Baht Rise A Threat To Tourism: Kittiratt

webfact

I don't feel the increase value in the baht is the problem...but it is the declining economy in the Western countries; one certainly does not run into travelers from North America or Europe like 10 years ago. People are afraid of losing their jobs (or have lost them); the aging population can no longer go on expensive holidays, and the flights are way more expensive today than ten years ago from USA or Europe. Yes, there are more of the "new" travelers from Russia, China, and India who are less independent but travel in groups. I still feel Thailand offers a variety of hotels/ restaurants to the budget and 5 star traveler. It is still cheaper to travel in Thailand than in Singapore (too modern for most Western travelers); or Lao (limit number of 5 star hotels).

What IS hurting Thailand tourisim is the pollution of its beaches, greedy thug heads that run the tuk-tuks and bhat busses/ the jet ski scammers/ crime/ neglect (or stupidity) of not maintaining the tourist attractions to its prime, and the lack of Thai hospitality like one saw 20-30 years ago. Thailand doesn't seem to understand customer service like they have in the West or other developed countries, they only seem to know how to put on a fake smile, nod their head yes, and wait for the tourist dollar to roll in.

Edited by toenail
  • Like 1

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheap food's the clincher. Ever smaller servings of food at higher prices seems to be the order of the day. Add a higher baht to this and I reckon a lot of tourists might consider not returning.

Perhaps the cheap whining Brits can form a chorus and sing for their supper.

PAH....I'm at pains to remember the last time an Antipodean was at the head of the queue to get a round in tongue.png

Alzheimers has that effect on recent memory. Take something for your pains.

There were quite a few countries rated over Thailand as destinations for retirees and folks escaping the winters so if the baht doesn't go back up I will take myself and my money and winter in one of these other countries. I was planning on seeing more of the world anyway, this strengthening of the baht will give me the impetus to go to other countries.

• Like 1

I don't feel the increase value in the baht is the problem...but it is the declining economy in the Western countries; one certainly does not run into travelers from North America or Europe like 10 years ago. People are afraid of losing their jobs (or have lost them); the aging population can no longer go on expensive holidays, and the flights are way more expensive today than ten years ago from USA or Europe. Yes, there are more of the "new" travelers from Russia, China, and India who are less independent but travel in groups. I still feel Thailand offers a variety of hotels/ restaurants to the budget and 5 star traveler. It is still cheaper to travel in Thailand than in Singapore (too modern for most Western travelers); or Lao (limit number of 5 star hotels).

What IS hurting Thailand tourisim is the pollution of its beaches, greedy thug heads that run the tuk-tuks and bhat busses/ the jet ski scammers/ crime/ neglect (or stupidity) of not maintaining the tourist attractions to its prime, and the lack of Thai hospitality like one saw 20-30 years ago. Thailand doesn't seem to understand customer service like they have in the West or other developed countries, they only seem to know how to put on a fake smile, nod their head yes, and wait for the tourist dollar to roll in.

America has half of the most beautiful beaches in the world all year round and if an older gentleman wants to meet a woman Cuba is only 90 miles from Florida. I doubt if they would come to Thailand for the beach. Airfare is too expensive now. Not so hard to figure.

America has half of the most beautiful beaches in the world all year round and if an older gentleman wants to meet a woman Cuba is only 90 miles from Florida. I doubt if they would come to Thailand for the beach. Airfare is too expensive now. Not so hard to figure.

Why assume that by "ageing population " the poster implies older gentlemen travelling to Thailand looking for women ? Retired couples also like to take vacations ...and, surprisingly , often together !

Why assume that by "ageing population " the poster implies older gentlemen travelling to Thailand looking for women ? Retired couples also like to take vacations ...and, surprisingly , often together !

I agree. Florida is called God's little waiting room. The largest collection of blue haired people in the world. But the old Americans are not going to come to Thailand for the beach.

Cheap food's the clincher. Ever smaller servings of food at higher prices seems to be the order of the day. Add a higher baht to this and I reckon a lot of tourists might consider not returning.

