Nasty Us Customs Acttitude

raxxal

Sawadee,

I went to Thailand a couples month ago. Coming back to the US, the US immigration did not say much, but oh boy, a nasty woman of the US customs started asking all kind of question, she wanted to know everything I was doing in Thailand. The only thing she did not ask for was how many time I made love. I was searched, interrogated, etc, etc.

I wonder why this behavior of the US custom. On the eyes of the US custom, it seems to me that every single male that goes to Thailand goes there because he is looking for girls. Has any one out there experienced this kind of behavior from the US custom?

The impresion this woman gave to me was, if you met the girl already, she must be somewhere in your luggage.

I told a friend of mine about this incident, he said to me: "Wait until you go to the US Embassy in Bangkog, and you will see what a nasty person is."

It is the job of US Customs to ask you questions. If you have any specific problems you are free to report them to officials but your post does not provide many details and could be considered a troll by some.

As for your "friend" can only say that I have always received proper treatment by anyone I met at the US Embassy.

It is the job of US Customs to ask you questions. If you have any specific problems you are free to report them to officials but your post does not provide many details and could be considered a troll by some.

As for your "friend" can only say that I have always received proper treatment by anyone I met at the US Embassy.

You must be a lucky guy, or may be you are at the Embassy not in the deal of trying to get a visa for your girl. Well, I have been told the same thing for more than one person.

Heh heh, Georgie :D .

I fly back to the US every year to visit my family and the only time I have ever had any difficulty with Customs officials was when I didn't clear customs at a major airport like LA or SFO but at the airport in the mid-western city where my parents live. Every time I have been through customs in LA or SFO it has been a very cursory examination, even when I had goods to declare. On the other hand, out in the boonies where my folks live, all they can think of from Thailand is drugs so they searched my bags thoroughly. I learned my lesson and never flew a direct flight to there again. As with most bureaucrats, sometimes you get people with a bad day, but if you are pleasant, polite and friendly, usually things go smoother. Of course, this bit of advice works in all aspects of life :o

• 1 month later...

All of the comments say about the same message:

1. I am from THAILAND entering through the US-Border Police filtering

2. I am in THAILAND contacting the US-Embassy, the US-State Department

In both cases, for either US State Department or for US Immigration or US Customs [now joined as ICE=immigration+customs enforcement]

...standard training is: all first contacts [with aliens or with thai's] for visitors from

or within Thailand are to be suspected for thruthfulness {thai's and all asians are treated from the onset as liars, comes from US-Police experience}

It's actually no different than meeting the father of your girlfriend, you get looked over, especially if you have been 'over there'. Sorry Thailand, you've got a Rep.

It is easy to smooth contacts with either: polite, friendly, no pompousness [do what I want becuase I'm american citizen and my thai girlfriend...wants...blah]

It is that easy. It is also smart to choose who you talk to, everyone can be in a bad mood.

This comment goes double for thai police, be simple and polite, but be smart in choosing who you talk to. Thai Police, if you're not respectful enough or too friendly

can get suspecious, ...because in Thai training and Thai mindset, falangs cannot be trusted, lie, ....and have drugs, money, etc, are 'bad-guys'

comprehende?

raxxal I have been to the US Embassy in Thailand on numerous occasions no problems. As for the guys there trying to get visas for their gf's and having bad experiences have a look at the lot that are sitting ther waiting to be interviewed etc. I have.

It looks more like a waiting room for girls being interviewed for a job at a go go bar. A quick trip to the mall for some decent attire would work wonders for their experience at least in terms of looks and attitude they get.

I must say that the officials at the US embassyin Bangkok are alright. They were quite business-like and also polite the few times I've been in there. Customs officials at US border entry points are much more polite than some customs people in other countries that I've visited.

As European living in Asia for almost 30 years, I can say, that USA is not really open to American men, who like the idea to marry a foreign wife from Asia.

Compare that regulations with those in Europe or with those in Japan.

Regulations are unusual strict for a nation, which claims to be the center of freedom in this world.

