Pheu Thai ' Does Not Interfere In Surveys'

webfact

Pheu Thai 'does not interfere in surveys'

Somroutai Sapsomboon

Anapat Deechuay

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Election Committee will decide tomorrow whether to investigate all pollsters over allegations that they had fabricated opinion surveys to influence decision of voters in the upcoming gubernatorial election.

Thaweesak Tuchinda, the chairman of the Bangkok election panel, said his panel was gathering more information for making a decision tomorrow.

newsjs

Thaweesak said his panel took up the issue for discussion yesterday after Sanhapoj Suksrimuang, an independent candidate file a complaint with his panel, alleging that certain pollsters had not properly conducted surveys in line with academic principles.

Thaweesak said if the committee finds that any pollster had improperly conducted a survey, it would be summoned for questioning.

If there is ground to suspect the practice, the pollster will face charges for violating Article 57 of the local election act and could face a maximum jail term of 10 years and a maximum fine of Bt200,000 plus a ten-year political ban.

Recent surveys showed that Pheu Thai candidate Pongsapat Pongcharoen was leaving other candidates far behind in term of approval rating.

In another development, Pheu Thai Party leader and Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan yesterday denied his party had interfered in opinion surveys conducted by Suan Dusit Rajabhat University.

Charupong was reacting to a statement by Manit Suksomchit, who has quit as Suan Dusit Rajabhat University Council chairman following his belief the university had allegedly conducted opinion surveys to please the government.

Charupong said he knew nothing about alleged interference in the survey's organisation but, as the party leader and interior minister, he was ensuring that party members did not interfere in the surveys and would not violate the laws.

"I repeat that we have not interfered in the works of Suan Dusit Poll, and we treat everyone with respect," Charupong said.

He said Pheu Thai did not attach much importance to opinion survey results because the party was focusing on its policies, which it has been selling to Bangkok voters.

Charupong said the university was hired to organise the public hearings on charter amendments because it was considered as being neutral. He said he did not attempt to interfere in the hearing's organisation, but he simply wanted the university to select representatives from all walks of life for the hearings.

Manit yesterday reiterated that he resigned so he could answer questions as to why Suan Dusit Poll had designed questionnaires for several surveys in the way that it had.

Manit said he objected to the university's agreeing to be hired by the government to organise 108 hearings on charter amendment. He said he was among the 2007 charter drafters so he disagreed with the plan to amend it.

He confirmed yesterday that a survey by the university whose results were announced on December 20 had been the last straw for him. The survey asked respondents which politicians they would wish to survive if the world ended. Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra was picked by most of the respondents.

Meanwhile, Phumtham Vejchayachai, director of Pheu Thai's Bangkok election centre, said Pheu Thai had not interfered in the results of any opinion survey.

Dr Noppadol Kannikar, director of the Abac Poll of Assumption University, said allegations of biased surveys always came up before elections.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-07

"I repeat that we have not interfered in the works of Suan Dusit Poll, and we treat everyone with respect," Charupong said.

He said Pheu Thai did not attach much importance to opinion survey results because the party was focusing on its policies, which it has been selling to Bangkok voters.

What a bunch of crooks.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much...

Of course they are interfering, the same way they will (try to) interfere with the actual voting - they are scared shitless they wont win Bangkok, and rightly so, and will stop at nothing to manipulate the vote in their favour.

Manit yesterday reiterated that he resigned so he could answer questions as to why Suan Dusit Poll had designed questionnaires for several surveys in the way that it had.

The already dubious nature and questionable validity of the various polling groups manages to sink even further.

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

I do not think the PT interferes in the polling processes.

They determine the out come before hand pay there money and leave it up to the pollsters to come up with those decisions. It is a good business here in Thailand.

What do you want the poll to say we will for X ____whatever have a poll that conforms to your predetermined answer you need not interfere we are really good at it. We are collages and universities and while we may not be able to educate people we know how to take honest polls with predetermined results.wai2.gif

P. S. We are far better at water management than the Dutch.wai2.gif

What was the exact wording in the survey that could have led to these allegations?

eg- your preference for governor is (a) a ptp party member or (B) a ptp party member or © a ptp party member.

If so, then this is NOT simply a case of a guy grandstanding his disappointment with public opinion and seeking to shoot the messenger.

Nobody ever influences polling agencies. Polls are bogus by nature in Thailand. The democrats are just sore losers, they are even losing in Bangkok, so their only support comes from the Southern insurgents from now on.

