Estate Agency Shirking Responsibility?

theosiris

We have recently had a difference in opinion with our current tenants, The Agency up until this point have been resolving such problems as would an agency back home in England. After all, we are paying 10% of the monthly rent to the agency.

As the latest request from the tenant has been deemed un-resolvable, the agency are trying to pass contact numbers on to myself. That is most undesirable as they seem to be fussy buggars to say the least.

Where do I stand? Is it a finders fee? do they operate in the same manner as in England? or are they another reason for concern amongst the many in Thailand?!

Comments welcome...

I would see it as their role to be mediator for sure, but there are limits to what they can do. Might need to know more of the story...am interested to hear what an 'un-resolvable' issue might be, and if it is un-resolvable, what can you expect the agents to do? Will you share more?

I would see it as their role to be mediator for sure, but there are limits to what they can do. Might need to know more of the story...am interested to hear what an 'un-resolvable' issue might be, and if it is un-resolvable, what can you expect the agents to do? Will you share more?

Is there anything in the contract about the agents responsibilities? Was the scope of the agents responsbilities discussed verbally.

I've used various agents, as a landlord, in Pattaya, some upfront said they would get involved, as far as reasonable to try to mediate / sort problems with the tenants. Some said, they take their one month commission and that's it, bye bye. One said if I wanted him to mediate, arrange cleaners etc, small repairs, etc, they he wanted 30% of each months rent (after taking the full first month). II said no thanks.

10% of the rent, does the tenant pay 100% to the agent, then the agent transfers 90% to you.

Is the tenant quite unreasonable, therefore the agent simply cannot resolve all matters to your satifaction (remembering also the the agent will be trying to build a positive working relationship with the tenant.

I had one very unreasonable tenant (a farang woman) who played all sorts of games every month when the rent was due. Her demands were way beyond what the agent could negotiate. In fact at first the agent tried, but the agent listened and then referred to me for an answer, the agent gave the response, and each time the tenant then said, 'no, that's not what I meant, go back to the owner and explain again all with more unreasonable requests.

After 4 or 5 months (12 months lease) she had the pool equipment fully replaced without any discussion whatever with me (it was less than one year old and in good condition) because she claimed that the motor was too big and costing too much to run, which wasn't true. She sent me the bill for the refit. I refused to pay and told her to get out within 7 days (from memory) and no refund of deposit.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

I second that.

Perhaps there are legal issues involved that go beyond the contract with your real estate agent?