PAH....I'm at pains to remember the last time an Antipodean was at the head of the queue to get a round in tongue.png

Mate, you're right, but the funny thing is that we are proud if we get away with it!thumbsup.gif

And yet the tourists keep coming, eh?

Scams exist in many countries with a buoyant tourism industry. The jetski and tuk-tuk blags are well-documented and are easy to swerve. For every person bitching about the demise of Thai hospitality, there are 10 who have no issues and return again and again.

"One can't get anything for less than 1 Pound in UK which seems to be the smallest unit of currency in UK.

Thailand doesn't need the cheap tourists that can't afford to spend 40 Baht for a meal. Better to focus on more wealthy tourists."

Right, cause only the wealthy deserve a vacation. You people are such tools.

You think having money makes you a better person or tourist? Ha,ha. You obviously don't know many rich people, they are the cheapest and rudest I know. Tools.

God knows what you think of us poor residents, Widebeyboy. I spend 30 Baht for my rad naa here in Udon, and was quite pleased with myself until I found out I was "Cheap"blink.png

I don't know much about it but

Remember that Thailand supported the Khmer Rouge even after details of the genocide came to light and after the Vietnamese ousted Pol Pot and his evil regime. Pol Pot lived with the protection of Thai special forces in a mansion in Trat province in the 80's with the full support of the Thais, who also trained and supported Khmer Rouge Cadres conducting strikes against Cambodian and Vietnamese forces in Western Cambodia from safe havens within Thailand. The Thai government also supported the Khmer Rouge as the legitimate government of Cambodia in the UN.

Ironic that the biggest defenders of the place are invariably those that know the least about it.

Every (well most) Tourist coming here has x amount of his currency as his vacation budget. If that is for example 2000 $ and you get 80,000 baht, you spent 80,000 baht. If you only get 59,000 baht, then you only spend 59,000.

The ordinary tourist's budget does not increase because of the unfavourable exchange rate.

Thos makes increase in tourist revenue difficult.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It would be interesting to see the tourist figures over the last 5yrs to see if he is right to worry. But I'm sure I read recently that the TAT announced record figures for last year and if so he has nothing to worry about! Five years ago one pound got you about 73-74 baht compared to 46 today and one Euro got about 55 compared to 39 today. People will still come regardless.

Yep - and they spend their money differently. That's why bar takings are down in tourist areas, and 7/11's are doing well.

• Like 1

Surely there is an element of naievity here in believing that price rises won't eventually affect tourism ? OK so Hans from Hamburg, Bill from Birmingham may continue to return but when they are back home they are probably pointing out to anyone who will listen that LOS is not cheap anymore. From Euope at least the flight prices continue to increase, its one thing to pay out for an expensive flight if your destination is cheap, quite another if it's still expensive when you get there.

• Like 1

People that save up for a one week trip out of an annual vacation will never remember that when they get home

Reality is once you start to put a price to enjoyment ...most will stay at home and eat a sandwich

However when you are here in Phuket or Pattaya the 30 baht pad Thai u had at the beach stall would stick to your mind and be your talking point among friends rather than the jet ski bill you paid or that overpriced gem for mum

I work in the business and will say the confidence among the business operators have never been higher that the Asian / Russian tourism will support whatever Bill and Hans give up

The majority of High So Thai institutes are so stubborn they only have tourism as source of rip-off-money-income…whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

What is a high so Thai institute? And what would being stubborn have to do with the rise of the baht?

Haven't you discovered 'Amart-Bank', branches on every hi-so street, and also Hong Kong, B.V.I., Dubai etcetera ?