Besides critics of radical feminists, racist motivated hate by American Asians and such groups, the Government does not encourage indeed the American man bringing back a foreign wife into the USA.

Every single male US-citizen passing the customs coming from Asia is indeed considered to bring earlier or later a girl into the USA for the reason becoming his wife. Ask them, why all these men do not want to look for a local girl from the States.....(but this is another matter)

USA does not provide visas of invitation, as we do here in Japan or in Europa, so it is difficult to invite your girl-friend if she is from an economic weak country in Asia to join for some vacation in the USA. She is somehow forced to marry.

The visa-procedure regarding my daughter, who is living in the USA, and married to an US-citizen, took about 8 months. She was living in Canada for years, and has Japanese nationality, financially secure, healthy, and visited the USA several times as a tourist. She was married formally already to that US-citizen in Canada and we do not complain, as finally all was working out as expected.

It is difficult to deal with US-immigration regarding Asian nationals, ask some Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese or Filipinos.....and of course their American friends.

Johann

Hmmm Never had any issues with US Customs or UK Customs when coming back from Thailand. Maybe you look dodgey or suspicious. :D

Did have a laff last time at Heathrow- dutymen stopped a Thai Gal, poor muppet must have had 100 Cartons of ciggies and a large quantity of bootleg cds/dvds. :o

Hey, US Customs is a breeze compared to say, Brazil! My wife was coming back from BKK one time into Rio with a suitcase pretty near full of Nam Prik and all kinds of other food you can't get down there (unless you go into Sao Paulo Chinatown).

Anyhow, that particular suitcase busted open in Customs and literally blew people outa there! Needless to say, she's been "Red Flagged" ever since. :o

Concur w/sbk on which airport in the states is more professional. With Northwest flying to Tokyo direct from Minneapolis, that's one w/few hassles.

Boon Mee

Actually Johann the US has far to much experience dealing with the little lovelies that US servicemen have brought back to the US over the decades. Too many in the Us esopecially the gov't know far to well about the brides from Thailand and Vietnam from the Vietnam war years. As well they have a long long history of knowing about the lovely ladies from the Phillipines from the US bases there.

The stories are to long and really not worth arguing over lets just say unfortunately the majority of little ladies were brought back from whatever go go/massage parlor these lovestruck fools met them in and they were far from being of the highest moral character far to many being in love with the US and not the guy.

Does it hurt the the other girls who are good from good families? Of course it does but then again life is not fair. And as far as asking your "thats another story" about why men from the US go looking for wives elsewhere the same can be said of your homeland and that of your European brethren.

Europe per capita far far far surpasses the US in men searching for wives elsewhere. Although I do not want this taken to mean that I am saying US women are the greatest as I am not. I think the majority are the same as their European counterparts and thus the reason why we all are begining in ever larger numbers to search elsewhere for brides, especially those of us who are past our 20's.

Europe and the US as well as all countries have their wonderfully charming loving women to which one would be lucky enough to have as a bride. Unfortunately they are for the most part married by the time they are 25.

First imagine the type of person who would actually apply for and then get a US customs job... OKAY? Now imagine what they have to do. They profile people all day long and put up with hundreds of <deleted> a day.

Now couple it with the stress of the constant 911 drizzle and homeland security ripple effect...

You'd probably handle it worse, but then you're not a customs agent.

Be glad you didn't get the enema treatment.

If you want to get through cleanly. Look cleaner.

Image is everything, unless you get the random private screening behind the black curtain.

I actually thought that I would get hassles from US customs when I went there over christmas. I came from Burma, a sanctioned country and perhaps a place to get dubious substances or other such things. As it was I was debating weather to be truthful or just try to blag it, in the end, I decided to own up to where I came from etc and deal with it blow by blow.

So there I am, at the customs desk, and the guy says "so, where are you coming from"

I replied "Burma", he replied "oh - where is that?"

