Learn Thai... Or Take Esl ? Looking To Meet People Mostly

driedmango

Hi, I just was thinking If I go back to Thailand I am going to either take a ESL course or a Thai language course.

I mostly want to do it to meet some solid people of western and also thai backgrounds..

I was thinking Chaing Mai, I just don't want to sign up to something that has 8 students or something .. I am looking to go somewhere that is going to be fun and meet people.. big classes... or whatnot..

Where have you studied and how was that ?

Thanks

From what I've seen, Thai group classes are mostly retirement-aged male farang. Often, the classes aren't even attended; many students just want the visa. You could probably meet some nice Thai teachers that way; some schools hire on looks to get the retirement-aged male farang to sign up.

ESL on the other hand is usually a 50/50 mix of younger (20's and 30's) farang. I will say this though - often the ESL classes are very intense, and might not be a fun way to spend your time. Thai classes are as easy/hard as you want them to be.

Another option is to join a Thai class in a school that caters to asians learning Thai. You won't meet many if any farang in school, but the ones you do will generally be young and motivated, and you will be extremely popular with the asian students.

• Like 1

From what I've seen, Thai group classes are mostly retirement-aged male farang. Often, the classes aren't even attended; many students just want the visa. You could probably meet some nice Thai teachers that way; some schools hire on looks to get the retirement-aged male farang to sign up.

ESL on the other hand is usually a 50/50 mix of younger (20's and 30's) farang. I will say this though - often the ESL classes are very intense, and might not be a fun way to spend your time. Thai classes are as easy/hard as you want them to be.

Another option is to join a Thai class in a school that caters to asians learning Thai. You won't meet many if any farang in school, but the ones you do will generally be young and motivated, and you will be extremely popular with the asian students.

I was the only farang in my class, mostly Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese mostly under 30.

A few housewives studying as a way of meeting people and giving themselves something to do.

This was UTL in Bkk, a bargain at 6,000 baht per month.

• Like 1