Electronic Tagging Instead Of Jail To Be Introduced For Thai Inmates

webfact

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new way for Thaksin to come home

That's what I was thinking.... The OP post included "political prisoners" among the list of those likely to be eligible.

So I guess, he could end up as Prime Minister again and walk around wearing his ankle bracelet at Cabinet meetings... Cool! tongue.png

In fact, the authorities could start handing out one monitoring bracelet each to all of the Cabinet members...as kind of a future "get out of jail free" card to use as needed.

They might even be allowed to accrue time in advance..............before the change in government and charges for their crimes.

Perhaps just another means to several ends. For example: supporting the (un)intended dual justice system (one for those with money (and/or political clout) and one for those without); enhancement of 'retirement and investment accounts' for select individuals; and other as(sorted) potential ends. Just another day at the office....

• Like 1

The usual idiotic responses from all the Thai bashers coffee1.gif

It has been proved to be effective in 50 other countries so why would it not work here?

The only thing similar to the other 50 countries would probably be a wrist/ankle band. Those stings from the temple are not electronic, so the monitors will never make a sound, much less show up on the monitor.I can think of 75 million reasons why it will not work in the LOS.

Wonder who get to define minor offenses? That will be the plum job of all time in this corrupt country.

I can see it now A "Ministry of Minor Offenses" This could work into a better position than all the other ministries put together. I am not priviliged to the kick back inter workings, maybe its shared between all in the coalition?

Well cold blooded premeditated murder is a 200,000B ($6000 USD) Bail & bribe, sounds like that is considered minor in Thailand.

As someone who wore a electronic tag in the UK a long time, ago I can assure people that they do work, unlike most of the posters on here who seem to think they will be made from 2 Tin cans and a piece of string.

If they have been proved to work in 50 other countries then it is obvious that research has been done to stop people breaking them/fooling the system although there was a case in the UK a while ago where it was fitted to the offenders false leg laugh.png

I know these devices have been used effectively in other countries...

But we need to remember, this is Thailand, the land of the water pushing anti-flood machines, the electronic bomb sniffers that can't sniff bombs, and the surveillance blimp that can't manage to stay inflated and in the air.

You really should have kept quiet about the "2 tins cans and a piece of string" comment. Now you'll have provided the design inspiration for the Thai company that will end up being hired to provide the local version of these devices! tongue.png

• Like 1

It doesn't work well anywhere else so I can't see it working at all well here where the people manning the tracking equipment will most likely be bribed or drunk ! Just what we need; thousands of scumbags still free walking the streets instead of banged up with their own kind.

It will end up like the electronic tags in the UK, only here the BIB will be running round some field in the middle of the night after curfew chasing a buffalo!

The headline suggests only THAI inmates, if correct that could mean the Swiss girl banged up for overstaying and alleged theft of a camera will stay inside and the cop that executed a foriegn woman and drug dealers could possibly be set free?

It will be interesting to see in what order these tags will be fitted, I wonder if the police doctor accused of murdering a few Burmese gets issued with one!

This has to be Thaksin pulling the strings of the chairman to ensure if he won't come back with the thought of jail time he can at least come back to a tag and still be the hero to the uneducated, tag and all. Anything put forward by government of politicians in this country is underwritten by the puppet master wiggling their lines, whilst trying to appear like a hardly done by nice guy in stead of the convicted criminal he is.

The new way for Thaksin to come home

That's what I was thinking.... The OP post included "political prisoners" among the list of those likely to be eligible.

So I guess, he could end up as Prime Minister again and walk around wearing his ankle bracelet at Cabinet meetings... Cool! tongue.png

In fact, the authorities could start handing out one monitoring bracelet each to all of the Cabinet members...as kind of a future "get out of jail free" card to use as needed.

Possibly a hack-saw tooclap2.gif

"The number of inmates in Thai prisons nationwide has exceeded the international standard maximum by four times, Dr Ukrit said....."

So...what does this mean ..? Thailand has 4x the in BKK number of criminals than other countries ...or 75% less prison facilities ?

They could always build more prisons ...but not on the list of mega projects ...for obvious reasons !

In any case, just how long are the prison sentences for these supposed minor offences ...surely very short ?

Ukrit Mongkolnavin, chairman of the Independent National Rule of Law Commission, said the EM programme is part of a range of human rights issues and that EM devices should be applied to inmates with minor offences, political prisoners and economic-related convicts so that they do not need to be physically present in prisons.

The Thais are not ashamed of this. Political prisoners is a third ( or fourth ) world issue.

My immediate thought ...

the EM programme is part of a range of human rights issues and that EM devices should be applied to inmates with minor offences, political prisoners and economic-related convicts so that they do not need to be physically present in prisons.

.... Thaksin's coming home

Can't understand you guys, are you saying YOU would not pay your way out of a difficult situation if you could ?

Or would you put on your ThaiVisa T-Shirt and charge into the Valley of Death, casting aside all those who dare question the Farang moral code ?

Nearly every Farang I know drinks and drives all the time, none of them are ThaiVisa members, naturally.......

You know what, I actually live here and have done since 1990, so advice from short stay Farangs is the last thing I need, that is just for amusement, but let me tell you something, I would rather trust a Thai than a Farang any day of the week, in Thailand, yes, definately.

• Like 1

easily defeated with a layer of tin foil

Said in jest right? Please tell me it was

the system used cell phone sim and gps, block the signal and they are off line.

how well will even a good gps work with no clear shot of the sky?

This is a great idea. Tag them like a dog and let them go. Make room for real criminals. Corrupted police and army, hit and run cop killers, other drunk drivers, murderers who are "positioned" in Thai society to squash the charges.

How about focus on how to reduce crime and help with rehabilitation of the inmates instead of these short-term solutions to a problem that is only going to get worse? A lot of the inmates are in there for drug possession and other victim-less crimes. Shouldn't rehabilitation and assistance be provided to these inmates giving them the opportunity to turn their lives around and contribute to the economy? Instead of placing them in these inhumane prisons which places a strain on the taxpayer who have to pay to have them there in the first place.

rehab?????? Hellooo your in Thailand.....they wont change except to try harder not to get apprehended next time the break the law

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well we have to find out what is causing so many people to commit these crimes in the first place. Is it lack of well paying jobs? No access to affordable housing? Problems at their home that leads to drug addiction? And i was referring to inmates who are put in due to committing victim-less crimes (such as smoking cannabis or stealing chocolate from 7-11). The prisons should be reserved for the hardened criminals, sex-offenders, murderers etc. The problem we have here is overcrowding and if we keep having your mentality NOTHING WILL EVER CHANGE IN THIS COUNTRY.

Edited by anantha92