mai. Each received a first class education at the International schools and Universities, something that I could never had afforded for them back in the West. There are many other farangs with families living in similar situations as myself here in Thailand, who have no worries, no concerns and are liked and tolerated here, many like me, who have become a part of the Thai communities in which they live, even if we will also be considered as the novelty farang, which is no big deal.

For those who are not able to hack it here and than blame the country for all they’re problems, can seek alternative destinations to plonk themselves down, it`s that simple, as we all have choices. The people that are abusing the system are not doing themselves or the long-term farang residents here any favours, it just places all of us under greater scrutiny by the authorities and a risk of the tightening up of Immigration regulations.

As far as I am concerned, I thank my lucky stars for the type of lifestyle my family and I are now living, far removed from the shitty housing estates back in the UK and I’m grateful for it, therefore, will support and defend Thailand up to the hilt, which has made my life complete.

For the Thai bashers on here, who appear to be suffering from some kind of persecution complexes, curse and criticise as a means of trying to cover up their own incompetence’s, can go and tell it on a mountain, because no one is interested in your hard luck stories and they’re out to get me complaints.

Interesting, proclaiming Thai law and righteousness for those who abide by it. Thai laws albeit they may be written somewhere and Thai culture/society/mores and norms are 2 distinct entities.The roles of influence, bribery, dysfunction and incompetence net effect is a world apart from whatever may be on paper. Who do think profits from dummy / nominee corporations? Thais as well as non-Thai's. Very like also police and politicians.

It comes as zero surprise some foreigners simply "go with the flow" although the flow normally entails cheating and corruption.

It is surprising that your son (half thai) having had the benefit of international education and influence of a western father would become a policeman, since that is a system of payoffs to advance and even often to enter.

I have found international schools to be as expensive or more expensive than schools in G7 countries, at least in BKK. Having had brief teaching experience at in international school in a small city I'd say the "international" was more of window dressing than educational quality.

I am certainly not proclaiming righteousness and I strongly disagree that going with the flow in Thailand means participating in cheating and corruption.

Thai law is the law, whether one agrees with it or not, the same as in every country, and for those who disagree with the attitudes and policies imposed on foreigners, than take all this into consideration before moving here, what’s the point of complaining afterwards?

Going along with the flow means conforming and falling into the rules imposed by the Immigration department and the laws of Thailand. Why would an ex-pat feel the need to cheat and work by corruption in order to live here? That’s total baloney.

This may come as a big surprise to you, but not all police and Thai Government departments operate by institutionalised corruption policies, trust me on that one, although I do agree that there are still too many bad apples left in the basket and the minority of those corrupt officials do give the whole outfit a bad reputation, the same as the foreigners that are abusing the system here.

If my and those in a similar situation to myself lifestyles goes arse over tit because of dramatic changes in the Immigration policies, than I would lay the blame squarely on the shoulders of those who are abusing the system and bending the laws and not the authorities that would implement and enforce the rules and regulations.

My philosophy is and always has been, that no one owes me or anyone else a living, plus I prefer to be a non-descript person here in Thailand, where my actions and what I do in my day to day life have no effect or place at risk the lifestyles of other ex-pats living here, keeping in mind that we are foreigners here, without the same levels of statutory rights as a Thai national. You either except these terms or move on.

Do you live on Phuket?

This is Thailand the Thais don't want a level playing field They know they cannot compete

This shows and says a lot Thailand is not ready for ASEAN. Poor English, corrupt, disorganised and prejudice. Perhaps let the Indians and Chinese compete with the Thai.... ;)

Oh what a wonderful day for this local business owners. At last they are trying to do something after years of putting one blind eyes as if they don't know whats going in Phuket. This are driven by greedy act of local top shorts jointly with foreign Mafias which actually the one who pulls striong around in Phuket and Pattaya but someone else have to clean the shit. Hurray..hurray..hurray. I hope this is not some talking shit,real action need to be done. Protest for a real cause is something worth doing as a team. Not like going around in Bangkok wearing Red shirt and Red flags and drunk whisky and causing problem for many. This is a good day to get rid off with this foreigners who don't respect local business attics. Always forgotten where they are standing..

