Thai Children Prone To Obesity, High Cholesterol

webfact

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Habits picked up from fat Americans.

I don't think so. Next time you go for a so called Thai traditional (Malaysian) roti, just look at what goes into to.

It cannot be that in its original form it was fried with a ton of margarine, topped off with condensed milk and a sprinkling of sugar. Sure it tastes great, but it is the endless search for the sweetest, saltiest, extreme flavour that has happened in the Thai food industry. Everything is just too the extreme. Have a pad thai and just see how much cheap cooking oil goes into each massive bowl for frying, then look how many spoons of sugar go in? Since when did a bowl of noodles need sugar? Truly a bizarre combination.

The sugar industry in Thailand is so powerful they get the price subsidized in the domestic market, as though it is some kind of human necessity to have greater volumes of refined sugar available.

• Like 2

Just children? When was the last time you visited a local bar? The girls are getting bigger all the time. The diet is changing. More fried foods, chips, and junk. Fast foods too. The Thai people are not being given any nutritional counseling. They do not have a clue. So, what happens?

“Thai children prefer sweet, fat and salty food."

And what should be the problem with salty?

High blood pressure?

not really for young and healthy people

Yes it is. Not salt. TOO MUCH salt!

too much salt will be washed out by the kidneys the salt level in the body remain absolutely the same....people who work in sea water and get a mouth full of salt water several times per day don't have any more or less blood pressure.

http://www.taste.com.../pad krapow moo

2 tbs oyster sauce

1 tbs fish sauce

2 tsp caster sugar

2 tbs peanut oil

550g pork fillet, thinly sliced

1 red capsicum, halved, seeded, coarsely chopped

2 long fresh red chillies, halved, seeded, thinly sliced

2 garlic cloves, finely chopped

150g green round beans, trimmed

80ml (1/3 cup) water

1 cup fresh Thai basil leaves

Steamed jasmine rice (optional), to serve

Even the recipes in Australia recommend adding sugar. Please tell me where on earth did anyone get refined sugar in Thailand to any great volume so that even padkrapow got a dose in its original form.

Funny thing is, the first comment about the recipe from an Australian is

Love this meal, very easy and really tasty (1.5 yr old loves it too). I don't see any need to put the sugar in, i halved the amount and it was still too sweet, will avoid completely next time.
Edited by Thai at Heart

too much salt will be washed out by the kidneys the salt level in the body remain absolutely the same....people who work in sea water and get a mouth full of salt water several times per day don't have any more or less blood pressure.

This is getting silly. Those people SPIT it out!
  • Like 1

“Thai children prefer sweet, fat and salty food."

And what should be the problem with salty?

High blood pressure?

not really for young and healthy people

but for little fat lazy kids filling thier faces with sweet fatty salty foods.

the fat, lazy, sweet, fatty (maybe add the white rice, and the chemicals) is the problem. Not the salt....but OK in these extreme conditions it may add to the problem.

I try to limit the amount of crap that my 7 year old eats. It's a battle though, her Mother actually thinks that she is being good to her child by bringing home loads of sweet fatty cakes, milkshakes and cookies.

At least I've managed to replace the sweet condensed milk on sweet white bread with honey on wholemeal. A small step, but at least in the right direction.

Habits picked up from fat Americans.

When in doubt, blame America! sick.gif

actually problems are also the white rice, too much cheap palm oil, fat curries, too much coconut milk in the foo, sweet drinks, ice cream...

The American fast food makes it worse, but it isn't the reason.

• Like 1

I try to limit the amount of crap that my 7 year old eats. It's a battle though, her Mother actually thinks that she is being good to her child by bringing home loads of sweet fatty cakes, milkshakes and cookies.

At least I've managed to replace the sweet condensed milk on sweet white bread with honey on wholemeal. A small step, but at least in the right direction.

Would it be too much to ask Farmhouse to come up with a low sugar bread?

honey is still pure sugar....OK a bit better than the cheap sweet condensed milk (with added cheap fat), but not a big improvement....Honey is not as good as its reputation....

