Living In The North East

paddy

Hello All,

Just looking for peoples thoughts / experiences on quality of life(for farang) in the North Eastern Provinces, particularly Udon and Khon Kaen.

Obvious things aside, how does it compare with living in Bangkok or the other Southern areas more facilitated for westerners?

With regards to legal issues or running a business, do normal Bangkok 'rules' apply?

Are there Forums specific to Isaan that somebody could point me to?

Thanks for the help, it would be greatly appreciated if some advice could be given.

Great Forum.

Life in Udon and KK is less hectic, and considerably cheaper, than Bangkok or the resorts. Plenty of all sorts of accommodation to rent or buy.

Comparing the two, KK has more of the night life that results from having uni. students in town, since it has very big uni. and colleges. Both have some of the night life that results from having some farangs (mostly retired men).

They are not dissimilar regarding day life, though we prefer Udon as it seems to have a more homely sort of atmosphere, and more friendly, relaxed police.

We find that living out in the country, but close to the highway, suits us. We can be in either KK or Udon in less than an hour.

The small towns (Amphurs) have a lot to be said for them. You have facilities like Post Office, 7-11, big markets, Police Station which you don't get in a small village. But everybody still knows everybody else in town, unlike a city. Only problem might be if you wanted to rent accommodation, as they don't have apartments or houses to rent, that I know of. But you can buy a plot of land and have a house built on it very cheaply by Western standards.

Paddy, if you can live up there somewhere - do it. There is so much on offer that most take for granted. You have access to good facilities, air transport, very good road transport, clean air, good hospitals and all sorts of things. The trick is to make a life and not to look for it or wait for it to come to you. get involved in the community in some way and be positive.

Another aspect of being up there is the proximity to Laos and in the near future Vietnam. As the land bridges between Mekong countries are developed, you will find a large number of people travelling through your area en-route to Laos and Vietnamby road.

Look at Nakon Phanom and Mukdahan, these places will become hubs for transport through to Laos and Vietnam. the roads in Laos are going to be upgraded in future to allow fast driving access to central Vientam. One current border crossing at Luk Xao in Laos, is anamazing drive through the mountains to a wild west type timber town full of animal and timber poachers.

Anyway, I digress. Th ebasic message is if you can live up there ...do it ! What a great place to be.

Thanks all, the help is very much appreciated.

As a matter of fact I'm sold! I've spent some time in the Khon Kaen area before but never enough to be fully sure of a permanent move there, but the replies to my post have certainly made me feel a lot more confident.

Thanks again,

Paddy.