Seeking Information: Bali, Indonesia

ivan96822

Obviously, this is not related to Thailand, but I wanted to hopefully gain some insight from those living in South-East Asia (and other parts of the globe) who may perhaps have intimate knowledge of Bali, Indonesia.

Some of the things I like most about Thailand is the nightlife, access to women, and availability of relatively cheap alcohol. Though some will argue that Bangkok is no longer cheap, I find it to be very reasonable and within my budget. It does not hurt that the laws are rather loose, too. I am wondering if any of you have traveled to Bali and could tell of your experiences there?

I am thinking of spending a few months in that part of the globe. I am a white American, in my thirties, and my main pursuits with my downtime are pursuing women, drinking, and going out on a nightly basis.

That said, what are your thoughts on spending time in Bali? For those of you who have been to that region, did you enjoy your time there? How does it compare to Bangkok?

Please let me know.

Thank you for reading.

Very positive response! Thanks!

Did you put a brew a brew in your hand, go out, and socialize?

Never mind! I don't want to know! Have a nice day.

That said, what are your thoughts on spending time in Bali? For those of you who have been to that region, did you enjoy your time there? How does it compare to Bangkok?

Thats what you asked. I told you. Going out is great if you enjoy ten thousand drunk kids on their end of year footy trips. Bangkok kills Bali.

Thats my thoughts. Go for it and find out for yourself. Make sure you drop past the shrine to the hundreds that got blown up by the locals and pay your respects, also keep your wits about you in the bars and clubs.

Have a nice day.

Edited by krisb

Ivan, I have lived in Jakarta for 23 years and my wife and I have gone to Bali Island several times over the years. Most of the times were too just get away for a long weekend when the 12 to 14 hour days were getting to me and the stress level was high. We normal stayed outside of Denpasar (the main city where the airport is and most call Bali) Denpasar is too many expats, conmen, the heat is extreme and to many sellers of cheap crap with small kids and sellers following expats around for change. Plus you need to be careful in some bars there, many stories recently in the press where expats are dying or becoming blind after drinking homemade alcohol sold in some bars. Those bars in Denpasar are notorious for taking advantage of tourists.

We could only stand it for a day maybe 2 and we got the hell out. Went to Ubud (about a 2 hour drive away, higher up and cooler), there is a hotel there called The Maya 4/5 star hotel, some rooms have there own private pool others do not. We also went to the Aman Resorts hotle in Central denpasar about 2 1/2 hours drive away from the main airport. Great place to stay, relax with your favorite girl and forget about work ect ect. The villas are perched on the side of hill over looking the ocen between Bali and Lombok island, truly beautiful place but not cheap but if you are an Indonesian resident or citizen you get a 50% discount on the rates.

As for staying on Bali Island personally I would choose Ubud for a few days (take a girl with you) or going for a few months you can find someone quite easily but neither Ubud or Denpasar is anything close to BKK or even Jakarta when you talk about girls.

Want more info, go to an expat Bali forum based in Denpasar it is called Balipod and check them out they can tell you what is what.

Ivan, I found that story I was just reading, there are more stories like this, be careful

INDONESIAN drinking holes linked to death and injury of Aussie tourists are defiantly continuing to sell dangerous alcohol laced with ''industrial grade methylated spirits''.

The Gili Trawangan venue where Perth carpenter Liam Davies consumed alcohol on New Year's Eve - then died a few days later of suspected methanol poisoning - is selling vodka containing the potentially lethal chemical.

Happy Cafe in Senggigi, Lombok where Sydney nurse Jamie Johnston consumed the traditional Balinese spirit Arak in 2011, then suffered brain and kidney damage, is serving drinks from a bottled labelled Jose Cuervo tequila containing ''significant levels of methanol''.

Independent scientific testing commissioned by News Ltd last week confirmed also that both businesses are selling alcoholic drinks labelled Malibu rum and Disaronno amaretto containing double the alcohol content as is stated on the source bottles.