Pie and mash followed by rice pudding with jam and prunes with tuckshop GIANT wagon wheels never caused me a problem

However in Thai schools...many kids are fat, well fat (and in little politics this usually makes them a bully)

On site venders are not controlled, caterers are not monitored. Afternoons are spent at Milo travelling shows during parent paid school time.

The educators need to do thier job beyond the book and board. Kids options should be controlled until they are effectively educated. Example: would anybody in their right mind allow a person to drive a ton and a half of metal at 140kph without education in its functions, responsible use, highway code, driving ability and an eyesight test regardless of wether they have ample funds to purchase.

Mmmm... hand and foot disease, hand makes merit but the foot makes action (adjusted Thai proveb)

I met my (Thai) husband in the uk - he has some relatives there and I was surprised how they always seemed to be eating KFC and McDonald's - I just assumed they ate fresh food the rest of the time until my husband said no they often ate junk. When we moved here I was honestly unprepared for how much junk people ate and it was hard to try and stop people feeding my son crap. Of course the odd treat is fine and I understand that relatives like to spoil kids but the fact that I never saw anyone put a vegetable or glass of water in front of him ended up putting me off spending time with them as I just wanted to avoid any stress though of course we still see them a lot.

I always hold Italy up as an example of a country where the poor eat well and of course Italy now has one of the highest obesity rates in Europe - it is starting to happen here now.

I don't think junk food is 'american' any more - it's pretty international nowadays and the fact that the issue of eating junk and obesity has already happened in the uk and USA is irrelevant - its not about moralizing and saying who did it first or whose fault it is,but it's more about the fact that countries like Thailand (and Italy) need to learn from the mistakes of other countries. The information is already there for governments and other institutions. Let's hope someone does something to stop it getting so bad here but it's hard to see it happening unfortunately.

• Like 1

They need to change the idea and outlook of Thai Families then. To them, a fat child means they are wealthy and they are shoving these sweet foods down their throats.

Its not only sweet foods but simple carbohydrates such as white rice. Vegetable oils and (refined) palm oil are just as much to blame as well as soda's/cola's, especially the diet versions!!!

a black strip ? any pictures available or is this a strickly thai thing ??

what about schools stopping to serve junk ... rice and egss or noodles every other day ........???????

any somebody to watch the portion, but i guess that is too much to ask

what about those street vendors allowed in school selling french fries, sausages and other garbage food ??

a black strip ? any pictures available or is this a strickly thai thing ??

Zebra comes to mind

The problem of child obesity in Thailand is no less in rural areas , perhaps even more prevalent .

Young women have children because they don't afford the pill or can't be bothered to take it .

Babies are reared demand feeding from the breast , this is followed by demand feeding formular powdered milk , or giving a bottle of 3 in 1 ovaltine ,

35% sugar . Young mothers have no idea how to introduce solid food and let the children eat what they like and drink sodas .

As a co-grandparent with considerable knowledge and experience , I have tried gently to help and advise , but to no avail .

• Like 1

I met my (Thai) husband in the uk - he has some relatives there and I was surprised how they always seemed to be eating KFC and McDonald's - I just assumed they ate fresh food the rest of the time until my husband said no they often ate junk. When we moved here I was honestly unprepared for how much junk people ate and it was hard to try and stop people feeding my son crap. Of course the odd treat is fine and I understand that relatives like to spoil kids but the fact that I never saw anyone put a vegetable or glass of water in front of him ended up putting me off spending time with them as I just wanted to avoid any stress though of course we still see them a lot.

I always hold Italy up as an example of a country where the poor eat well and of course Italy now has one of the highest obesity rates in Europe - it is starting to happen here now.

I don't think junk food is 'american' any more - it's pretty international nowadays and the fact that the issue of eating junk and obesity has already happened in the uk and USA is irrelevant - its not about moralizing and saying who did it first or whose fault it is,but it's more about the fact that countries like Thailand (and Italy) need to learn from the mistakes of other countries. The information is already there for governments and other institutions. Let's hope someone does something to stop it getting so bad here but it's hard to see it happening unfortunately.

my wife tried to give the kids orange juice when someone visit us.....They really don't like that.

