Magellan Vs Mercedes

For some reason the Magellan navigating system will not 'see' through the windscreen of either of my Bangkok cars.

This test took place in the USA.

My Magellan car navigation system went head to head with my Mercedes navigator and the latter was knocked out in the first round. Actually the MB didn't suffer a KO right away; but, its first driving instruction asked me to go the wrong way on a one way street and it followed that with telling me to make an illegal left turn.

For the better part of two hours I simultaneously tested both machines over the same route. Even though the software in the MB is newer than that in the Magellan the latter machine out performed the MB in almost every category.

1) The Magellan screen was always pointed in the direction that you were going while the top of the MB display always pointed north even if the car was going south.

2) The Magellan screen was clearer and offered more details...like street names.

3) The Magellan told the real driving distance between A and B while the MB gave the how-the-bird-flies distance.

4) The Magellan gave you choices (shortest, fastest, most freeways, no freeways) while the MG did not.

5) The Magellan took my car to the exact address while the MB took my car to the street.

6) Both voices were feminine; but the MB voice sounded like that of a dungeon queen: I could see her dressed in black leather.

7) The Magellan can be moved from car to car.

8) The MB does not hog my cigarette lighter.

Does the Magellan have a map of BKK? Also, to get around the windscreen problem, mount an external antenna that will relay the signal into the interior of the car.

Garmin has a good English map of BKK. I don't like outside antennas.....I wish I could find a hidden one.

Does the Magellan have a map of BKK? Also, to get around the windscreen problem, mount an external antenna that will relay the signal into the interior of the car.

Garmin has a good English map of BKK. I don't like outside antennas.....I wish I could find a hidden one.

But if you could find it, that means its no longer hidden :D

sorry couldn't help myself there :o

But if you could find it, that means its no longer hidden :D

sorry couldn't help myself there :D

:o But, does anyone know of an external 'ear' that can be used with a Garmin or Magellan. Something that might hide on a small clip on the boot lid or in the grill? I don't fancy sticking a magnet on my roof with a wire leading in through the window.