......and then I was asked "so have you got all your *shit* checked out, ok fine, go that way"

Alough on my departure, I was impressed with my laptop being given a full internal examination 3 times. No, actually I was not :|

./P

Yes Sir no Sir , three bags full Sir, always works for me. :o Politeness works better than anything else. I don't care how much they search me, I don't carry anything they want to see. As far as the Thai U.S. Embassy and Thai Immigration

are concerned, they have always treated me fairly and with due respect. Politeness and presentation are the keys, even if it doesn't always work, it will in the long run. :D

Never had a problem with US customs although I have had my stuff gone through very well a couple of times. I used to travel with a lot of vitamines, herb and homeopathic medicines. They were very interested in open bottles of white talbets.

Once I gave a small lecture on natural medicine and the agent asked me questions about her mom's case. :o

Yes Sir no Sir , three bags full Sir, always works for me. :o  Politeness works better than anything else. I don't care how much they search me, I don't carry anything they want to see. As far as the Thai U.S. Embassy and Thai Immigration

are concerned, they have always treated me fairly and with due respect. Politeness and presentation are the keys, even if it doesn't always work, it will in the long run. :D

have never had a problem with the us embassy officers and thai immigration officers, i have full respect for them.

i am always polite to us customs however, i think they are a pain in the ass. i was going back and forth from thailand years ago almost every 60 days. everytime there was some power trip goofball questioning me over and over why i have so many cambodian visas.

showing business cards, work permits for thailand and cambodia never helped. every time they ripped through my bags like canines in heat, and then when they finally gave up not finding drugs they just walked away. i did notice the searches became shorter when i would put the dirty underwear and socks on top.

all searches finally stopped when i got married and every time since then i open my passport to one of my extension stamps that says THAI WIFE.

All of these types of experiences are anecdotal, but I concur that US customs officials are very capable of being extremely rude to incoming US citizens who have been to countries on their red flag lists. Thailand is definitely high on their list.

I always enter the US in San Francisco, and about half the time it is unpleasant. The questioners are usually very sarcastic in tone when asking for details about the trip. They sometimes want to know the exact destinations in Thailand. Once when asked whether my trip was business or pleasure, and I replied vacation, the official replied "so you were on vacation, were you?" and then sent me for a complete luggage search. In my case, I have almost come to expect semi abusive treatment, so it might be true that the officials can smell the fear, and respond to it.

It is my impression that you are more likely to be hassled in San Francisco if you are ending your trip in San Francisco. Don't know if this applies to other entry points. If they see you have a tight flight connection, I think they are less likely to bother you.

Over the years, however, I have come to these conclusions, and even picked up a few tricks that seem to reduce the chance of rude treatment:

1. Don't dress too conservatively. This is counterintutive, I know. It can look like you are hiding something if you look too straight laced. I have noticed folks dressed like they are still on vacation (tropical shirts, sandals) are usually left alone.

2. If asked for specific destinations, do not say Pattaya or Chiang Mai (associated with trekking and drugs) even if you were there. Phuket and Bangkok are fine. My favorite trick is to mention places they haven't heard of, Hua Hin is a real winner.

3. Take in some processed food item that is legal to bring and then mark YES on the bringing in food item. Durian cake in plastic is excellent for this. This guarantees that you will be questioned, but the focus will be on the food, and they will inspect the processed food, and be distracted by your honesty, and most likely there will be no other questions. However, your bags will be scanned, so if you are looking for the big win (an easy fast walk outta there) this ploy is out.

4. Being a single male traveller is a red flag. Sometimes they will ask if you were travelling alone. They want to hear that you were with another farang. When I am travelling with another farang, they are always on another flight to another city, so saying that can be effective too. If asked, always say you were NOT travelling alone.

5. Complexity is your friend sometimes. These guys need to make spot decisions. Complexity is not something they want to deal with. Recently, I had a very true, very complex story about the details of my trip, and I started to tell the truth of it, the guys eyes glazed over, and he waved me through.

6. It is better to tell the truth if the truth is something they like to hear. Some people are better liars than others, and they are trained to spot nervous liars. However, if the truth is damaging (like you were on a two week hill tribe trek), by all means LIE!