Don't worry with the scams put in place by Thai operators in Phuket there will no tourism anymore. Taxi drivers who prevent cruise passengers to leave a terminal, jet-ski operators beating up tourists, motorcycle operators shooting their customers and even guards of hospitals beating up customers from which they assumed they were leaving without paying. Don't go to Phuket there are nice places too in Thailand.

Apparently free enterprise competition=causing trouble, in Thailand.

ASEAN here we come!

It's the same the world over. In the UK, many want to get rid of immigrants that are legally working there. They think they take their jobs and want them gone. They don't believe in free enterprise. Many people just want to protect themselves. They don't agree with free enterprise at all. Even at a local level, they don't agree with a similar company opening in the same street, even if it's run by a UK citizen, as they say they were there first and no-one should be allowed to come ans steal their customers, or their job. This isn't a Thai problem; it happens all over the world. Just look at Greece - they beat foreigners up in the street because they don't want them there - even if they are tourists. Yes, Thailand has problems, but don't forget that many other countries have similar, or worse problems.

The UK is a different story and its about claiming money and not working.

Don't worry with the scams put in place by Thai operators in Phuket there will no tourism anymore. Taxi drivers who prevent cruise passengers to leave a terminal, jet-ski operators beating up tourists, motorcycle operators shooting their customers and even guards of hospitals beating up customers from which they assumed they were leaving without paying. Don't go to Phuket there are nice places too in Thailand.

What microscope ha...?So you think you know better ha senior...What shove..ha? Don't be sensitive ha..There is many islands to go to in Thailand.And please if you don't understand what you've read and don't have to use the words scumbag ha..relax otherwise i have many words to use too..understood. ...so if you don't know something then just keep it cool ha.....

UPDATE

Tanyaluk Sakoot

pol.jpg

footer_n.gif

People like you make me worry for the future, you have a sick mind, have you heard of the Irish saying don't judge a man till you have walked in his shoes, you can only see this situation from your own perspective. You really don't understand how difficult it is to make a life here.

Some people came here at a young age, not middle aged with an offshore income. Also don't throw back you could go back to your own country when that point is irrelevant because of the nature of embassy’s not granting visa's to young Thais married to young foreigners of a similar age, when i first came here 18 years ago it took 4 years to get my wife a visa to visit the UK, i was young with no right to work here with two young children, and the constant visa runs and stress of having to make a living while not legally being allowed too, you have no idea how difficult life can be for some of the young foreigners here.

After 17 years marriage to a thai and two thai children I still have no right to live here, im not looking for a thai passport, just the right to stay, i'm too young for a retirement visa, and I don't want to start a business just for a work permit.

I make my money abroad and bring back to thailand and support many people here and still I have no right to live here, I speak fluent thai and have a spotless track record, but still no right to live here.

I fed up of jumping through hoops and doing visa runs just to stay here, so I have to leave at some point.

And also I would not be proud of my son joining the Mafia, you have a warped sense of what is right and good.

I do know exactly your situation.

Years ago, before Europe became the EEC, at a very young age I found employment in Spain for a PR company. In those days just like Thailand today, it was extremely difficult to obtain visas and remain in the country. Before I reached the age of 50, I had to live in my home countries with my Thai wife and hated it, because the same as you, it was extremely difficult for me to live in Thailand long term for financial reasons, so I just had to lump it and stay put until the time was right. I considered myself as making the right choice, although I hated it, but now I am happy that I made all the right decisions. Life is like that, we can`t always have what we want, when we want it.