• Like 1

"... Example: would anybody in their right mind allow a person to drive a ton and a half of metal at 140kph without education in its functions, responsible use, highway code, driving ability and an eyesight test regardless of wether they have ample funds to purchase...."

An everyday occurrance on every Thai street. Welcome to the jungle

my wife tried to give the kids orange juice when someone visit us.....They really don't like that.

Unless it was freshly pressed orange juice it is extremely bad for you!!!

Good you are TRYING to do your little bit to help. But sorry -why not TRY telling your wife, seriously and firmly that she is being cruel to your child. You seem to be in the modern trend of condoning-like to keep the peace ???? If your child suffers as a result of being shovelled down LOADS of fatty cakes ,you will have to suffer the guilt. only trying to help thoughwink.png
  • Like 1

Yes, It's called Child Abuse.

Parents in this country should care more about their kids health

but the norm is Parents encouraging kids to overeat.

Because the fatter the kid the more money they are seen to have (มีเงิน)

Yes the "face" thing again.

But sometimes it's a cost issue, because

this is cheaper

http://www.thaifoodmaster.com/ingredient/meats/pork/686

than this in supermarkets

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-salad-greens.htm

Edited by LindsayBKK
  • Like 1

Come on we have all heard it, some fat, little glutinous turd being described as Na Luk (lovable/adorable). Often as the the child obesity pin-up stuffs even more food down their flatulent gob whilst flaked out in front of the TV. It will be a long time coming before these attitudes change where the said princely turd often is above any criticism. In fact have read the Chinese one child system has produced a generation of similar brats.

• Like 1

The traditional Thai diet does not cause obesity. Please view this video

if you want to understand the cause and effect of what is happening here, and in much of the world, today.

Yes!! the traditional Thai diet doesn't cause obesity, accepted.

Now tell me, what percent of Thai children eat the traditional diet? The traditional Thai diet to them is Mcdonalds, coke and chicken coated in crap soaked in poisonous oil - THAT'S precisely why they are obese and getting type 2 diabetes at such an early age in alarming numbers!!!!sad.png.

Pretty much all of the problems stem from the American food (not really an appropriate word for describing them) manufacturers, corn, soy and wheat farmers and the FDA and American politicians that are in their pockets!!! They should be ashamed of what they are doing but their profiteering out of sabotaging people's health takes away the guilt factor and instead promotes lie after lie to keep the money rolling in whilst people die as a consequence of their actions.

God bless America!!!!

• Like 1

Good you are TRYING to do your little bit to help. But sorry -why not TRY telling your wife, seriously and firmly that she is being cruel to your child. You seem to be in the modern trend of condoning-like to keep the peace ???? If your child suffers as a result of being shovelled down LOADS of fatty cakes ,you will have to suffer the guilt. only trying to help thoughwink.png

Raw unprocessed honey is good for you in extreme moderation but wholewheat bread, although better than other breads is still not healthy for you!!

The traditional Thai diet does not cause obesity. Please view this video

if you want to understand the cause and effect of what is happening here, and in much of the world, today.

Yes!! the traditional Thai diet doesn't cause obesity, accepted.

Now tell me, what percent of Thai children eat the traditional diet? The traditional Thai diet to them is Mcdonalds, coke and chicken coated in crap soaked in poisonous oil - THAT'S precisely why they are obese and getting type 2 diabetes at such an early age in alarming numbers!!!!sad.png.

Pretty much all of the problems stem from the American food (not really an appropriate word for describing them) manufacturers, corn, soy and wheat farmers and the FDA and American politicians that are in their pockets!!! They should be ashamed of what they are doing but their profiteering out of sabotaging people's health takes away the guilt factor and instead promotes lie after lie to keep the money rolling in whilst people die as a consequence of their actions.

God bless America!!!!

I agree. High fructose corn syrup is the major culprit. If you have time please view the video I linked to above. FDA does nothing, mostly for political reasons.