Living In Thailand But Want Civil Partnership In Uk

My Thai partner and I live together in Thailand for nearly 10 years. We want a civil partnership in UK while on holiday there. Then we will come back and continue living here. He has been to UK with me on tourist visa 5 years ago.

Does he need a special "visa to marry" or can he travel on normal touist visa?

UK Passport Agency web site claims that:- Since 9 May 2011, you do not need to obtain a Certificate of Approval before you marry or register your civil partnership

Many Thanks for any advice

A marriage/civil partnership visit visa is the one you should apply for. It is valid for 6 months (as are the majority of visit visas). Reasons to return should be easy if you are living/settled in Thailand. It will help if you can show marriage plans (where you plan to marry and when). Hotel/accommodation plans/itinerary such as email enquiries and replies from hotels or letters from family.

Emails to and replies from the Registrar asking and receiving advice are useful.

I am pretty sure you will not be able to book the ceremony but the Registrar should be able to advise. Get this by email to build up a picture of your plans even if you cannot make formal arrangements in advance of the visit.

http://www.ukba.home...ng/marriage-cp/

http://www.ukba.home...ip/eligibility/

You can (apparently) get married on an ordinary visit visa now the COA is not needed but it is better to be totally open about your plans. ECO's are generally pretty reasoable at issuing visas if you provide them with enough evidence.

Edited by bobrussell

Since May 2011 it has been possible to marry or register a civil partnership in the UK whilst there as an ordinary visitor without obtaining a Certificate of Approval.

However, since your, or rather your partner's, reason for visiting the UK is to register your civil partnership then he should apply for the appropriate visa; see visitor for marriage or civil partnership and the links from there.

See also How do you give notice to marry or register a civil partnership with a registrar? Note that the procedure is slightly different depending on whether you will be registering your partnership in England and Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

I am sure that you are aware that this will be visit visa and so cannot be converted into settlement whilst in the UK and that, like any visit visa, he will have to leave the UK when or before his visa expires.

You do know that Thailand wont recognise your civil partnership, unless the law has changed recently, don't you?

BTW, have you seen this?

Edit: must type faster, Bob beat me to it!

Edited by 7by7

Thank you both your your help. Much appreciated. Yes I know marriage is now an options but I am not a religious person. Perhaps a Buddhist ceremony in the UK would be an idea :-) Yes I know it will not be recognised in Thailand but 'mai pen rai' - maybe one day.

Thank You again for taking the time to reply