"their only support comes from the Southern insurgents"

While I'd agree that the Dems are probably only 2nd-place currently, I'm surprised to learn that they have terrorist supporters, I thought that was PTP ?!

Do you have any source for this claim ? wink.png

• Like 2

Quote: He said Pheu Thai did not attach much importance to opinion survey results because the party was focusing on its policies, which it has been selling to Bangkok voters.

Charupong said the university was hired to organise the public hearings on charter amendments because it was considered as being neutral. He said he did not attempt to interfere in the hearing's organisation, but he simply wanted the university to select representatives from all walks of life for the hearings.

Something fishy here. If they don't 'attach much importance' to surveys then why do they organise them?

Another one talking out of both sides of his mouth.

The Nation piece is a bit disjointed- the PTP did not organize the poll- They organized public hearings re charter ammendments.

Suksrimuang has complained to the EC because the poll was not designed according to academic principles (unlike those highly scientific Abac polls we are treated with from time to time).

Manit says the problem is in the design of the questionaires-

And of course the Nation couldn't be bothered finding one of the questionaires and reprinting it so that the public can have some idea of what the problem is.

Manit claims implies that only by resigning can he spill the beans on WHY the questionaire was designed wrong. (ill educated colleagues perhaps?- no- wait- Thaksin- that's why it was designed wrong. Thaksin designed it. Case closed.

Nobody ever influences polling agencies. Polls are bogus by nature in Thailand. The democrats are just sore losers, they are even losing in Bangkok, so their only support comes from the Southern insurgents from now on.

My wife's an insurgent? Bloody Hell.

Mine too? And she's from Chiang Mai.

Got to thinking how these polls could influance voters one way or the other.

Seems to me there are three ways:

1. He's winning in the polls so he must have great policies, so I should vote for him.

2. Oh he's way ahead dosent need my vote I might as well stay at home.

3. Dont want that clown to win better get out and vote for his opposition

Any more ideas out there?

Got to thinking how these polls could influance voters one way or the other.

Seems to me there are three ways:

1. He's winning in the polls so he must have great policies, so I should vote for him.

2. Oh he's way ahead dosent need my vote I might as well stay at home.

3. Dont want that clown to win better get out and vote for his opposition

Any more ideas out there?

Don't forget the opportunity to stir up the rabble, similar to their threats during the general elections. "The polls said our man will win, so if he doesn't it must be because the Democrats cheated. Burn the place down".

• Like 1

Any competent pollster can skew a poll to get a result they pre-determine.

The PTP publicizes the pollster that gets results they like.

The Dems do the same with another polster.

The big pollsters also do 'polls for hire' for big contracts,

and those can be 'steered to them' by members of the large parties.

The independents get squat,

because there are no, or less benefits to the polsters to push them.

Edited by animatic

The already dubious nature and questionable validity of the various polling groups manages to sink even further.

As a matter of interest have you ever (to save me checking) on this forum quoted a poll's findings? If you have, is your scepticism of polling results confined to findings which you find unacceptable?

My own take is that polling organisations in Thailand may lack the professionalism and credible methodology of some other countries.On the other hand the expertise is undoubtedly present because corporate consumer surveys operate here at a very advanced level (using much the same methodology as opinion polls).

I would have a further thought accepting hypothetically that political parties have the ability to affect poll findings.How does one know what the outcome would be? In other words if PTP "fixed" a poll to show a commanding victory, would this be an incentive or disincentive for voters to come out or stay at home? It all sounds a bit self defeating to me.

My own take is that polling organisations in Thailand may lack the professionalism and credible methodology of some other countries.On the other hand the expertise is undoubtedly present because corporate consumer surveys operate here at a very advanced level (using much the same methodology as opinion polls).

Could you explain how you come to the 'expertise is undoubtedly present' and why you think corp. cons. surveys operate on a very advanced level and why that would be relevant given the lack of credible methodology? wai.gif

the record of the polls in the UK back to 1983 shows the opposite: parties that appear popular do less well than the polls suggest, while those that appear to be less popular do better......

Nick Sparrow

Pollster and former chairman,

ICM Research

http://www.research-live.com/features/head-to-head/do-polls-shape-public-opinion?/4007008.article

It seems the TV polsters are out in force on this thread coffee1.gif

This reminds me of the journalist being paid to write positive articles about Yingluck during the last election, whatever came out of it in the end? (I suspect it will be similar to what comes out of this now)

It came out of old Thaksin's rear end, and it was named Yingluck.

Edited by gemini81