7. If you do feel fear about going through customs and/or sweat easily, try this trick. Think of something you fear MORE than customs officials. An open fanged king cobra is a good bet.

Clearly, there is no sure thing. I totally disagree that smiling is always the answer. There are so many factors that go into these spot judgements, and don't kid yourself that age and ethnicity are not a factor too.

I have a funny experience with the last time I was subject to a complete luggage search. The inspector was most interested in looking at the BOOKS in my luggage. I think they are trained to make assumptions about people based on their reading material. I had two books. One was the Dalai Lama's Art of Happiness. The look on the inspectors face when he saw that book was priceless. He was clearly an unsophisticated sort, and was tripping out on the funny looking monk in robes on the cover. I also had an English language politically oriented novel that was translated from Spanish. The inspector flipped through the pages several times, and then made this comment, in an a semi accusatory tone. "So you speak Spanish?" "No," I replied, the book is an English language book. Real bright folks we have doing these jobs.

Happy travelling!

Been through San Fran a dozen or so times and not a single incident. Customs are always courteous and professional.

2 Questions asked: Coming from what Country? Business or Pleasure? If Business they normally ask what sort and I explain briefly. I have never been stopped or hassled. I find smiling and being friendly goes a long way.

All and All no problems! :o

As European living in Asia for almost 30 years, I can say, that USA is not really open to American men, who like the idea to marry a foreign wife from Asia.

Regulations are unusual strict for a nation, which claims to be the center of freedom in this world.

Besides critics of radical feminists, racist motivated hate by American Asians and such groups, the Government does not encourage indeed the American man bringing back a foreign wife into the USA.

Oh dear, here he goes again. This guy is always good for a laugh, isn't he?

Probably he is actually posting in a clever parady of those dim-witted Europeans who can turn nearly any subject into an angry rant against Americans, or maybe he actually is...nah, this rubbish couldn't be for real.

Two out of the three highest ranking diplomats at the US Embassy are married to Asian women as well as countless lower ranking diplomats. But, come to think of it, maybe it's just some kind of weird manifestitation of their 'racist hate'.......

I'd like to see a line up of all us here. Then I'd profile the lot. It would be fun:

"It's behind the black curtain for you Thaiquila. This is a strip search!"

"You, Yohan, take these Ex-lax. This bull-dyke will be joining you in the restroom."

"Ah, Mr. Kringle, this way, please. Have a nice stay."

The main problem is that most of us probably look like shit after 15+ hours on a plane.

Gather round the fire now, kids. My anecdotal story was in Hawaii, way back before 911, when the pudgy customs guy, having glossed over my exploded bottle of Astroglide and 50+ left over rubbers, had finally managed to empty my entire suitcase. In the bottom wedged in the corner was a small plastic bag with some green stuff in it.

"What's this?" He asked.

"Um, I don't know. Let me see." Preparing for something bad, though having not partaken in any canibus activities while abroad.

He held it high in the air and examined it under the lights. As he turned the package over between his fingers I noticed some Japanese writing on it.

"Ah, that would be furakaki. Seaweed, you know? Good on popcorn." I informed him, that I had a stop over in Japan.

At that, he gave me all my crap to pack again and flicked the furakaki into the pool of Astroglide.

It's hit and miss with customs agents. Now, they have random spot checks that aren't even based on profiling. But, they do profile! So, look nice and as Kringle said, "be polite."

On my last trip to the States, the man asked me where I'd been.

"Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia, India, China, and..."

"Pakistan?" He asked.

"Nope." I replied and was shown the exit.

Regardless, there's plenty of bad eggs out there. Just be glad you don't have their job.

M. Pigglet

I never said I wasn't a pig. :o

Gather round the fire now, kids.  My anecdotal story was in Hawaii, way back before 911, when the pudgy customs guy, having glossed over my exploded bottle of Astroglide and 50+ left over rubbers, had finally managed to empty my entire suitcase.

quote1.jpg

Oh dear, here he goes again. This guy is always good for a laugh, isn't he?