Scientists said the methanol detected in the samples were consistent with ''the use of industrial grade methylated spirits''.

In the wake of News Ltd's special investigation, the government last night announced it would revise its official advice provided to Australians visiting Indonesia, and would recommend pre-bottled drinks - such as beer - were the best way to avoid methanol drinks.

And there were renewed calls for the government to take urgent action with Indonesian authorities to ensure no more lives are claimed as a result of dangerous cocktails.

Mr Davies' father travelled to Indonesia last weekend to begin searching for answers over his son's death and told News Ltd there was a ''worrying'' lack of understanding in the Southeast Asian country about methanol and how it can have fatal consequences.

''There is a general lack of awareness and that is surprising given how many people, including locals, have died and become sick,'' Tim Davies said.

In 2009, 23 people died in Lombok and the surrounding islands from methanol poisoning.

Australia's Bali Consul-General has met in recent days with Indonesian police and health officials to express concern about the increased number of methanol-related incidents. Brett Farmer said the Indonesian government was concerned how negative publicity could impact on the country's tourism trade.

News Ltd has been told by numerous Indonesian hospitality sources that methanol is added to drinks at bars and nightclubs so they can make their products go further, and consequently lead to an increased profit margin.

The country has a high alcohol tax of more than 200 per cent on some products.

Director of the Melbourne-based laboratory commissioned by News Ltd to test alcoholic samples taken from Indonesia, described the results as shocking, and said people consuming liquor like the products analysed were putting themselves in harm's way.

John Franceschini said methanol was detected at a level of 2.5 per cent in a bottle of vodka purchased from Rudy's Bar and Restaurant.

''Exposure to Methanol of any sort is not great,'' Mr Franceschini said.

''A result of 2.5 per cent is...above any acceptable levels currently being considered and is therefore potentially hazardous to anyone regularly consuming the product.''

He added that while one drink may not cause significant problems ''regular usage or binge usage could be quite dangerous at this level''.

University of Sydney Professor of Medicine Paul Haber said methanol ''can be fatal when consumed...it can cause blindness or death''.

Currently the government's travel advisory warns against methanol and urges travellers to be cautious of the chemical.

But with no way for drinkers to know if their drink actually contains methanol, a spokesman for Foreign Minister Bob Carr last night said the advice was to change.

The spokesman said drinking bottled products was the safest option.

Drinking at ''reputable places like The Westin'' was also advisable.

Meanwhile, Indonesian police have finally begun investigating the death of Liam Davies, a month after he died.

His father and mother met with local police last week and they are calling for manslaughter charges to be laid against the bar owners where their son spent New Years Eve with friends.

The Davies family and Liam's New Zealand-based aunty were establishing a charity to fund medical equipment for popular Indonesian party areas which would be used to detect methanol levels in patients' blood.

Liam was initially - and incorrectly - diagnosed with a brain aneurism by Lombok doctors.

It was not until he was airlifted to Perth that his actual medical condition was known.

Perth police are currently investigating Liam's death on behalf of the coroner.

Father Tim Davies said his wife and two other sons continued to be emotionally torn following Liam's tragic passing.

''Words can't describe the sorrow and pain, it is like a bad dream, and all because of some silly dangerous drink.''

What is methanol?

Methanol is a poisonous liquid that is colourless and odourless. It should never be consumed. When consumed methanol can cause extreme dizziness, severe headaches and seizures. Methanol poisoning can render a person temporarily blind or cause blurred vision. The digestive system will attempt to reject methanol causing severe stomach pain and nausea. Consumption can disrupt liver and pancreatic function. Consumption can be fatal. Methanol is produced through poor distillation methods. It’s a sign of badly produced alcohol and the effects are immediate. Some medical experts say methanol is intentionally added to liquor in Indonesia because it is cheap and potent.

A drink to die for . . .

- Liam Davies, 19, from Perth, died in January this year after drinking a Vodka mix containing methanol from Rudy's Bar and Restaurant on Gili Trawangan.