My point is that those who decide to stay here long term should already know what is required and the predicaments they would be placing themselves in, so it`s their choice and although I sympathise, unfortunately this is the way things are and I cannot see any major changes within the foreseeable future. Not my fault, I don`t make the blasted rules or have any influences over the authorities here, I`m just stating the way it is.

As for your comment about my son joining the Thai mafia, I lost sympathy at that point, because this means that you have extreme narrow minded anti views about Thailand, the same as many others perspectives of the country, which are simply just not true. Criticising the country because it does not fall into your scheme of things.

For those who wish to see the relaxing of the Immigration laws and more compassion placed towards those in similar situations as yourself, than I suggest slagging off the authorities and Thailand as a whole, can gain nothing and will only provoke those that makes the rules into mis-trusting Westerners even more so and implementing further restrictions against us.

My son and his employers are not into corruption and all my children are well established and fully integrated into Thai society, a fact that I am proud. If I were to be expected to share the same anti-Thailand views as so many other posters on here, than I would be extremely concerned and wonder, why the hell am I living here in the first place?

For those that cannot adapt to Thai attitudes and detest the system here, should also be asking yourselves, why am I here?

Edited by Beetlejuice

UPDATE

Tanyaluk Sakoot

pol.jpg

footer_n.gif

I do know exactly your situation.

Years ago, before Europe became the EEC, at a very young age I found employment in Spain for a PR company. In those days just like Thailand today, it was extremely difficult to obtain visas and remain in the country.

My point is that those who decide to stay here long term should already know what is required and the predicaments they would be placing themselves in, so it`s their choice and although I sympathise, unfortunately this is the way things are and I cannot see any major changes within the foreseeable future. Not my fault, I don`t make the blasted rules or have any influences over the authorities here, I`m just stating the way it is.

As for your comment about my son joining the Thai mafia, I lost sympathy at that point, because this means that you have extreme narrow minded anti views about Thailand, the same as many others perspectives of the country, which are simply just not true. Criticising the country because it does not fall into your scheme of things.

For those who wish to see the relaxing of the Immigration laws and more compassion placed towards those in similar situations as yourself, than I suggest slagging off the authorities and Thailand as a whole, can gain nothing and will only provoke those that makes the rules into mis-trusting Westerners even more so and implementing further restrictions against us.

My son and his employers are not into corruption and all my children are well established and fully integrated into Thai society, a fact that I am proud. If I were to be expected to share the same anti-Thailand views as so many other posters on here, than I would be extremely concerned and wonder, why the hell am I living here in the first place?

For those that cannot adapt to Thai attuitudes and detest the system here, should also be asking yourselves, why am I here?

No offence, but, if I paid about 100,000 baht a term to an International School to educate my children and they joined the Thai Police and earned 12,000 baht per month, I'd be a little disappointed.

12 years of schooling, costing around 3.6 million baht, to get a job paying around 12,000 baht a month. Also, these figures are quite conservative and don't take into account the cost of tertiary education.

You would have been better sending him to an ordinary Thai school, costing nothing, and giving him the 3.6 million in cash.

12,000 baht per month X 12 months = 144,000 baht salary a year.

3.6 million baht / 144,000 baht = 25 years salary (basically your son's whole working life)

Anyway, I asked before, but you did not reply - do you live on Phuket?

Edited by NamKangMan

One thing they don't grasp is that farang owned business, do not send the money out of Thailand, and usually bring money in, even if some of it is generated here. Regardless it is almost 100 % SPENT in Thailand.

The whinging comes from those who can't deliver,

but demand 'their share' for the shoddy product

they do try and foist on the unsuspecting.

If they had what people wanted, at a competitive price,

they would get the business without underhanded tactics.

Exactly - They are unable to provide quality in anything they do! (As an example) I have recently bought four brand new doeer handles and locks - Made In Thailand) The first broke the first day, all three were broken within a week - Why expend the effort to produce or deliver shit that no one will ever return to buy or use? They used to make jokes about the quality from China - Jesus, these people really need to stand back and take a look in the mirror.

