Ipad Internet Usage

sceadugenga

I recently spent time in a country where I had to purchase a prepaid internet option for my iPad3 and was some what startled to find it churns up 200-300mb a day even after I stopped updating my many apps.

That's just doing email, reading online newspapers and a little social networking.

Does this seem excessive?

watching 1 youtube clip a day would do that. or facebook video.

update to the latest iOS version too, 6.1. The initial 6.0 release had a bug where it would use up lots of data, if I recall correctly. But that was fixed in the first point release, I guess 6.0.1.

If you want to be sure, turn on airport mode any time you don't use it, and see if your data usage improves. In airplane mode the iPad disconnects from all networks. Also saves lots of battery.

I have a 3G iPad but have removed the SIM now - traded the small inconvenience to tether through the phone for the following advantages:

- Much better battery life

- Not having to maintain the other SIM card, top it up, monitor data use, etc

- Not having to pay for the other sim card

Edited by nikster
  • Like 1

Thanks for that, I upgraded this week to the 6.1.

I only have the wifi version as I already had a remote connection bizzo that I used for my laptop.

Turning on the plane flight mode is a good idea and I'll certainly give it a try when I'm away from my lovely unlimited internet connection again in a couple of weeks.

• 3 months later...

Is there an Internet card I can purchase for prepaid wireless service for my iPad 3 ( no sim card) which only has wireless access, and does not have 3G access?

I spent about an hour looking for a topic close to my question, or a way to start a new topic, and this is the closest one I could find. As my profile confirms I am a newbie, so I will appreciate any help from anyone.

I believe you can walk into any 3bb office and buy a wifi prepaid thingy. Not sure of TOT or True.

Thank you, but as I understand it, that's not possible with a wifi only iPad. There is a portable device though, such as a Huewei E585, that some refer to as pocket wifi, that allows what I'm looking to do. I was hoping someone had some knowledge of, or experince with this option, and if one is available to buy on Samui, or if not where?? There was a thread on this from 2011, but it's been archived, Pocket Wifi Huewei E585 - Works With Dtac Edge? Started by CrossBones, 2011-01-24 02:23

Thanks.

Do you use an iPad?

No I haven't checked with TOT. I am not going to be in Thailand until one week and was trying to find out in advance what my options are. Thank you.

If you bring your iPad around where some place got no Wifi hotspot and you gonna stay here for a month, try a small 3G plan with unlimited EDGE of SIM provider, so you don't have to worry about exceeded usage. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I have THE huawei mifi Device. Works Great. , even in à omving car.. It can connect up to 5 devices like iPods and iPads.I have an ais sim in it

I really want to thank ALL the responders to my question, especially robin33, who actually understood and replied to my specific question. Thanks to your reply, I found at Tesco Lotos an AIS pocket wifi for 1990 baht that came with a sim card and 500mb of 3G service, and after using can be topped off for a monthly fee of 399 baht for 1GB of use or 799 baht for 4GB of use, and then unlimited free use of a slower speed 3G service for the rest of the month on either plan (2 & 3GB plans avail also). It works great as robin33 said, even in a small village I am now visiting. Thanks again robin33! Those were the details I was asking for.

Hopefully my details above will help another person like myself, that is not residing in Thailand yet, or maybe even can help someone living here that travels and doesn't want to pay the high rate a hotel charges for an internet access card, or as robin33 points out, works even in a moving car (please be safe robin33 :-) ).

Also a shout to thank somtamnication for making me feel so welcome to the forum as a newbie, ie: "3g is superfluous if you have wifi citywide." (I don't), "Have you even asked them?", and "As you won't accept our answers, then it is best you get down here and do the walking yourself."

I've enjoyed reading and learning from this forum for many years and finally decided to join and ask my first question. I'll try to follow your advice BEFORE posting any more questions, as I never see any redundancies from other OP's on this site (ha ha).