New Opening Hours & Curfew

marquess

I have just been listening to East Asia today on the BBC, there was an announcement, of which I am not sure if a I have all the facts right.

Anyway there was some mention about certain bars closing at 10 pm. With the exception of those in designated zones. I know that Pat Pong was in one of the zones. Not too sure about Soi Cowboy or Nana?

I am rather surprised that there has been nothing thus far on the News Clippings. Probably past George's bedtime?

Inaddition all those under the age of 18 are liable for arrest, if out after 10pm, this is all due to come into effect as of the 29th March. What joy it will be to be a teenager in Thailand!

If anyone has anymore accurate info, I should be grateful to hear it.

Here's the story from the Beeb:

Thai young face night curfew

The curfew will be used to control crime in popular nightspots

Thailand's cabinet has approved a night-time curfew on all people under 18, in a bid to stop criminal violence.

Young people found on the streets without their parents between 10pm and four am will be liable to arrest, starting on 29 March.

Correspondents say it is unclear how strictly the measures will be enforced, in part because many young people work in night jobs.

The move follows mounting concern about youth crime in Thailand.

"It's not about punishment, but this measure is aimed at safeguarding under-aged youths as it is unreasonable for them to aimlessly wander around late at night," said the Justice Minister, Pongthep Thepkanjana.

Among behaviour deemed "inappropriate" will be under 18s going out with their parents after 10pm.

A spokesman for the Youth Observation and Protection Department, which will enforce the curfew along with police, said such a measure was important because most crimes including gang rape, shootings and motorcycle races are committed after 10pm when youngsters had consumed alcohol.

Under the proposals, first-time curfew offenders would be detained until their parents picked them up, but the authorities are considering longer detention and bail for multiple offenders.

There have also been suggestions that the curfew was unlikely to be enforced across the entire country, but would be a useful tool for the authorities to deal with disruption in night-life districts.

The curfew is being introduced after justice ministry figures showed an alarming rise in violent crime, particularly sex crimes, among young people in Thailand.

Reports said rape increased by 16 percent on the previous year in 2003, with gang rape rising by 70 percent.

Sounds good in principle, but this isn't Singapore.

Could this end up as another fund raiser for the police retirement fund just like the motor bike helmet law. Can we expect a couple of months of road blocks and general harassment of the public at 10 pm every night. Of course we can, remember what happened when they shortened the bar opening hours.

My kids play sports at the weekend and often are out till 11 pm. I won't be amused if my son gets picked up by the cops because he's committed the crime of playing badminton.

We've had motor cycle / samurai gangs for a few years and they're not going to be stopped by a curfew. The cops seem unwilling to pick up these gangsters, even though there's adequate existing laws to collar them. But I'm sure that won't be the case with innocent youngsters who aren't wandering about in a mob, the police will have no problem picking them up.

CABINET DECISION: Anger over midnight closing time

Published on Feb 11, 2004

The Cabinet yesterday endorsed a new regulation for a midnight closing time for most entertainment venues, while allowing nightspots in designated zones to stay open two hours longer.

After a brief discussion on the proposed regulation, the Cabinet agreed to an earlier decision by a government committee which called for different closing hours for nightspots in different zones, Deputy Interior Minister Pracha Maleenont told reporters yesterday.

Owners of night entertainment venues yesterday denounced the decision, labelling it a death sentence for businesses and bad news for tourism.

Deputy Prime Minister Purachai Piumsombun’s committee in charge of combating vice at entertainment venues proposed the different closing times on Friday. The new closing times come into effect on March 1.

All entertainment venues outside the designated areas, including food shops selling liquor and music, will now have to close at midnight instead of the current 2am.

In the designated zones, nightclubs and bars can stay open until 2am, while pubs and discotheques are required to close at 1am.

Shops selling khao tom (rice porridge) can stay open all night as they are not covered by the new law, Pracha said.

However, the shops must comply with relevant laws, such as the smoking ban at all food outlets.

In Bangkok, the zones designated for entertainment venues cover the Patpong area and New Phetchaburi and Ratchadaphisek Roads. The Interior Ministry regulation will be imposed under the Entertainment Venue Act, which came into effect early last month but sets no specific hours for entertainment venues.

Pracha voiced concern, however, that entertainmentvenue operators could take legal action against the Cabinet for breach of their constitutional rights.

But Purachai told the Cabinet he had no such worry, he said.

The deputy interior minister said that personally he believed the same service hours should be applied to all night entertainment venues to allow easier supervision and enforcement for authorities. But the ministry was ready to follow the decision.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra told the Cabinet yesterday that efficiency of enforcement rather than a possible violation of the Charter should be the main concern, the source said.

Somyos Suthangkoon, who heads an association of entertainmentvenue operators, said the early closing time would have a severe impact on most nightspots.

Allowing nightclubs and bars to stay open for only three hours a day was “strange”, compared to eight hours for massage parlours. “Everybody knows massage parlours is the front for what,” Somyos added.

Praphan Pumchaosuan, leader of entertainmentplace owners in the Patpong area, said yesterday that shorter service hours would drive away foreign tourists.

The new regulation will take effect in all provinces, except Chiang Mai, Lamphun, Samut Prakan and Uttaradit, where the zones for entertainment places have yet to be designated, deputy government spokeswoman Sansanee Nakapong said yesterday. In the four provinces, the current opening hours will be retained.

Praphan Pumchaosuan, leader of bar owners in Patpong, said yesterday shorter service hours would drive away foreign tourists.

The new rules will take effect nationwide, except in Chiang Mai, Lamphun, Samut Prakan and Uttaradit, where entertainment zones have yet to be designated.

Samatcha Hunsara,

Piyanart Srivalo

The Nation

http://203.150.224.53/page.news.php3?clid=...08070&usrsess=1

If Thaksins govt enforces these changes then I estimate that a large chunk of Thailands tourist industry will change their destinations to some of the many equally impressive surrounding countries (cambodia, vietnam, Laos, Malaysia) with more liberated, relaxed attitudes to nightlife.

Im still holding out that this doesnt actually come to pass but with this steam train picking up speed things are looking very sad indeed.

Guess time will tell- pretty silly thinking by the Thai Govt that imposing a earlier closing time will clean things up. All they are doing is losing dosh for businesses and tourism definitely will take a hit. :o I suppose we will wait/see what happens around the country when 1 Mar arrives.

Personally not too concerned since bars/pubs/discos never seem to close properly even at 1-2AM, but I suppose it all depends on how they crackdown.

Heading to NanPlaza in April- so I guess I'll see first hand-literally right around the corner from my hotel. I'll be gutted if I find things dead quiet after midnight. :o

By April the actual bars/ go-gos will bprobably be emptying out at midnight. Most of the action will be on Sukhumvit where I envisage ghetto blasters, impromptu podium dancers and disco lights.

As far as I am concerned it is the end of the night life as we knew it. What  will happen to Nana, as it is not in the zone? Isn't soi Cowboy, at the end of Ratchadpiesek???

Not the same Radchadapisek. You are talking about New Radchadapisek,...

Radchadapisek is the street where A LOT of the massage parlors catering to the Thai and Asians are located. And where A LOT of the massage parlors owners have political connections, to say the least,...

I dunno...night life employees will be out in force to protest the hypocracy of some moon faced populist and his corrupt associates and their absurd proposals.

Say it loud 'what if it were your daughter out there trying to make a living to support their family...'

you dumb piece of shit...