No offence, but, if I paid about 100,000 baht a term to an International School to educate my children and they joined the Thai Police and earned 12,000 baht per month, I'd be a little disappointed.

12 years of schooling, costing around 3.6 million baht, to get a job paying around 12,000 baht a month. Also those figures don't take into account the cost of tertiary education.

You would have been better sending him to an ordinary Thai school, costing nothing, and giving him the 3.6 million in cash.

3.6 million baht / 144,000 baht = 25 years salary (basically your son's whole working life)

Do I live in Phuket? Answer no.

2 years of schooling, costing around 3.6 million baht, to get a job paying around 12,000 baht a month.

I see you are in the know and have it all worked out. I wonder if you could be my accountant and calculate my finances each year?

• Like 1

The issues as I see them. The taxi 'mob' pay the politicians, the politicians in return, maintain the status quo. The big difference between locals and foreigners is that the locals have the all the 'rights' and the right to vote, so, firstly by accepting the 'mob' money the pollies are obligated to be seen to do something, and secondly, the pollies need to keep the locals onside for their votes. I imagine that if the numbers of Thai migrant workers throughout the south were given the right to vote in the location of their work, there would be a signicantly different political landscape.

As for harassment of foreigners and their businesses, a nice handy scapegoat to be exploited to the fullest. Thailand and Thais need to understand that without the tourism, places like Phuket etc would fairly similar to the majority of towns and villages in the north and northeast.

as it was 35 years ago....only palmtrees on Patong beach...those were the days my friend!!!

• Like 1

12 years of schooling, costing around 3.6 million baht, to get a job paying around 12,000 baht a month. Also those figures don't take into account the cost of tertiary education.

2 years of schooling, costing around 3.6 million baht, to get a job paying around 12,000 baht a month.

I see you are in the know and have it all worked out. I wonder if you could be my accountant and calculate my finances each year?

Ok, so, now we have established that you are not a local Phuket expat. How can you comment, with some degree of knowledge, as to what is happening "on the ground" here?

The island is being run by criminals for their own gain.

I don't think it's too much for tourists to ask for proper public transport, after they have just paid big dollars for a holiday to a place the TAT has marketed as a "world class tourist destination" and Thailand's premier tourist island. They arrive here, and as soon as the exit door opens at arrivals, they discover transport here is a disgrace, and expensive.

In some cases, tourist are paying more for transport than the cost of their accommodation for their holiday.

Public transport is an essential service. It exists in other provinces of Thailand, but not Phuket.

You really need to feel that loss of freedom of movement to understand what it is like to live on Phuket.

For example, Kata Beach is around 5 kilometers from where I live. It is cheaper for me to ride my motorbike to Kata Beach, rent a guesthouse room for 500 baht a night, have a night out with friends drinking and ride home the next day than to catch a tuk-tuk to Kata Beach, go out, and catch a tuk-tuk home. It's 5 kilometers away and I have to make it an overnight trip. Ridiculous.

Of course, I can afford the tuk-tuk, but on principle, myself, and many others, refuse to use them.

Now, we have certain businesses organising their customers transport and the tuk-tuk mafia shut them down. What's next, they shut down all the motorbike and car hire leaving no choice at all but to catch a tuk-tuks????

I don't know where you got "2 years of schooling" from - I said 12 years of schooling. If a child starts school at 6 years of age and leaves school at 18 - thats 12 years.

I believe your average International Scool is around 100,000 baht a term. I'm not sure if there are 3 terms or 4 term in a school year here, so, I based my maths on 3 terms - like I said, they were conservative figures. If there are 4 terms, then you can add another 1.2 million baht to the cost of your son's education.

