Corroding Mirrors ....

luudee

How do I stop my bathroom mirrors from corroding ?

It seems every 3 years I have to replace them.

It starts around the outside edges, but than I also start

getting spots in the piddle of the mirror that spread ...

Any suggestions appreciated ...

luudee

assume you mean the silvering is flaking? probably related to the quality and the humidity in your bathroom.I

guess you could try painting the backs with some oil based paint or silicon spray( test first as may pull the lot off.!!.lol) or try to find better quality silvered mirrors.?

We have a few cheapies in bathrooms and bedrooms...some slight spots appearing on the one .probably just buy a new one if it gets too bad....or maybe just a picture of me 40 years ago....sick.gif

Hi David,

it's not really flaking, but corroding. At first only on the sides, but than I get

also random spots all over the surface.

"Better Quality" might be tough ... I'll try to ask the guys who make custom

glass ... may be they know. Don't want to mess around with paint and silicone ...

Thanks,

luudee

I am confused. how does a mirror corrode? as far as I know, metals corrode, and mirrors are made of glass.

So I am either not understanding the question ore you are not explaining well.

Is it the silver backing of the glass that makes the glass in to mirror, delaminating? if so a better quality mirror might be in order, or a way to reduce the humidity in the room. Or is it the mirror frame, that might be made of metal that corrodes? Them again a better quality stainless steel metal frame might be in order , or a mirror with a plastic or wood frame.

If it is the silver backing of the mirror that is delaminating , this might help http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg011825161733.html

Unpainted Surfaces

Mirrors should never be mounted directly onto untreated surfaces such as concrete block walls, unpainted plaster, plywood, etc. Chemical releases by these surfaces will corrode the mirror. Metal framed mirrors, allowing for circulation of air, have the advantage of protecting the mirror’s edge from direct exposure to elements. In bathroom situations, it is almost always recommended to have mirrors fully framed, even if edge sealing is done.

Black Edge – Degradation of Mirror Edges

Mirror is a luxurious sophisticated product combining a film of pure silver with protective overlayers to provide a high quality product for both personal and decorative purposes. The manufacturing process ensures maximum adhesion of the silver coating to the surface of the glass and then applies further overcoatings to protect the silver from degradation. Water or moisture tarnishes silver and is the enemy of mirrors.

This is true with the edge of mirrors, especially when the manufacturing seal has been disturbed by edge working and is exposed to moisture penetration of the silver coating.

More here

@

I am confused. how does a mirror corrode? as far as I know, metals corrode, and mirrors are made of glass.

So I am either not understanding the question ore you are not explaining well.

Is it the silver backing of the glass that makes the glass in to mirror, delaminating? if so a better quality mirror might be in order, or a way to reduce the humidity in the room. Or is it the mirror frame, that might be made of metal that corrodes? Them again a better quality stainless steel metal frame might be in order , or a mirror with a plastic or wood frame.

If it is the silver backing of the mirror that is delaminating , this might help http://ths.gardenweb...1825161733.html

Yes it is the silver backing which I guess is metal based that starts to corrode.

All mirrors I had so far, did not have a frame ...

Thanks for the link, I will check it out ...

luudee

Unpainted Surfaces

Mirrors should never be mounted directly onto untreated surfaces such as concrete block walls, unpainted plaster, plywood, etc. Chemical releases by these surfaces will corrode the mirror. Metal framed mirrors, allowing for circulation of air, have the advantage of protecting the mirror’s edge from direct exposure to elements. In bathroom situations, it is almost always recommended to have mirrors fully framed, even if edge sealing is done.

Black Edge – Degradation of Mirror Edges

Mirror is a luxurious sophisticated product combining a film of pure silver with protective overlayers to provide a high quality product for both personal and decorative purposes. The manufacturing process ensures maximum adhesion of the silver coating to the surface of the glass and then applies further overcoatings to protect the silver from degradation. Water or moisture tarnishes silver and is the enemy of mirrors.

This is true with the edge of mirrors, especially when the manufacturing seal has been disturbed by edge working and is exposed to moisture penetration of the silver coating.

More here

My mirror is on top of tiles. Last one had a plastic mounting bracket with kept it about 1 cm of the wall.

Thanks for the link, I will read up on it ...

luudee