True Adsl Bkk Very Slow

MKAsok

I have 2 True lines in Pattaya, 10Mbs ADSL and 50Mbs Docsis. Both have been struggling with foreign sites. Checked speeds on Speedtest and the ADSL had a ping of 485ms to BKK and speed was 0.5Mbs. Docsis speed was showing as OK but seems slower than normal.

But theres certainly seems to be an issue with True ADSL.

We have three True Online 13/1 DSL lines here and all are working fine. In fact, actual speed is 15.328/1.067 - not sure why they keep upping the speed? Full wire speed on FTPs from local seedbox.

I also support ~ 10 True Online DSL installs, mostly in metro-east (Dokmai/Prawet) and no complaints.

Service/performance has been brilliant for ages, of course now that I have a single point of contact at True who can remedy any situation I hardly ever have to call him. Figures.

Thanks lomatopo. Local speeds are fine. It's international speeds that are the problem. Almost non-existent.

Could you try downloading the 1 Gbit file from here and let me know what kind of speed you're getting? It's hosted on a OVH 10Gbps server and I'm currently getting around 6KBs per second on a 13/1 True ADSL line!

Thanks lomatopo. Local speeds are fine. It's international speeds that are the problem. Almost non-existent.

Could you try downloading the 1 Gbit file from here and let me know what kind of speed you're getting? It's hosted on a OVH 10Gbps server and I'm currently getting around 6KBs per second on a 13/1 True ADSL line!

Tried that for you and I was downloading at around 100KB/s.I'm on a 20 mb connection.All in all it seems quicker today.

Is it true (arf arf) that if you download too much via True Internet they reduce your speeds for the next 24 hrs ?

Perhaps that is the cause ? ...or if not; speeds like those mentioned would indicate a local network misconfiguration.

I'm having a few issues myself with CAT HiNET 7mbit/s. Choppy as hell. Up & Down like a yo-yo as you can see...

post-138519-0-44102300-1360517266_thumb.

Edited by RandomSand

Is it true (arf arf) that if you download too much via True Internet they reduce your speeds for the next 24 hrs ?

I've never experienced any kind of throttling from True and I FTP stupid amounts of data from my server. Like 20-30 GBs per day sometimes.

I have to say True were excellent when I called them yesterday and they even sent some tech dude over today, albiet by the time he arrived the issue seemed to have been resolved, presumably by their network people.

I've never experienced any kind of throttling from True and I FTP stupid amounts of data from my server. Like 20-30 GBs per day sometimes.

I have to say True were excellent when I called them yesterday and they even sent some tech dude over today, albiet by the time he arrived the issue seemed to have been resolved, presumably by their network people.

How do you know the cause of the issue that prompted your initial post wasn't that you could have been, in fact, throttled for 24hrs?!!

Don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to promote an argument, but you have already said that you FTP stupid amounts of data. smile.png

Do you know the limit for daily up/down load ?

Edited by RandomSand

^It's a fair point and one that occured to me yesterday. To test the theory, I rented another server on Comex in the UK. At the same time I was getting virtually nothing down from my OVH server in France, I was getting full speed from the Comex in the UK, so in the end I suspect some kind of peering issues between True and OVH rather than throttling.

The data limit on my True plan is listed on my account page as 'unlimited.'

^Thanks for that info lop. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who knows what these limits are and to what plans they apply.

As I stated above, I FTP sometimes for 12-14 hours straight and have never noticed any significant drop in speed. Multi-threading with CuteFTP maxes out my connection from OVH in France. In fact, I even have to throttle the connection in the client to 1,000 KB/s or it overpowers everything else.

To test the theory, I rented another server on Comex in the UK. At the same time I was getting virtually nothing down from my OVH server in France, I was getting full speed from the Comex in the UK, so in the end I suspect some kind of peering issues between True and OVH rather than throttling.

That should be Cogent, not Comex.

There does seem to be some speed limiting going on at times but as others have said its often the international connection that is the issue not the domestic internet in Thailand. If you test to a local site and it quick and then to a site OS you often see where the problem is on a particular day. The carriers in Thailand are having as much difficulty keeping up with demand for data usage both mobile and stationary as in the US, Australia or many other countries. The issues are not unique to Thailand but maybe here we starting from a lower base. I have True ADSL at Home, TOT at the office and AIS on the smart phone, they all seem to have good days and some very bad days.

Ah yes, that word 'unlimited' again. Has ever a word been so abused as of late?

In fairness, as I've said above, I've never experienced any data limits and throttling in around 6 years of using True internet and I download a shit ton of data. Maybe that will change, but it's certainly been the case up to this point.

On the upside, since the issue has been resolved, my modem is reporting 15 down, 1 up (my plan is 13/1), which is pretty sweet.

Unlimited but believe they have specific hourly download limits for speeds in the fine print of newer plans last several years (do not believe available in English anymore).

Yeap...here's a cut-and-paste of Fair Use Policy area from the TrueOnline Terms and Conditions...it's in Thai but I think it's still self explanatory in the limits per hour. Couldn't find the English language Terms and Conditions on the True website...seems True cuts back on the amount of English on their website each day.

post-55970-0-05168300-1360747528_thumb.j