Question - with all the known problems in Phuket why do not people go to nicer places of which there are many? Second the comment "After 17 years marriage to a thai and two thai children I still have no right to live here, im not looking for a thai passport, just the right to stay, i'm too young for a retirement visa" I understand this comment as I have lived in Thailand for over 10 years, speak the language well and have a retirement visa but need to renew re-entyr permit yearly. While I come to Thailand often - Jomtien - I live in a near by country where I DO have permanent resident status for life. Thailand will not change in the way it looks at foreignerns BUT there are places who will welcome you a bit more warmly. As for working, How many Thais speak Russian?? So how will the Thai Tour guide communicate and make any sense at all. It is a situation we as foreigners will not change AND either make the best of it OR find a more welcoming country of which there are. Good luck to all in Phuket

Ok, so, now we have established that you are not a local Phuket expat. How can you comment, with some degree of knowledge, as to what is happening "on the ground" here?

The island is being run by criminals for their own gain.

I don't think it's too much for tourists to ask for proper public transport, after they have just paid big dollars for a holiday to a place the TAT has marketed as a "world class tourist destination" and Thailand's premier tourist island. They arrive here, and as soon as the exit door opens at arrivals, they discover transport here is a disgrace, and expensive.

In some cases, tourist are paying more for transport than the cost of their accommodation for their holiday.

Public transport is an essential service. It exists in other provinces of Thailand, but not Phuket.

You really need to feel that loss of freedom of movement to understand what it is like to live on Phuket.

For example, Kata Beach is around 5 kilometers from where I live. It is cheaper for me to ride my motorbike to Kata Beach, rent a guesthouse room for 500 baht a night, have a night out with friends drinking and ride home the next day than to catch a tuk-tuk to Kata Beach, go out, and catch a tuk-tuk home. It's 5 kilometers away and I have to make it an overnight trip. Ridiculous.

Of course, I can afford the tuk-tuk, but on principle, myself, and many others, refuse to use them.

Now, we have certain businesses organising their customers transport and the tuk-tuk mafia shut them down. What's next, they shut down all the motorbike and car hire leaving no choice at all but to catch a tuk-tuks????

I don't know where you got "2 years of schooling" from - I said 12 years of schooling. If a child starts school at 6 years of age and leaves school at 18 - thats 12 years.

I believe your average International Scool is around 100,000 baht a term. I'm not sure if there are 3 terms or 4 term in a school year here, so, I based my maths on 3 terms - like I said, they were conservative figures. If there are 4 terms, then you can add another 1.2 million baht to the cost of your son's education.

Thank you for explaining and I agree with most of what you say.

Have not visited Phuket in years and was in Pattaya about 2 years ago.

I never found either Phuket or Pattaya were particularly tourist or ex-pat friendly. The prices are hyped up and the attitudes are that, you’re a farang and this is how much you are going to pay, take it or leave it. Most of the time I had concerns about being scammed one way or another and sometimes did not feel safe and felt extremely vulnerable in those places, as a victim waiting to happen. Since, I have not had the interest or incentive to return and I am sure that many more have been deterred from re-visiting, one bitten, twice shy, as the wise man says. So I am sure that over the years the word has got around to avoid these particular destinations and some tourists have gone elsewhere for their holidays. As these coastal resorts become more and more controlled by mafia type gangs with the collusion of some corrupt officials in those areas, than the more these places become attractive to undesirables who are seeking a piece of the action. This includes both Thais and foreigners who it appears are battling for control of the tourist industries and public services.

The solution is to boycott these resorts until it begins to hit these areas in the pocket. As for those living there, the decision to leave or stay has to be left up to they’re own discretion. Personally, I would not live there even if I was paid to do so.

• Like 1

If you work in Thailand, you can't take a Thai's job and you need a work permit. That rule should be enforced. All the rest of this bitter talk is irrelevant.

Let's see the work permits. No work permit, goodbye.

I agree. The same rules apply in our own countries. Would be great if the crack down was applied as effectively to the jet ski operators, tuk tuk drivers, time share scams etc.