Buying Organic Meat In Cm

Andreas84

I previously bought at Baan Suan Pak store. But now they only sell organic pork, no chicken or anything else.

I know that at Rimping near the airport, they sell some grassfed beefs from New Zealand, and they sell some whole organic local chicken (including its feet with nails, its head etc). This seems a bit overkill for me to handle - I am not used to buy the whole animal, and it might also be a bit too much work cooking it and separating the meat from the bones after cooking, I prefer fillets.

I am aware of Hamza Farm, having an outlet near Chiang Mai Land, but have not been there. They do sell fillet of goat and some other animals, right?

Are there any other good sources for organic meat in CM at the moment, especially for fillets?

• 9 months later...

I am aware of Hamza Farm, having an outlet near Chiang Mai Land, but have not been there. They do sell fillet of goat and some other animals, right?

Are there any other good sources for organic meat in CM at the moment, especially for fillets?

I am too looking for organic meat. I am not aware of Hamza Farms. Where/what is Chiang Mai Land? I tried to PM you but because of Thaivisa rules i had to wait. If you have any info to share please do in PM or out in the open.

isnt all meat organic (of or relating to a living entity)?

For meat organicwould mean that the animal is kept according to his natural needs ,a pig is not kept in a concret pen but is free ranged where it can dig for roots and graze on greens and the food you feed him is of reasonable "clean" origin.

I was talking to a farmer where i buy my organic veg from what about growing some nice free ranged pork.

And he said it is possible but would people pay more for it.As it would cost a bit more to grow them. It will take the pigs a bit longer to grow as in intensive pen farming

So public opinion please!At a price of 140thb/kg. for pen grown pork how much would or could YOU pay more?For happy pig meat

I consider buying "organic" food in Thailand a lot like going to a karaoke bar. You might not get cheated, but there is a very good chance that you will. However, with organic food, at least you will never know it.

As to the other post/thread..... you will know it for sure if they try and charge you 47,000 baht for 2 kilos.

New headline ..."Govenor to Crack Down on Unorganic Meat Men"

Organic is tricky

Grass fed is the most desirable type of meat.

An animal could be fed organic grains and grain proteins and still be high in inflammatory Omega 6 fatty acids and fungi (mycotoxins) that grow on carbohydrate substrates.

Plenty of beef and lamb around town. Mostly from Aus and NZ.

A little goes a long way when it comes to burning body fat.

Rimping carries "S Pure" brand chicken and pork which is a Betagro product. It appears to be organic, at least in part. They advertise no hormones, no antibiotics, etc but the labeling is all Thai and I can't read too good. Be interested to know more about this brand.

Rimping carries "S Pure" brand chicken and pork which is a Betagro product. It appears to be organic, at least in part. They advertise no hormones, no antibiotics, etc but the labeling is all Thai and I can't read too good. Be interested to know more about this brand.

I think you are partly right. I asked the sales at Rimping, they don't sell S'Pure chicken, that is Betagro chicken, which is what you mentioned about no hormones .....etc. Don't be misled by the label on the shelf. they sell both S'Pure and Betagro pork though. The sales said S'Pure is closer to Organic, that's why it's pork is more expensive.

I am also looking for S'Pure chicken too!

I consider buying "organic" food in Thailand a lot like going to a karaoke bar. You might not get cheated, but there is a very good chance that you will. However, with organic food, at least you will never know it.

True enough. Thais in a position to know have told me that farmers routinely 'cheat' in this regard; even when there is a modicum of initial verification by he buyer/labeler of the produce, the farmer may go out to put in insecticide or chemical fertiliser under cover of night. Even the so-called 'Royal Project' stuff would not escape this.The only way to be sure is to buy from someone whom you know and who grows the stuff largely for personal/family consumption - not for commerce.

I've failed to find organic chicken in any shop - including Rimping (which does have eggs claiming to be organic, Betagro and other). As to goat's meat, yes Hamza Farms - but I haven't seen the outlet either and I don't believe it exists. So you're left with buying an entire goat from him, which won't be cheap.

Seems to me that after chemicals, hormones etc the other 'pollutant' is feed that is not the animal's natural food; e.g. maize/corn instead of grass.

Of course all this is geared to the selfish aspect of the consumer's taste or health. I think the aspect of horrific cruelty that the animal suffers from intensive/industrial farming is at least as important a consideration.

Most local beef that you can get at almost any public market is grass fed and fresh slaughtered at a fraction of the price of beef anywhere. I know, because the cowboys graze their Brahma beef in the pastures all around my house and DO NOT supplement the grass with any grains.........................therefor it is tough, but tasty and have to cook long time or grind it.

Funny thing is that most all the slaughtering and marketing is done by Muslims.

Was told by manager that Northern Farm is known for it's tasty, sometimes tender meats and there are 2 reasons their meat is tender and tasty.

1] it's pen fed before slaughter for a short time [but, what do they feed it??]

2] they are one of the few beef sellers that hang their meat to cure for a couple of weeks.

Most local beef that you can get at almost any public market is grass fed and fresh slaughtered at a fraction of the price of beef anywhere. I know, because the cowboys graze their Brahma beef in the pastures all around my house and DO NOT supplement the grass with any grains.........................therefor it is tough, but tasty and have to cook long time or grind it.

Funny thing is that most all the slaughtering and marketing is done by Muslims.

Re your last comment, it's not so strange because thai religion has some affinity to hinduism and therefore would be chary of slaughtering cows.