Bike Seriously Hard.......................

thequietman

to start. Got it checked at honda. they checked the fuel filter,fuel line, the lot. Put new spark plug and changed the oil. But can't find the problem.

The problem has only occured for the past 2 weeks.

explanation by honda is its the new gasohol fuels, namely 91. He says lots of bike owners have been complaining about the same problem.

Anyone having starting issues recently ??

My bike is a 150 Honda Phantom 2 stroke.

Many thanks for any input.

Kick start or electric start ?

My SR400 is kickstart and is an absolute bitch to get going on gasahol, when it finally does start it does not run nice, drain tank and put in benzene and it starts first kick and runs sweet.

next to impossible to get benzine. bike has been running on 91 gasohol for 2 years now with no problems. kick started first time every time and now 10-12 kicks to get it going. Weird.

plus if I can find benzine its nearly 50 baht a litre.

Edited by thequietman

I have no issues getting benzene, infact I filled my fuel drum 2 days ago with 91....meh at the price, part of old bike ownership.

fair enough but why do you think the bike is having issues with the gasohol now but not before??

Mine struggles because it is not tuned for gasohol.

I have no issues getting benzene, infact I filled my fuel drum 2 days ago with 91....meh at the price, part of old bike ownership.

fair enough but why do you think the bike is having issues with the gasohol now but not before??

thanks. so I need to get the carb adjusted to run smoother ?

thanks. so I need to get the carb adjusted to run smoother ?

If it has had no issues for the past 2 years and this is a new development I would think putting a re-build kit through the carby would suffice as I reckon it is the assorted rubber seals/gaskets contained within breaking down due to the incompatibility with the ethanol content of the gasohol you are using.

Mine just hates it period.

Edited by Spoonman

If it has had no issues for the past 2 years and this is a new development I would think putting a re-build kit through the carby would suffice as I reckon it is the assorted rubber seals/gaskets contained within breaking down due to the incompatibility with the ethanol content of the gasohol you are using.

Mine just hates it period.

Re-build kit. ok thanks. where would I get one of those. any motorbike shop ? honda ?

I would just be rebuiling the carb replacing the worn parts, yes?? is it a big job ? expensive ??

I really like this old bike so would like to fix it if possible.

many thanks for your advice. it is appreciated. thumbsup.gif

A carby kit will have new gaskets and o rings (possibly a needle and seat). if any mechanical parts are worn they will be extra but I would just whack a kit in it first as the ethanol is hardest the most on perishable items.

Edited by Spoonman

Using my Fino at the mo, it goes through gasahol so quickly. I used to get 120km on benzene but down to a 100 or so on the other crap. Dreading the day not so long away when the big bike has to be filled again. I wish I knew were to buy benzene in Pattaya.

Using my Fino at the mo, it goes through gasahol so quickly. I used to get 120km on benzene but down to a 100 or so on the other crap. Dreading the day not so long away when the big bike has to be filled again. I wish I knew were to buy benzene in Pattaya.

At any Shell petrol station.

Try a hotter plug. smile.png If NGK, one point down, any other one point up.

just put a new spark plug. 200 baht. lady said it was a honda original. what does 1 point down mean please ??

I am not mechanically minded so I don't know what sort of spark plug.

Look at a plug, it has a letter and number ID. Because fuels are different now sometimes trying a hotter or colder plug fixes stuff. With any ride where tuning or fuel type is changed sometimes the plug doesn't like it. Do a google search for the plug you have and find an NGK plug equivalent, if it says blah 45, try find a 44. NGK, they are the best.

You have to hunt around. I have to go to either Sattahib or Ban ampur from Bang Saray area 20 klicks from Pattaya. PTT has 95 gasahol in the yellow pumps (only) I have noticed a couple of shops on sukimvette that carry the yellow.

The Shell at 2 Rd before it shut said no more benzene!

You have to hunt around. I have to go to either Sattahib or Ban ampur from Bang Saray area 20 klicks from Pattaya. PTT has 95 gasahol in the yellow pumps (only) I have noticed a couple of shops on sukimvette that carry the yellow.

I would have to take some fuel churns to make it worth while!

Yellow at PTT means 95 gasahol, I want benzene.

The Shell at 2 Rd before it shut said no more benzene!

The others along Sukhumvit Road have 91 Benzene.