Suddenly Cannot Login To My Gmail Account

scorecard

Dear Moderators,

I posted a similar message in the internet etc., forum but no reply, can you please leave it here for a while, I need some urgent advice so I can access my gmail for business matters.

--------------------------------------

I opened a gmail e-mail account many years ago, and I use it many times every day, accessed here in Thailand. Suddenly this morning I cannot sign in.

Everything I try takes me to a screen where I'm invited to start a gmail e-mail account. I don't want that, I want to access my existing gmail account.

Any suggestions very much appreciated, thanks.

I'm just a lowly EE here.

but have you tried different browsers and different pc's?

and a reboot with the above?

Have you recently run antispy and antivirus?

All other operations on your pc looks and behaves nominal?

I personally have not had any issues with gmail today

gmail for business?

you don't use free services for business because of exactly that risk.....

If nothing helps you can try to send an email to google....my guess is that it is something like [email protected] and tell them someone has hacked your account. But I have no idea what they can do about it.

I've had Gmail since 2005 and have logged over 15,000 emails of which all have carefully been labeled for easy retrieval. In addition, I have 3 Google-related websites, hundreds of documents on Google Drive, and a blog through Google. I use it primarily for my work, so I know what kind of agony you are probably having about now. I really don't know what I'd do if my account could not be accessed, but here's a possible temporary work-around,

I had a similar situation with Gmail several months back. Turned out some kind of malicious cookie had worked its way into my computer, and redirected my login screen to a similar message. I finally could log in by first clearing my cache (at least the cookies, but I played it safe and cleared ALL the cache). Have you tried that? It allowed me to log in, but the cookie keeps coming back and I cannot isolate it, requiring me to clear the cache every single time I have to log in. If that's your situation, at least you can get to your account, after you jump through a few hoops.

Best of luck!

Edited by Fookhaht
  • Like 2

gmail for business?

...and even paid services have train wrecks from time to time throwing all their clients into chaos. Just Google "data services failure" for the awful horror stories. However, I certainly would concede that a paid service increases your chances of not losing your data. My work would not totally go into the toilet as I rigorously back up critical data, but I would certainly be hurting. sad.png

I've had Gmail since 2005 and have logged over 15,000 emails of which all have carefully been labeled for easy retrieval. In addition, I have 3 Google-related websites, hundreds of documents on Google Drive, and a blog through Google. I use it primarily for my work, so I know what kind of agony you are probably having about now. I really don't know what I'd do if my account could not be accessed, but here's a possible temporary work-around,

I had a similar situation with Gmail several months back. Turned out some kind of malicious cookie had worked its way into my computer, and redirected my login screen to a similar message. I finally could log in by first clearing my cache (at least the cookies, but I played it safe and cleared ALL the cache). Have you tried that? It allowed me to log in, but the cookie keeps coming back and I cannot isolate it, requiring me to clear the cache every single time I have to log in. If that's your situation, at least you can get to your account, after you jump through a few hoops.

Best of luck!

Thanks for sharing, I cleaned out the cookies you mentioned, and that seems to have done the trick, but, as you mentioned, I need to wait and see whether the same cookie returns.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

gmail for business?

...and even paid services have train wrecks from time to time throwing all their clients into chaos. Just Google "data services failure" for the awful horror stories. However, I certainly would concede that a paid service increases your chances of not losing your data. My work would not totally go into the toilet as I rigorously back up critical data, but I would certainly be hurting. sad.png

On a paid service you have someone you can call (at least it should be.....) I have all emails locally+own the domain name so if the company makes problems I don't loose old emails and I can change to a new server with low downtime.

But of course more work and some costs. But worth it for business.....

I always have problems with Gmail, whether I can sign in or not is always hit or miss, when it's a hit, no problem, when it's a miss, I am asked to start up a new account. How stupid is that? It's about 50-50 every time I try to sign in. Just as well it's not my main email account.

Best of luck!

Thanks for sharing, I cleaned out the cookies you mentioned, and that seems to have done the trick, but, as you mentioned, I need to wait and see whether the same cookie returns.

Thanks again.

Incidentally, I use three computers regularly (desktop, laptop, tablet), and the problem only occurs on my desktop--which leads me to believe it's an isolated problem on your single computer. I only discovered this problem because I was able to consistently login to Gmail on my other devices despite the problem on the desktop.

I am slowly resigning myself to the "FINAL SOLUTION:" reformatting the hard drive on my desktop to rid myself of the problem (among many others that have been developing). bah.gif

Edited by Fookhaht

Best of luck!

Thanks again.

Give it a scan with Adaware and with Spybot Search & Destroy.

Combining those two will get rid of most of the hidden adware/cookies/general dross on your PC.

I always have problems with Gmail, whether I can sign in or not is always hit or miss, when it's a hit, no problem, when it's a miss, I am asked to start up a new account. How stupid is that? It's about 50-50 every time I try to sign in. Just as well it's not my main email account.

Must be your ISP/Computer as I have a team of 15 and we use the accounts as a backup for work email. There's never a problem.

Must be your ISP/Computer as I have a team of 15 and we use the accounts as a backup for work email. There's never a problem.

Likewise, all 150 employees in my faculty use Gmail as backup for work email, as Gmail is more reliable than our own IT systems (I don't know how much that compliments Gmail or denigrates our system). In other words, all intra-faculty emails are backed up on Gmail servers. What it DOES say is that just about any problem you may have with Gmail probably stems from your ISP or computer as suggested.

Edited by Fookhaht

Likewise, all 150 employees in my faculty use Gmail as backup for work email, as Gmail is more reliable than our own IT systems (I don't know how much that compliments Gmail or denigrates our system). In other words, all intra-faculty emails are backed up on Gmail servers. What it DOES say is that just about any problem you may have with Gmail probably stems from your ISP or computer as suggested.

Got to agree. Using gmail for work e-mail can be very shrewd indeed. Most professional servers are not going to be cheap to use for an IMAP solution for your e-mail. Using gmail as a "layer" will give you 10Gb of online storage allowing a business to back up their e-mail real-time and access it on the fly. When you set up your gmail account you are asked for another e-mail address where log-in issues can be resolved in a few minutes with your mobile phone to hand. When they ask for those details that is why.

Plenty of my clients do this and are very pleased with the cost+time/reward equation.

No, this has happened with different computers and ISPs. But thanks anyway.

No, this has happened with different computers and ISPs. But thanks anyway.

Then you need to find what else they have in common other than GMail.

AV? Firewall?