Probably he is actually posting in a clever parady of those dim-witted Europeans who can turn nearly any subject into an angry rant against Americans, or maybe he actually is...nah, this rubbish couldn't be for real.

Two out of the three highest ranking diplomats at the US Embassy are married to Asian women as well as countless lower ranking diplomats. But, come to think of it, maybe it's just some kind of weird manifestitation of their 'racist hate'.......

I have family members living in the USA and have also friends who are holding USA-nationality. This thread is called *nasty US Customs Attitude* and was started obviously by an US citizen, and it should be possible for me to post my opinion there, too.

I am not an overall *American Basher*, but critical about this and that - you can read all about on my own home-pages. Also my posting in this thread is not an angry rant.....

I said, immigration rules are unusual strict for foreign wives, who like to marry an American man - (includes my own daughter)

I said, there are no visas of personal invitations, as we use them to have in Japan and in Europe for people we like to invite. (includes my own daughter and visitors we welcome from other Asian countries here in my home in Japan)

I said, there are feminists and American Asians, who hatefully oppose any immigration of Asian women into the US and who attack any white male, who has an Asian wife. (just read some of my e-mail I am receiving!)

and so on....

I think, these are some reasons why somebody started this thread called *nasty US Customs Attitude*

and as it must result in some unusual checks at the US customs.

Yes, this is my opinion....

http://www2.gol.com/users/johann

http://www2.gol.com/users/johann/g/america.htm

and other linked pages.

To Mr. OldAsiaHand:

I am well accustomed to posters like you. Unlike you however, I do not see any reason to stay in hiding. My identity is no secret and I stay to my opinion.

Always when people like you are showing up, they do their best, to stay in hiding and to avoid any clear discussion about the subject, but accusing the others....

Who are you?

On my own homepages there is a messageboard, a link to a discussion forum of my German friend, and a guest book and a reference to my e-mail.

We can discuss it out there anytime (but not here in this forum, this is not the place for it) but when you show up next time for discussion with me, then please sign with your real name.

Johann

Strange but true. Back in the late seventies, I was crossing into Canada at the Blackpool border crossing. I was on a Greyhound, as I was pretty hard-up at the time. The Canadian Customs officer wasn't too sure about me and passed me onto his plain clothes colleague in a small side office. After explaining to this guy that I was going to spend a couple of weeks with an old friend who lived in an outer suburb of Montreal, free of charge and for only a couple of weeks, he made a phone call to that person to varify my story. He then stamped my passport with an entry visa for one month, apologised for the delay and sent me on my way. Well, 12 years later!!!! I was at the same customs post and in the same situation. This time I was sent to their new suite of offices across the road, told to sit in a small office and await a customs officer who would interview me. When the guy came we started talking about my travels throughout the USA. Suddenly, there was a voice from the other office, Hey! I know you, you came through here 12 years ago and went to stay with the gal who lives in blah, blah , blah!! I couldn't believe this guy. He even remembered my first name, almost to the day that I passed through the border, and the girls family name! Not only did his colleague stamp my passport but he, at the end of his shift, drove me to my friends front door. So, it appears that all customs people aren't w***ers, some have incredible memories and they do treat people like human beings.

re the above...apochryphal, untenable and highly unlikely. Persons arriving at immigration and customs facilities everywhere should be allowed to slide a round into Mr 9mm's chamber and demand a suitable explanation for any delay or inconvenience...the McTerror angle does not hold up as well as a Big Mac...

Oh, did I mention that I am often mistakenly taken for being an Iraqi, and when I have a meal at the local Iranian restaurants, the waiters try to speak to me in Farsi. That couldn't have anything with the rude treatment I often receive, could it?

I've travelled to & from LOS and the US 3 times in the past year or so. The Customs and Imm. people seemed to get more & more rude and hostile each time. In contrast, the Thai, Cambodian and Malay officials that I've dealt with have been much more friendly and courtious. It's been more of an attitude change than anything else. The Americans seemed more suspicious and unfriendly, especially in contrast with the officials that I had just dealt with overseas.

I've been to the US Embassy twice & the service there was quick and polite. No complaints with them.