- Jamie Johnston, then 25 of Sydney, suffered brain damage and kidney failure from a methanol laced jug of Arak from the Happy Cafe on Lombok in September 2011.

- Michael Denton, 29, of Perth died in Sanglah Hospital, Bali, of methanol poisoning after drinking a cocktail on a rugby trip.

- Johan Lundin, 28, a Swedish national, died in June last year after drinking a mojito at Suma Suma bar on Gili Trawangan.

- In 2009, 23 people died in Lombok and the surrounding islands from methanol poisoning.

How the testing was done

News Ltd travelled to Indonesia and purchased alcohol from the bars implicated in today's investigation. The venues were not told the samples were being tested by an Australian media organisation. The samples were submitted to leading Melbourne laboratory Sharp and Howells and tested for alcohol content, ethanol content and methanol content. The company was established in 1922 and is accredited with the National Association of Testing Authorities. The tests completed by Sharp and Howells were paid for and not the result of any advertising arrangement with News Ltd.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/special-investigation-indonesian-bars-continue-to-serve-poison-booze-despite-aussie-deaths/story-e6frfq80-1226567388308#ixzz2K6cztfMN

Thanks, thai bound for the input...

I prefer to drink beer and mix my own drinks anyways, so I should be good.

I plan on staying for approximately two months. I do plan on probably taking a trip or two to Jakarta, and probably do at least a week in good old Bangkok for the heck of it, but my boots will be on the ground primarily in the Kuta area.

Your thoughts/opinions on the Kuta nightlife/women/party situation?

Thanks!

Thanks, thai bound for the input...

I prefer to drink beer and mix my own drinks anyways, so I should be good.

I plan on staying for approximately two months. I do plan on probably taking a trip or two to Jakarta, and probably do at least a week in good old Bangkok for the heck of it, but my boots will be on the ground primarily in the Kuta area.

Your thoughts/opinions on the Kuta nightlife/women/party situation?

Thanks!

Just like everything in Indonesia it can be as cheap or as expensive as you can afford and as sedate or crazy and wild as you want.

Kuta Nightlife: as sedate or as wild as you want. Just be careful of spiking of drinks, beer ect ect Kuta bars are very notorious but as I said seriously check with the guys on Balipod they can point you int he right up to date direction. I have spent all of a total of maybe 7 days in Kuta (between work and play) over the 23 years I have lived here, Ubud and the north is the place to be if you take your own sqeeze.

Women: Again as sedate or as wild as you want, but there are some bad seeds so be careful.

Parties: Cops always wanting to hassle and shake down tourists specifically, plant drugs on you ect ect just be careful.

Also note there are a lot of Expat conmen all over Bali Island so be careful..

Edited by Thailand Bound

Bali sucks. Hated it never again.

Agree 100% - incredibly overrated, and the Indonesian government hasnt helped by relocating many Javanese to the island in the mistaken belief that the tourist dollar would extend to feeding and housing everyone. I took a Thai GF to Bali in 2008, and the highlights (!) were:

- every Balinese / Indo taxi driver tried to chat her up in Bahasa

- if I want to see Aussies getting drunk and making fools of themselves, I can do that right here in Oz

- Ubud is, indeed, very beautiful - just like the postcards - but many other tourists have the same idea.

- Uluwatu is a spooky place but seeing that side of the island in the dry season was a massive shock

- I would rate the food as 'edible', but my Thai companion wasn't happy

- the street vendors are the most aggressive I have encountered anywhere in Asia, including southern China

Jakarta, by contrast, is an absolute blast once you get past the incredible traffic. I would also recommend KL over Kuta as a nightlife destination - both will cost you more money than Bali, but the VFM equation is much better. Bali would have been an amazing place in 1970, and I expect that there are still pockets where that remains the case, but as a nightlife destination I'd give it 2 / 10. Strictly for young football players and their slapper girlfriends.