Marketing slogan ... ' Your Their Friendly Local High-Street Hi-So Bank' ! rolleyes.gif

I have always had a problem understanding the theorists who favour beating down their own currency in a bid to earn more. As far as local citizens are concerned, a strong domestic currency vis-a-vis foreign currency can only be good. It means your currency is commanding higher value, getting you more and more and thereby improving your standard of living, your comforts. Now people, policy makers, and the media in third world countries can be easily brainwashed by their counterparts from the "intellectually superior" first world into believing that a non-stop strengthening of their currency would go against them and that currency depreciation would actually be good. This is the point at which the first world people are having a hard time and begin to fear that they are losing out big time to the stronger currency countries. The tragedy is when the leaders of the third world start parroting the currency-depreciation theory as good for their countries.

Very simply, Thailand is NOT a fit case for currency depreciation much as I personally would love to see the Thai Baht go down so I can get more value on my holidays. The unpalatable truth for foreign tourists like myself is that Thailand, without any consideration of currency exchange rates, remains one of the liveliest, most enjoyable value for money destinations of the world with very, very few rivals. So long as Thailand offers us memorable, enjoyable holidays that we love getting our regular fix of every three or six months, we are going to keep returning. No matter that the Thai Baht is now 29 to the US dollar, compared to 42 after the 1997 crash.

• Like 1

Yeah the Baht has increased in the last few years but so has the quality and accessability of imported products. Even the service has improved generally! People complain about the scams and dirty beaches but these are generally in the tourist hot spots like Pattaya, Phuket, Samui etc. These places are no different to their European or American counterparts.

There are still clean and safe places with friendly people here in Thailand. People that live here or tourists that make the effort to try new things have no doubt came across these places. To those who know please dont go on forums and start telling people about them. We dont want them to turn out like the other places

Guess your anti Brit.

I am against cheap whiners.

Due to a further rise of the THB the time will come when some UK ,US, and EU expats will walk on the pavements with a guitar and sing songs in order to get some donations from the public.

Or to get a free plate of stodge that culinary delight of Brits.

Just saw on the nees that some Euro countries start to be concerned about the rising Euro. Reason being that it may affect exports negatively.

Same should be true for LOS as well.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It would be interesting to see the tourist figures over the last 5yrs to see if he is right to worry. But I'm sure I read recently that the TAT announced record figures for last year and if so he has nothing to worry about! Five years ago one pound got you about 73-74 baht compared to 46 today and one Euro got about 55 compared to 39 today. People will still come regardless.

5 yrs ago the aussie dollar got you 26 bht today it gets you 31.

I have always had a problem understanding the theorists who favour beating down their own currency in a bid to earn more. As far as local citizens are concerned, a strong domestic currency vis-a-vis foreign currency can only be good. It means your currency is commanding higher value, getting you more and more and thereby improving your standard of living, your comforts. Now people, policy makers, and the media in third world countries can be easily brainwashed by their counterparts from the "intellectually superior" first world into believing that a non-stop strengthening of their currency would go against them and that currency depreciation would actually be good. This is the point at which the first world people are having a hard time and begin to fear that they are losing out big time to the stronger currency countries. The tragedy is when the leaders of the third world start parroting the currency-depreciation theory as good for their countries.

Very simply, Thailand is NOT a fit case for currency depreciation much as I personally would love to see the Thai Baht go down so I can get more value on my holidays. The unpalatable truth for foreign tourists like myself is that Thailand, without any consideration of currency exchange rates, remains one of the liveliest, most enjoyable value for money destinations of the world with very, very few rivals. So long as Thailand offers us memorable, enjoyable holidays that we love getting our regular fix of every three or six months, we are going to keep returning. No matter that the Thai Baht is now 29 to the US dollar, compared to 42 after the 1997 crash.

Very true statement about high currency value. This is a sign of a country's economic health.

Thailand is one of the fortunate countries with a healthy trade balance which puts upward pressure on the Baht. According to Wikipedia tourism accounts for only about 6% of Thai industry so that tourism effect of high Baht will not have much effect on whole economy.

5 yrs ago the aussie dollar got you 26 bht today it gets you 31.

It was actually 4 years ago that AUD took a dive against the USD due to the economic meltdown of 2009.